Microprose MPI-500 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 202 Old 06-14-2008, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
24 days until my coupons expire.... anyone know where I can buy a Zenith DTT901 ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 202 Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygeear View Post

24 days until my coupons expire.... anyone know where I can buy a Zenith DTT901 ????

See Zenith DTT901 topic http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1032622
Zenith DTT901 at Circuit City
post #123 of 202 Old 06-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Has *anyone*, other than one person (Who might or might not be legit), *ever* received a box from Microprose of any kind, bypass or no bypass?

If so, please share the details of how and when the transaction happened.

I don't believe I'm being too harsh on a company in the apparent business of fraudulent advertising.
post #124 of 202 Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Bill CO according to the MicroProse WebStore there were a few people who did get a box without a coupon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

You are referring to these reviews:
Chris Townsend - This is a great box, works perfectly, does everything they advertised. Very happy, thanks.
Doug Malloy - Its essentially a Zenith box inside, but looks like more up to date components, plus the tv pass through feature.
Pass through is the easiest of any box - just turn the box to standby mode by pressing the standby button or the power button on the remote - thats it, not complicated procedures and confusion like the Philco box.
Sherry - I am very happy with the converter. I like the fancy screens and menus, very fast to find channels
and easy to setup, thank you.

post #125 of 202 Old 06-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Here is an interesting email that was sent to me this morning: (I wonder what short term future means.... days...? weeks...? months...?)
________________________QUOTE______________________________
Subject: Microprose MPI-500
Date: June 18, 2008 7:03:52 AM PDT
To: oilandyou@earthlink.net

-------------------------
Aygeear
Old Dude

[ 24 days until my coupons expire.... anyone know where I can buy a Zenith DTT901 ???? ]

Based on the most recent news I understood about Curt from two weeks ago and without commenting specifically, I believe any "disconnection" of MP to their patrons is due to extenuating circumstances rather than intentional mismanagement and would further encourage MP's patrons to be patient and expectant of a satisfactory resolution in the short term future.

Do not reply. This address is temporary; any incoming mail will not be responded to.
____________________________END QUOTE_________________________
post #126 of 202 Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

I agree Aygeear that email is interesting and looks like it was from another customer a MicroProse employee.
post #127 of 202 Old 06-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

The Website is back up

It also looks like we are still waiting on the NTIA to add the PassThru version to the list. I don't see what is talking so long as the list already has the Zenith that is similar and has added several other boxes since this whole thing started.
post #128 of 202 Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 PM

Malouff,
In your opinion, are there any significant differences between the Microprose MPI-500PT and the Zenith DTT-901 boxes? If so, what are they, and which box would you buy? Thanks!
post #129 of 202 Old 06-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Malouff,
In your opinion, are there any significant differences between the Microprose MPI-500PT and the Zenith DTT-901 boxes? If so, what are they, and which box would you buy? Thanks!

Currently the most significant difference is the Zenith DTT901* is on the NTIA list and the MicroProse MPI-500PT* is not.

If they both on the list then the significant difference for me is
1. MicroProse uses a external power supply that can be used with a cigarette adaptor and you can't do that with the Zenith DTT901

2. MicroProse has more on box controls so you don't need to rely on the remote for everything.

3. The Tuner used may also be different but I am not sure.
Zenith may have switch from the Sanyo to the LG for the DTT901

MicroProse may also still have plans on using the Sanyo

The Sanyo of course had reports of having a little better sensitivity than the LG.

Looks like the NTIA will make the decision for most buyers
post #130 of 202 Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 PM

Thanks, Malouff, for the insights. For me, it looks like either box would fit my needs...
Tuner sensitivity is not an issue because the major channels I watch are all within 18 to 30 miles. None of my TVs use an external power supply, so there is no advantage there.
Guess you're right... NTIA will make the decision for me since I have only 18 days left until my coupons expire.
post #131 of 202 Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 AM

Stopped in a Circuit City store in Springfield, MO on Thursday evening June 19th and found that thay had both the Zenith DTT900 and the DTT901 units in stock. Maybe had Qty 20 DTT901s out on floor display and all had build date of May 2008. So I purchased one but have not had a chance yet to try it out.
post #132 of 202 Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:

T
Tuner sensitivity is not an issue because the major channels I watch are all within 18 to 30 miles.

...Unless you are using an indoor antenna, in which case multipath handling may be an issue for you. If multipath signals cause a CECB to not log stations during a scan, most folks describe that as "poor sensitivity".

If your analog reception with your current antenna is nearly perfect (no ghosts, or snow), then you may do OK with any of the approved CECBs. YMMV.
post #133 of 202 Old 06-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualOTAer View Post

...Unless you are using an indoor antenna, in which case multipath handling may be an issue for you. If multipath signals cause a CECB to not log stations during a scan, most folks describe that as "poor sensitivity".

If your analog reception with your current antenna is nearly perfect (no ghosts, or snow), then you may do OK with any of the approved CECBs. YMMV.

I live on a motoryacht and my antenna is an omni-directional mounted on the flybridge radar arch. About 30 feet of coax cable connect the antenna to an amplifier in the engine room. The output of the amplifier goes to a splitter to supply the salon (20' of coax) and master stateroom (10' of coax).

The channel reception is mixed... some come in crystal clear, some with ghosts, and some with snow. The yacht harbor has multiple metal sheds surrounding the area where I am berthed, adjacent to (but not in) a shed.
post #134 of 202 Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill CO View Post

Has *anyone*, other than one person (Who might or might not be legit), *ever* received a box from Microprose of any kind, bypass or no bypass?

Don't know if it helps, and I haven't paid attention to any Microprose threads before, but I called a local, smaller retailer today and when asked what coupon boxes they carry they said the Microprose. When I asked what model number, he said something like the "2000." I didn't write it down exactly figuring there couldn't be too many Microprose boxes to look up on the internet, but so far I don't see anything about a "2000."

Just tossing that out there.
post #135 of 202 Old 06-29-2008, 12:17 PM

*`````````*

Couldn't wait any longer because my coupons expire in about a week, so I special ordered 2 DTT901s yesterday at Circuit City. Would have liked to try the Microprose, but NTIA wouldn't let me...... Good Luck to those of you still waiting......
post #136 of 202 Old 06-30-2008, 10:44 AM

>>> 6/29/2008 9:18 PM >>>
When can we expect to see approval of the Microprose MPI-500PT pass-through model? It has been over a month since your Consumer Alert About Microprose Converters. Many of us whose coupons are about to expire need to know whether your approval will be forthcoming in the immediate future. Otherwise we will have to make other arrangements.
Quote:

Dear Aygeear,

Each converter reviewed by NTIA requires careful evaluation of the manufacturer test results followed by in-lab testing of a sample of the converter to ensure that it meets the required technical specifications. NTIA cannot predict how long it will take any particular manufacturer to complete the process, or even if a particular converter will ultimately be approved. (We have declined to approve a few converters.)

When the erroneous information came out that the MPI-500 PT was certified, NTIA took the extraordinary step to issue the consumer alert to clarify that the only certified Microprose converter is the MPI-500 without pass through. The manufacturer is still in the process of having its pass through product reviewed.

I suggest that you shop around and consider all of your options. There have been, unfortunately, consumers who waited for a certain product to become available (not necessarily the Microprose MIP500PT) and couldn't use their coupons by the time they expired. Others have given their coupons to retailers who were not able to deliver the product in a timely way.

Thank you for participating in the coupon program.

Anita L. Wallgren
Program Director
TV Converter Box Coupon Program
U.S. Department of Commerce
Washington, D.C. 20230
(202) 482-6266 - Direct Phone
(202) 482-4626 - Fax
awallgren@ntia.doc.gov

post #137 of 202 Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

That email response was STUPID.
They make it sound like the delay is because of the Manufacture (MicroProse).

It was not there decision to delay the product like Dish Network did.

We all know the hold up is either with the FCC or the NTIA.

Thank you for contacting them Aygeear.
I am glad one message got to them.

I have never got any response from my repeated attempts to contact the NTIA.
They must have just added me their the spam filter.
post #138 of 202 Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

The MicroProse MPI-500PT* is on the NTIA-Approved & Not Currently Available list

Sorry for the images but I find this very exciting
This is very good news

Now the NTIA can move to completing more things on their agenda.
1. Multiple unit dwellings and P.O. Box approvals
2. Reimbursing coupons from stores like ConvertMy.TV, Provantage, and Global
3. Allow re-application for expired coupons.
post #139 of 202 Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Congratulations, Malouff. Real news deserve special smilies. It is good news all around, because it means they broke their 3 month processing record, haha.

ETA: their spelling leaves a bit to be desired, though. Will Microprose have to sell it as mircoprose?
post #140 of 202 Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Good eye, I didn't catch the "mircoprose" part and am glad you did.

Now I see more delays just to fix the placement of the "r"
I hope it does not take to long to fix.

Good thing the NTIA is keeping on top of the little things with this program

It would make my day if they would issue another report saying they forgot the "r" and admit they to can make assumptions/mistakes

Thanks again TalkingRat
post #141 of 202 Old 07-05-2008, 02:21 PM

I just received a letter in today's mail from Microprose. Included was a DTV Coupon to replace the one they processed on May 19. They said that it was generously donated by a member of their staff. With this kind of effort to do the right thing, I'm hoping their MPI-500PT will re-appear soon so that I can order one.

Dan
post #142 of 202 Old 07-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Cool you got a donated coupon

I don't see ConvertMy.TV, Provantage, Global, etc., staff donating their coupons.

The NTIA is also not replacing these coupons yet either.

Even Dish Network has never done anything about their DTVPal causing expiring coupons that will not be re-issued by the NTIA.

I told you guys that it looks like MicroProse knows how to do business and treat their customers.

I am also glad to see that you are deciding to get the MicroProse MPI-500PT* with your coupon even though you also wanted a DTVPal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kolton View Post

This on top of this I got an e-mail today from Provantage that they aren't sending my DTV-Pal and have refunded my money to NTSC. Bye-bye to both of my coupons, I guess!

post #143 of 202 Old 07-05-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
MicroProse came up with a thoughtful, creative way to deal with NTIA's sloooooow response to requests for coupon re-issuing. What a customer-friendly thing to do!!
post #144 of 202 Old 07-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Now that the MicroProse MPI-500PT* is on the NTIA Approved List, when and how is it going to be available so that we can purchase it with our soon to expire coupons?

Will it be available through dealers, stores or will it only be available through MicroProse?
post #145 of 202 Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Will it be available through dealers, stores or will it only be available through MicroProse?

It's the latter, check at below site for purchase info...

http://www.microprosesystems.com/dtv.htm
post #146 of 202 Old 07-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Another important thing with the replacement coupon Dan Kolton got is the circumstances of his original order.

A few of the early MicroProse orders like Dan's had their coupons redeemed.

Others got a notice like this
Quote:

"Notice - we have been informed that there is a discrepancy on our pass through version certification to be permitted to take orders for such units.
Your order is currently been assigned the non-pass through certified MPI-500, do you wish to keep this order or cancel?
Your coupon is still valid and not completed processing so you may still use it to purchase a CECB product from another vendor/retailer if you so wish.

Microprose Sales Team"

The important part with the other orders was that your coupons remained valid even though all MicroProse orders were canceled.

Unlike Dan Kolton your coupons were free to get another box (even though you wanted the MicroProse).

What I am getting at is that MicroProse will not be replacing everyone's coupons.

They don't know if you got another box or let them expire hoping for a reissue from the NTIA's stupid "use it or loose it" program.

They only know who's coupons they redeemed and are trying to correct the situation with employee donated coupons like they did for Dan.

I know this may make others mad thinking that they might also be getting a coupon from MicroProse but they didn't make your coupons expire and it was the NTIA who also forced MicroProse to cancel all orders.

I also wanted to tell everyone that the
MicroProse MPI-500PT* is now officially on the NTIA Approved List.
The NTIA fixed their typo of MiroProse
post #147 of 202 Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:

If so, please share the details of how and when the transaction happened.

I don't believe I'm being too harsh on a company in the apparent business of fraudulent advertising.

An interesting question considering both MicroProse models are listed on the approved unavailable list.
post #148 of 202 Old 07-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Currently the most significant difference is the Zenith DTT901* is on the NTIA list and the MicroProse MPI-500PT* is not.

If they both on the list then the significant difference for me is
1. MicroProse uses a external power supply that can be used with a cigarette adaptor and you can't do that with the Zenith DTT901

2. MicroProse has more on box controls so you don't need to rely on the remote for everything.

3. The Tuner used may also be different but I am not sure.
Zenith may have switch from the Sanyo to the LG for the DTT901

MicroProse may also still have plans on using the Sanyo

The Sanyo of course had reports of having a little better sensitivity than the LG.

Looks like the NTIA will make the decision for most buyers

I agree with your statements, but I must add:
1. The Zenith is time tested, the MicroProse is not.
2. The Zenith's remote control is universal (almost--it does not have many codes), the MicroProse is not.
I bought a Zenith. I considered the MicroProse, but don't want to be a beta tester.
post #149 of 202 Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post

Don't know if it helps, and I haven't paid attention to any Microprose threads before, but I called a local, smaller retailer today and when asked what coupon boxes they carry they said the Microprose. When I asked what model number, he said something like the "2000." I didn't write it down exactly figuring there couldn't be too many Microprose boxes to look up on the internet, but so far I don't see anything about a "2000."

Just tossing that out there.

Maybe he was talking about the Microgem MG2000.
post #150 of 202 Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Malouff and others... I got another email from NTIA in response to my original inquiry regarding approval of the MPI-500PT:
Quote:

Hi Aygeear,

You might like to know that the Microprose MPI-500PT was certified with analog pass through capability. It is on our list of CECBs, although we have not received any information about where or when it might be available in stores. https://www.ntiadtv.gov/cecb_list.cfm

Best regards,
Anita

So far, the Microprose store is still not open or taking orders... I wonder what's up with that? My coupons would have expired today if I had not used them to purchase (2) Zenith DTT-901s.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page