AVS Forum banner

Microprose MPI-500

42K views 200 replies 39 participants last post by  JonT43 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a discussion on the Microprose MPI-500.

From the Microprose web site:

Quote:
7th May 2008 -- Microprose Webstore announcement. On May 15th the Microprose online Webstore will be set to open. Of central interest to many is the ability to order the Microprose MPI-500PT model Digital to Analog Converter Boxes by many early adopters who's NTIA coupons are set to Expire on May 31st if not used.

The new MPI-500PT's have the much needed Analog Pass-Thru capability to allow TV owners who do not have a full range of Digital programming yet to continue to receive their existing Analog TV signals. Also, in support of Low Power TV stations, the Analog pass through allows those stations who will not be making the transition to Digital on February 17, 2009 to continue to be able to be received by their viewers.

I'm not sure why they added the "PT" to the model number.

They have a nice manual on the web site:
http://www.microprosesystems.com/support.htm

Is anyone planning on getting this box? It's nice that we can use our coupon with the actual manufacturer.

#152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff /forum/post/14258427

1. Why isn't the MicroProse time tested if the Zenith is?

2. The remote is the easiest thing to replace with any converter box purchase if you are unhappy with it and the replacement can also give you more features.

1. I suspect the Microprose will be a good box, but it has not been widely available.

2. Let us not forget the purpose of the coupon program is to decrease the cost impact of the digital switch. There are some who would find it difficult to shell out the dollars for a new remote. Of course those individuals probably wouldn't order online anyway, so the Microprose would likely not be an option for them. (Actually, I don't like the Zenith's remote because it doesn't control the TV volume, just the line output. If I were to recommend any box to someone with limited funds, it would be the RCA DTA800B1. It eliminates the major flaw in RCA's earlier boxes, inability to add stations to a previous scan; it's remote is simple and highly compatible; and it costs less than the Zenith and Microprose.)

I started my posting with a statement agreeing with your list of pros to the Microprose unit. There is no denying the external power supply and extra controls on the box are pluses. Lack of controls on the box is one reason I don't like the DTVPal.

The only true advantage of the Zenith is it has been available. (I haven't checked today to see if the Microprose is now being sold online. I know it's not available in stores here.)

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD210 /forum/post/14260110

I started my posting with a statement agreeing with your list of pros to the Microprose unit.

Yea I did notice that you started agreeing with my list of pros and also noticed that you considered the MicroProse

I was only replying to your "but I must add", It was nothing personal.

I agree it's only downfall is the availability to order.

It was recently added to the NTIA list of boxes but that's only half of the picture.

The NITA needs to again approve and list MicroProse as a participating retailer to get the full picture.

#154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff /forum/post/14237722

The important part with the other orders was that your coupons remained valid even though all MicroProse orders were canceled.

The important part is that the email did NOT say the orders were cancelled. It said "To cancel your order - CLICK HERE".

I have emailed and left voicemail for MP about my order to no avail. I gave them my card and CC; My dtv card is now expired, I have no box, and no communication with the company that has my CC info and dtv info. The broken MP site will not allow me to log in with the user and pass combination they keep automailing me.

My next move will be snailmail:

Contact us

Microprose Online Webstore

Entertainment through Innovation

1511 Route 22 - Suite 323

New York - Brewster (10509)

UNITED STATES

Phone 888-694-7265

Email sales@microproseonline.com

Since I won't have a converter box to use, I won't be watching TV after the changeover. This will give me plenty of time to ratchet up the heat on MP's shady practices.

#155 ·
I see that your coupon(s) remained valid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus /forum/post/14271985

My dtv card is now expired

They were not redeemed like a few others so even though the NTIA would not allow MicroProse to process orders your coupon(s) were still free to use.

Your next move after finding out that your order was cancelled should have been to get another box if you did not want to loose your coupon with the NTIA's "use it or loose it" rule.

Why are you so mad at MicroProse saying they had shady practices
What shady thing did they do?

They were not the ones who ultimately canceled all the orders the NTIA did.

If anything it looked they they tried to let the orders remain open when you got that "To cancel your order" email. They probably thought it would take a couple of days like everyone else did to get amended to the list and that is why they even sent that email message.

I thought it was approved when I ordered as all the other manufactures kept changing parts.

Look at how Zenith kept changing the tuners used in the DTT900

It looked like it was acceptable with the NTIA to change parts and not have to reapply for every change to me.

How could anyone have known how long the NTIA would take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus /forum/post/14271985

I have emailed and left voicemail for MP about my order to no avail. I gave them my card and CC; , I have no box, and no communication with the company that has my CC info and dtv info.
What do you want them to do about your order?

Sounds like they didn't redeem your coupon or charge your Credit Card so I see nothing shady there.

I don't see how you would not get a response unless you tried contacting them when the site was down.

The only possible reason I could see for no response from them is that your messages were done with anger and were threatening and they probably just quit contacting you after a few responses.

Not to sound hateful but the person that let your coupons expire was yourself as nothing was stopping you from getting a different converter box so it was neither the NTIA or MicroProse fault you didn't get a box.

#156 ·
Zenith got approval to use one of two tuners when they did the paeprwork for DTT900 certification. The APT model got FCC approval March 12. I can only guess that MicroProse didn't understand the need to get recertification when they added the APT feature. I have a feeling it got muddied with the very late discussions about APT, in December 2007. There's no reason to believe they were trying anything shady, they thought they were free to add the APT feature.

#157 ·
As to getting replies from Micropose, it ain't happenin'. I'm one who got a replacement coupon from them, and I've tried repeatedly to contact them by telephone and using several e-mail addresses. My communications were in no way belligerent nor threatening. I complimented them on their handling of my burned coupon, and asked when I might be able to use the replacement to buy an MPI-500PT knowing that it has been on the NTIA approved list for a while now. You'd think they might respond to explain that they are not yet an approved dealer, or let me know whatever is going on, but I get no response whatever. I may end up having to use my coupon for something else (not the TVPal).

#158 ·
Having just complained about lack of response, I just received an e-mail from Microprose:

Glad you received your replacement coupon, also our apologies for

the long delay in responses. Right now all of our resources are

towards not only our ATSC box w/pass through, but also on approx. 10

other products we have in the works from video game controllers, to high

performance cabling systems to HDMI interconnects, so until late August

once our new phone and help desk support service goes online, responses

are a little slow.

At this time we will have state side inventory into our CA.

warehouse on Sept. 19th and we are working with our sales rep firm to

look into retailer outlets and other avenues to sell the MPI-500PT's

Announcements should be forthcoming on our website in the coming weeks,

thank you for your support.

Microprose Sales Team

Too bad the coupon they supplied runs out on September 2.

#159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kolton /forum/post/14275701

Too bad the coupon they supplied runs out on September 2.

Dan they said the units are expected to go into their CA warehouse on Sept. 19th.

I am sure the NTIA will let them start selling them before they arrive in their warehouse.

So you have a very good chance to still order with your September 2nd coupon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroProse /forum/post/14275701

We are working with our sales rep firm to

look into retailer outlets and other avenues to sell the MPI-500PT's

Announcements should be forthcoming on our website in the coming weeks,

thank you for your support.

I knew have been working with the NTIA to approve the webstore again but am curious about these other outlets.

I also had known about the other products in development some of them are on the website and others are not.

#160 ·
Wait a minute. Until the NTIA pulled the plug on them they had an 800 number and web store up to accept orders for a product that would not be stateside until mid-Sept !

Sounds like another Memsen/convertmy.tv to me. The lack of business ethics in this CECB market is absolutely appalling

#161 ·
If they had to redesign the box to get CECB approval, it could be 3 months from approval to production, especially relying on overseas schedules. It was 3 months after FCC approval of the DTT901 before they first appeared in stores.

I don't know that's what happened, but Memsen told people the product had been shipped to them. It hadn't.

Wasn't Microprose selling analog pass through models without coupons after the NTIA shut them down on the coupon side of things?

I don't know that they are the result of eager attorneys after the MaxMedia mess, but everythin the NTIA has stepped in on has turned into a bigger mess.

#162 ·
What are you talking about gerhard911?

I know that you had seen this when they were taking orders the first time.

You had posted right after my post so back then it wasn't a huge surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff /forum/post/13910545

I know that they say delivery might not begin until July 31

I am in no rush I want something that will last for a long time and is using LG SoC

It will probably start shipping sooner they are being safe with the date to avoid becoming another MaxMedia scandal.

Remember the NTIA cease until approved alert.

MicroProse most likely also stopped production of the box until it was approved.

This is probably why they have gone from a July 31st delivery to mid-Sept.

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat /forum/post/14276797

Wasn't Microprose selling analog pass through models without coupons after the NTIA shut them down on the coupon side of things?

I think they still had it listed on their webstore for a while after the NTIA shut them down but the button did not work.

I don't think anyone got a box after the NTIA shut them down.

#165 ·
What I am talking about is a company that was set to take orders for something that was obviously not available (let alone approved by the NTIA).

Your own post that you quoted speculated that shipment might not occur until the end of July but you expected it much sooner. Now we hear that product will not be on this continent until mid-Sept

If the MP500 had to be "redesigned" to be approved as the APT model, that clearly indicates that there was no MP500PT product to be shipped when they tried to take orders. No wonder NTIA approval took so long.

I don't want to sound like dagger but your unfailing defense of Micropose certainly negates any appearance of objectivity. While I believe that the NTIA has royally FUBARed the CECB program in many ways it now appears that they may have actually protected consumers in the Micropose case.

#166 ·
I'm not sure who the "you" is you are referring to, gerhard911, but you include some of the things I said and some that others said.

I can't say what led to this mess any more than you can, but it seems that NTIA completely failed to consider the needs of LP viewers until the angry outcry in December. That's when they said ok go ahead and add APT, but how they said that confused at least 3 mfgrs and got them in trouble. It struck me months ago that everything NTIA was blocking was all about APT -- MaxMedia, MicroProse, and Provantage's TR-40 sale. The TR40 had been advertised as having APT, but the NTIA didn't think it did.

Even the Zenith boxes that went through proper channels were delayed many months. When 3 companies screwed up and so many mfgrs said they had APT when it didn't show on the CECB list, something is wrong with the process. Tivax had an issue, too -- the store guy said they had in the new APT model and guess what, no CECB asterisk. It doesn't absolve anyone, but it doesn't make them guilty of attempt to defraud the public, either. I don't intend to buy a MicroProse, I got my APT, 2 hours before my coupons expired if they go by D.C. time.

ETA: and oddly enough the asterisk itself only says that the mfg says it has APT.

#168 ·
Sorry for calling you out gerhard911

When I called for my order when the phone orders went active I was told that delivery could take until the end of July and if I wanted to proceed.

They told others who phoned in their order the same thing who also commented about the July delivery in this thread.

I did expect it sooner as doug malloy has shown his box so I knew that they were already in production and someone had got one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_malloy /forum/post/13839426

I ordered one a while back, just arrived today. I didn't use a coupon which was okay as I have mine coming in the mail soon and plan to buy more boxes with the coupons soon...

I ordered the MPI-500, but a MPI-500PT arrived - Got my pass through baby!, ya!!!.

Doug was also not alone with his order as the webstore had comments from several other people who also got the MPI-500PT without a coupon so it clearly indicated to me that there was a product.

Today was the first time I had seen anything about a delay of mid-Sept and I was just speculating reasons why.

So I guess because of my speculations and unfailing defense of Micropose would make me sound like as dagger666 says very suspicious.

dagger666 has also called me very suspicious about other converter boxes and even a MaxMedia spy.

He has not been the only one to accuse me about other boxes either.

I am a MicroProse supporter for a good reason as there are very few converter boxes that have Analog PassThru and can work with a cigarette lighter adapter.

I was also a DTVPal supporter and follower.

Now there is a box you can search the net on and see I was dedicated with.

I have also been very objective with the DTVPal if you follow those discussions.

How am I failing to be objective with the MicroProse?

I have admitted that it has some shortcomings like the remote for example.

I thought I was being very honest with everyone

I don't have all the answers and am just a consumer like you.

What more do you want from me?

#169 ·
Thanks to you both for the clarifications.

Malouff, I guess I missed the part about delayed product when the order line opened up. Microprose's manufacturing is beginning to sound like MaxMedia's -- a made-to-order manufacturer who builds and brands for virtually anyone, with unit pricing starting at 1 box. MM's "design" came from a catalog, and DK in turn was a garage-sized operation with 10 employees. Not that small shops can't deliver -- but when inexperience combines with overseas manufacturing and import, Murphy's Law applies.

Now it sounds like MP could be a similar arrangement? Didn't MP have a .edu email? Are these college aged entrepreneurs? Haha, now I'm suspicious.
Not about the product, I bet it works fine. Suspicious in their ability to deliver promptly, and in quantity, if they are talking September and don't have retailers lined up. I think there's a good chance someone will come out with a Pal-friendly car adapter, and with the potential for a $40 E* box, the early advantage MP had would be lost.

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff /forum/post/14277862

I don't have all the answers and am just a consumer like you.

What more do you want from me?

Nothing, really. I guess my response sounded a little harsh. Your participation here has been valuable, so accept my apologies.

Yes, hopefully we are all just consumers here or are up front about being something else, as Mosquito has been.

Unfortunately, I am an extremely frustrated consumer, like so many others here. Having had early coupons, I could not find an acceptable CECB to purchase prior to expiration. I burned one on the MaxMedia deal, hoping that the "preorder" would effectively extend the coupon's expiration. The NTIA certainly took care of that

So any company that knowingly set up a similar situation in the wake of how the NTIA dealt with the Memsen/convertmy.tv fiasco seems extremely suspect to me.

Maybe Micropose will eventually be able to deliver the features promised and the performance expected. If so, they would break the string of initially flawed CECBs released by every other manufacturer.

#171 ·
TalkingRat, I don't think MicroProse is a garage-sized operation as it is being run by people who are well known with Atari unlike the MaxMedia people who I never heard of.

I don't think there are any companies that are not using a overseas manufacturer.

Who's to say that the delay is not caused by their overseas manufacturer who may even be LG

I am not 100% sure but do know that LG is involved with the MicroProse box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff /forum/post/14258427

Like I said they are very similar because LG Electronics is producing the Board, here is some proof:
Where this .edu email came from.

It was KeepUsOn and I doubt that they ever contacted MicroProse with that email.

If you read their messages they sometimes give out wrong information like wrong urls.

They do however try to be helpful but are sometimes off on their information.

Recently they gave the admin url (luckily it needed a username and password) for their site instead of a DTVPal link

I told gH about their error and they had it fixed.

That email does sound suspicious and I will inquire about it and see if it was a mistake.

About the car adapter for the DTVPal.

I had contacted Dish Network several times about that and was never given an answer.

I therefor contacted 3rd party companies that do make car adapters and also was never given an answer.

The only thing with the DTVPal is you better bring the remote and have a good set of batteries in them.

Also light might also cause a problem with the remote is indicated by another AVS Forum member so it is not 100% travel friendly.

Early advantage MicroProse had may be lost

Dish Network still needs to correct their firmware first or stations need to all send the right time. There are a lot of people who were turned away from the DTVPal because of it's problems. Because of people being turned away from the DTVPal they may actually get better timing it all depends on what Dish Network does.

Dish Network also selling at the $39.99 price will also probably hurt every company if they can distribute with a good supply chain.

Who knows with Dish Network as they look like they lie a lot.

I don't trust them anymore after what they have done.

#172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 /forum/post/14279240

So any company that knowingly set up a similar situation in the wake of how the NTIA dealt with the Memsen/convertmy.tv fiasco seems extremely suspect to me.

I don't think the NTIA did much of anything with the Memsen/ConvertMy.TV fiasco.

They never had a NTIA alert or gave any consumer warning.

I don't think the NTIA did much of anything they have even now listed the MaxMedia Lutro* and both are acting like nothing happened.

All the warnings for this fiasco were from other consumers

All the NTIA did was send letters to people like you who did order saying they are working on a solution to replace coupons.

None of you have even seen a coupon so who knows how long they will be looking into that solution for.

I think you would agree that the Memsen/convertmy.tv fiasco was a lot bigger and worse than the MicroProse one was.

We can all speculate as to why they were the only company that ever got a NTIA alert to - I still say bad blood with the CBA and NTIA.

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff /forum/post/14279544

I don't think the NTIA did much of anything with the Memsen/ConvertMy.TV fiasco.

It is very difficult for me to not climb all over that statement but I will try to remain civilized. Do you actually know the details of the Memsen/ConvertMy.TV fiasco ?

The NTIA shut down convertmy.tv and delisted them as an approved retailer, forcing them to remit all coupon monies collected back to the government. They also removed the MaxMedia box from the approved list. Sounds like a little more than "not much of anything" to me. Left alone, Memsen might have been able to deliver the boxes that were ordered.

I also think the NTIA realized they had dropped the ball in letting the convertmy.tv situation develop. It's my belief that is why they took the swift actions they did with Microprose and generated the consumer alert. Those actions are precisely why the Microprose situation did not get as big or as bad as with Memsen/ConvertMy.TV.

#174 ·
After the Memsen/convertmy.tv thing, NTIA made an announcement that they had hired a team of attorneys.

I see different treatment, in that Microprose was essentially left standing in the stocks for months with that top of the list public "ALERT" message, while MaxMedia, who also said their product had APT, and had arranged to have it sold, stayed invisible.

#175 ·
gerhard911,

I am very familiar with the details of the Memsen/ConvertMy.TV fiasco.

Look in the old thread and you will see was there.

It is how the NTIA kept the Memsen/ConvertMy.TV fiasco invisible is what I was talking about.

Unless you were part of the fiasco or read forums about it then most people would never know it happened. It was very invisible to the general public.

I agree that the NTIA did remove them as an approved retailer and forced them to remit all coupon money collected back to the government.

Who stopped that box is anyone's guess.

You can say the NTIA did if you want.

I honestly think it was Memsen/MaxMedia as they had no product except for the Sansonic.

MicroProse however was treated differently by the NTIA as their fiasco was not quite as invisible to the public.

That is why I said "I don't think the NTIA did much of anything with the Memsen/ConvertMy.TV fiasco"

I am again sorry if I have angered you but I was just trying to again be truthful and tell you the way I see it. This does not mean that everyone will agree with me but it's as good as I can remember. If I am wrong do correct me in any thread and if I understand the reasoning I will usually also agree and understand my mistake.

#176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat /forum/post/14279052

Didn't MP have a .edu email? Are these college aged entrepreneurs? Haha, now I'm suspicious.

I asked KeepUsOn about this .edu email and they said the following
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepUsOn /forum/post/0

I am not sure about the e-mail above but you can contact Curt at curt.vendel@microproseonline.com . He is forthright and honest - no garbage business running! Thank You

For your reference is where the post with the .edu email originated from
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxn7 /forum/post/14068875

I have contacted CBA/Keepuson.com and they sent me another email to try for Microprose information: wgungfu@csd.uwm.edu . They/Keepuson.com said they have received an update from a Martin Scott at this address.

All I have to say is that I have never heard of a Martin Scott and think he was just another consumer that had contacted KeepUsOn but do find them releasing that name and email to be suspicious.

Here are some sites with information about Curt Vendel if you do a simple Google Search.

You can find more then this about him also like when he was on HGTV
Atari Flashback Interview | Another interview | Images | A hack for his Atari Flashback he posted

Also the MicroProse site is registered to Frederic Chesnais
In 2007 Frederic Chesnais resigned as CEO of Atari Interactive, Inc. and acquired Microprose.

So it is definitely not some college aged entrepreneurs, and I also hope you are less suspicious

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.