Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_signal View Post

doswonk1

How far are you from Des Moines? Nebraska Furniture Mart has the DTT901 IN STOCK for $47.99!!!!!!

http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.ASPX?...uctID=28612596

Huh. Go figure. The one place I didn't check because I figured they wouldn't deal in such a small, low-cost item. Already bought a 901 off eBay--for more than $47.99--though if you factor in the cost of gas for an 80-mile round trip to DSM, the price diff isn't quite so start. And the NFM website is confusing; if you drill down to the "Availability" tab, it appears to say the 901 is available only at the Omaha and Kansas City stores...... Oh well, I'm set now, so it's a moot point.

Thanks for the heads-up anyway, Smoke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 01:03 AM

doswonk1 - Now hope you don't need to upgrade your antenna system just to pickup the DTV stations on UHF. I got zero stations with a Radio Shack U-75R outdoor 75 mile range UHF antenna. Even after buying a Channel Master 7777 preamp, reception was only intermittent on a half dozen stations. I just received a Channel Master 4228 8-bay UHF antenna today. I can now receive all 9 DTV stations (16 channels total) from the nearest metro area (58 miles away), but only some of the stations some of the time with the antenna at ground level. Hopefully, I can mount the antenna somewhere where it will get all of the stations all of the time. Big deal... a $40.00 coupon. The government now owes me a heck of a lot more than that for the damn UHF antenna system!!!!!
post #363 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 02:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zqxthree View Post

Has anyone found what set of remote codes this CECB uses, so that they can program a brand X (in my case, Sony) remote control to control this CECB?

I think it uses an LG DirecTV satellite tuner code, to be specific (don't know if it's just a tuner or a DVR).
post #364 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_signal View Post

doswonk1 - Now hope you don't need to upgrade your antenna system just to pickup the DTV stations on UHF. I got zero stations with a Radio Shack U-75R outdoor 75 mile range UHF antenna. Even after buying a Channel Master 7777 preamp, reception was only intermittent on a half dozen stations. I just received a Channel Master 4228 8-bay UHF antenna today. I can now receive all 9 DTV stations (16 channels total) from the nearest metro area (58 miles away), but only some of the stations some of the time with the antenna at ground level. Hopefully, I can mount the antenna somewhere where it will get all of the stations all of the time. Big deal... a $40.00 coupon. The government now owes me a heck of a lot more than that for the damn UHF antenna system!!!!!

One thing to keep in mind is that many stations are broadcasting their digital signal at reduced power until February, so your reception may improve substantially by this time next year.
post #365 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

One thing to keep in mind is that many stations are broadcasting their digital signal at reduced power until February, so your reception may improve substantially by this time next year.

And about 30% will be switching frequencies then.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #366 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob View Post

Hey Gar: Can you tell us more about your comparison between the RCA & the Radio Shack boxes. I have been recommending the RCA box because of the easy to use remote. I'm thinking about trying the 901 to see if the remote is a good one. (Big buttons. Closed caption access.) These things are important to the elderly. An older lady told me today that she wished the channel number was bigger. She really does not care about the call sign or the program description. She wants it like the analog version.
Can you compare the boxes side by side?
Anyone? Anyone?

See my comparison in the RCA VS Zenith DTT900 forum. The Zenith remote definitely has smaller buttons. I think the RCA remote is better for someone who is older. What I don't like about the Zenith it it does not control the volume on the TV, just the box output. The RCA does not have a last channel button, but I've noticed most individuals looking for simplicity don't use that feature anyway. All of this is moot if there is no code for your existing TV.
post #367 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

And about 30% will be switching frequencies then.

Yes and you may not be through buying antennas, because many stations will go back to VHF.
post #368 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygeear View Post

Where do you live?? Have you tried special ordering it? Many members have reported CC will special order the 901 for you. I did with no problems. My coupons would have expired next week!

My zip code is 92404
I will stop at CC later today try to make special order. The last time I was there they didn't mention about it. My coupon will be expired on jul 10th

Thank you
post #369 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

I purchased a Zenith DTT901 at a Circuit City in Atlanta today (Buckhead location). They had a shelf full of them; nearly all of them were 901's with just one 900; nearly all of them were April builds with just two May builds. AFAIK nobody has reported (and confirmed) differential behavior between April and May builds, so either should be fine.

Looks to me like these are rolling out big time.

Update: I installed it at home, on a TV in the basement that just has rabbit ears, and it works great. My house is a bit down in a hollow and surrounded by trees. These receiver chips are so much better than before ...

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
post #370 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob View Post

Hey Gar: Can you tell us more about your comparison between the RCA & the Radio Shack boxes. I have been recommending the RCA box because of the easy to use remote. I'm thinking about trying the 901 to see if the remote is a good one. (Big buttons. Closed caption access.) These things are important to the elderly. An older lady told me today that she wished the channel number was bigger. She really does not care about the call sign or the program description. She wants it like the analog version.
Can you compare the boxes side by side?
Anyone? Anyone?

Well, I think DD210 got it all for me with his post and seems pretty dead on with my experience. My one BIG complaint with the RCA remote was that it seemed very LAGGY, ie a noticeable time difference in when you hit a button and the box responded. I thought it may have been my box or low batteries but my uncle's RCA box displayed the same delay. I gave it to my mom and hooked it up for her and she likes the remote, so I guess it's personal preference. I do think that many older people would prefer the RCA box if only because of the larger buttons.
post #371 of 2239 Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD210 View Post

Yes and you may not be through buying antennas, because many stations will go back to VHF.

The Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna can receive VHF ch 7-13 and the Channel Master 7777 preamp is for both UHF/VHF.
post #372 of 2239 Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 AM

Has anyone noticed any audio issues with their 901? I exchanged two 900's for the 901's for the pass through feature and have noticed the volume levels varying up and down. This never was a problem on the 900's. The volume level jumps up and down on every channel, every commercial and every program. I am not referring to the loudness levels from channel to channel or when a commercial comes on. This issue is on both of the 901's I just got. I have had a Digital Stream 9950 hooked up to this tv without any issues or when the 900 was hooked up. All variables, same antenna, same cabling etc, have been consistant except for the boxes. The variation in levels is quite annoying. The units are hooked up using the composite outputs. The variation is there whether the unit is in a stereo or mono mode. I will do some more testing but with the only variable being the box it certainly points in the direction of two defective boxes.
post #373 of 2239 Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd14420 View Post

Has anyone noticed any audio issues with their 901? I exchanged two 900's for the 901's for the pass through feature and have noticed the volume levels varying up and down. This never was a problem on the 900's. The volume level jumps up and down on every channel, every commercial and every program. I am not referring to the loudness levels from channel to channel or when a commercial comes on. This issue is on both of the 901's I just got. I have had a Digital Stream 9950 hooked up to this tv without any issues or when the 900 was hooked up. All variables, same antenna, same cabling etc, have been consistant except for the boxes. The variation in levels is quite annoying. The units are hooked up using the composite outputs. The variation is there whether the unit is in a stereo or mono mode. I will do some more testing but with the only variable being the box it certainly points in the direction of two defective boxes.

Actually, I have noticed some minor volume fluctuations. Sometimes volume will seem softer, other times slightly louder during the same program. I exchanged a 900 for a 901 and this happened on both units.
post #374 of 2239 Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I don't believe I've noticed any varying audio levels, but as other have noted, the high frequencies are noticeably dulled, and the sibilance still appears to be there, it's the same trailing hissing after "s'' sounds, just not as "crisp" because of the curtailed treble.
post #375 of 2239 Old 07-04-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I did notice a rapid change in volume like somebody dialed it up and down, but only the first day or so. To avoid headaches with the 900 I had tweaked the various settings way off normal and once I got things readjusted, I haven't noticed that anymore.
post #376 of 2239 Old 07-04-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

I don't believe I've noticed any varying audio levels, but as other have noted, the high frequencies are noticeably dulled, and the sibilance still appears to be there, it's the same trailing hissing after "s'' sounds, just not as "crisp" because of the curtailed treble.

"Sibilance" can be the fault of the station or program. This is why I've disliked the term when describing the issue that was with the Zenith converter, as it could lead some to believe that accentuated "s" sounds was the problem...and that wasn't the case.
post #377 of 2239 Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 PM

If you have a universal remote that controls the Zenith Dtt901, would you please provide the make and model number. I chose to purchase the Zenith instead of the RCA for an older relative because of the pass through feature. As it turns out, she is having difficulty adjusting to using a box and prefers to have it unplugged so she can just use the TV while I am not there to guide her. I am able to do this easily because the unit will pass through the analog signal when it is unplugged. This confirms my initial evaluation of the RCA DTA800 VS the Zenith. Had I not been dealing with expiring coupons, I would have waited for the DTA800b1. Now I will need to find a good universal remote so she can have better control over her TV and box.
post #378 of 2239 Old 07-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

the 901 passes through the analog signal when it's off, she doesn't need to unplug it.
post #379 of 2239 Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD210 View Post

If you have a universal remote that controls the Zenith Dtt901, would you please provide the make and model number. Now I will need to find a good universal remote so she can have better control over her TV and box.

I use the Philips Universal Consolidator 4 device remote, model PM435S (around $6). This remote has larger buttons for better visibility than the original Zenith remote. As programmed with the 0267 activation code, this remote lacks the Zoom feature (but I have not experimented with the eight other "codes" listed for Zenith under SAT/DTV/WebTV).

My PM435S is set to operate the Zenith converter box, a Dynex TV, a Westinghouse TV and a RCA TV. There are twelve pages of "codes" and a "code search" procedure for undocumented products such as my six month old Dynex TV.

Other inexpensive Philips remotes are similar in size but the learning remotes have many more buttons, some rather small. I also use the 6 device learning remote, model PMDVD6 ($9.74 at Fred Meyer, a local Kroger-owned store).

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #380 of 2239 Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM

DD210

I assume that the remote for the DTT901 is identical to the DTT900 remote, and I use a Zenith Universal Learning remote as described in an earlier post #998 in the DTT900 thread:

Quote:

For anybody who has a Zenith ZN620 Universal Learning Remote, I found that the code 267 allows this remote to control the Zenith DTT900. Many keys on the ZN620 have identical labels to keys on the DTT900 remote and perform the same functions. A few keys have identical functions but different labels (DTT900=ZN620): Signal=Input, Display=Info, Select=OK, Exit=Quit & Recall=Prev Chan. I used the learning feature to assign missing desired functions to some relatively easy-to-remember keys (DTT900=ZN620): Sleep=Sleep, Zoom=+, Fav=Enter & Dash=-. I haven't assigned the SAP function to a key yet since I probably won't use it. With these changes to the ZN620, I can now control most of the functions of the converter box as well as 5 other electronic devices with a single remote.

One other significant note about my remote is that it has a "punch through" feature for volume and mute. Using this feature, the volume and mute buttons on the remote can control volume and mute on the TV, even when the remote is set to control the DTT900. I have my remote configured this way so the DTT900 volume can be preset at 100% and never has to be changed again, since the remote controls only the TV's volume.

My remote is from a Zenith series that controls from 3 to 8 devices and cost from about $8 to $15. These may no longer be readily available because they were copyrighted in 2005 and seem to be disappearing from the Menards where I bought a them originally.

I've always suspected a link between Zenith and Phillips, so it's interesting to note that both my remote and DigaDo's use the same code (267 or 0267) for the DTT900/901. If you can't find a Zenith remote, perhaps you can find a Phillips one with the features you need. I highly recommend the learning and punch-through capabilities. Good luck with your hunt.
post #381 of 2239 Old 07-05-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunofyerbisnes View Post

DD210

I assume that the remote for the DTT901 is identical to the DTT900 remote . . .

I've always suspected a link between Zenith and Phillips, so it's interesting to note that both my remote and DigaDo's use the same code (267 or 0267) for the DTT900/901. If you can't find a Zenith remote, perhaps you can find a Phillips one with the features you need. I highly recommend the learning and punch-through capabilities. Good luck with your hunt.

The Zenith DTT900/901 models have identical remotes, model AKB36157102.

Since my earlier post I tried the other eight Zenith codes with the Philips PM435S. None of them allowed the remote to control Zenith DTT900/901 models.

Earlier I forgot to mention that the Philips PM435S does not emulate the subchannel "-" or "." button, not a big problem since the Zenith displays a box of associated subchannels after keying the main channel number thus allowing cursor up or down selection of the desired subchannel. Then pressing enter will take one to that subchannel instantly or waiting a second or so will also take one to that subchannel. (With the Philips PMDVD6 learning remote I taught other keys the subchannel and zoom buttons.)

Since converter boxes are very new products I would assume that most universal remote manufacturers are adding "-" or "." and "zoom" (or some other descriptive name) to their newest universal remotes.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #382 of 2239 Old 07-05-2008, 04:16 PM

UPDATE to previous messages: I can now fully recommend the RCA DTA800b1. It's analog passthrough works just like the Zenith and it now has the capability to add channels missed on initial scan! Will be sometime before I can compare performance though. I am now sorry I bought a Zenith instead of waiting a few more days for the RCA.
post #383 of 2239 Old 07-05-2008, 05:31 PM

OK, folks, here's my report:

Special ordered (2) DTT901 boxes from Stockton Circuit City on June 28th. Total cost including tax was 42.88. Picked up boxes on July 4th. Here is label info:

Build date both boxes - May 2008
S/N 805SHGQ310327
S/N 805SHRC310270
Bar Code both boxes - 7 19192 17340 8

I live on a 50-foot motoryacht with flybridge and radar arch, berthed in a yacht harbor in Stockton. Although I am on an outside side tie, there are many metal sheds for smaller boats in the harbor. Antenna is a Glomex omni-directional mounted on radar arch and connected by coax to amplifier in engine room. Output of amplifier goes to 2 -way splitter, one leg to Sony 19" flat screen in salon and the other to 13" Magnavox in stateroom. The leg to Sony also has a 2-way splitter installed so that one leg goes to Sony and the other to Panasonic VCR. Magnavox, Sony, and Panasonic are all about 7 - 8 years old, but in very good condition. Installed one DTT901 on input to Magnavox and one on input to Sony. Panasonic still hooked directly to Glomex antenna.

Performance - Excellent all the way around. No discernible video or audio problems as previously reported by others. I get all the channels I previously received, but now there is no snow or ghosts on any. In addition I am receiving about ten channels more than I did before. PQ is near perfect. Pass-through works exactly as designed, and I can still get the channels that have not yet switched to digital. I addition, my VCR works exactly as it did before, so I am able to watch one channel with digital while recording another on analog. Also, programming the Zenith remote to power on/off the two TV sets was simple and trouble free. I used RF cable to connect both boxes to TVs. I tried the Audio/Video cable, but the PQ was slightly better with the RF cable, possibly due to overdriving the signal with the antenna amplifier.

Summary - I originally was going to purchase the Microprose MTI-500PT boxes, but switched to Zenith when NTIA delayed approval of the Microprose. I am completely satisfied with Circuit City and their special order procedure, the Zenith boxes have been easy to install, and their performance has been excellent in all respects. I highly recommend them.
post #384 of 2239 Old 07-05-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Earlier I forgot to mention that the Philips PM435S does not emulate the subchannel "-" or "." button, not a big problem since the Zenith displays a box of associated subchannels after keying the main channel number thus allowing cursor up or down selection of the desired subchannel. Then pressing enter will take one to that subchannel instantly or waiting a second or so will also take one to that subchannel.

It's even a smaller problem than that.  Key in the three digits of the channel with a leading zero if the main channel number is one digit (242 for 24.2 or 093 for 9.3), and the DTT901, like the DTT900 before it, will infer the decimal point.  Then you can press Enter or wait, and it will tune to the specified subchannel.  Even the Magnavox TB-100MG9 does that, so I figure it's not an uncommon feature (though the Digital Stream DTX9950 doesn't do it, it just assumes you want a longer and longer main channel number and has no way around the decimal point key).
post #385 of 2239 Old 07-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
My Zenith remote pops up a dialog of the available stations if I just enter the FIRST number. For example, if I enter a "2" it pops up 24.1. If I do nothing else it automatically tunes to 24.1. If I type in a "4" the dialog shows 42.1 and 42.2. If I do nothing it tunes to the first one in the list - 42.1. If I wan t 42.2, I hit the down arrow. This makes it very easy to jump around to non-sequential channels with very little input. no "-" or "." needed!
post #386 of 2239 Old 07-05-2008, 08:17 PM

I've updated my comparison of the RCA to the Zenith on the forum comparing the DTA800 with the DTT900 to reflect the new models with pass-through.
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1030230
post #387 of 2239 Old 07-06-2008, 01:37 PM

07-06-08

Could anyone thats seen a:

Zennith DTT-900 15-148
Zennith DTT-901 15-193

on any Radio Shack shelf.

Please post the ZIP here?

I need an exchange box ....
(I have a coupon already tied to RS)

I'll get the store info from RadioShack.com, call, and get one transfered to my store here.

Thanks guys/gals

James Clerk Maxwell spins in his grave,
not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #388 of 2239 Old 07-06-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post

07-06-08

Could anyone thats seen a:

Zennith DTT-900 15-148
Zennith DTT-901 15-193

on any Radio Shack shelf.

Please post the ZIP here?

I need an exchange box ....
(I have a coupon already tied to RS)

I'll get the store info from RadioShack.com, call, and get one transferred to my store here.

Thanks guys/gals

The Radio Shack in Medina, OH 44256 had them a week or so ago. I can't find the Zenith DTT-901 on the Radio Shack site anymore. I lost their item number, until I saw your post. I tried the number to see if I could determine if they still had one in stock. The number wasn't even valid anymore. It seems that only the franchised (small town) stores can order them through the corporate Radio Shack when they have them available.
post #389 of 2239 Old 07-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Your absolutely right. Only google has them in their cache. Only thing left is the PDF for the remote codes for the ones they sold.

http://dostuff.radioshack.com/files/...verterFAQs.pdf

DTT-900 IS:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3006502

DTT-901 WAS:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3150601

James Clerk Maxwell spins in his grave,
not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #390 of 2239 Old 07-06-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I searched and found nothing...

Does the DTT901 show signal strength or beeps to position the antenna?
Also, does the DTT901 still only send left channel audio out when using the RF connection?

TIA
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page