What CECB is the best? And worst. Vote here. Updated tally 7/24/10 - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 541 Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a couple of Insignia NS-DXA1-APT boxes (BestBuy private label of Zenith). Purchased them based on review comments they praising excellent fringe area tuner.

Reception is good, adding/manipulating channels is flexible for rotor based antenna. Did not have any problems with station moves or duplicate virtual channel numbers. Composite video looks good on PC monitor. Analog pass-through feature was nice pretransition.

Very happy with it. The only complaint is that signal meter is an uncalibrated bar graph. Much prefer more detailed report we get from Sony TV.

Have never used any other converter box so have nothing to compare it to other then tuner works much better the PC TV tuner cards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Hi all. Does anyone know which converter box is the best that lets you watch HDTV programming? I have the Sony XBR 700 40 inch CRT HDTV and it does not have the built in tuner so I was wondering what the best box was that allowed me to still see the beautiful 1080i picture this tv can support. Thanks!
post #513 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post

Hi all. Does anyone know which converter box is the best that lets you watch HDTV programming? I have the Sony XBR 700 40 inch CRT HDTV and it does not have the built in tuner so I was wondering what the best box was that allowed me to still see the beautiful 1080i picture this tv can support. Thanks!

Converter boxes do not provide HD output. They are SD only and are designed to be used with older TVs, etc. Your plan won't work, you will need to buy a real HD box that provides HD output, not a converter box.
post #514 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 01:23 PM

http://www.frys.com/product/5488779?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

According to that link, they can. I have an antenna hooked up to my Plasma upstairs and I get HDTV but the Sony needs more than just an antenna. If I can't get HDTV then that site is lying.
post #515 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post

http://www.frys.com/product/5488779?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

According to that link, they can. I have an antenna hooked up to my Plasma upstairs and I get HDTV but the Sony needs more than just an antenna. If I can't get HDTV then that site is lying.

not it is not exactly lying, it may be marketing speak (to many people they mean the same thing though).

it does receive a HDTV signal and does process it, it does not display an HDTV picture, it displays an SDTV picture.
post #516 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post

not it is not exactly lying, it may be marketing speak (to many people they mean the same thing though).

it does receive and HDTV signal and does process it, it does not display an HDTV picture, it displays an SDTV picture.

actually I thought it can display an HDTV picture if you're using it with an HDTV...I've done this with my converter box before with my HDTV to test it for something. But if you have a nonHDTV like most people using the converter boxes then it won't display in HD
post #517 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post

it does receive and HDTV signal and does process it, it does not display an HDTV picture, it displays an SDTV picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox View Post

actually I thought it can display an HDTV picture if you're using it with an HDTV...I've done this with my converter box before with my HDTV to test it for something. But if you have a nonHDTV like most people using the converter boxes then it won't display in HD

the CECB only outputs an NTSC analog signal. if you have a quality display it will look good but not be HD.
post #518 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
CECBs "receive" digital and HD programming but provide only "analog" RF, composite and (in a few models) S-Video outputs. CECBs do not provide component and HDMI outputs necessary to provide actual digital and HD signals.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #519 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

CECB's receive all levels of DTV programming and down-converts the programming to 480i, for output through RF, Composite, and S-Video.

USEFUL LINKS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #520 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcraig500 View Post

Converter boxes do not provide HD output. They are SD only and are designed to be used with older TVs, etc. Your plan won't work, you will need to buy a real HD box that provides HD output, not a converter box.

What about the boxes that have component output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

CECBs "receive" digital and HD programming but provide only "analog" RF, composite and (in a few models) S-Video outputs. CECBs do not provide component and HDMI outputs necessary to provide actual digital and HD signals.

There are some converter boxes that have component video. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16905899 EDIT: Not a CECB box.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #521 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

What about the boxes that have component output?

There are no NTIA Coupon Eligible Convertor Boxes (CECB) that have component outputs but there are HD boxes that can be found here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095 that do.
post #522 of 541 Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

There are no NTIA Coupon Eligible Convertor Boxes (CECB) that have component outputs but there are HD boxes that can be found here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095 that do.

Yeah I know, I should have added that, I missed that. I'll edit.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #523 of 541 Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Some?

Yes, "some" have component video. Not all, not none, but some. And the one I pointed out, is one of them. Or are you saying that does not output analog? That does not appear to be the case because it says "Receives free Over-the-Air (OTA) digital television signals" and "Down-converts OTA HDTV signals for use with standard-definition (480i/480p)", and "Note: MCM is not authorized to accept the government coupon for converter boxes."

God Bless,
-Clint
post #524 of 541 Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

None of the CECB's have HD output.

I know, I corrected that in my post #524.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #525 of 541 Old 08-07-2009, 08:51 AM

Is the winegard rc-dt09a the same as the Venturer Digital Converter Box that is sold at Target?

Edit: It appears they are the same. I bought the Venturer and it's manual is the same as the manual for the winegard I found on line.

The reception appears to about identical to the Zenith dtt 901. The EPG on the Zenith is better. I also like the Zenith menus better, but they are basically the same.
post #526 of 541 Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 PM

I like the DTVPal because of the programming guide. I have 3 of these, one is being used with a HDTV because the Digital TV has no programming guide.
post #527 of 541 Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 AM

Worst - APEX DT250A , I'm on my third one because the first two quit working.................. Wait a minute THIRD one ......... How dumb am I ????
post #528 of 541 Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Why haven't you exchanged it for an APEX DT502? They are the improved version of the DT250/DT250A units.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #529 of 541 Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Well, if he got it from Best Buy, and his BB is like all the ones around here, they have plenty of the DT250A's in stock and haven't had any of the DT502's for a long, long time.
post #530 of 541 Old 08-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan mi View Post

Worst - APEX DT250A , I'm on my third one because the first two quit working.................. Wait a minute THIRD one ......... How dumb am I ????

I enjoy reading the threads, they are sometime funny and you intentionally wanted to be funny - you have fully succeeded, you have good sense of humor, and on top of it you also get good advice from others,Alo.
post #531 of 541 Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Updated Tally 7/24/10

Best
Zenith 901 / Insignia APT - 53
Channel Master - 26 (note this unit was not available until the Zenith already had 15 best' votes)
Digital Stream - 11
DTVPal Plus- 8
RCA - 4
Apex 502 - 4
Tivax - 4
Coship - 3
Artec - 3
Zinwell -2
Sunkey - 1
Sansonic - 1

Worst
Apex 250 - 7
DTVPal - 5
Magnavox - 4
Zenith 900 / Insignia - 3
Sunkey -2
Access - 2
GE - 2
Digital Stream - 2
Philco - 1
Channel Master -1
Tivax - 1

Am I too late to vote and I don't remember if I voted yet. I vote worst for DTVPal since I own one and it is buggy and loves to lock up (have to use daily schedule workaround). Ugh! I am surprised Zenith 901 / Insignia APT is still good today. My parents use it. I'm glad I checked with you guys for feedbacks a few years ago. Now, if they could just make an awesome scheduler for VCRs...
post #532 of 541 Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

I checked and I don't believe you voted, so your vote has now been included.

Thanks.
post #533 of 541 Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 AM

I would say that iNet Access SSR 1921-Tivax clone is as good as any box can be, unfortunately CC letters are too small.
The second box the newest model COSHIP APT is good. the largest CC letters from all boxes, larger than Sony20 TV CC, make it see thru- trasparent, colored etc. super, only problem is must go to Menu to access the Service-for CC, iNet/Tivax has it on Remote.
'cause the box consume 12W (rather than deficient 8WEnergy Star of iNet/Tivax) it has ability to pick more channels from air; main switch off/on like TV,DVD,VCR in the back is great
and of course as any other boxes the CC letters are locked on screen while you are already at other channel and only the CC fron next ch. pushes it away or go to TV CC.
Unfortunately the Remote stinks, seems to be deceptively too slow, sometimes INFO shuts off the box.
Even so, I would vote -1- Coship APT gives more ch.s than the -2- iNET/Tivax.
post #534 of 541 Old 01-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

My cousin could not get 19.1 WPCW in Jeannette, PA 15644 with a CM7000 Channel Master. With a Digital Stream from Radio Shack, she was able.

I have the same problem with my CM but I live around some hills. I have a NIB DDT901 Zenith and am wondering if I should open it up to see if it gets it. (It was for sale but I really need a couple HDTV tuners.) I have the identical RCA 1250 High Power amplified set top antenna my cousin has.
post #535 of 541 Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The DS I had was not nearly as good for reception as either my CMs or Zenith 901. That being said unless their is something wrong with your cousins CM I can't say why the DS should be working better.
AFA the differences between the CM and Zenith, I believe the CM is slightly better for low signal where as the Zenith as a slight edge for multipath situations.
If you're behind hills your problem could be either low signal or perhaps multipath. If I were you I'd crack the box on the Zenith, it just might have an edge for you.
post #536 of 541 Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Liked: 15
I have 2 of the Zenith DTT-901 boxes and they have fantastic tuners. Look around here and I think you will find many who agree. They work better than the tuners in my Sony LCD and Insignia plasma. Only my AOC LED-LCD matches them for tuner quality, go figure.
post #537 of 541 Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

jjeff,

My cousin could not get 19.1 even with my CM7000. So both CM failed to get it.

However, someone who posted another thread I authored suggested that the CM may not find 19.1 (actual 11) when 11.1 (actual 48) is already programed.

I'm going to try to delete 11.1 and see if it will find 19.1 and will post.

Thanks
Tom
post #538 of 541 Old 01-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

I have 2 of the Zenith DTT-901 boxes and they have fantastic tuners. Look around here and I think you will find many who agree. They work better than the tuners in my Sony LCD and Insignia plasma. Only my AOC LED-LCD matches them for tuner quality, go figure.

In the < NY- OTA > p.454 some posters mention about the Zenith boxes, using LG Electronics tuners, singining acolades.
Personally, I don't think there is much difference between the LG and Thompson or some future silicone tuner,
but it makes sense that conv.boxes give good perfrormance, the larger the DTV box is more impediment higher Ohmage to travelling electronic signal in TV than in small conv. box, resulting in loss of weak station signal, right ?
post #539 of 541 Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AloEuro View Post

Personally, I don't think there is much difference between the LG and Thompson or some future silicone tuner,
but it makes sense that conv.boxes give good perfrormance, the larger the DTV box is more impediment higher Ohmage to travelling electronic signal in TV than in small conv. box, resulting in loss of weak station signal, right ?

Nope, those distances are insignificant. Assuming the transmission lines, impedance matching circuits, and other circuits like RF switches are done properly then the tuner IC or module is the key component. For instance, the DTV Pal was upgraded with a Microtune IC tuner in the DTV Pal Plus to alleviate reception problems. Also, some boxes will have different performance for sensitivity vs multipath fading (obstructions, etc.), etc. which is why you'll sometimes see folks saying a certain box works better than another box vs someone in another location.

post #540 of 541 Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 AM

I always had good results with Digitalstream boxes.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page