post #451 of 2288 Old 07-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

The Insignia APT is actually listed on Best Buy's website. Hope it is approved & in-stock soon. Maybe then I can exchange my March-build with defective audio for a new box.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1209166340855

Noticed a whole endcap in BB in Weatherford, TX. Yes, they were APT model. However no Insignia and the BB associate did not know if or when they would get them. Hard to believe since it is their house brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2288 Old 07-10-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

I initially thought BB might have decided not to sell the APT because of a deal for selling Pal....

Maybe they just decided not to sell it in the store so people are less likely to return it (like they might've done with the original because of the audio defect).
post #453 of 2288 Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Whatever happened to product release announcements that include where to find it!

What would be nice is if the newer NTIA list that indicates what's available would have a link for each box and a list of retailers that sell it.
post #454 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I was in Best Buy the other day and they had no Insignias, just Apex DT250 with APT. I asked the sales person why no Insignia house brand. He said they sold the last one and now handle Apex because it has APT.

Perhaps they had Apex because it's all they could get their hands on till more Insignias come in. I did not ask if they were getting any more Insignias in.
post #455 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I thought that someone said here that BB stated they will not be carrying the Insignia anymore. So even if the pass-thru model comes out, they won't have it.

And since Insignia is basically sold through BB, it may be pretty hard to find otherwise.

Yes they told me that Insignia is the Best Buy 'store brand', but to provide analog PassThrough, they will be selling Apex DT250 and NOT the Insignia NS-DXA1-APT
post #456 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 168
APT??
http://www.aptonline.org/

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #457 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
analog pass through
post #458 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 168
That didn't come to me.
Too many acronyms.

That Apex doesn't have the ability to add channels not found in the scan.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #459 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Guess the BestBuy employees will now give you a different story about which converter you should purchase. The Insignia NS-DXA1-APT is now listed as NTIA-Approved & Available.
post #460 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM

I borrowed one of the Zenith DTT901 decoders from a friend. It works quite well. Sensitivity is better than the HD Access and RCA 800A I have tested before. Similar to the Insignia, except it has RF Pass Through. The passed through analog signals do NOT seem to be attenuated. I very much appreciate that channels can be added after the scan. I have seen Vizio TVs that CANNOT add a channel after the scan, I hope they have fixed that by now!

The Zenith with pass thru seems like the best option I can find so far. My second coupon expires soon so I will buy a DTT901 myself.

The program menu only shows present program, but it lists all the other stations programs without going to them.

Two things I like about the HD Access DAT1010 is program listings for the next few hours (why not the next few days, since the info is broadcast?). The other is it has a Smart Antenna jack. It is not as sensitive as the Zenith.

Rumor is RCA will release a flat indoor Smart Antenna in the Fall. We will see.

Maybe someday somebody will have a converter that has:
1) Excellent sensitivity
2) Three day program menu
3) RF Pass through
4) Add Scan (that does not delete previous scans)
5) Smart Antenna jack
6) Smart Antenna control in the coax!

I believe broadcast DTV will just get better as we go along!

JES

p.s. this is my first time posting here
post #461 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

Guess the BestBuy employees will now give you a different story about which converter you should purchase. The Insignia NS-DXA1-APT is now listed as NTIA-Approved & Available.

Not only is the NS-DXA1-APT listed as approved and available, but the NTIA is also listing it as "unavailable." That's the way the government is, if it isn't botched it up the first time then there are always other opportunities to botch it up.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #462 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Despite what the CC website, which says these are not in stock, the CC in Boulder, CO had lots of 901's and not a single 900 in sight. I'm guessing other Denver area Circuit Cities are the same.

I've hooked the 901 up at my parents house in Westminster, CO. In the basement, without an antenna it picked up all Denver area DT channels. Added the rabbit ears, but there's still a bit of signal dropout with KTVD ch 20-1. But overall seems to work well. Not thrilled with the remote layout and the lack of direct volume control on the tv (changing from digital to analog pass thru almost deafened me )

But that's really the only complaint. Being able to select zoom, cropped, letter box, etc. by channel seems to work well.

I'm going to take it back to Boulder with me and see how it handles the mountains and NIST/NCAR bad transmission zone.
post #463 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 04:30 PM

I have both LG Zeniths'

The DTT 900 and the 901 here's my findings:

DTT900

Very good March Build didn't hear any audio problems but I am using the RF out set to Mono on a 17" TV.

Excellent sensitivity...

Has a problem when source is HD, has shimmering in lighter areas.

DTT901

Better, used on 25" TV with RF out.

Better at holding on to a bad signal.

Picture Quality is slightly sharper.

Overall happy with both.

arch1
post #464 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Picked up a DTT901 at a local CC today. I swapped out my Hisense DB-2010 and put the Zenith box in its place. First thing I noticed after scanning for channels is that the audio was cutting out once in a while. On one channel in particular the video was breaking up as well (curiosity now jumps to an all time high since I work at that station and I know we are not having problems). I then picked up the box and whapped the side of it and the video would breakup and audio would cutout on any channel. I would suspect the unit should be able to survive a little impact maintenance, I guess not. Anyone else experience this?
I had absolutely no problems with the 4th generation Hisense tuner. Looks like I got a lemon.
post #465 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

. . . Looks like I got a lemon.
. . .

That's what I'm thinking.
post #466 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got back from CC. The replacement unit seems stable on all receivable channels but it stills fails the whap test. It must suffer from a case of Microphonics.

Microphonics describes the phenomenon where certain components in electronic devices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal (noise). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphonics

Side Note....
Also I checked my DTVPAL receiver and it also suffers from the phenomenon.

Moral of the story.....don't smash the box with a hammer it's likely to have issues. Some could be permanent.
post #467 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 08:39 PM

Has anyone confirmed that the EZ Add function on the DTT 901 actually works? I have discovered that it apparently does not work on my 901 box. I happened to do an initial auto scan when one channel was off the air. The next day the channel came up (as confirmed by a different box), and I tried several times to add it via the 901's EZ Add function, but the box refused to find any new channels. I could tune it manually, and it had a very strong signal strength. Finally I did a new complete auto scan, and the channel was found. I am wondering why didn't EZ Add find the channel?
post #468 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Just got back from CC. The replacement unit seems stable on all receivable channels but it stills fails the whap test. It must suffer from a case of Microphonics.

Microphonics describes the phenomenon where certain components in electronic devices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal (noise). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphonics

Side Note....
Also I checked my DTVPAL receiver and it also suffers from the phenomenon.

Moral of the story.....don't smash the box with a hammer it's likely to have issues. Some could be permanent.

I haven't heard of a microphonics problem since an electronics lab in 1966 when tubes were used. My Zenith CECB certainly has no microphonics problem.
post #469 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardav View Post

Has anyone confirmed that the EZ Add function on the DTT 901 actually works? I have discovered that it apparently does not work on my 901 box. I happened to do an initial auto scan when one channel was off the air. The next day the channel came up (as confirmed by a different box), and I tried several times to add it via the 901's EZ Add function, but the box refused to find any new channels. I could tune it manually, and it had a very strong signal strength. Finally I did a new complete auto scan, and the channel was found. I am wondering why didn't EZ Add find the channel?

I haven't had occasion to use EZ Add with the 901 (May 2008), since my receivable stations just about never change, but it worked properly on the 900 (January 2008) that I used to own.

Suggestion: go to Manual Tuning (not Channel Edit) and delete a couple of stations that you know you can receive all the time.  Then see if EZ Add finds them and adds them back.  I just interrupted writing this post to try it, and EZ Add found and re-added the three stations I had deleted.
post #470 of 2288 Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

I haven't heard of a microphonics problem since an electronics lab in 1966 when tubes were used. My Zenith CECB certainly has no microphonics problem.

Tuners will generally have a microphonic response of some sort because thay have small open air coils in them. Vibration will cause slight movement of the coils which will affect tuning slightly. There might be some tuner designs that eliminate the coils but the boxes that I have seen (Digital Stream DTX9900 and Zenith DTT901) have conventional tuners containing coils so some vibration or impact symptoms should be present. Even the cavity formed by the case will alter the frequency response as it changes shape slightly under inpact.

The Wiki definition may be more accurate but techs generally refer to any vibration induced interference as microphonic.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #471 of 2288 Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Suggestion: go to Manual Tuning (not Channel Edit) and delete a couple of stations that you know you can receive all the time. Then see if EZ Add finds them and adds them back. I just interrupted writing this post to try it, and EZ Add found and re-added the three stations I had deleted.

Yep, it works for that scenario. Also works if I auto scan with no antenna, then run EZ Add. I can't reproduce the original situation and behavior, so I'll chalk it up to a temporary gremlin. Thanks for the help.
post #472 of 2288 Old 07-12-2008, 12:39 PM

This is the best forum for good info - Just a quick note, I got a dtt901 and its power rating is 7W - someone on wikipedia keeps putting up a "P" rating for boxes that use less than 5W of power and listing this feature for the insig apt's and DTT901's. That is not right so if anyone sees that posted again please correct it!

For a little comparison the magnavox mw9 uses 8W so its not much diff.(although the Zenith is a MUCH better box all around).
post #473 of 2288 Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Someone on wiki (not me) is using the actual rated power consumption in EnergyStar tests -- and it was 3.9W full power.
post #474 of 2288 Old 07-12-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Well if you whack, beat and thump on about anything long enough you will finally break it...

So I would say handle it like a carton of eggs !!

If it don't work calmly return it to the place of purchase and have a little fun with the sales staff.

Life is to short anyway...

arch1
post #475 of 2288 Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Yes, I also noticed my DTT901 would dropout if the box were jarred. Suspecting a loose connection, I removed the cover and did some light tapping with a pencil eraser. The signal would dropout wherever I tapped the box or boards with light taps. Then I noticed just barely touching the metal chassis with the metal band around the pencil eraser without any tapping caused the signal to briefly dropout just like the tapping. Then I tried light tapping of the boards, components and chassis with my finger. Surprisingly, dropouts did NOT occur tapping with my finger! I finally tried tapping with the wooden part of the pencil through which the lead passes, and dropouts DID again occur. (The pencil lead apparently is a conductor, and my finger is a poor conductor.)

The conclusion is that any brief contact with or motion of a conductor in the vicinity of the DTT901 electronics or vibration or brief deformation of the DTT901 cover or chassis itself will compromise the tuning and cause a brief dropout. There was no loose connection, and this appears to be a normal operating characteristic of the DTT901.

Recommendation: Don't throw any wild parties while watching DTV with the DTT901 or keep elephants indoors.
post #476 of 2288 Old 07-13-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsen View Post

This is the best forum for good info - Just a quick note, I got a dtt901 and its power rating is 7W - someone on wikipedia keeps putting up a "P" rating for boxes that use less than 5W of power and listing this feature for the insig apt's and DTT901's. That is not right so if anyone sees that posted again please correct it!

For a little comparison the magnavox mw9 uses 8W so its not much diff.(although the Zenith is a MUCH better box all around).

Per my test on June 3rd my Zenith drew 5 watts using a Kill-A-Watt measuring device. Note it's pretty accurate but only displays to the nearest watt so it could indeed be below 5 watts, maybe even 3.9 as Rat quoted. But even at 5 watts it sure runs cooler than any other box I've tried, even ones that only "draw" a watt more. The Zenith just must be better at dissipating that heat
post #477 of 2288 Old 07-13-2008, 12:52 PM

Today we just used our coupons (they expire Friday) at Circuit City and purchased two Zenith DTT901 boxes, both built in May 2008. The store did not have an DTT900 boxes on the shelf.

Once we brought them home, I installed the first one on the kitchen TV - a 14" Magnavox - using all of the composite A/V cables. It is a stereo TV. All the channels came in with a basic $10 RCA antenna, however, I still need to tune it to receive all the channels with clarity.

A little later I installed the other converter box on the TV (a 19" Curtis Mathes) in the upstairs bedroom - using only the video and left audio (yellow and white) composite A/V cables. The TV has mono sound. Everything works fine until I change the channel or turn off the box.

When I do so, the TV makes a quick "poping" sound. I have not tried the RF cable or connecting it to another TV but I imagine this is caused by the absence of the right audio cable. In the menu, the sound is set to mono. Does anyone have the same problem or is willing to explain what is going on?

I like the Zenith DTT901 boxes and jsut want to make sure that they are working as they should.

Doug
post #478 of 2288 Old 07-13-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 99
How are you controlling the volume? If your TV has a remote volume option I'd suggest setting the 901 to max volume and just controlling it from your TVs remote. If you have your TVs volume cranked up and the 901's volume very low I could see how turning on or off the 901 might cause a pop in the TVs sound.
Since the 901 is set to mono using just one of the 2 outputs to your mono tv should be fine. BTW haven't heard the name Curtis Mathes in years. A quality set in its day
post #479 of 2288 Old 07-13-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

BTW haven't heard the name Curtis Mathes in years. A quality set in its day

The Curtis Mathes name in recent years has been a house brand from KMart.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #480 of 2288 Old 07-13-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone-Doug View Post

Today we just used our coupons (they expire Friday) at Circuit City and purchased two Zenith DTT901 boxes, both built in May 2008. The store did not have an DTT900 boxes on the shelf.

Once we brought them home, I installed the first one on the kitchen TV - a 14" Magnavox - using all of the composite A/V cables. It is a stereo TV. All the channels came in with a basic $10 RCA antenna, however, I still need to tune it to receive all the channels with clarity.

A little later I installed the other converter box on the TV (a 19" Curtis Mathes) in the upstairs bedroom - using only the video and left audio (yellow and white) composite A/V cables. The TV has mono sound. Everything works fine until I change the channel or turn off the box.

When I do so, the TV makes a quick "poping" sound. I have not tried the RF cable or connecting it to another TV but I imagine this is caused by the absence of the right audio cable. In the menu, the sound is set to mono. Does anyone have the same problem or is willing to explain what is going on?

I like the Zenith DTT901 boxes and jsut want to make sure that they are working as they should.

Doug

Use the COAX RF cable. That will also facilitate analog pass through.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page