Insignia Converter Box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My friend bought a couple of the Insignia convertor boxes this afternoon and I hooked them up for her. We are having problems getting it to recognize about 5 stations.
Without the converter box, she was able to watch Channel 5, Channel 4, Channel 2, Channel 52 and channel 68 along with the other stations. They weren't real clear, but she could watch them. she was using an antenna that plugged in to electricity.
After hooking up the box, she can no longer receive 5,4,2 52 or 68. She lives in a 2-story house. (doesn't use the upstairs for anything)
How can I get these stations to come in? We tried another (supposed to be) higher performance antenna but no luck with it either. Was only pulling in the same stations as before. Why would she have a week signal (but enough to watch the stations) without the box and now with the box can no longer receive them.?
does it have something to do with the antenna? Should she have an outside antenna OR one in the 2nd floor, or is there someway to set up the indoor antenna so it will pull in these stations. She is maybe 50 miles away from station 5, maybe 20 miles for Station 4...don't know about the others.

Hope you can give me some suggestions we can do to get her the stations to view. She likes to watch both those stations...sure would like to get them to come in for her. I tired for quite a while this afternoon...

Thank you very much
Barbara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacat104 View Post

My friend bought a couple of the Insignia convertor boxes this afternoon and I hooked them up for her. We are having problems getting it to recognize about 5 stations.
Without the converter box, she was able to watch Channel 5, Channel 4, Channel 2, Channel 52 and channel 68 along with the other stations. They weren't real clear, but she could watch them. she was using an antenna that plugged in to electricity.
After hooking up the box, she can no longer receive 5,4,2 52 or 68. She lives in a 2-story house. (doesn't use the upstairs for anything)
How can I get these stations to come in? We tried another (supposed to be) higher performance antenna but no luck with it either. Was only pulling in the same stations as before. Why would she have a week signal (but enough to watch the stations) without the box and now with the box can no longer receive them.?
does it have something to do with the antenna? Should she have an outside antenna OR one in the 2nd floor, or is there someway to set up the indoor antenna so it will pull in these stations. She is maybe 50 miles away from station 5, maybe 20 miles for Station 4...don't know about the others.

Hope you can give me some suggestions we can do to get her the stations to view. She likes to watch both those stations...sure would like to get them to come in for her. I tired for quite a while this afternoon...

Thank you very much
Barbara

Nobody can really help you here if you don't give us some more information, such as your area, station call signs because each situation is different.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Barbara

Without a digital tv tuner she was watching analog tv before. The converter box tunes in digital tv only.

The stations are probably known by there analog tv channels. The digital signals of 2, 4 and 5 are almost certainly UHF channels at the moment. You would need a UHF antenna pointed in the right direction and a good antenna for something 50 miles away, maybe not for indoors. Also the temporary UHF channels now may have a weaker signal because of lower power and antenna location before the transition.

Without knowing her location and stations involved it makes it hard to advise.
post #4 of 22 Old 05-10-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

sorry... forgot to put down where we are... I was trying to post and watch Nascar and cheer for Dale Jr at the same time.

My friend lives in Dallas.
Station 4 is KDFW
Station 5 is KXAS
Station 27 is KDFI
Station 52 is KWFD
Station 68 is KPXD
Station 2 is KDTN

I live in Mesquite area which is east of Dallas and I was able to pull in all the stations with a small set of rabbit ears inside the house. My antenna is a small RCA antenna.
RCA Indoor Passive TV Antenna
Model #: RCA ANT146
VHS and UHF Antenna

Thanks
Barbara
post #5 of 22 Old 05-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mamacat104 (Barbara)
Enter your friends address at antennaweb or tvfool they will tell you what direction the antenna needs to point.

You can also save your tvfool results...you will see a link (save image).

Next time you post scroll down to Additional Options and
click Manage Attachments select your TV Fool image.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #6 of 22 Old 05-11-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the image for her address...and here is the info from AntennaWeb

thanks
LL

Stations and Antenna Types.doc 265.5k . file
post #7 of 22 Old 05-11-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Your friend needs to get a small directional antenna. Something like the TERK HDTVa should work. All the stations are in the same direction and have reasonable signal strengths.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-11-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Are you saying she gets no digital at all? Asking the obvious, is her tv set for channel 3, (or for mine, I had to be on Vid1, using RCA connections)? Her signal strength is huge, compared to mine, and I'm using indoor antennas. I have a Terk HDTVa and a coathanger with dipole for my temporary channel 4 real frequency. I get everything up to -70dBm or better, and one in another direction I can get one -75 if I work at it. I need the amp only on first floor, wrong side of house, stuck between chimney and garage (metal doors). A coathanger antenna does as well everywhere else.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-11-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi
Yes, TV and the Box are set to channel 3... We are getting a picture on some of the stations... but not 5 of them and at least two of them, she watches a lot...(4 and 5)..
She gets quite a few of the channels, but can't pull in Channel 4, channel 5, channel 2, Channel 52 and channel 68. It keeps telling her "No Data". She has an electric antenna right now (I think it is a Phillips one, but not sure at the moment....I would have to call her to ask).
I"m further away from the stations than she is and I have no problem pulling in all the stations with my rabbit ears which is an RCA. So not sure why she isn't pulling them in.... She was able to see the channels before I hooked up the converter box, but with the box, it is getting no data returned. I will try and work on it again this weekend for her. I was surprised when she couldn't get those 5 stations in .... The other stations are okay...nice a clear. No problems with them... only these 5 are giving me the problem.
I have been digging online trying to figure out what to do next to pull in the stations and I was reading about a multi-directional antenna maybe up on the roof and hooked to the box.. Or installed in her upstairs bedroom near the window.. Or maybe try the rabbit ears she has on the TV now ... move them closer to the window and try that.
So strange that the signal would be good enough and I not be able to pull those 5 in. I tried entering them manually and no luck that way either. I'm hoping I can come up with something to pull in the signal with. I even thought of attaching some long aluminum to each ear and making the antenna longer with it and see if that helps (Like Aluminum foil...) Something that will help.
thanks
Have a good evening
Barbara
post #10 of 22 Old 05-11-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot... quick queston TalkingRat.... You mentioned Metal doors on the garage.... would a metal door be causing part of her problem? Her front door on the house in the living room is a metal door (which we didnt' realize it before that it was...).
later
Barbara
post #11 of 22 Old 05-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Forgot... quick queston TalkingRat.... You mentioned Metal doors on the garage.... would a metal door be causing part of her problem? Her front door on the house in the living room is a metal door (which we didnt' realize it before that it was...).
later
Barbara

A metal door on house wouldn't affect.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-12-2008, 06:30 AM

Liked: 11
Mamacat:
Aren't the stations she is trying to get the same as she was getting before you hooked up the converter box? The converter box will 'throw away' analog stations, and the TV will never have a chance to receive them. I *think* that is the situation...
If so, she needs a converter box with "pass through" which will let the analog stations go right on through to the TV when desired. An alternative is an 'A-B' antenna switch.
tom
post #13 of 22 Old 05-12-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you...
I didn't realize that... Yesterday, she got two of the channels to come in for a short time, then they faded out and were gone again...(4 and 5).
I didn't realize there were two different types of converter boxes...pass through and non-pass through.... Seems like they should all handle the stations the same .. The Insignia that she got was the only ones on the shelves at Best Buy... Wal-Mart was totally out, Didn't see any at Radio Shack and the supply was low at Best Buy. We checked with Wal-Mart and they had some in transit...but only 12 of them. I have a feeling the closer we get to the time to change over, the boxes are going to be harder to get a hold of...they aren't putting enough out at the stores around here to take care of the many many people who don't have cable and can't afford cable or a new TV.
She may have to deal with it as it is til the switch over to all digital then.

thanks
Have a good day
Barbara
post #14 of 22 Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It is early in the manufacturing life of the CECBs. The boxes new available are only three months into the manufacturing life cycle and production/supplier problems are now being fixed. Many suppliers have approved boxes that have not shipped yet. I have a feeling that in three or four months, large quantities of CECBs will be readily available from many sources.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-12-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Barbara,

For my indoor amplified antenna, metal objects in the room did make a difference, if I were pointing the antenna in that direction and very close to the metal. I am new to OTA, but I'll share what I learned by doing re indoor antenna and analog:digital signals.

First, the best place for the antenna is not the same for digital as it was for analog. Get a longer coax cable, and move around the room. There were surprises!! Once you know what's good for the hard signals, you may find a place where they all work. A nice feature of this model is the audio signal. But I also like going into Setup to Manual Tuning, where I can scroll through all possible real frequencies (ones already found are bolded) and if I find a weak signal, then I go walking. There is a lag time, go slowly.

Secondly, channels 4 and 5 are broadcasting both analog and digital. Pass through would get you the analog versions only only until Feb 17. These are not low power stations, they will go away then. Both 4.1 and 5.1 are UHF real frequencies, and stay where they are after Feb. Lengthening rabbit ears is only for VHF signals, it won't help you find these two. When I go looking for UHF signals, I get the rabbit ears out of the way.

Channel 4.1 real frequency is UHF 35, and channel 5.1 is UHF 41. I'm no expert, but a potential problem is that you have adjacent channels on 36 (27.1), 40 (39.1), and 42 (68.1). Someone who understands this will need to comment, I don't know why they weren't marked "a" on TVFool, so I may be missing something. One possible solution could be getting a CECB with a dual converter tuner -- Microtune-- a Plano company -- but I'd wait for an expert to comment here, too.

One other thing I don't understand is why you get such wildly different results from antennaweb vs. TVFool. For antennaweb coding, indoor antennas do pretty well with yellow, and you may get the greens. Your signals show as mostly blue, which I can't get indoors. And yet, the TVFool chart shows LOS, <20 miles, strong signals in the -46 to -55 dBm range, which should be great with an indoor antenna. If I had that, I'd have to turn my amplification off. You could see what happens if you do that, turning off the switch, but it has to stay plugged in. For me (weaker signals than you) the amplification only helps in my one bad room where the outside signal is blocked in all directions.

On supply, the coupon fulfillment center provides zipcode info to the retailers, so they can anticipate and stock up. But what happened was, there were so few box models actually manufactured, that people waited for ones with features they wanted. I think it will get better. Part of the mfg delay was a last minute decision to allow analog pass through, so there was a scramble to add that to the products. Zenith/Insignia got FCC approval for a pass through model on March 12, but it isn't out yet. With RS, I looked online, and the stores in stock changed a lot, daily. I suspected one of the reasons for the slowdown is they want to save inventory space for other models.

For your friend, all the analog stations listed are currently broadcasting digital. To see if there are any stations she would want that will stay analog, look at the post transition analog chart -- TVFool doesn't show all the analog when you look at the combined lists. If you had analog pass through now (or an A/B switch setup) she could still get the analog 4 and 5m, but that does her good only until Feb 17. The digital ones seem to be running at full power already. You could compare TVFool digital signal strength now vs. post transition charts, to look for expected impovements in signal. Just having the airwaves cleaned up a bit could help.

Good luck, you're a good friend to help out.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-15-2008, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Link: CNET Reviews Insignia NS-DXA1
Quote:

* CNET Editors' Rating 6.7/10 Good

Product Summary

The good: Solid video quality and reception; easy-to-use design, especially for digital TV amateurs; decent aspect ratio controls for handling widescreen programs on standard TVs; attractive design; remote can control the TV's power.

The bad: Program guide is very basic; small remote control buttons aren't ideal for seniors; audio quality is subpar.

The bottom line: The Insignia NS-DXA1 DTV converter box has an easy-to-use design and solid video quality, but buyers should be aware of cheaper--and possibly better--alternatives coming in the future.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-10-2008, 03:19 PM

I have a Toshiba 13A23 bought in 2003. I have connected 2 Insignia Digital to Analog converters and cannot get menu to appear. I set channel to '2' and can see a vague outline of the menu but it is jumpy, scrolling, and scratchy. I bought my Insignia at Best Buy and will take it back. BTW when I connect TV to RCA amplified indoor antenna, local stations come in fine. Guess I need to try another brand?
Thanks, melody
post #18 of 22 Old 07-10-2008, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamowa View Post

I have a Toshiba 13A23 bought in 2003. I have connected 2 Insignia Digital to Analog converters and cannot get menu to appear. I set channel to '2' and can see a vague outline of the menu but it is jumpy, scrolling, and scratchy. I bought my Insignia at Best Buy and will take it back. BTW when I connect TV to RCA amplified indoor antenna, local stations come in fine. Guess I need to try another brand?
Thanks, melody

If you hooked it up via with the antenna jack, you are suppose to turn it to channel 3. When you turn it on the 1st time, a setup menu should appear to guide you.

Be aware that BestBuy only stocks these old Insignia's and the Apex.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-10-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I used RCA (red/white/yellow) to connect to my tv, and the tv had to be on "Vid1" (the Vid input I happened to connect it to, I have 3 of them). A tv button cycles through my choices: tv, vid1, vid2, vid3. On another tv, the Vid choices are between channels 69 and 2, and are called "AV Front" and "AV Rear." By the time I figured out where the picture was showing up, my CECB was all set up and waiting for me.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamowa View Post

Guess I need to try another brand?
Thanks, melody

My guess is the instructions need to be read :-). If you're still having issues please post back with complete details of connections.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Be aware that BestBuy only stocks these old Insignia's and the Apex.

On the Zenith DTT901 thread WackyPacks has been the first to report obtaining an Insignia analog pass through model of June 2008 production at a Best Buy store. Congratulations!

Here is that report:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post14314129

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #22 of 22 Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post

Without a digital tv tuner she was watching analog tv before. The converter box tunes in digital tv only.

The stations are probably known by there analog tv channels. The digital signals of 2, 4 and 5 are almost certainly UHF channels at the moment. You would need a UHF antenna pointed in the right direction and a good antenna for something 50 miles away, maybe not for indoors. Also the temporary UHF channels now may have a weaker signal because of lower power and antenna location before the transition.

Without knowing her location and stations involved it makes it hard to advise.

You need to do one of three things.

1. Place the tv in the highest part of the house.
2. Have a top notch rooftop antenna installed.
3. Get cable tv.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page