Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst View Post

I use one in my Pilot connected the video1 input of a DDX812. I did use 2 diodes in serial to drop the voltage to 12 volts when the car is running. The remote still controls the unit under the passenger seat from the reflected IR.

Hi:

Thank you for replying. Sorry to get back to you somewhat after the fact. I'm curious about using the box while the engine is running. Is it really necessary to add those 2 diodes? In other words do you think it'll toast the box if you used it without those diodes, with the engine running?

My own interest in the 12v aspect is for when the power goes out. I have one of those booster packs with a 14-ah battery and a 5-inch b/w tv that runs off 12v. I just need to get the proper cord for the Artec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeter105 View Post

I have been using a T3A PRO box since about sometime last summer and I am generally satisfied with the unit. Also, some members were wondering about 12v or emergency usage for these units. I found the following webpages that will be of interest. They all feature the T3A Pro and how to hook it up for 12v. The second link even has them hooking it up to 2 lantern batteries and outputting it to one of those handheld tv's.

www(dot)ezdigitaltv(dot)com/RVs_and_Converter_Boxes.html
www(dot)digitaltvtrainer(dot)com/national/showme-battery-tv-converter
www(dot)digitaltvtrainer(dot)com/national/converter-car-rv

I too am concerned about receiving the latest emergency news bulletins and need to run on battery power. I was using a small 5" B&W NTSC TV indoors, but my 8" digital TV requires an outdoor antenna. I knew about the first link, but I didn't know about the other two; thanks! I'll post them for you:

http://ezdigitaltv.com/RVs_and_Converter_Boxes.html

http://digitaltvtrainer.com/national...y-tv-converter

http://digitaltvtrainer.com/national/converter-car-rv

I would like to add this one from their excellent site:
http://www.digitaltvtrainer.com/nati...h-tv-power-off

I'm using a small sinewave inverter, the Exeltech XP125, which comes with a cigarette lighter plug which fits the jack on my J900 and ES2500 12volt 17Ah jumper packs.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
Old 03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I'm curious about using the box while the engine is running. Is it really necessary to add those 2 diodes? In other words do you think it'll toast the box if you used it without those diodes, with the engine running?

To paraphrase holl_ands: Just because a piece of equipment has an input jack that is marked 12VDC, doesn't mean that it is a good idea to connect it to the 12V system of a vehicle.

The problem is the tolerance limits on the voltage. I have an 8" TV that has a regulated switchmode AC adapter that very closly regulates the 12V. I asked Audiovox what the tolerance on the 12volts was, but never got an answer. So, to be conservative, I decided to either use the AC adapter with an inverter, or make a battery pack that has a voltage regulator to duplicate the performance of the AC adapter.

I also asked the manufactuer of a CECB that needs 5VDC (not Zinwell) about the voltage tolerance limits if I run it DIRECTLY on batteries. The answer that I got was that I should use an inverter; not too helpful. The sales people in the US would have to ask an engineer overseas that question, which is not likely.
Even if the engineer was asked, he might not know because he had assumed that the box would always be used with the voltage regulated adapter.

One of the excellent links that you listed, talks about using a box on a lower voltage and it still behaves. But, what about using it on a higher voltage? How much is too much for a 12 volt box:---14 volts---15 volts---when will it fry? Which one of us is willing to keep increasing the voltage until our box goes up in smoke? The two diodes in series provide about a 0.6 volt drop for each, a total of 1.2 volts when the vehicle is running. The voltage in my car is about 12 volts when not running, and about 14.5 volts when recharging the battery after starting.

Last night I measured the input voltage and current of my Artec T3A Pro:
OFF: 12.04 volts @ 5.8 mA
ON: 11.96 volts @ 0.31 A
The current when off is lower than many other boxes. There still has to be a little current in order for the remote control to turn it ON. I measured the input voltage and current of my Zinwell ZAT-970A:
OFF: 5.08 volts @ 0.16 A
ON: 4.99 volts @ 0.69 A
Notice how much current it draws even when "OFF," almost 25 % of the ON current.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM

Liked: 10
Any idea on what is different between the T3AP and the T3AP-LL models? Neither are the Pro version.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:56 PM

I have the T3AP Pro version with analog pass through and it works quite well.

Has anyone tried using a mobile adapter and plugging it in the cigarette lighter of a car?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:48 PM

This might be the wrong thread, but I think the only difference between the T3AP and the T3AP-PRO is that the pro has more buttons on the case. Today I got a T3AP-LL, and everything looks the same as the T3AP except the model number has the "LL" at the end.

Regarding 12VDC, yes you can power it on a cigarette lighter adapter, just make sure your TV does not have a positive ground. Read the motor home thread in this forum for more info.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsyd View Post

....I think the only difference between the T3AP and the T3AP-PRO is that the pro has more buttons on the case. Today I got a T3AP-LL, and everything looks the same as the T3AP except the model number has the "LL" at the end.......

i have both the ARTEC T3AP and the T3AP-PRO .....youre right, the only difference i can tell is the PRO has POWER/VOLUME/CHANNEL buttons on top....the non-pro version has only a POWER button on top...and both of mine have the same firmware version (sorry, i cant remember what it is)....

i've never heard of the LL version....maybe its the latest production version with newer firmware? the 2 i have were delivered about 6 weeks ago...

*** its high time to go back to OTA antennas and CANCEL our cable/satellite pay tv services! their greed is totally & insanely out of control! ***
Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM

I'm looking at getting an Artec T3AP but didn't know if it was worth getting the Pro model with the buttoms on the case? The box will be used with a small black & white TV, both at home in the kitchen and on the road in our travel trailer. In the trailer I will need the remote anyway, since we will need to re-scan the channels at each stop. At home, the box will likely be on just one station.

Do these units remember the last station when they are turned off? If pressing the power buttom (to turn the unit on) brings back the same station, I probably won't need the remote at home. Also, is there a way to select mono sound on the RCA output for use with a TV set that only has one audio input?

Thanks, Red.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reduno View Post

I'm looking at getting an Artec T3AP but didn't know if it was worth getting the Pro model with the buttoms on the case? .......Do these units remember the last station when they are turned off? ...... Also, is there a way to select mono sound on the RCA output for use with a TV set that only has one audio input? Thanks, Red.

the POWER/VOLUME/CHANNELS buttons are nice to have....and very few if any other cecb's have buttons for all 3 functions....

yes, the Artec T3AP will remember last channel at power up....it also remembers all your channel memories and picture, etc etc settings.....including after a power failure or disconnect from AC power....one exception tho > i'm pretty sure it loses all epg data when turned off....

no, there is no mono audio option.....but it doesnt really matter....u wont notice any problems in most cases on most programs....if it is an issue for u just use the rf ch 3 or 4 coax output....i bet that is a mono left/right mix....

*** its high time to go back to OTA antennas and CANCEL our cable/satellite pay tv services! their greed is totally & insanely out of control! ***
Old 04-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufur View Post

The ▼ while in the EPG screen shows all the shows coming up one at a time in the next box for the channel you are on.. The 1/xx at the top of the next box is the position and number of shows in the list for that channel..........
Edit 5/14: I was able to see and scroll through 34 hours of programing, 47 shows on KCSM. On the other hand, I was only able to see 20 of 48 hours on KPIX. .....The ◄ ► and ▼ buttons in the INFO screen only do what the manual says. The ▼ button brings down a box with the program's description if one is available. The ◄ ► buttons just bounce you back and forth between the now/next boxes with the program information box showing or not.

to Tufur or anyone else who has the Artec T3AP boxes >

how were u able to see epg data that many hours ahead? both of my Artec T3AP Pro and non-Pro models only seem to have NOW/NEXT epg info....i tried everything i could think of to 'see' further ahead but nothing worked... how did u do this?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:53 PM

mine memorizes all the channels even when I unplug it on my own. There is some kind of bug in it though, when you adjust your antenna, if you lose any stations, it still picks them up and maps them when you do a scan.

So basically it locks in channels even with no signal
Old 04-12-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm3839 View Post

to Tufur or anyone else who has the Artec T3AP boxes >

how were u able to see epg data that many hours ahead? both of my Artec T3AP Pro and non-Pro models only seem to have NOW/NEXT epg info....i tried everything i could think of to 'see' further ahead but nothing worked... how did u do this?

Hi:

Try this. Goto a strong channel that you receive well. Now, hit the
EPG button which will bring up the EPG guide. You will see NOW/NEXT
panels. Look into the NEXT panel. The first line you will see is a
1/xx where xx is the number of discrete different programs that are
listed in the EPG for that channel. The next line is the name of
the program and the final line is the start time and end time of
the program. Now, hit the CH - button once. Look at the NEXT panel
again. You will notice the first line has changed to 2/xx. The name
of the program should be different and the time will also reflect
the new start and end time. You can use the CH - button to go to
the end of the list which would be the xx'th entry which would show
as xx/xx. After that you will see a "No Program Information" in the
NEXT panel when you come to the end of the list. To go the other
way use the CH + button. So the EPG is just a simple list that you
navigate using the CH +/- buttons.

Also, for the PRO models I guess, the buttons on top allow you to
change channels and volume. They also allow you to access the
menus. If you hold down the left volume button and then hit the
channel button nearest the front of the unit the menu system will
come up. So I guess if you lose your remote you can still use the
buttons on the unit itself to do most things such as scan for new
channels etc. I haven't really played around with it to see what
else the buttons can do.

Even though this isn't one of the big name units out there I think
it's one of the better ones around. The capability to run on 12
volts directly, the better expanded EPG guide rather than just
NOW/NEXT and the capability to use the buttons on top in case you
lose the remote. These little things show that the engineers at
least paid a little more attention to detail than you get with most
of these units.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post

One of the excellent links that you listed, talks about using a box on a lower voltage and it still behaves. But, what about using it on a higher voltage? How much is too much for a 12 volt box:---14 volts---15 volts---when will it fry? Which one of us is willing to keep increasing the voltage until our box goes up in smoke? The two diodes in series provide about a 0.6 volt drop for each, a total of 1.2 volts when the vehicle is running. The voltage in my car is about 12 volts when not running, and about 14.5 volts when recharging the battery after starting.

Hi:

Sorry to get back to you so late. I think the link said the Artec would work down to 7 or 7.5 volts. What you could do the would be to use a dc-dc voltage converter and run it at 7.5 volts. They have a switch to allow you to choose the output voltage usually 3-4.5-6-7.5-9-12. So running it at 7.5 would give you a 4.5 volt safety margin. I guess that could be done. Just a thought.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:

...... So the EPG is just a simple list that you navigate using the CH +/- buttons.
Also, for the PRO models ...... If you hold down the left volume button and then hit the channel button nearest the front of the unit the menu system will come up. ......
Even though this isn't one of the big name units out there I think it's one of the better ones around. The capability to run on 12 volts directly, the better expanded EPG guide rather than just NOW/NEXT and the capability to use the buttons on top in case you lose the remote. These little things show that the engineers at least paid a little more attention to detail than you get with most of these units.

wow....it works!...woohoo!....lol....thanks for all that info, mrpeter105! i appreciate it....

i had probably tried that in my random 'button pushing' attempts but the box's response time is at least 2 or 3 seconds before the new epg data appears.....so my impatience led me to believe nothing was happening....i just didnt wait long enough,,,,does your ARTEC have this same delay?

and i agree....this box does work well, all things considered....

also, i was wondering how to use the top panel buttons to access the set-up menus and your tip works there too....so thanks again!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm3839 View Post

,,,does your ARTEC have this same delay?

Yes. I think all the boxes take a bit to update the EPG.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 PM

Just noticed the Artec T3APR-T which claims to have "TV Guide...Product". Is this supposed to be a guide based on TVGOS data rather than PSIP or another kludge like the DTVPal?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:09 AM

I thought the Dish Network CECB's did work with Digital TVGOS, if your local CBS affiliate is sending the data?

It better work with it for $70
Old 04-17-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

^ it might "work" if data is available but only to convert the data, not display it. I don't believe any CECB displays TVGOS info.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:48 AM

Not just $70 up front, but an unknown subscription fee for TVGOS. At least, that's the way I read the blurb. Presumably that extra $ buys access to the "real" TVGOS digital stream and not the separate digitized analog VBI that the DTVPal apparently depends on.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

There's no fee for TVGOS (any version) - and it's available in most markets. The only issue with the Pal is that it needs extra "stuff" added to the TVGOS signal to be able to convert it back to analog for legacy analog TVGOS devices. Displaying the TVGOS data itself is probably easy - but the price point of the CECBs is probably too low to allow for it.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 AM

I realize now that the idea of a subscription fee came from the ezdigitaltv page. However, when I found the manual (PDF), the section about TV Guide (page 16, the 22nd page) instructs how to use G-Link and substitute ZIP codes to use TVGOS on your analog TV or DVR. So it became evident that this is same kind of solution provided by the DTVPal and not a substitute for a PSIP-based guide. I'd guess then that it has the same dependency on extra "stuff" as the DTVPal. Sounds like this is all old news though.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 PM

One thing NOT noted so far here is I do not think the ARTEC T3AP-PRO (nor prob its siblings) have event/auto tune timers for recording to a VCR or DVR.

For me, not a big deal (and pob most others here), as I plan to use this on the boat (thus the desire for a box w/12VDC input). Prob only use to catch a sports game here and there (and maybe check out RADAR).
I think the buttons on the box are a big plus (Just make sure if you want that, that someone is not trying to sell/pass one of its siblings as this one. i.e. "Just like the TA3 PRO..." but it isn't the T3A-Pro...

Jim
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_sea_ya View Post

One thing NOT noted so far here is I do not think the ARTEC T3AP-PRO (nor prob its siblings) have event/auto tune timers for recording to a VCR or DVR......For me, not a big deal (and pob most others here), as I plan to use this on the boat ......I think the buttons on the box are a big plus (Just make sure if you want that, that someone is not trying to sell/pass one of its siblings as this one. i.e. "Just like the TA3 PRO..." but it isn't the T3A-Pro... Jim

youre right...there is no timer feature on any of the ARTEC T3AP boxes...and the epg is 'NOW/NEXT PROGRAM' only...u can look ahead several hours but that process is slow and awkward to use (in my opinion) and only gives program titles with no descriptions....if you can overlook this shortcoming the ARTEC T3AP is an excellent dtv converter box overall....

and yes, having on-the-box channel/volume/power buttons is a nice feature...but thats only on the ARTEC T3AP Pro model....the non-Pro model has only a single round POWER button on top...other than that the two versions are identical....

Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 AM

Found this neat FAQ on the ARTEC website:

http://www.artectv.com/Service_e/nl/...tm#ATSC_STB_17

"Does T3A Pro compatible with RV (Recreation vehicle) potable TV?

Yes, our converter box will work with your 12 volt TV, you may use the cigarette lighter in a car as the power supply; then use a right cable(as shown in the picture) to connect the converter box and the cigarette lighter."

(They show a pic of a cable similar to the radio shack cable which when I tried to post is, shows up huge for some reason.)
Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 PM

Artec T3AP-LL

Thanks Pm3839 for the information about the free Artec T3AP-LL CECB.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134046

This is a nice CECB and the one I have has a picture equal to the DTT901 Zenith. As stated before the Artec and the Zenith share the same LG processor and very similar LG tuners. Both boxes only pull 3 watts when ON and almost nothing when OFF.
Running the Artec on alternative 12 volts is discussed above but remember it is going to pull around 3 watts whether you run it at 7 volts or 14 volts. Lower the voltage and watch the mA (current) go up and raise the voltage and watch the mA go down.
The warmest part in the Artic and the Zenith appears to be a surface mounted chip on the bottom side of the tuners circuit board. The Artec ran so warm in its little plastic case that I took it out of the case and put it on top of the TV. The Artec tuner can is mounted with the hot section hanging of the edge of the circuit board like the designers knew what they were doing. The hot chip is mounted under the shield where the 5 cooling holes are.

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2966/artec004a.jpg

Both the Artec and the Zenith remote controls are a little small but I think the Artec is easier to use with one hand. The Artec uses the Up, Down, Right, and Left buttons to change channels and volume. The Zenith remote has separate rocker buttons to adjust the volume and change the channels that sometimes requires two hand to operate.

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/576/artec002a.jpg

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/7615/artec2003a.jpg

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8773/artec2001a.jpg
Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 PM

Hows everyone liking this box? I love mine. Very pleased with it so far. I ordered it off solidsignal or freetvsignal i think? (don't remember) and I got free shipping so I payed $0 w/coupon.

Anyone figure out what that little IR data port thing is in the back? In the box menu it says you can upgrade the firmware but it doesn't work.

This box is really really small like the size of a computer modem almost. Looks nice on my stand.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equivocal View Post

Just noticed the Artec T3APR-T which claims to have "TV Guide...Product". Is this supposed to be a guide based on TVGOS data rather than PSIP or another kludge like the DTVPal?

http://www.macrovision.com/dtv/10057.htm

The T3APR-T box is like the DTVPal. The TV Guide on Screen (TVGOS) functionality is to convert the SCTE-127 data being broadcast by selected CBS stations in their digital signal to a format that analog TVGOS enabled devices can use so they can still get the TV Guide program listings. If you don't have a TVGOS enabled device the feature doesn't do anything for you. The EPG the box displays is strictly PSIP based. Would love to hear if someone uses the Artec to deliver the TVGOS and if it works any better or differently than the Pal does.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Any information on the Artec T3AP-LS with a Sanyo tuner?

I just noticed that Free tv Signal place is advertising the free T3AP-LS with Sanyo High Definition Tuner?

https://secure.freetvsignal.com/view...o=dealOfTheDay
Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 PM

The Artec T3AP-LS has been available from TigerDirect/CompUSA for some time at the price of $40.01 (excluding shipping). I thought all Artec CECBs came with a Sanyo tuner? It also seems that the Sanyo tuners are perhaps less sensitive than others out there. (The Zinwell 970A has a Sanyo tuner and folks have indicated its performance is good but not great.)

When I saw the Artec unit at a CompUSA retail out recently I was amazed at how small it was; it looked like a little toy! But it seems to be a pretty decent unit.

_Lazza
Old 05-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Thanks Lazza
Shoot I was hoping the LS model was something new.

Just ordered one so I will see what they send hope it is another LL model.