AVS Forum banner

Microprose MPI-500

42K views 200 replies 39 participants last post by  JonT43 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a discussion on the Microprose MPI-500.

From the Microprose web site:

Quote:
7th May 2008 -- Microprose Webstore announcement. On May 15th the Microprose online Webstore will be set to open. Of central interest to many is the ability to order the Microprose MPI-500PT model Digital to Analog Converter Boxes by many early adopters who's NTIA coupons are set to Expire on May 31st if not used.

The new MPI-500PT's have the much needed Analog Pass-Thru capability to allow TV owners who do not have a full range of Digital programming yet to continue to receive their existing Analog TV signals. Also, in support of Low Power TV stations, the Analog pass through allows those stations who will not be making the transition to Digital on February 17, 2009 to continue to be able to be received by their viewers.

I'm not sure why they added the "PT" to the model number.

They have a nice manual on the web site:
http://www.microprosesystems.com/support.htm

Is anyone planning on getting this box? It's nice that we can use our coupon with the actual manufacturer.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee /forum/post/13839264

I thought I would start a discussion on the Microprose MPI-500.

From the Microprose web site:

They have a nice manual on the web site:
http://www.microprosesystems.com/support.htm

Is anyone planning on getting this box? It's nice that we can use our coupon with the actual manufacturer.

I ordered one a while back, just arrived today. I didn't use a coupon which was okay as I have mine coming in the mail soon and plan to buy more boxes with the coupons soon...

I ordered the MPI-500, but a MPI-500PT arrived - Got my pass through baby!, ya!!!

Will write up a review once I've had a chance to tinker around with the box a little while.

#3 ·
Please include pictures and let me know what EPG and Menu Style it uses.

Also let us know if it has the LG Audio problem.

If you don't mind can you say how much and where you bought yours for too.

I thought you couldn't order till the 15th, must have been eBay like the Apex Peter bought.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee /forum/post/13839264

PT is to indicate pass through

But remember it may have the LG Audio problem and waiting for the Zenith DTT901 also with pass through may be a better option.

#7 ·
I noticed PaulGo got a replacement of the existing DTT900 for one that has the "buffer replaced" sticker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo /forum/post/13799863

These replacement boxes have a February date but the have a sticker that says "buffer replaced" if that means anything. These boxes were custom boxes that Zenith is sending out to people who complain.

Yes the DTT900 and DTT901 look like they do use the same chip but LG has become aware of the problem with the "buffer replaced" and the DTT901 I am thinking would also have this too.

#8 ·
If you are just considering the Microprose because it adds another Analog PassThru.

There is also the Apex DT250* being sold by The Twister Group at www.thetwistergroup.com

However, they are listed as out of stock at this time.

It is listed for $52.12 and I am thinking shipping will be around $14.05 like the Digital Stream so about $26.17 Total.

#12 ·
News Update (May 16, 2008)

The staff is aware of the great deal of interest and eagerness from so many

who've called and emailed wanting to access the webstore and order

their MPI-500 units.

Our Webdev engineers are fighting two randomly appearing issues, one is

a security hole which is completely unacceptable. Also the NTIA is having

a downtime on Sunday for Maintenance. All of this has brought a decision to

delay the launch and processing of orders until 12:01am May 26th.

In honor of Memorial day and to show our appreciation to all of the patient

Microprose consumers, we will be offering FREE SHIPPING (an $8.50 value)

and also lowering the after Voucher price from $22.99 to $19.99 until 11:59pm

on May 26th.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_signal /forum/post/13886528

News Update (May 16, 2008)

The staff is aware of the great deal of interest and eagerness from so many

who've called and emailed wanting to access the webstore and order

their MPI-500 units.

Our Webdev engineers are fighting two randomly appearing issues, one is

a security hole which is completely unacceptable. Also the NTIA is having

a downtime on Sunday for Maintenance. All of this has brought a decision to

delay the launch and processing of orders until 12:01am May 26th.

In honor of Memorial day and to show our appreciation to all of the patient

on May 26th.

I am so confused. Can you place an order for this box now? Or a pre-order? How can they say you cant order until 12:01 am on may 26th but you will get a discount on orders if you place order 11:59 pm on may 26th?

Is there a way to order?

How did doug_malloy oder his and receive it?

#15 ·
lexus2108,

MicroProse's store will not open until 12:01am May 26th and you have from then until 11:59pm to get the FREE SHIPPING (an $8.50 value)
and lower price from $22.99 to $19.99.

doug_malloy did not order with MicroProse and didn't get to use a coupon.

Just like PeterTheGeek got his demonstration Apex from eBay without a coupon.

I for one will be ordering as I like how it has external DC power, offers more controls on the front of the box to use without a remote, has passthru, and has the LG Chip that seems to be winning as having the best sensitivity.

This makes this box great for Vehicle/Travel use.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff /forum/post/13886898

lexus2108,

MicroProse's store will not open until 12:01am May 26th and you have from then until 11:59pm to get the FREE SHIPPING (an $8.50 value)
and lower price from $22.99 to $19.99.

doug_malloy did not order with MicroProse and didn't get to use a coupon.

Just like PeterTheGeek got his demonstration Apex from eBay without a coupon.

I for one will be ordering as I like how it has external DC power, offers more controls on the front of the box to use without a remote, has passthru, and has the LG Chip that seems to be winning as having the best sensitivity.

This makes this box great for Vehicle/Travel use.

How does passthru work on this box? Like the G9? through menu? I hope not? Hope it is simple.

#17 ·
I have been talking with Curt at MicroProse and he said that it was ok with him to share the following:
  • Phone Orders line will open May 19 at 9am Eastern - 888-694-7265
  • The case is all metal and the front panel is plastic with a clear arcylic cover over the front
  • The box is large, has excellent ventilation and hasn't needed a heatsink in normal conditions
  • How Analog PassThru will work

Press Power on remote or Standby on the front of the unit and the system goes into pass through mode

In July they plan to make formal announcement of another NON-CECB they are working on that will most likely be offering HDMI out and will be a Digital OTA PVR device.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff /forum/post/13888718

I have been talking with Curt at MicroProse and he said that it was ok with him to share the following:
  • Phone Orders line will open Monday at 9am Eastern - 888-694-7265
  • The case is all metal and the front panel is plastic with a clear arcylic cover over the front
  • The box is large, has excellent ventilation and hasn't needed a heatsink in normal conditions
  • How Analog PassThru will work

Press Power on remote or Standby on the front of the unit and the system goes into pass through mode

In July they plan to make formal announcement of another NON-CECB they are working on that will most likely be offering HDMI out and will be a Digital OTA PVR device.

Monday as in May 19th?

Does the signal degrade in passthru mode? How does the box keep the analog passthru strong. The G9 needs to be on. Turn off power and you get nothing.

Does the remote control the volume and TV on/ off?

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 /forum/post/13889135

Monday as in May 19th?

Does the signal degrade in passthru mode? How does the box keep the analog passthru strong. The G9 needs to be on. Turn off power and you get nothing.

Does the remote control the volume and TV on/ off?

Monday as in post # 13.

The manual didn't say anything about passthru. Could this be a premanual add on?

Controlling the TV via remote is vague. Nothing on TV power but this on volume.

TV sound Mode Selection

Press AUDIO button to select Digital TV

Sound mode.

Note: Items available will depend on the TV

sound system being broadcasted.

http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/support-f...ser_manual.pdf

#20 ·
In addition to what Malouff learned, I was told that the tuner is by Sanyo. I'd assume that you control TV volume the way you do now. "Off" or "standby" takes the converter out of the circuit, but leaves the antenna connected. It is unlikely to be any different from the situation without the box.

#21 ·
Yes, PHONE orders start May 19th at 9am Eastern the webstore is Memorial Day the 26th.

I would assume that passthru would work the same as a VCR does.

The converter box is still getting power in Standby mode.

With passthu working with the box off it should also prolong the life of the converter box and also help with heat problems.

I am not sure about how the remote controls the volume because I was not concerned about it for my application.

I want the Converter box for use in my van for the kids.

I have a A/V switch that has a headphone jack that I use with my FM transmitter and listen over the stereo this way I can control the volume.

Curt is however planning on posting a newer manual on the MicroProse website.

The phone number and date was also listed on the MicroProse website.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff /forum/post/13889943

Yes, PHONE orders start May 19th at 9am Eastern the webstore is Memorial Day the 26th.

I would assume that passthru would work the same as a VCR does.

The converter box is still getting power in Standby mode.

With passthu working with the box off it should also prolong the life of the converter box and also help with heat problems.

I am not sure about how the remote controls the volume because I was not concerned about it for my application.

I want the Converter box for use in my van for the kids.

I have a A/V switch that has a headphone jack that I use with my FM transmitter and listen over the stereo this way I can control the volume.

Curt is however planning on posting a newer manual on the MicroProse website.

The phone number and date was also listed on the MicroProse website.

Did they change the discount to the 19th to the 26th date? OR is the Discount for 1 day? The 26th. Then everyone would wait till the 26th. I bet they change it to reflect the phone orders for 19th to 26th

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 /forum/post/13890566

Did they change the discount to the 19th to the 26th date? OR is the Discount for 1 day? The 26th. Then everyone would wait till the 26th. I bet they change it to reflect the phone orders for 19th to 26th

As the news states, the lower price is in effect until 11:59pm on May 26th, and I assume this also applies to phone orders.

"In honor of Memorial day and to show our appreciation to all of the patient

on May 26th."

#25 ·
I ordered one over the phone.

1x #MPI-500PT/15 Digital to Analog TV Converter Settop Box variations = $19.99

return policy/warranty is 90 days/1 year

I had to leave my name and number on their answering machine because of the volume of calls. They were quick to call me back.

While ordering they had to state NTIA rules.

I bet they will open the webstore early so they don't lose their voice.

They will then give you a order number and will send a copy to your email.

#26 ·
The new manual offers very little new except for mention af analog pass-through:

http://www.microprosesystems.com/man...0PT-Manual.pdf

The Microprose is very tempting, but I am holding out for the Zenith DTT901. My 1 coupon expires June 30, and I can still order a 2nd coupon, if necessary. I like the volume/channel/menu buttons, the longer warranty, and, if I needed it, the option to run it off a car battery would be nice. However, I prefer the audible beep signal meter offered by Zenith, the Recall Last Channel button on the remote, the mono/stereo option, and the lower power requirement of the DTT901.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.