Rca Dta800b1* - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 105 Old 12-28-2008, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was searching for this product based on reviews on cnet. Lot of people have been searching for this product or at least seemed that way from a lot of requests for this product. Walmart is carrying this product. You will have to purchase it "IN-STORE". Please note that not all stores have them. I had to go to a 2nd store to find it.

Also there was some confusion about model number. The sticker on the counter shows DTA800 but the cover on the RCA retail box clearly indicates the model number for DTA800B1.

The price for the product is about $50 here in Baton Rouge, LA. But, with tax it comes to about $55. If you have a $40 government coupon it's about $15 to shell out of your pocket.

Good Luck and Happy New Year to All !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 PM

I have the DTA800B1 with a Panasonic CT-27G22UV TV. I get the 'instruction' video, but I can't get the box or TV to get any channels.
The manual says to go to the 'No signal' screen and punch in 562. What or where is the 'no signal' screen?
thanks,
Jim
post #93 of 105 Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM

I had/have both the RCA DTA800B and the RCA DTA800B1 and I can confirm that the tuner is a little more sensitive w/ the newer DTA800B1 version given the EXACT same setup. I also have the Zenith DTT901 and I think the tuner of the DTA800B1 may not be quite as sensitive, but I can not be sure. I'm not worried enough about it to check it. For certain, the tuner w/ the Zenith is top notch even if some of the other parts of its design are not the most thought out (on box volume, for example).
post #94 of 105 Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM

I have a dta800b1 but am wondering if I should get a dta809. On widescreen mode on some stations I get black bars on the sides and top and bottom of the tv not just top and bottom!, switching to another station is quite slow, the color is a bit off and I can't delete useless stations. Did they improve these flaws with the dta809?? I'm going to get a smart antenna because I have lots of weak stations from differnt directions.
post #95 of 105 Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealerloot1 View Post

The price for the product is about $50 here in Baton Rouge, LA. But, with tax it comes to about $55. If you have a $40 government coupon it's about $15 to shell out of your pocket.

I'm assuming the sales tax rate is closer to 10% and not 50%. So why do you have to pay sales tax on the $40 the government is paying?
post #96 of 105 Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikp View Post

I have a dta800b1 but am wondering if I should get a dta809. On widescreen mode on some stations I get black bars on the sides and top and bottom of the tv not just top and bottom!, switching to another station is quite slow, the color is a bit off and I can't delete useless stations. Did they improve these flaws with the dta809?? I'm going to get a smart antenna because I have lots of weak stations from differnt directions.

The DTA800B1 only has two aspect ratio settings, letterbox and zoom, even though the government requirements indicate it should have a third full or partially zoomed ratio. Switching speed depends on what you are comparing it to. I think no two boxes are indentical in color. In the Channel List you can set it to skip a channel. I don't have a DTA809. All these boxes have their pluses and minuses. Do you presently have an exterior antenna ?
post #97 of 105 Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Does the partial zoom only letterbox 16:9 and not letterbox + pinstripe 4:3? Thsts really annoying Does it also take going through 5 menu to change? The channel switching is slow compared to analog. I have an internal antenna and can't change that. You're right about the channel skipping method.
post #98 of 105 Old 04-11-2009, 02:59 PM

Location: Eagan, MN, southern suburb of St. Paul, 16mi from TV Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikp View Post

Hit the menu button, get the channel line up (screen that shows station, what's showing, what's coming up) just to the right of the channel numbers it says 'Stored'. Using the center 4 way rocker on the remote scroll down to the station you want to delete, move to left to high-light 'Stored', hit the center button, and that item changes to 'Skip'.

I personally like the DTA 809 better with the analog pass through.
post #99 of 105 Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sief View Post

... I personally like the DTA 809 better with the analog pass through.

The DTA800B1 also has analog pass through.
post #100 of 105 Old 04-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV Reviewer View Post

I see on the approved government list the RCA DTA800B1L and DTA809 listed. Does anyone have any initial information on these units - differences from the current DTA800B1 model?

Our local Walmart stores (North Texas area) just received fresh shipment of RCA DTA800B1L which has been out-of-stock of 3 months. The S/N label is different from before and it included the manufacture date (February 2009) on the bottom of the converter box. They also put a "DTA800B1/DTA800B1L" sticker on the manual to cover up whatever the model number was on there. Don't know what has been changed on DTA800B1L from DTA800B1.

The box is manufactured by AVC Multimedia at Markham, Ontario L3R 1E3. The price is $49.87.
post #101 of 105 Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 AM

Liked: 13
I picked up a DTA800B1 at Wal-Mart for $49.87. It was Mfg. in Jan. 2013. It has the code BE3.

AVC Multimedia, Markham, Ontario -- Made in China

The bar code on the box is 0-62118-48003-7

My LCD flatscreen TV has only one 75ohm input and only one RCA input (this is, Yellow-Red-White), which are both already being used.

I wanted to use the VCR to watch OTA channels, so I needed a DTV Converter box.

So far no complaints, except that I would prefer the display that comes up each time you change the channel, to be see-thru, or, for the display to go away much quicker, on it's own.

Picture and sound is good.

I didn't want to spend big bucks on a DVR/VCR with tuner.....

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #102 of 105 Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post

So far no complaints, except that I would prefer the display that comes up each time you change the channel, to be see-thru, or, for the display to go away much quicker, on it's own.

Surf through the menus as some boxes have settings for those features.

post #103 of 105 Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
I picked up a DTA800B1 at Wal-Mart for $49.87.

Doesn't that box have a guide of some sort?

If so, how is it?

Can you add single channels manually, or does the box need to be re-scanned?

post #104 of 105 Old 04-06-2013, 03:25 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Doesn't that box have a guide of some sort?

If so, how is it?

Can you add single channels manually, or does the box need to be re-scanned?

The RCA box shows what's on now, but I can't find a guide on the box for programs coming up later.

The B1 model does indeed allow you to a channel "add" scan vs. a complete re-scan.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #105 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm moving to a different home and may need one or two converter boxes for older SD televisions. This RCA box is readily available at Wal-Mart for $49.97. I realize a couple of other boxes are available through Amazon, like the Zinwell as well as some used Zeniths, but my big question here: what is the reliability of these boxes? Is the RCA DTA-800B1 any more or less reliable than the other CECBs, most of which have been out of production for some time?

One thing which I learned from looking at recent posts is that the most recent version, the DTA-800B1, does in fact allow a channel "add" scan in addition to the standard auto-scan. This makes the unit more attractive than it was previously.

Another thing I've read is that unlike a few other CECBs, the DTA-800B1 only offers the 4x3 aspect ratio, not 16x9. (Of course, it's also SD output).

If anyone here can answer these questions - particularly regarding whether the unit will still be working and functional one year from now - please chime in here or PM me. It's nice to see our old posts on this forum - and to be honest, it's unfortunate that LG terminated production of the Zenith DTT-900/901 CECBs.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page