Reapplication for Expired cecb coupons - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks as if NTIA is going to allow reapplication for expired coupons after all.
I guess details to follow.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=SUPP&nid=2228
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 06:58 AM

Well, now I wonder what to do. My 2nd coupon goes belly-up at the end of this month, the gamble to decide on is 1. sit, wait, let the coupon expire and hope that this goes through with the possibility of it NOT going through and losing the coupon, or 2. use the coupon and lose the opportunity to get a better box than what's out there now.
post #3 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 AM

This is good news for those like me who would like to pick up a TR-40/DTVPal but their coupon(s) expire before the street date. But one would have to wonder if you re-apply will your current coupon just be reactivated or will you have to wait for an new coupon to come in the mail.
post #4 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

hmmm well one could have a relative who has cable or sat. apply for two coupons and give you one? If there is a will there is a way.

John
post #5 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Why reapply after NTIA Answer 327 gives another 60 days?
We just need to inform the online shops of this?
What if a consumer presents a coupon which is about to expire, and I do not have a CECB in stock and cannot predictably and assuredly deliver a CECB in the future?

If you do reapply most likely you will have a new card reissued because of the expiration date on the card.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Why reapply after NTIA Answer 327 gives another 60 days?
We just need to inform the online shops of this?
What if a consumer presents a coupon which is about to expire, and I do not have a CECB in stock and cannot predictably and assuredly deliver a CECB in the future?

If you do reapply most likely you will have a new card reissued because of the expiration date on the card.

Oh, so the sixty day thing is like an intermdiate step in the redemption process.. Ok makes sense.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
NTIA now has the authority to extend or reissue, but that comment about the"notice and comment period" means don't hold your breath. Proposed changes to the household rule on nursing homes allow 6+ weeks to collect comments.

As of 5/6, over a million coupons were redeemed, and the NTIA was still urging people to use them within the 90 days. I'm guessing coupons start expiring next week?
post #8 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

I asked John at FreeDTVShop.com why he was not allowing pre-orders according to NTIA 372 and he told me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post

SDR is not available for online sites. It uses a physical card swipe, and then a report to rectify the UPCs with the authorizations. All other redemption methods redeem the coupon right away, instead of just retrieving an authorization. This is how other online retailers got into trouble with redeeming cards early for backorders due to their use of the web service. We manually use the web site redemption method, which allows us to at least take your order ahead of time and then redeem your coupon upon shipping. It's the best solution available for now, but it does pose a problem as coupon expiration dates come to pass.

I did not know about this SDR method as I am just a consumer and thought all methods had the same rules.

Why you would physically want to go to a store and get a CECB within 60 days is beyond me and sounds stupid.
I don't see major stores like Wal-Mart and Radio Shack doing this.

I don't know what method Provantage is using but it must not be the SDR method.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

they wanted to redistribute coupons that would not be used, and create a more linear sale. What mfg would keep on building inventory when the first batch didn't sell?
post #10 of 31 Old 05-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Keep in mind that "but there would have to be a notice and comment period" is probably somewhere in the minimum 90 day realm (I can't find it for sure since the main NTIA site appears to be down right now). That means those with expiration dates coming up soon would be taking a fairly large gamble that this goes through.
post #11 of 31 Old 06-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Any updates on issue?

Note: Newer thread also on this topic

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Save Free HDTV: Facebook Page

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #12 of 31 Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Bump. My coupon expired in Sep. Has anyone successfully reapplied? Should I bother trying?
-Chris
post #13 of 31 Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 AM

"I'm guessing coupons start expiring next week?" Next week??? My coupons expired all the way back in May!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker74 View Post

1. sit, wait, let the coupon expire and hope that this goes through with the possibility of it NOT going through and losing the coupon, or 2. use the coupon and lose the opportunity to get a better box than what's out there now.

3. Buy a known-good box now (Zenith, CM7000, or Zinwell). Store it away. If a newer better tuner arrives on the market, list the old box on amazon or ebay as "Brand new" and cash out.

Then use the cash to buy the better box. That's the plan I've been following these last several months. So far I've liquidated 3 Hisense boxes in order to buy 3 CM7000 boxes.
post #14 of 31 Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"Reapplication!" (LOL) There's always a hard way to do something when dealing with government. Such a process just might get you another coupon in 2015.

Or, you might find a discarded DTVPal or Funai-built converter box for $1.00 at a garage sale on the weekend.

Perhaps someone you know doesn't need a coupon. Perhaps they may apply for a coupon and give it to you. Lately that process takes about three weeks.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #15 of 31 Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

My dad ordered two coupons, and received them in the mail, but did not notice the expiration date and let them expire. So I attempted to "reapply" using his name and address on the internet, but I got a message saying "This household is not eligible for coupons, since it has already applied previously."

However, there is a place you can click if you wish to "appeal" the decision to deny coupons. So I clicked there and typed out in a box that he had received coupons but they were never used because they expired. I supplied my email address, and they are supposed to send notice of their decision, but this was three days ago and I have not heard back.

I don't know if eligibility is based upon the address (AKA "household") or the name supplied, or both. And evidently, they have no way of knowing whether the specific coupon they sent out was ever redeemed or not. Or maybe they CAN find out, if they feel like it, I don't really know.

So I will keep the board posted on what happens, but knowing the govt, I will likely never hear anything back from them at all.
post #16 of 31 Old 10-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir View Post

I don't know if eligibility is based upon the address (AKA "household") or the name supplied, or both. And evidently, they have no way of knowing whether the specific coupon they sent out was ever redeemed or not. Or maybe they CAN find out, if they feel like it, I don't really know.

So I will keep the board posted on what happens, but knowing the govt, I will likely never hear anything back from them at all.

it is address based.

they do know if is redeemed or not. it is instantly recorded as used when swiped at the store on the number entered by an online merchant.
post #17 of 31 Old 03-25-2009, 01:16 PM

On Monday (Mar. 23rd) something told me to visit the dtv2009 website and check on the status of replacement coupons for those that have expired. I was pleasantly surprised to find that applications were being accepted. I applied, was immediately approved, and my replacements have a mailing date of Apr. 10th.
post #18 of 31 Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekwyzrd View Post

On Monday (Mar. 23rd) something told me to visit the dtv2009 website and check on the status of replacement coupons for those that have expired. I was pleasantly surprised to find that applications were being accepted. I applied, was immediately approved, and my replacements have a mailing date of Apr. 10th.

Ditto. I only applied for one coupon at a time. My first one expired before the boxes were in the stores. I used my 2nd one before 2/17/09. Now I've got a replacement for the 1st one being mailed on 4/10.

CA GUY
post #19 of 31 Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post

Bump. My coupon expired in Sep. Has anyone successfully reapplied? Should I bother trying?
-Chris

I recently reapplied two for my gf with success...she mistakenly threw away the two previous coupon cards I applied for her.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 AM

It seems the mailing of replacements is going pretty quickly. I decided to check on the status of my request, entered the reference nunber, and was pleasantly surprised by

Coupon Status Found
Your application has been approved. Based on your application approval date of 03/23/2009, your coupon(s) are/were scheduled to mail on 03/30/2009.

One week from approval to scheduled mailing. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the mailbox by the end of the week.
post #21 of 31 Old 04-02-2009, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^ yeah, they finished with the waitlist and there' are not that many new requests coming in.
post #22 of 31 Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 PM

The coupons were delivered today, only 10 days from request to delivery. Time to do some more reading and find the boxes that best meet my needs.
post #23 of 31 Old 04-02-2009, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Say for example you own (and PAY TAXES ON) two houses, in different states..

Applied for my father and was approved for coupons....

Received (1) set, but the other from his out of state property NEVER arrived. (They were showing as mailed)

Does the Post Office have some kind of "hidden rule" on not forwarding the coupons ?

PS: Envelope coupons come in do not have a "Do not forward message" on them.

Anyone know "the rules" on if the Post Office is forwarding coupons from out of state properties?

post #24 of 31 Old 04-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Standard mail (aka junk mail) is not forwarded.

Philip
post #25 of 31 Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD-PEC View Post

Standard mail (aka junk mail) is not forwarded.

Philip

Looks like the second batch is bound to the dump- (or into someone's pocket at the Post Office)..

How convenient.

How long will the post office forward my mail and what are the costs?

First-Class, Priority, and Express Mail: All forwarded for 12 months at no charge, except for mail marked "Do Not Forward." Periodicals [Second-Class]: Forwarded for 60 days at no charge. Includes newspapers and magazines. Standard Mail (A) [Third-Class]: Not forwarded unless requested by the mailer. Includes circulars, books, catalogs, and advertising mail weighing less than 16 ounces. Standard Mail(B) [Fourth-Class Parcel Post]: Forwarded locally for 12 months at no charge. Forwarding charges paid by you if you move outside the local area. Includes packages weighing 16 ounces or more not mailed as Priority Mail.

Will someone who has received a set of coupons lately -CHECK the envelope and see if it is was mailed via FIRST-CLASS?

EDIT: Strike the part about Fourth-Class Parcel Post... Looks like the only thing forwarded would be First-Class, Priority, and Express Mail.

post #26 of 31 Old 04-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 View Post

Looks like the second batch is bound to the dump- (or into someone's pocket at the Post Office)..

How convenient.

How long will the post office forward my mail and what are the costs?

First-Class, Priority, and Express Mail: All forwarded for 12 months at no charge, except for mail marked "Do Not Forward." Periodicals [Second-Class]: Forwarded for 60 days at no charge. Includes newspapers and magazines. Standard Mail (A) [Third-Class]: Not forwarded unless requested by the mailer. Includes circulars, books, catalogs, and advertising mail weighing less than 16 ounces. Standard Mail(B) [Fourth-Class Parcel Post]: Forwarded locally for 12 months at no charge. Forwarding charges paid by you if you move outside the local area. Includes packages weighing 16 ounces or more not mailed as Priority Mail.

Will someone who has received a set of coupons lately -CHECK the envelope and see if it is Standard (B) [Fourth-Class parcel Post] ?

Standard Mail(B) [Fourth-Class Parcel Post]: Forwarded locally for 12 months at no charge. Forwarding charges paid by you if you move outside the local area.

I got my second coupon last week, and it came First Class and there is no "Do Not Forward" on the envelope. My first one (sometime last fall) came Standard Mail. I don't recall if that one was DNF or not.

I think anything issued since the funds injection is sent First Class.
post #27 of 31 Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimitz View Post

I got my second coupon last week, and it came First Class and there is no "Do Not Forward" on the envelope. My first one (sometime last fall) came Standard Mail. I don't recall if that one was DNF or not.

I think anything issued since the funds injection is sent First Class.

Thanks!... The coupon you received last week coming First Class gives me hope.

Anyone else receive a recently re-applied for OR recent set of coupons sent via First Class?

post #28 of 31 Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM

An elderly lady gave me her coupon yesterday. It was mailed first class. It expires on 6/19/2009. She could not remember when she applied. EDIT: The envelope does NOT say, "Do not forward"

Bob 61231
post #29 of 31 Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The NTIA "Coupon Program Update" section says they are being mailed first class. That is one of the Recovery Act changes.
post #30 of 31 Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob View Post

An elderly lady gave me her coupon yesterday. It was mailed first class. It expires on 6/19/2009. She could not remember when she applied. EDIT: The envelope does NOT say, "Do not forward"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

The NTIA "Coupon Program Update" section says they are being mailed first class. That is one of the Recovery Act changes.

Thanks for the confirmation!... Sounds like unless someone pockets the coupons they will be delivered.

* Why did they change the method of delivery? I bet someone high-up who owns several properties (paying taxes on each) didn't get their coupons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page