What CECB is the best? And worst. Vote here. Updated tally 7/24/10 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 541 Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddnhead View Post

Well, perhaps this means nothing, but for my local OTA HDTV, my Polariod FLM-3737 tv set's tuner has at least a day's guide info for each channel/subchannel or PBS, NBC, ABC, and some other networks ... but two are conspicuous for having nothing: Fox and CBS.

I would find it real odd if it was CBS station that transmitted the program data, but then had data for nearly every channel but their own

Your set's likely using the standard PSIP guide data, not TV Guide on Screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 541 Old 05-21-2008, 05:57 AM

Liked: 10
Best in my book is tied:

DTX9900 - CECB remote will also turn TV on/off, change TV inputs, and TV volume up/down.

Tivax - 9 pin serial port!
post #33 of 541 Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Updated Tally:

Best
Zenith / Insignia - 10
Digital Stream - 2
Tivax - 1

Worst
Magnavox - 1
Digital Stream - 1

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #34 of 541 Old 05-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Maxmedia box is the worst, as Most Overhyped Vaporware.

I don't think there is one best; it depends on your priorities. For me, the CM7000 is the best because I want S-video. For others, analog passthru is a must have, or a 7-day EPG (though I think they'll be disappointed when they find their local stations only put out a few hours. Yes, I know 12 is the minimum, but some stations in the Philadelphia market (WPVI, WCAU) haven't been doing it). No one box has all these features.

I'll be getting a CM7000 (for my S-video TV) and an April-or-later DTT900 (for another TV)
post #35 of 541 Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

For others, analog passthru is a must have, or a 7-day EPG (though I think they'll be disappointed when they find their local stations only put out a few hours.

Not if it's TVGOS. Then you will definitely get the full 7 days.
post #36 of 541 Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

I vote the DTVPal - As the most user based hype
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

I was recently asked if I could post a link to a official site that shows the DTVPal/TR40 is somehow related to the TVGuide.
I can NOT find any official site that is DTVPal/TR40 and TVGuide are related

It looks like the TVGuide EPG hype was created by potential buyers
- Look at the first page of the TR40 thread and you can see the TVGuide idea has been here for quite some time -....

I guess in a way it was a good thing I had started this TVGuide vs PSIP because we must have all been thinking the DTVPal was using the TVGuide.
post #37 of 541 Old 05-24-2008, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just said "if". Nobody knows for sure yet, but if they are promising 7-days worth, then I doubt if it's the standard PSIP guide. Unless they're flat-out lying.

I think that one of the things that may have started the "hype" (as you call it) is that there have been reports that it will receive the digital TVGOS signal and convert it to analog so our older TVGOS units can still be fully functional. The digital TVGOS is supposed to come in over the closed captioning line, and that's supposed to be passed through.

This hasn't been talked about over here so much, because most of the people over here that are interested in the box don't want it for that reason - they're by and large not the type of people that own the sometimes costly recorders of the past that have the TVGOS feature. But it's been talked about in length over in the Hardware and DVD Recorder threads since word of the box first came out. Actually even long before, because we've been waiting for word of such a box or device since the definite analog OTA cutoff date was announced. Some people there have even inquired to the Echostar and TVGOS people about it and have gotten the answer that it will do the above.
post #38 of 541 Old 05-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

The Goodmind and GE also are supporting up to 7-days worth with in the Full guide
I don't know about the Simple guide (these boxes have two EPG modes)

I don't think anyone using the GE or Goodmind get all 7-days worth of PSIP data
unless the stations transmit that much data.

bdfox18doe said they send 48 hours of data.

I would also think that DTVPal.com would be listing using the TVGuide EPG as a feature.

You would also think that they would be listing the ability receive the digital TVGOS signal and convert it to analog so out older TVGOS units can still be fully functional.

This might just be plans for the TR50, have you seen CNET's Video of the TR50, they do mention EchoStar using the TVGuide.
post #39 of 541 Old 05-25-2008, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would tend to agree about the part about listing that it had TVGOS if it had it. But not necessarily the part about the conversion thing.

I didn't think about those other, supposed "7-day" boxes. But those are definitely stretching the truth. I sure hope the DTVPal won't be like that. Maybe the stations have plans to finally step up the service on their PSIP data, and the makers of those boxes know something the general public doesn't yet. Still, even a nicer designed PSIP guide such as the one in the Samsung DTB-H260F, along with the ability to program through it like said guide (even though it's nowhere as reliable as TVGOS), is better than nothing and certainly better than any of the other boxes.

Like I said - if. There's been nothing definite said, and I don't try to make it sound like there has, although maybe some people have let their wishful thinking get the best of them around here. Wouldn't be the first time. If you took all the speculation-based drivel out of this forum, it wouldn't even have half of the amount of threads and posts.
post #40 of 541 Old 05-25-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

. If you took all the speculation-based drivel out of this forum, it wouldn't even have half of the amount of threads and posts.

And, might even be more useful for those in search of answers who are willing to read before typing.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #41 of 541 Old 05-25-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I don't know about the Simple guide (these boxes have two EPG modes)

Bear in mind, whether TvGuide or PSIP, it's nothing but data.. the "richness" of the guide that the viewer sees is based on the design of how the receiver presents the data. I have seen some PSIP based guides that come pretty close to TVGOS.

I'd venture that the first of these boxes that has the "richest" guide will become one of the most popular. I have my DTVPal's on order, so we'll see.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #42 of 541 Old 05-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

I too have seen some PSIP guides that look close to the TVGuide

I would also venture that none of these CECBs will have one as they are all not in the same league as a HD Converter where you have seen these rich PSIP guides.

If the DTVPal does have the "richest" guide I hope they have given it enough memory and cpu to back it up.

Why do you think the Zenith/Insignia choose to use a SIMPLE Now/Next?

I am thinking to save the precious cpu and memory for the boxes primary function the decoding of the ATSC signal not the display of a "rich" guide.

We all know both the Digital Stream and Artec Pro are also based on LG like the Zenith/Insignia and may be loosing in these sensitivity battles because they choose to use a richer guide then Zenith/Insignia.

You bdfox18doe as well as satpro should know better than the rest of us if my idea holds any watter as you both have test so many CECBs you should have found a correlation between the guide and sensitivity if it exists.
post #43 of 541 Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Of the few that are available in local stores, I purchased these to try out:

-Radio Shack Digital Stream DTX9900, $59.99 before coupon.

-Best Buy's branded Insignia NS-DXA1 (same as Zenith DTT900 sold by Circuit City), $59.99 before coupon.

-Channel Master CM-7000 from Fry's, $79.99 before coupon!!

I didn't even bother with the known cheap $49.99 and known no good RCA and Magnavox boxes sold at WalMart. Won't shop there anyway for personal reasons.

In my opinion, so far, the Radio Shack Digital Stream is the best.
I like the larger remote, more ergonomic, controls TV power, video source and volume also. The EPG is more extensive too, shows current and several hours ahead.

The Insignia/Zenith remote is too small & uses only one AAA battery.

The Channel Master from Fry's was promising looking, nice metal case, S-Video output, but too expensive ($79.99 before coupon) and won't control TV power & volume. Very disappointing, expected better from Channel Master.

All seem to have equal picture quality to me using a CM 4228 8 bay UHF antenna with rotor.

I wish that the Digital Stream D2A1D10 was sold somewhere as it has an S-video output, but it seems non-existent so far.

I would be interested if anyone has tried the Digital Stream DSP-7500T or DSP-7700T?
post #44 of 541 Old 05-27-2008, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The next time someone does an update with the votes, could you also summarize the prices of the boxes? I haven't read all of the FAQs, but I think some will be 'free' after the coupon, some not. Even if it is "only" $10 more than that for a certain box, I would weigh how important a certain feature was to me.

thanks.
post #45 of 541 Old 05-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think prices of the boxes need to be added as they can very greatly from retailer to retailer for the same CECB.

You also don't need to read to far into the Sticky of FAQ's to find prices.
There is no "FREE" after coupon - there is always sales tax and/or shipping

Second post in the Sticky of FAQ's by zhenerale lists prices that he maintains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenerale View Post

My post is merely a summary of the available CECBs with one reference
(may not be the best informative or most comprehensive thread).
Please do your own homework on best vendors/prices. Start here: mydtv2009.gov -VendorSearch

Third post in the Sticky of FAQ's also by zhenerale redirects you to my old post where I redirect you to my current thread.
Quote:

My post has more than one retailer listed and also provides a list of Electron Program Guides
~ = Local and you need to add sales tax

Both zhenerale and I have said that we will discontinue updating at some point.
You can also do a search for prices within this HDTV Technical SubForum.
post #46 of 541 Old 05-28-2008, 02:43 PM

I bought Tivax STB-9 and Artec T3APro from Digital Star ($10 total after coupons), local pickup. Like Tivax little better (Picture Quality) but Artec is passable as well.
post #47 of 541 Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

How could I ever decide, they are all so imperfect in so many different ways.

Best Sensitivity, Worst Ventilation, Funia Magnavox/Philco/Sylvania

Best User Interface, Worst at Remembering Aspect Ratio Setting, Tivax

Best Remote Compatibility, Worst Looking Video Levels, RCA

Best At Annoying Audio, Worst At Preventing The Audio Q.C. Problem, any LG chip box Zenith/Insignia/Artec

I love them and hate them all, how could I ever decide which to bother with!

Probably tivax since it turns back on and goes to the previously tuned channel after power loss. All the other boxes I have tried go back to standby and are worthless in such a situation.

Everyone is quick to dismiss the Magnavox TB100MW9, but its the only one I have now and plan to compare others soon. You said it has the best sensitivity and I also seen another poster here say it picked up better than the DS, which most say is equal to the zenith..
This makes sense since many(depending on date) Z's and DS's have the same tuner inside( Sanyo UBA00AL) The magnavox has sanyo's UB010AF - Questions:

What made you say the Mag has better sensitivity?

Which of these Sanyo tuners is newer/better?
post #48 of 541 Old 06-02-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think the Digital Stream was the winner because it's pulls weak stations in very well and great for TV DXing!

I am using Silver Sensor indoor antenna and the neat thing about it, Digital Stream manages to pull in 2 weak VHF digital stations, here in Albuquerque TV market, one is KNMD-DT channel 9 "PBS" running only 200 watts ERP at Sandia Crest Mountain which is only 5 + or - miles from here . The signal strength was in the upper 40 to low 50 percent!

The second VHF station, is KCHF-DT channel 10 "Church station" is running at 30 KW ERP and I was barely able to lock it in with some picture break up and it's 45 miles from here, and the signal strenth was in the low 40 to 45 percent. Their transmitter is located near Los Alamos just south of that small town.

I plan to upgrade to outdoor antenna on my new townhouse when I move and go extreme TV DXing!!

The other digtal reciever is H-20 Directv can't pick up two VHF stations and the Digital Stream beats the pants down and will be used for DXing and the back up box just in case my H-20 reciever fails.

6-2-08

"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper...
post #49 of 541 Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

Best in my book is tied:

DTX9900 - CECB remote will also turn TV on/off, change TV inputs, and TV volume up/down.

Just starting to shop for my boxes. What can the 9-pin serial port be used for? Thanks.
post #50 of 541 Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

Best in my book is tied:

What can you do with the serial port on this box?
post #51 of 541 Old 06-06-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just picked up a couple of Zenith DTT900 boxes from Circuit City using my $40 coupons. I'm very impressed! Very simple setup and extremely sensitive/robust tuner. The tuner picks up ALL of my local Seattle stations and performs much better than my DirecTV/Tivo and DVR OTA tuners. The onscreen guide is nice, too. Highly recommended!
post #52 of 541 Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

What can you do with the serial port on this box?

The serial port on ALL the boxes are for software updates. I beta tested a few of the boxes and we had quite a few software updates before the vendors got it right. I'm kind of surprised that the production models still have a serial ports because I doubt that any vendors will be supplying software updates for their boxes.

Bill R
post #53 of 541 Old 06-14-2008, 11:04 PM

Could you explain the benefit of the timers? Please let us know what you think of the Echostar. Is this the "40"? One site says the Echostar is especially good for VCR/DVDR if you want one box for those and another box for TV. If you get the Echostar perhaps you could comment on this.
post #54 of 541 Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The benefit of timers is unattended recording. When you want to record, the CECB has to be on and tuned to the right channel. You could accomplish that by leaving your CECB on and on the right channel, but if you wanted to record a second program on a different channel, you'd have to be there to change channels. Timers take care of the CECB part of recording. Unless you have a g-link connection, you would program the CECB and the recording device separately, so it's twice the usual work, but at least there's a solution.

Sling Community articles said the TR-40 was renamed DTVPal, but Dish Network now says it is not, that they are different boxes and the $40 box will come later after government approval. That craziness has not been sorted out yet.
post #55 of 541 Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM

I have purchased 2 converters, one for the performance and one for the value. Obviously, one is far better than the other one.

Best: Zenith DTT900
Worse: Philco (very poor remote control and slow performance)
post #56 of 541 Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 PM

Not that I really know anything different, but my vote is for Zenith DTT900.
post #57 of 541 Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Updated Tally

Best
Zenith / Insignia - 13
Digital Stream - 3
Tivax - 2
Channel Master - 2

Worst
Magnavox - 1
Digital Stream - 1
Philco - 1

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #58 of 541 Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 PM

I consider the DS 9950 to be the best because of its overall balance of performance, quality, remote functionality and price although I think its overpriced because its the RS version.

The DS equilivant will probably be considerably cheaper when it becomes available. Coupon expiration dates you know!
post #59 of 541 Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Updated Tally

Best
Zenith / Integra - 13
Digital Stream - 3
Tivax - 2
Channel Master - 2

Worst
Magnavox - 1
Digital Stream - 1
Philco - 1

Best to worst based on my experience.
RCA. I have helped 8 people with this one. They all agree. (Is this 8 votes?) Locks in one more station. Great remote. It has the code for all TVs so far. The now/next EPG is OK for all. I want a previous/recall button.
Magnavox. I did not like it. My hair stylist loves it. Good EPG
Insignia. I hated it. Then sold it to a widow. She now wants me to buy it back. LOL

Bob 61231

Bob 61231
post #60 of 541 Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Updated Tally
Zenith / Integra - 13

Ken, it's Insignia BTW. Unless, Honda is making CECBs now...
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page