What CECB is the best? And worst. Vote here. Updated tally 7/24/10 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 541 Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
S-video provides about 1.5 times more horizontal pixels to the screen. 440 for composite and 670 for S-video (edge-to-edge).

BEST: CM-7000, Zenith DTT900 (4 channels with rabbit ears). ----- POOR: DTVpal (1 channel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 541 Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 AM
m_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

And people are switching to satellite every day from cable.

For us, there's no other option. The cable stops several miles from where we live. No DSL either -- this is Modem Country (ack splarft sputter!)

Quote:

Very good review. I'm really surprised about the difference on that type of TV.

Thanks. It's a decent performer -- with a good DVD playing through the S-Video port, there is more detail on screen than I can see unless I move in closer than normal viewing distance. IMO, based on my experience with this set (and "real HT TV" that I've "seen in stores") there really isn't much of a benefit to higher resolution (other than aspect ratio which strictly speaking is not a function of "HD") unless you have a *really* BIG screen. With "normal-large" size displays, what's the benefit to having more definition on-screen than you can see unless you're sitting at it? It's not a computer monitor, after all. At normal viewing distance, having more resolution than you can see is a benefit exactly how?

Quote:

I'm confused about this observation. Are you just comapring the two inputs to the TV? Or are you comparing this box with your satellite service picture?

I set it up so that the DTV satellite receiver is feeding into the TV via S-Video AND Composite inputs. I then click "channel-up"/"channel-down" to shuttle back and forth between the two feeds of the same signal (the text display of the channel listing is a good demonstration of Composite artifacts (scuzzed-up borders on the text etc.) -- and, the nice, clean display with S-Video.

Quote:

BTW, what town do you live in?

Out in the boonies in rural Oceana Cty.
post #93 of 541 Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

S-video provides about 1.5 times more horizontal pixels to the screen. 440 for composite and 670 for S-video.

Just where did that come from? Both have the same bandwidth, S video just separates the Y and C channels. If the circuity in the TV is sub par, the benefit will be greater using S video. Better sets with better comb filters won't gain much using a S video input. Cheaper comb filters, or no comb filter at all will show the greatest improvement. When S video first came out 15 or so years gao, I looked at enough sets both ways and the difference varied with the set. My old RPTV gained alot using S video. On other newer sets, there was very little difference because of improved comb filters they used.
Quote:

there really isn't much of a benefit to higher resolution

Wow! That's a risky statement in these forums. I would venture to say 95%+ here would strongly disagree except for screen sizes smaller than say 26", but then that's way to small except for a small bedroom or kitchen anyway.
Quote:

For us, there's no other option.

You can always move. Oceana as in Michigan? How far from the lake are you?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #94 of 541 Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

m_k; At 75 miles away across the lake, I can't see how you couldn't pick up Milwaukee;

http://www.2150.com/broadcast/defaul...=Show+Stations

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #95 of 541 Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 PM

Actually VideoBruce, Roger is correct

Quote:
"In composite video, the luminance signal is low-pass filtered to prevent crosstalk between high-frequency luminance information and the color subcarrier. S-Video, however, separates the two, so low-pass filtering is not necessary. This increases bandwidth for the luminance information, and also subdues the color crosstalk problem."

And I also have a relic Wally-World curved glass 32" that channel 0 is baseband composite and channel 1 is s-video. the difference on a CM-7000 is dramatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...omposite-video
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/S_Video

James Clerk Maxwell spins in his grave,
not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #96 of 541 Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Better sets with better comb filters won't gain much using a S video input. Cheaper comb filters, or no comb filter at all will show the greatest improvement.

I thought all analog color TV's utilize a comb filter???? Just curious if I've been wrong all these years. Also; wasn't VSM introduced to mask dot crawl and artificially liven up the picture?

Thanks
post #97 of 541 Old 07-18-2008, 09:29 PM

Better comb filters in the TV or not,
if you feed the TV with a compromised signal that has had It's top end chopped off by a low pass filter it will contain less detail. Composite Baseband by nature just has less detail.

Even the best comb filter in a TV will not replace what needed to be cut from the Composite Baseband signal.

It's just common sense...

SAW (Surface Acoustic Wave) delay lines used in TV's as comb filters do come in good/better/best layouts. There is a lot of sales jargon that gets applied sadly. But the phrase "Multi-Line" comb filter leans towards being better if the statement is even true in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_crawl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb_filter

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #98 of 541 Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 PM

I'm curious,

I have read a post or two that the DTT-900/901 seemed fairly sensitive too compared to the CM-7000.

Are there other CECB's out there that have been reasonably similar in reception sensitivity?

I mean, features aside. If a CECB can't get the stations...what good are features?

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #99 of 541 Old 07-18-2008, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I changed my vote,

I voting CM-7000.

Runners up

Zenith 900/901
Apex 250

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #100 of 541 Old 07-19-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

WeThePeople; All that stuff looks good on paper, but in reality, there really isn't much difference between the two regarding frequency response.
I have passed multiburst through both and the difference in response was very little. Small enough it wouldn't be noticeable except with a test pattern and only on a higher end consumer TV or studio monitor.

Now with cheaper sets, those separation circuits might make a larger difference that one might see.

In S-VHS Pro editing, there was a even better signal path that used either a 5 or 7 pin connector (forgot the name). But, that difference was even less and wasn't very popular.

post #101 of 541 Old 07-19-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

wasn't VSM introduced to mask dot crawl and artificially liven up the picture?

Haven't seen that term in awhile. I thought that had to do with edge enhancement. It speed up the transistions betwween black and white come to think of it.
But, it also increased the cartoon effect (outlines) with overshoot and undershoot.

post #102 of 541 Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 AM

Yeah I remember that connector too...

Well I think your blessed with being surrounded by good equipment. I've never seen a situation where the S-Video wasn't quite obviously better in picture quality. And I was always thankful when that first pinstriped suit or diagonal lined tie came along.

I've tried my CM-7000 into a Hi-8, a DVDRW, and of course my Wally-World TV. All three showed marked improvement in ability to read text and so forth on my screen.

I even tried the S-Video outs on the DVDRW and Hi-8 verses the Baseband Composite from them and the same held true. You've got me scratching my head on that one.

I do agree a lot of stuff looks good on paper that doesn't pan-out in the field though...

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #103 of 541 Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 PM

I already tested the Zenith DTT900 versus Dish DTVpal. Although both received 4 stations, the DTVpal had lots of macroblocking on the weak channels so there was effectively only 1 watchable station. 4 stations versus only 1.

Here are my results with Zenith DTT900 versus the Channel Master CM7000:

- Rabbit Ears = 4 stations versus 5 stations.

- CM4228 = 8 stations versus 13 stations.

- Amplified settop antenna = Same number of stations on both boxes (5), but the Zenith experienced breakups, whereas the CM7000 was a solid 99-100 the whole time. No freezing or macroblocking.

IMHO the CM7000 is the better box, with the ability to display stations as low as 10 on the strength bar. At 10 the picture sometimes "smears" like a water-color painting, but at 20 it looks near-perfect. I was able to watch an entire episode of Cold Case from Philadelphia 50 miles away and it hovered between 15-40 on the strength bar. It appears the CM7000 has better error-correction.
Quote:

Just where did that come from? Both have the same bandwidth, S video just separates the Y and C channels.

Yes true, but the Chroma is laid-over-top of the Luma, and most televisions simply "cut-off" the luma at 4 megahertz, thereby bandlimiting the maximum resolution to 320-330 horizontal per picture height. Anything above 4 megahertz is directed to the chroma decoding circuitry.

More expensive televisions with COMB filters can boost the resolution higher, but even they have limits to how much Luma they can "pull out" of the Chroma section of the band. The better solution is to simply leave the Choma and Luma separate to get the maximum resolution. (ALSO: Please note I used the word "about" in my statements, in order to provide for variance between sets.)

That said:

In real-world testing, the CM-7000 menu was difficult to read with Composite, but just as crystal clear as a VGA monitor after I switched to S-video.
post #104 of 541 Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Best = Zenith DTT901/Insignia NS-DXA1-APT
Worst = Apex DT250 (zoom doesn't work, overscan, slow, horrible menus and channel guide, interference on analog pass-through)
post #105 of 541 Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

I thought all analog color TV's utilize a comb filter????

Mine doesn't. The CM7000 displays rainbow colored text instead of thewhite it's supposed to be, but Svideo returns the text to white again.

See http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...VsRGB_Text.png
post #106 of 541 Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 AM

That's a faily nice read.

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #107 of 541 Old 07-23-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:

"I thought all analog color TV's utilize a comb filter????" ----- Yes, I did some research, and it is true.

Nope. Read further:

"TV Set Without a Comb Filter"

"The cheapest solution is to use simple filters (notch, low pass, bandpass filters) that pass only the coarse and medium horizontal detail (lower 3 MHz or so) to the luminance circuits and pass the bulk of the color information still commingled with the fine luminance detail (3 to 4.2 MHz) to the color circuits...... This filtering limits horizontal resolution to about 260 lines."

My old 80s set's like that.
No comb filter.
post #108 of 541 Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There was no such thing in the 60's and I don't think the 70's saw any except for maybe broadcast.

post #109 of 541 Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

No. Read further:

"TV Set Without a Comb Filter"

"The cheapest solution is to use simple filters (notch, low pass, bandpass filters) that pass only the coarse and medium horizontal detail (lower 3 MHz or so) to the luminance circuits and pass the bulk of the color information still commingled with the fine luminance detail (3 to 4.2 MHz) to the color circuits...... This filtering limits horizontal resolution to about 260 lines."

My old 80s set's like that.

I said that all analog color TV's have "some kind" of Y/C separator filter.(Sorry for any confusion) Hopefully we are all in agreement that the S-Video can make a very noticable difference on most good CRT's.
post #110 of 541 Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:

I thought all analog color TV's utilize a comb filter????

Nope. :-)
post #111 of 541 Old 07-28-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieBrown View Post

For one the worst I would suggest the Digital Stream. It is lacking features, gives a not so perfect picture and costs $70.

$70.00? Yikes. Last time I looked at the RS here, which was probably about 3 weeks ago, they were only asking $49.99 for it.
post #112 of 541 Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

$70.00? Yikes. Last time I looked at the RS here, which was probably about 3 weeks ago, they were only asking $49.99 for it.

$59.99 @ R.S. Houston Texas & Online (+ $5.99 one year in store replacement policy)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3150939

Quote From WebPage:
"Please note: Coupon can only be used in-store or through the toll-free number. Coupon cannot be redeemed on RadioShack.com."

While at the store though, they can have it shipped right to your door for no additional charge. So if they don't have it, you can still use the coupon, pay the diff., and it will ship free. Don't forget the $5.99 one year in store swap plan though...

Note: I have been worked with a supervisor at the distribution center in Fort Worth Texas. Two full trucks of Zenith DTT-901's (15-193) with pass-through just went out to stores Wed 07-16-08. I had one with my name on it shipped to my local store to replace a Digital Stream DTX-9950 that went up in smoke... Sigh...

So if your 9950 doesn't quite work out, talk to the store manager about a swap to a Zenith DTT-901 if you want. They ARE allowed to swap out for these within 90 days. (My one year in store swap plan will be retained as well...)

Edit: Mines sitting in the store until I can get to it on the 4th of next month...
Edit#2: Just got my R.S. salepaper...all antenna's (In&Out) 25% off while buying the CECB box.

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #113 of 541 Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 AM

Zenith DTT901 = the best.

DTVPal = POS. The stupid units (2 of them) keep on losing signal and keep on downloading the guide over and over again everytime I turn it on.
post #114 of 541 Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Now I have something to compare, my rank order is:

1. Zenith DTT901 - I like overall ease of use and direct channel entry features, bigger cc and info fonts, aspect ratio by channel settings, cool running, rarely get interrupted pic. Although it's only now/next, I like being able to stay tuned to the current channel.

2. CM 7000 - Great picture detail, but pixelation with motion or camera zoom, and flashing or solid white lines at top and bottom of windowpane are negatives. I need it for the S-Vid (touchy RCA vid input) and like the longer EPG.

Both get the same primary channels, but Zenith picks up an extra station in opposite direction. Main towers 15 miles away, 1 edge, multipath, amplified indoor antenna (Terk) in attic.
post #115 of 541 Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM

Is there anything on the horizon that both (a) has a sensitive tuner that can lock on lower signals, (b) has a longer EPG and (c) has analog pass-through? The DTT901 seems pretty good on (a) and (c) but has a lousy program guide. The DTVPal has a good program guide and analog pass through but I've heard many reports that it's buggy and tuner reception is questionable.

I'm wondering if the CM7000 might be a better tradeoff as it has all of these to some degree plus S-video.
post #116 of 541 Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM

Any more news on any DVRs with digital to analog? Wasn't one of the satellite companies supposed to be making one?
post #117 of 541 Old 07-29-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Is there anything on the horizon that both (a) has a sensitive tuner that can lock on lower signals, (b) has a longer EPG and (c) has analog pass-through? The DTT901 seems pretty good on (a) and (c) but has a lousy program guide. The DTVPal has a good program guide and analog pass through but I've heard many reports that it's buggy and tuner reception is questionable.

I'm wondering if the CM7000 might be a better tradeoff as it has all of these to some degree plus S-video.

no analog pass through with CM7000.
post #118 of 541 Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Digital Stream DTX9950. I bought one full price to try it. Ziggy: A. The tuner equal to Magnavox & RCA. No better, no worse. B. EPG goes out 12 hours. C. It has better pass through than the DTA800b1. I now am recommending the DTX9950 even though some posters have reported problems. I like the remote.
I had been recommending the RCA DTA800b mostly because people do like the remote control. Some do not like the RCA because the channel # display is too small on a smaller TV. I had to return an RCA to Walmart because complaint of "popping" sound. I tried it on my TV. It seemed OK, but I returned it anyway.

Bob 61231
post #119 of 541 Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 PM

I live in an urban area where signal strength is not a problem, but reflections off of 5-story buildings certainly is. Does anyone have experience as to which box handles this the best?
post #120 of 541 Old 08-12-2008, 03:43 AM

Probably the Channel Master. The Zenith DTT900 (no passthru) is also an excellent choice. Best way to find out is to buy both & see which works better in your situation.

Of course if multipath is a problem, perhaps what you really need is a highly-directional antenna which will ignore all other signals except the one directly in front of it.

A final alternative is to just buy cable - $15 a month for locals-only service.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page