Success! - Control an RCA DTA800B CECB DTV Converter box with ReplayTV 3000 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 66 Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwin View Post

Here are the steps I did:

The DTA box: RCA DTA-800B

Connect RCA DTA-800B composite video and audio output to ReplayTV input 1

On ReplayTV in "Menu" \\ "Setup" \\ "Network and Input Settings" \\
"Change IN 1":
choose "Satellite box"
choose "DISH Los Angeles" (or your metro area or DirecTV local seems to work - national will not give local stations)
Satellite Box brand": Other
On "available Code Sets" press the "Replay Zones" button.
change "Enable Fine Tuning" to "Yes"
Codeset: "0566" use the number keys on the remote to type the 4 numbers
Send Enter: yes
Minimum digits to send: 1
All the delays should be: 200ms

Change ANT/CATV should be changed to "Nothing Connected" (to prevent this new connection from have channels with 1000 added to them)

Then "keep all changes"
It will then download data for a few minutes.

On ReplayTV in "Menu" \\ "Setup" \\ "Add or Remove Channels"
make sure to delete the 100s of non-terrestrial channels so that only your local channels are displayed (and recorded)

Install the REPLAYTV IR Blaster cable and stick the transmitter right
over the DTA-800B IR Receiver. (Just to the left of the IR letters on the front panel

This is an AWESOME post!!!

I just have one very weird problem - ReplayTV (4040) is able to change to all channels except channel 30 - anybody has an idea?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 Old 06-01-2008, 09:37 AM

Is the RCA DTA-800B able to tune to channel 30 with its original remote control? I have noticed that the RCA DTA-800B will not tune to a channel if it was not found in the original scan of channels.
post #33 of 66 Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwin View Post

Is the RCA DTA-800B able to tune to channel 30 with its original remote control? I have noticed that the RCA DTA-800B will not tune to a channel if it was not found in the original scan of channels.

yes - channel 30 works with the original remote with no problem.
post #34 of 66 Old 06-06-2008, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Bump: I updated the original post to include codes for both the RCA DTA800B and the DigitalStream DTX-9950, the second box I've been able to successfully interface to my ReplayTV 3000.
post #35 of 66 Old 06-13-2008, 09:54 AM

The Radio Shack DTX9950 works great with the Replay 5040 using code 0899. No fussing with the fine tuning was required. I had problems with the earlier DTX9900 as discussed below.

The DTX9900 is a nice converter and the ReplayTV 5040 would activate it using code 0899. It would not control channel selection however. Regardless of hardware and positional changes double IR commands resulted in duplicated digits for channel selection. EG, the Replay would command channel 5 but the DTX would respond with 55. You could see the DTX was receiving multiple commands as its power light would flash repeatedly. No other codes made it work and I even checked the lettered ones. I tried codes 749, 819 as suggested for the 9950 above with no luck. My 5040 codes stop at 7999 so I could not try 8749 or 9749 or later key them in directly per Kiwin's instructions above. I took it back.
POSTSCRIPT: AT THAT TIME I WAS UNAWARE OF "FINE TUNING" NOTED BY KIWIN ABOVE. THE IR BLASTER TRANSMISSION MAY BE FINE TUNED BY PRESSING "REPLAY ZONES" IN SETUP. YOU CAN THEN KEY THE CODE NUMBER IN DIRECTLY. THERE ARE OTHER VARIABLES SUCH AS DELAYS, MINIMUM # DIGITS, AND "SEND ENTER" THAT CAN BE ADJUSTED. I WONDER IF TWEAKING THESE WOULD HAVE HELPED BEFORE I RETURNED THE UNIT.
If you buy one, try increasing the minimum number of digits transmitted to 3, verify "enter" is sent after the code, and increase intertransmission delay substantially.
I'd like to hear that this unit worked as I was impressed by it.
post #36 of 66 Old 06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
The box you want is the Channel Master CM-7000. That should work with anything with an IR blaster and even be able to change to subchannels. It uses a very common, old Pioneer cable box code.
post #37 of 66 Old 06-13-2008, 01:50 PM

Can you point to a confirmation of this, Rammitinski?

Somebody suggested the ReplayTV could tune subchannels on the CM-7000 here in the CM-7000 thread, but I believe they were misinterpreting what was posted here.

So far I haven't found any direct report that the CM-7000 will respond to "three digits without a period" the way the RCA DTA800B does as reported in this thread.
post #38 of 66 Old 06-13-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Somebody just reported it yesterday or the day before. I didn't see it anywhere today as I was reading the new posts - I'll have to search for it.

They said you had to punch three numbers into the remote to change to a subchannel, because apparently there's no dash button on the remote. So any recorder that lets you set three-digit codes *should* work, I would think.
post #39 of 66 Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Okay, I think I found the answer. The "post 38" from the CM thread wasn't 100% conclusive but I believe the later poster interpreted it correctly in light of what's written in post 345 of the same thread.
Quote:

Must enter 022 to get channel 2.2 their is no . key on the remote.

This is given as a negative in the post but from our perspective it may turn out to be a major positive.
post #40 of 66 Old 06-13-2008, 08:40 PM

I posted on another thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008500 and have Channel Masters and RCAs hooked up to 5040s and working. I think the RCA is inferior and would like to replace it with the Digital Stream 9900. That is why I would still like to encourage someone to buy a DTX9900 and tweak the fine tuning. The Channel Master WILL NOT be tuned to subchannels by the ReplayTV 5040 no matter what I enter or what changes I make to the fine tuning. I will be happy to conduct any experiments on the CM-7000/5040 combination that you suggest. The Channel Master does have the S output, is very sensitive, and does work with the 5040; however it is slow and has a crude menu compared to the Insignia/Zenith which feels like a new computer by comparison.
John
post #41 of 66 Old 06-14-2008, 11:26 AM

adfree, over in that thread it sounds like you were punching 022 into the replaytv remote. This was interpreted by the replaytv as a request to tune channel 22, so it probably sent "22" over the IRblaster. If I'm right, I think you should try playing around with the minimum digits setting so that the replaytv will send 022 or 0022.

On the screen where you select a device for the IRblaster, select "other".
Then scroll to 0144 (I assume this is the code you used for the CM-7000) and press the replay zones button on your remote. This brings up the fine tuning screen. Set "enable fine tuning to "yes", then set "minimum digits to send" to 3 or 4. That should be all you need to do to test, but you might improve channel switching speed by setting "send enter" to "yes".

Hope this helps, and let us know how it works!

EDIT: Oh, wait, now I see in your post you have
Quote:

I also tried changing the FINE TUNING to require a minimum of 3 digits to be sent without result.

I missed that. Doesn't bode well.
post #42 of 66 Old 06-14-2008, 12:04 PM

So, to sum up the current state of things, if I understand correctly:

RCA DTA-800B: works, allows subchannels over IRBlaster
DTX-9900 and 9950: work with 2000/3000, but not 5040, and no subchannels over IRBlaster
CM-7000: works, but no subchannels over IRBlaster
Zenith DTT 900: will only work with later replayTV models (not 2000/3000 series) and requires some hacking to have any chance at subchannels
DTVPal: coming out soon, may work with Echostar codes, no telling if subchannels will be accessible without hacking

I'm still tempted to get the CM-7000 because it hasn't been tested with a 2000-series, and I can't understand why it'd respond "correctly" to three-digit entry from the remote but not from the IRblaster.
post #43 of 66 Old 06-14-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfree View Post

The Channel Master does have the S output, is very sensitive, and does work with the 5040; however it is slow and has a crude menu compared to the Insignia/Zenith which feels like a new computer by comparison.
John

I agree the menu is not as professional as the Zenith but if you compare it to the Digital Stream it sure looks good. I just wish they had used a larger font. The S-video out can't be beat though. I haven't noticed the CM to be slow. If you want slow try a DVDR with digital tuner. Their slower than molasses in January I'm not knocking the Zenith, it's just for me PQ and the nice guide trumps a cruder menu and any possible slower operation. JMO

Ewilen-It must be something with the Replay TV that omits sending the leading 0 in your example of 022, because typing 022 on the CM remote defenatly takes you to 2.2 after a brief delay. 22 will take you to 22.1 though. Sounds like the replay is ignoring the leading 0 in that case.

Actually thinking about this I would think you'd be ok if all your subchannels were above channel 9 because I would think the replay would allow you to type 103, which would take you to channel 10.3. Probably just doesn't like the leading 0.
post #44 of 66 Old 06-15-2008, 12:40 PM

Jeff, cliffcor's posts here and here do suggest that a three-digit code can be sent from a ReplayTV--albeit with wirns--and it will work as you say.

Also based on the experience some have had with the DTA800B it does seem the 2000/3000 will send 3-digit codes with leading zeroes.

So overall I don't think we can say yet if the CM-7000 will work as well as the DTA800B with a Replay 2000/3000.

Addendum re: DTVPal, this post isn't very promising for 2000/3000 owners but it might be useful for those with other models who can use wirns.
post #45 of 66 Old 06-15-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Since a 2000/3000 can't be operated easily through WiRNS so as to support subchannels, from the information you provided above, it sounds like in order to run the Channel Master from a 2000/3000, then you'd need two digit IR blasting such that channel 22 tunes to 22.1 on the CM instead of channel 2.2. Although, maybe setting the send enter appropriately will guarantee that you tune to 22.1 for channel 22...

Henry
post #46 of 66 Old 06-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Apparently the key is the leading zeroes. As I understand it, the CM treats "22" as 22-1 (this is how my digital stream works), but it treats 022 (or maybe 0022, I'd have to look again in the other thread) as 2.2. Sending enter doesn't seem to matter.
post #47 of 66 Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilen View Post

DTVPal: coming out soon, may work with Echostar codes....

It's been confirmed that it will use a Scientific Atlantic cable box code.
post #48 of 66 Old 06-18-2008, 11:11 AM

Well, I just ordered a CM-7000 from Stark Electronic, but it could take a few days to deliver since they were backordered. If anyone is reading this and doesn't have to make a decision too soon, then you might want to wait for me to report back on Panasonic Showstopper PV-HS2000 compatibility.
post #49 of 66 Old 06-21-2008, 02:38 PM

I have a Showstopper that I just interfaced with a Digital Stream 9950. I am having problems with this setup. The SS keeps blue-screening (not all the time, but maybe 2 or 3 times during a half-hour show). The signal from the antenna is rather strong, and when I watch the same channels with the CECB connected into the TV, instead of having the CECB connected to the SS, I do not detect any interruptions or picture issues.

Any suggestions?
post #50 of 66 Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 PM

You may have already thought of this, but based on what you say I'd suspect a problem in the cable/plugs that connect the showstopper and the 9950. Or in the internals of the showstopper itself. Can you connect the 9950 to a different interface of the showstopper?

EDIT: Actually it might be helpful to set forth how the 9950 is cabled to the TV and showstopper respectively.
post #51 of 66 Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpesq View Post

I have a Showstopper that I just interfaced with a Digital Stream 9950. I am having problems with this setup. The SS keeps blue-screening (not all the time, but maybe 2 or 3 times during a half-hour show). The signal from the antenna is rather strong, and when I watch the same channels with the CECB connected into the TV, instead of having the CECB connected to the SS, I do not detect any interruptions or picture issues.

Any suggestions?

I forgot to write this BLUE SCREEN problem with the 9950 in my review of it in that thread.

I have a Replay 3030 (should be obvious ) and I got the same Blue Screen issue with it numerous times, even with 90% signal strength with the DigitalStream. The RCA box never did this.

When I connected the DS to my Plasma directly, I saw an occassional completely black or frozen frame, in the area of 1/30th of a second.

I dont know if this was heat related (since I measured 119 degrees at the F connector on the tuner of the DS) or just a bad design problem on the DS.

I don't think it's the Replay causing the issue--just showing it, since the panel directly showed an apparent loss of sync.

Luckily I was just reviewing the DS 9950 for a friend. Guess I have to live with the occassional reboot on the RCA since it can work with the replay, where the Zenith doesn't seem to be able to even though I'd rather have that box.
post #52 of 66 Old 06-25-2008, 08:15 AM

I think Replay3030 has it right. My Showstopper has been flawless until hooking up this CECB. I even forgot there was a blue-screen, as I had not seen one for years.

It also frequently does not change the channel on the 9950 correctly with the IR blaster, especially when starting a recording.

IMO, the Showstopper is really not equipped to handle the 1000+ channels that are downloaded in the channel guide, when only a handful are going to be used. And removing those channels from the Add/Remove only HIDES them, it does not remove them being processed. Just not enough CPU/Memory to handle this task reliably.

I plan to remove all channels (no input), and hookup a dtvpal with manual recordings, unless some better suggestions are found. Manual recordings are certainly not preferred, but hopefully reliable. Right now, this is a joke. Good old analog CATV connected to the SS was a perfect experience, but Comcast will be getting rid of Analog service soon, and they continue (including next month, July) moving good channels up to the digital tiers, so continuing to buy Analog cable serves very little purpose.
post #53 of 66 Old 06-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Well, I got my CM-7000 today, hopefully I can test tonight.

I plan to wait and see on the effect of the digital transition on Showstopper. I don't even think we can say for sure, at present, what form of program info will be provided after February. It sure would be nice if they offer an OTA DTV listing so we don't have to use the satellite lineup.

Also, it's not clear what Comcast will do--they may not get rid of analog everywhere right away, and if they do, there will almost certainly be some sort of cheap QAM boxes for analog TV owners with basic cable. (Though at what cost for the box/service I can't say--I've seen discussion of this, but nothing certain.) So I see a possibility that the Showstopper will work with those boxes via IR blaster.
post #54 of 66 Old 06-26-2008, 12:30 AM

Interesting results here. I connected the CM-7000 with IR blaster code on my Showstopper 2000 to 0144 and customized it to use minimum 3 digits with DirectTV San Francisco as my "provider" on Line 1. (Customization is achieved by pressing the Zones button while the given code is highlighted.)

As noted elsewhere, this pushed all the ANT/CATV channels into the 10xx range without affecting the ability of the Showstopper to tune them normally. I.e., those are "virtual" channel numbers.

The Showstopper definitely can control the CM-7000 now, though the interaction between the units is short of ideal. Basically, if I tune to channel 5 on the Showstopper, it sends an IR code for 005 to the CM-7000, which is interpreted as 00-5 (useless). If I really want channel 5-1 OTA then I need to tune the Showstopper to 51, which causes it to send 051.

So as things stand, recording via the Program Guide will not work with the CM-7000. Manual recordings will be fine.

I would have thought that setting the IR blaster to send Enter after the channel number would speed channel switching, but it doesn't seem to help. I may play around with this some more.

Another issue is that the Showstopper's channel list "reinterprets" some channel selections. For example if I enter 111 because I want 11-1, the Showstopper sends 101 over the IR blaster because 111 and 101 are "associated" channels. This is hard to describe...basically they have the same programming but one is the HD version...or something like that. (You may have seen something similar with the appearance of LOOR (local origination) channels in the Program Guide, that duplicate existing channels.) Since the Program Guide really isn't doing anything for me anyway, I should probably try a different "dummy" service provider. Maybe there's another solution.

Another problem I anticipate with having the inclusion of a bunch of channels that I don't really get is that the Showstopper will attempt to record shows that appear on those channels if I use Theme-based recordings. Basically I need to delete all the "satellite" channels to prevent this.

It's interesting to compare interoperation with the DTX-9950. While we haven't found a way to get the Showstopper/ReplayTV IR blaster to tune subchannels with the Digital Stream, it will tune primary channels properly according to the Program Guide. So depending on how I want to use the Showstopper, there's a tradeoff.

OTOH an earlier post on this thread here about the DTA800B has me thinking that I might be able to have it both ways by changing the minimum digits setting.
post #55 of 66 Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 AM

About the DTVPal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

It's been confirmed that it will use a Scientific Atlantic cable box code.

Thanks.

BTW, my earlier post about how it handles subchannels was apparently misinformed. This post says that if you want channel 4-2 on the DTVPal, you must enter 0042. Based on this, tuning subchannels via IR blaster should be possible (as Rammitinski says in the same thread).

Not clear at this point what happens if you enter fewer than four digits and then just wait (or hit an enter key, if available). The behavior here may affect compatibility with the Replay/Showstopper program guide.
post #56 of 66 Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM

I'm playing with the "minimum digits to send" option under fine tuning for codeset 0144 now.

I am not sure about setting this value to 0. It seems to produce inconsistent results; I suspect that it actually maintains the behavior of the previous value.

When the value is set to 1 or 2 and I tune to a channel below 100, the IR blaster sends two digits and the CM interprets this as the primary channel. E.g. I tune the DVR to channel 44, it sends 44 to the CM, and the CM interprets this as a 44-1. There's a fair delay involved but I'm not going to worry about that for now. If I tune the DVR to channel 5, it sends 05 to the CM, and the CM interprets this as 5-1.

However if I tune the DVR to a three-digit channel, the IR blaster sends three digits to the CM, which interprets it as a subchannel. E.g., I tune the DVR to 321, it sends 321 to the CM, and the CM interprets this as 32-1. Note that if I punch e.g. 022 on the DVR remote, the DVR tunes to channel 22 and then sends 22 to the CM, which interprets this as 22-1. In other words, I can't tune to subchannels of of channels 1 through 9.

In short when the minimum digits is set to 1 or 2 under codeset 0144, the program guide will work properly, but you can't make the DVR send codes for subchannels of channels 1 through 9. If the minimum digits is set to 3, the program guide is useless for OTA DTV, but you can get the DVR to send codes for all subchannels. (Subject to the "reinterpretation" issue I mentioned a couple posts up.)

I also tried using manual record with minimum digits set to 2, on the theory that this might work differently from normal tuning, but I still couldn't get it to record subchannels. E.g., entering 0022 for the channel just made the DVR tune to 22 and send 22 to the CM, which was interpreted as 22-1. However it looks like there are ways to do a manual record without tuning at all, so if you set the CM to channel you want before, this would work if you're desperate.
post #57 of 66 Old 07-05-2008, 01:49 PM

So would you now correct your list to:

RCA DTA-800B: works, allows subchannels over IRBlaster (negative is periodic audio loss, needing reboot)
DTX-9900 and 9950: work with 2000/3000, but not 5040, and no subchannels over IRBlaster
CM-7000: works, outputs in S-Video, allows subchannels over IRBlaster (with fine-tuning)
Zenith DTT 900: will only work with later replayTV models and requires some DVArchive AND WiRNS hacking to enable ".1" subchannels (negative is not usable with other subchannels? and not with 2000/3000 series)
DTVPal: (I don't know if there are updates to this one) coming out soon, may work with Echostar codes, no telling if subchannels will be accessible without hacking

In all cases, Program Guides do not work with subchannels without WiRNS. (Correct?)
post #58 of 66 Old 07-05-2008, 10:01 PM

Pretty much--the CM-7000 story is a little more complicated but it's certainly more compatible than the DTX-9900/9950.

Also note that the DTVPal will use a Scientific Atlanta cable box code according to Rammitinski. And I only have direct experience with the DTX-9950 and the CM-7000, the rest is from others' reports.
post #59 of 66 Old 08-17-2008, 07:08 PM

DTX-9900 and 9950: work with ReplayTV 2000

Can somebody who actually tried this verify it. I have the ReplayTV 2000, and searched all over the internet for a Digital converter box that will be compatible with my ReplayTV, but nobody can verify it.

thanks,
stan
post #60 of 66 Old 08-17-2008, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlam View Post

DTX-9900 and 9950: work with ReplayTV 2000

Can somebody who actually tried this verify it. I have the ReplayTV 2000, and searched all over the internet for a Digital converter box that will be compatible with my ReplayTV, but nobody can verify it.

thanks,
stan

Converter boxes that are compatible with Replaytv/Panasonic Showstopper
(for tuning standard/non-sub-channels):

Digital Stream DTX-9950 (9900 is discontinued and inferior) - Best code: #7470 -or- alternate codes: #0749 or #0899. Code availability may vary from one series Replaytv to another (if one isn't compatible, the other will be).
Apex DT-502 (and possibly DT-250, which is older version) - Best code: #7470 -or- alternate code: #0749. Code availability may vary from one series Replaytv to another (if one isn't compatible, the other will be).
Channel Master CM-7000 - Only one code: #0144 (works with all Replaytv/Showstopper units).

It's been stated here (numerous times) that the RCA box is compatible as well but I haven't personally confirmed this (although this information seems credible).

Note: Using the DS DTX-9950 box -or- Apex DT-502 (with code #7470) will result is a perfect transition from channel to channel (no glitches whatsoever, albeit a bit slow). However, using code #0899 or #0749 will result in a longer delay when changing channels, the previous channel will remain on screen (and recordings) for several seconds and the screen will go blank for a second or two.

Using the CM box (with code #0144) will also result in a longer delay when changing channels, the previous channel will remain on screen (and recordings) for several seconds and the screen will go blank for a second or two.
.....However, even with these (somewhat minor) inconveniences, the CM is the superior box overall (picture quality and sensitivity are the primary concerns and the CM is the best choice......so far......IMHO......although others have come to this same conclusion)!
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page