What CECB is the best? And worst. Vote here. Updated tally 7/24/10 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 541 Old 09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastwienerdog View Post

The CM7000 Warranty is 90 Days, That is a feature I don't like.
Dtt901 has 12/3 warranty.
I have till the end of the year to make a decision on what one to buy.
I already see I won't be getting all the features I wanted.
I wanted:
Enhanced Program Guide (7 days give or take)
Dolby Digital
Universal Remote Control
S-Video Output (but not a must have.)

None of these can legally have a Dolby Digital 5.1 optical or coaxial output and be eligible for the coupon program. All CECB's can decode Dolby 5.1 and downmix it to analog stereo.

The Echostar TR-40 CRA (not the original TR-40 / DTVPal) fixes some of the problems from the original TR-40, and seems to be the best choice for you. I'm not sure what the warrannty period is, or if it has a universal remote, but it by far has the best program guide of the coupon boxes. Wait for supply of it to increase, and make sure to double-check the expiration dates of your coupon(s). Make sure to start to attempt a purchase no later than two weeks before expiry to ensure time doesn't run out (due to low supply).

EDIT: You can purchase the CRA directly from Dish Network. Ordering later on guarantees the latest firmware (for best performance).

http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/tr40CRA.shtml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 541 Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 PM

The Digital Stream DTX 9950 is far superior. I have a Zenith 901 and it is garbage. Anybody want to buy that piece of crap? Looks horrible and sounds bad.
post #183 of 541 Old 09-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbike-dude View Post

I have a Zenith 901 and it is garbage. ... Looks horrible and sounds bad.

Then I suspect you have a defective unit or there's some other explanation. It's long been established that the Zenith DTT901 is one of the best boxes when it comes to picture and sound quality. I have one connected as a front-end to my TiVo and its quality is superb.
post #184 of 541 Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Amongst the two that I own, Magnavox and the Zenith, the Magnavox worked fine, but I prefer the Zenith, just due to the fact that I could never program the Magnavox into my universal remote, and the Zenith was easily programmed in, so now I'm back to using one remote! I can't comment on what I don't have, so I'll leave it at that. Now I just have to figure out how to connect a TV, CECB and DVD player without constantly unplugging the video outs on two devices!
post #185 of 541 Old 09-21-2008, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

The Digital Stream DTX 9950 is far superior. I have a Zenith 901 and it is garbage.

I own one of each and their performance is roughly equal.  A few things about the DTX9950 rub me the wrong way, so I prefer the DTT901, but not over any differences in sound or picture quality or, at least at my location, reception.
post #186 of 541 Old 09-22-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquelyme View Post

It's long been established that the Zenith DTT901 is one of the best boxes when it comes to picture and sound quality.

Sorry, I own both and use both. I don't follow the sheep I make decisions based on my own personal experiences. The Digital Stream DTX9950 is far superior in picture quality to the Zenith DTT901 (with a July 08 build date) so that hasn't been that long. I was expecting the DTT901 to look better but my first initial reaction when I turned it on was I wasted my coupon on this! I'm going to buy the Channel master one since the remote will also control the rotor and I expect the PQ to be even better then the DS with the s-video out. I guess the guy at Radio Shack that sold me the DS when he said they don't carry the DTT901 anymore because of all the returns and problems with the unit.
post #187 of 541 Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I guess the guy at Radio Shack that sold me the DS when he said they don't carry the DTT901 anymore because of all the returns and problems with the unit.

There was an audio 'chirping' problem in the pre-April Zenith boxes. All fixed over six months ago.
post #188 of 541 Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

There was an audio 'chirping' problem in the pre-April Zenith boxes. All fixed over six months ago.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that. They still have a bunch of the April boxes on the shelf at CC. Shouldn't they take them off the shelf?
post #189 of 541 Old 09-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, didn't know that. They still have a bunch of the April boxes on the shelf at CC. Shouldn't they take them off the shelf?

Pre-April boxes were the ones with the problem ie, March boxes.
post #190 of 541 Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't follow the sheep I make decisions based on my own personal experiences.

So everyone whose experience is in the majority is a sheep and a follower?

Just as you've truly seen what you say you've seen, each of us has truly seen what he or she says.
post #191 of 541 Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 AM

Both the Zenith and Channel Master are excellent boxes. I could recommend either one:

- The CM seems to handle noise better, and works better on rabbit ears (the Zenith has frequent dropouts). However the Zenith gets one extra station with my rooftop antenna.

- The CM's S-video provides better picture quality (like DVD) whereas the Zenith is slightly-blurred (like analog cable or VHS tape).

- The Zenith is easier-to-use.

- The CM has a better channel guide.

- The CM offers an extra/bonus "inbetween" mode that is neither 4:3 nor 16:9, but halfway in between. I personally prefer this mode as the best compromise between standard and widescreen broadcasts.
post #192 of 541 Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

- The CM offers an "inbetween" mode that is neither 4:3 nor 16:9, but halfway in between.

Is that the same as the 14:9 mode of the Digital Stream boxes?
post #193 of 541 Old 09-23-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I didn't actually pick a "worst", but at this point, I think it's safe to just go ahead and mark my choice as the DTVPal/TR-40.
post #194 of 541 Old 09-27-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Did a quick test this afternoon (between 14:10 and 14:45) and got the following results for my location and setup (all tested units are confirmed APT units):

*Ventura STB7766G ------- NOTE: Micro-Remote (kids would probably like it) - Gave to my wife's brother (in the city), since it would only receive 1 channel at my location. It works very well in Dundalk, MD, which is 13 miles from the Baltimore towers and 37 miles from the D.C. stations, using an exterior combo antenna located on top of a high pitched, two-strory roof.
RCA DTA800B1 ------------- 1:41 to find 4 channels - NOTE: Larged size remote buttons - This box acquired 23 channels at a friends house further West of me (who lives high above the valley terrain), with a di-pole cut to channel 35 and mounted 5' above his roof (not the peak).
*Digital Stream DTX9950 -- 2:37 to find 4 channels - NOTE: Medium sized remote - good layout
Zinwell ZAT-970A ---------- 2:48 to find 4 channels - NOTE: I love this remote - All production run units that are 0830 or less have a hidden expanded EPG (see ZAT-970A thread).
APEX DT250 ---------------- 9:27 to find 5 channels
*Insignia NS-DXA1-APT ---- 1:13 to find 6 channels - NOTE: Second worst remote I've used.
APEX DT502 ---------------- 2:26 to find 8 channels - NOTE: Has full capability EPG and a reminder function that can be used with recording devices.
Sunkey SK-801ATSC ------- 2:20 to find 10 channels - NOTE: Two are unviewable (WJLA & WUSA), even though it recognized they were there.

NEW:
*AccessHD DTA1080-D ----- 11:27 (Double Pass) to find 7 channels (would be 8 if WJAL was on the air). - NOTE: Very low audio on RF (especially) and RCA jacks. - I may have a defective unit, because this unit will not retain the channels when it gets turned "OFF" and requires a rescan when it's turned back "ON." I also have a horizontal line, like you would have on a bad tape in a VCR, that scrolls up when using the RF output as Analog Pass-Through (even if the unit has the power cord removed). It was a defective unit. There seems to be a memory defect that AccessHD knows about and has a running RMA for the particular production run. Mine was repaired without a problem. If you have one of these units, send only the CECB itself back using the RMA. You will not get the original retail box back. SPECIAL NOTE: They did not fix the audio issue, although they did fix the video issue I had.

* These units "Arrow" keys do not perform Channel/Volume control.

USEFUL LINKS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #195 of 541 Old 09-28-2008, 07:45 PM

I have two to compare, a Sunkey and an Insignia.

As some might know, I started a topic because the Sunkey just wouldn't work right. I tried it on three TVs, two older Sony's and a new LCD, and it wouldn't work correctly on the Sony's for whatever reason. Changed out the composite cable. antenna cable, and cable, and still neither TV worked. But tested on some other TVs, it worked, god knows why.

Finally gave up and bought an Insignia from Best Buy, and the difference is night and day, the GUI is MUCH better, and the unit's reception and picture/sound quality is adequate (I just wanted something to watch TV on, not an AV enthusiast by any means).

So Insignia - Best, Sunkey - Worst.
post #196 of 541 Old 09-29-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

APEX DT502 --------------- 2:26 to find 8 channels

I have one coupon left. Where can I buy an APEX tuner for as cheaply as possible?
post #197 of 541 Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM

I ordered a Zentech Eztv from ww.consumelecgroup.com. Great box, seven day guide, one year warranty, made in the USA. Also bought the Channel Master cm 7000 great box. Fast shipping too
post #198 of 541 Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deconvolver View Post

True, no TV power control on the CM7000 remote.

That's okay, because you need to keep the TV remote close-by so you can access the TV's volume control.
post #199 of 541 Old 09-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

That's okay, because you need to keep the TV remote close-by so you can access the TV's volume control.

Isn't that the truth! I have two shelves of remotes at arm's length - 2 VCRs, 2 CECBs, TV and A/B switch!!!
post #200 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 01:31 PM
GPM

Liked: 14
I bought the CM-7000 and the S-VHS makes it well worth the $$$ IMO, but its signal capture ratio is virtually nonexistent compared to the cheap Zenith or the RPTV's analog tuner. With either I can leave the rooftop antenna at one spot and get a good enough signal on all stations I'm interested in to at least add them to its list, but the CM will only find a good enough signal for three stations and none have particularly good PQ unless the antenna is rotated to optimize them. Even then, just the blowing of the trees around it turns the picture into either a pixelated mess and/or goes blank with a 'no signal' warning.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #201 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do any of the eligible converter boxes have component analog output?
post #202 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post

No.
post #203 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

No.

Component output would make the box ineligible for the coupon program, so the answer Rammitinski gave is not going to change in the future.
post #204 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, then which ones have S-Video out?

And why would having component analog video out disqualify them?
post #205 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Best: DTVPal. It has decent sensitivity and the best EPG of all the boxes.

Worst: Sunkey SK-801. Terrible GUI and sluggish CPU. Sensitivity is good though.
post #206 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

'Cause thems the NTIA's rules... Who knows why they decided that. I guess 480i over component was getting a little too close to HD for them...

As far as I know, only the Channel Master and Apex boxes have S-video out.
post #207 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The reasoning is included in the Final Rules:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frn...nalRule_2e.htm

The Final Rules are dated 3/27/2007

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #208 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The reasoning is included in the Final Rules:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frn...nalRule_2e.htm

The Final Rules are dated 3/27/2007

What a stupid argument from Funai! Component analog video permits carrying standard definition signals at 480i resolution. Barring HDMI makes more sense as it cannot carry 480i signals (in-spec).
post #209 of 541 Old 10-04-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What a stupid argument from Funai! Component analog video permits carrying standard definition signals at 480i resolution. Barring HDMI makes more sense as it cannot carry 480i signals (in-spec).

Are you confusing Funai and Final here?

The US Government Final Rules for CECB equipment are different from any design and manufacturing decisions made by Funai Corporation.

Dave
post #210 of 541 Old 10-05-2008, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

Are you confusing Funai and Final here? [...]

Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Rules View Post

"54. In its comments, Funai recommended that NTIA clarify the types of outputs that would not be permitted in a CECB. Funai commented that “we feel that it is inappropriate to extend Coupon Program eligibility to devices that support high-definition (HDTV) viewing, i.e., a display with higher-than-standard definition video resolution.”[ 98 ] Funai then listed a series of connectors which it felt should not be permitted in the NTIA supported converter box. Funai requested that the following connectors be excluded from the converter box program: Digital Video Interface (DVI), high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI), analog component video (YPbPr), computer video (VGA), as well as USB IEEE-1394 (sometimes trademarked as iLink or Firewire), or IEEE-802.3 (Ethernet) or IEEE-802.11 (wireless).[ 99 ] Funai further recommended that “any device that includes an integrated display intended for use as the primary video presentation should be ineligible for the Subsidy.”[ 100 ]"

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page