post #631 of 2239 Old 07-25-2008, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Beeper,

Did I read that features comparison correctly that the DTVPal has an external power brick instead of an internal power supply? That's a deal killer for many of us that are just fed up with all the power bricks we have to find a place to plug in; usually means another power strip or extension cord.

CEBII

I just got my DTVPal today and it isnt a brick...it's a detachable power cord. The plug head is larger than I would have expected, considering how tiny the DTVPal is, at around 4" long by 1" wide...but it's still just a cord with a plug on each end...no box in the middle to connect to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2239 Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ohm View Post

Yes, I just did it on my 901. Of course, channels 6 and under dont work that way, being only 2 digits, but 9-1, 8-1, 7-1 do for some reason on my unit. (in other words type 91 and you get 9-1, but 61 which I have goes to my channel 61 not my channel 6-1. Im sure there is some kind of logic to it)

OK, I figured out the logic. If the channel is already stored in memory (the channel list), it will go there. If not stored, then it will go to channel-subchannel. I have channels 61, 51, 41, 31, 21 in my list of channels, but of course not 71, 81, 91 so they go to 7-1, 8-1, 9-1.

Try 061 for your channel "6.1"; 61 won't work because you already have that in your list of scanned channels. I believe I read that a leading zero should work. I can't test this myself, because I don't have a single digital channel where I live. And, I don't have Tivo, but I bet it can handle the zero. Good luck.
post #633 of 2239 Old 07-25-2008, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

OK, I figured out the logic. If the channel is already stored in memory (the channel list), it will go there. If not stored, then it will go to channel-subchannel. I have channels 61, 51, 41, 31, 21 in my list of channels, but of course not 71, 81, 91 so they go to 7-1, 8-1, 9-1.

I think the logic is different from that.  The highest possible virtual channel number is 69.9.  The highest possible physical channel is 69 (51 after 2009-02-17, but the box has to work now.)  Anything starting with 2 through 6 could be the first digit of a two-digit virtual channel's integer from 20.1 through 69.9 or of a two-digit RF channel number from 20 through 69.  But anything starting with 7, 8, or 9 has to be the entire integer of a virtual channel number from 7.1 through 9.9 or of RF channel 7, 8, or 9, because two-digit integers starting with 7, 8, or 9 are out of range.

It doesn't matter what channel numbers are stored, only which are possible.

To tune a channel from 2.1 through 6.9 without the dot key, start with a leading 0.  I can get 2.1, 5.1, or 5.2 (the only such numbers that are working channels in my area) on my DTT901 by keying 021, 051, or 052 respectively.  7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 9.1, and 9.2 can be tuned without the period and with or without a leading zero.
post #634 of 2239 Old 07-25-2008, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Dattier beat me to it, and said it so much better. ;-)
post #635 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Try 061 for your channel "6.1"; 61 won't work because you already have that in your list of scanned channels. I believe I read that a leading zero should work. I can't test this myself, because I don't have a single digital channel where I live. And, I don't have Tivo, but I bet it can handle the zero. Good luck.

Yep, 061 brings up 6-1, not 61.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what channel numbers are stored, only which are possible.

It does matter if using the no zero in front method. And not only that, if for example I put in 42, it tries to bring up 42-1 but then switches to 29-1, because my real RF channel for 29 is 42.

So for Tivo programming, I can see where in some cases its going to look wacky.
post #636 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

My concern is that I have the following channels in my area and could be limited on how TiVo is going to send the digits to change the channels:

(NBC) WLEX - ch39.1: virtchannel - 18.1
(CBS) WKYT - ch13.1: virtchannel - 27.1
(CW) CWKYT - ch13.2: virtchannel - 27.2
(ABC) WTVQ - ch40.1: virtchannel - 36.1
(FOX) WDKY - ch4.1: virtchannel - 56.1
(PBS) KET1 - 42.1: virtchannel - 46.1
(PBS) KET2KY - 42.2: virtchannel - 46.2
(PBS) KETHD - 42.3: virtchannel - 46.3
(PBS) KETED - 42.4: virtchannel - 46.4

So does the Zenith tune by the real channel numbers or the virtual channel numbers? or both ways? Am I going to have an issue with TiVo sending the following digits for these channels tuned on the Zenith?
181, 271, 272, 361, 561, 461, 462, 463, 464

or

131, 132, 391, 401, 41, 421, 422, 423, 424

or

13, 132, 39, 40, 4, 421, 422, 423, 424

I am going to be using a CECB + Dish network sat receiver. I am concerned that with the TiVo sending the 3-digits for these channels, it will simultaneously change the channels on the satellite receiver. I am not sure how it will know to be recording from either the CECB or the sat receiver tuned input. I'll do some more research on that. I've not used the channel mapping part of TiVoWebPlus before, so I am in the learning curve trying to conceive what is possible to make myself a solution for OTA with my TiVo. I know others have gotten the older Zenith CECB to work with their series 1 TiVos, but I've not read anything conclusive about doing a complete hack where the subchannels on the CECB are also utilized. The changeover to ATSC for local broadcast will actually give me 4 additional channels of programming that I don't get OTA via NTSC signals right now, so if I can use subs on a CECB (even if the guide is faulty for these subchannels), it's a bonus.
post #637 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCJedi View Post

Does the Zenith DTT901 allow direct tuning of the subchannels without a special character like a dash?

For example to tune my CW station, I would type '272' on the remote.
Is that how it would work on this box?

I need to know quickly (expiring $40 coupon in 2 days) for using one with my Series 1 TiVo, which TiVo stated they will not support for less than $399 and would exclude the use of my satellite dish receiver from their offer (HDTivo which has no satellite ability).

My series 1 TiVo is hacked and I want to capitalize on the channel mapping feature to map subchannels to other guide channels, but I need a CECB that is
1) able to be controlled by the TiVo's remote zapper with remote codes already existing in the TiVo
2) capable of direct tuning subchannels with ONLY a series of numbers (no dash or special character to tune the subchannel).

I wouldn't think Zenith changed the remote control code from the earlier model, so I think the DTT901 is still fair game, but I just wanted verification from a current DTT901 owner on how channels are tuned, so I can proceed with my sinister plan to breath life into the 'old TiVo (since TiVo themselves won't). TIA

I like my DTT901. Yes I can enter 021 or 2-1 => 2.1 and 91 or 9-1 => 9.1
I think the range is 2-63 so: 63 => 63.1 063 => 6.3
TiVo's ->| (middle right on their control) is their hyphen key.
post #638 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cia_viewer View Post

I like my DTT901. Yes I can enter 021 or 2-1 => 2.1 and 91 or 9-1 => 9.1
I think the range is 2-63 so: 63 => 63.1 063 => 6.3
TiVo's ->| (middle right on their control) is their hyphen key.

Cool and thanks! I am not sure TiVo will know to use the ->| combo to send a dash for the subchannels. I think it just knows to send DigitDigit or DigitDigitDigit to zap channel changes to the external tuner box. That's why I'd been asking how to tune subs directly without a dash with the Zenith.

Sounds like the Zenith would be a good fit for a complete hack of the S1 TiVo (as long as the Hughes cable box code that the DTT900 used is the same for DTT901).
post #639 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Ack.. the DTT901 doesn't seem to be a good fit for the S1 TiVo according to this post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...70#post6519070

I'll have to ask him what his progress is.
post #640 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It does matter if using the no zero in front method. And not only that, if for example I put in 42, it tries to bring up 42-1 but then switches to 29-1, because my real RF channel for 29 is 42.

That's a subsequent step in the logic, though.  When you entered 42 with no leading zero and no period, the box tried for 42 rather than 4.2; then it looked in its table and translated 42 into 29.1.  But for what we were discussing above, the significant part is that it read "42" as 42, not as 4.2.  It wouldn't have translated 4.2 (if you had keyed "4" "." "2" or "0" "4" "2") to 29.1, and that's how you knew that it read "4" "2" as 42.
post #641 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 04:56 PM

Went and bought a 901 June build at CC in Mishawaka today. There were about 50 boxes on the shelf which all appeared to be May 2008 until I searched a little bit and found a June 2008 and then with a bit more searching another June and then a third.

I have looked back over this thread to page 14 and can't find any discussion of the differences (if any) between the May and June builds of the 901. I am wondering if there are any differences and I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Also have a DTVPal I got at RS, seems to work about the same for me in my relatively strong signal location with a poopy bowtie antenna.
post #642 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Yep, 061 brings up 6-1, not 61.

So for Tivo programming, I can see where in some cases its going to look wacky.

Try using (for example) 161 for 6.1, 162 for 6.2, etc.

Starting with a zero won't usually work, because it won't take - it'll drop it.

With my E85H and my DTV Pal, that works, but once you get to 10, you have to put the next number in line for the first digit in there instead. For example, 10.1 is 201. 53.2 is 632. If the actual first digit doesn't work (101 for 10.1, 532 for 53.2), then try that.
post #643 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 06:17 PM

Nothing really new to add to the Zenith information but thought I would share my first experience with the set.

With my first coupon expiring in a week, I picked up a DTT901 at Circuit City today. They had a few April builds and probably ~100 May builds out and nothing later. This would also give me a chance to get familiar with the CECB I was going to get for my parents who are in a rural area with limited channel reception and for me to try to pick up some OTA signals that are in a tier that cable charges extra for.

I'm in an apartment with an antenna on the roof feeding the apartments. I'm probably 20-30 miles from most of the towers. The analog reception isn't great but most people have Dish or cable so the landlord hasn't given the antenna much attention. I can usually pick up maybe 9 or 10 stations. A couple are totally not watchable, several that are so-so, and a couple that are good. I hooked the 901 up with 12 ft of RG6-Quad from wall to box and used the supplied component cables to the 32" 8yr old Pannasonic TV.

Hook up and configuration was very quick, simple and straight forward. I was really excited until I got 1 channel found. Yep...1 channel, the local FOX network. This wasn't even one of the great channels I got off the antenna. Rechecked connections and rescanned for 0 channels. Lets just say I was disappointed! Remembering an old indoor antenna from ages ago in my storage locker, I hooked it up using a balun to convert the 300 ohm flat wire to coax connector. Did EZAdd and I was flabbergasted when it added 19 channels! I get some audio cut-out and more pixelation than I would like, but almost all that I care to watch are watchable - too bad I don't speak Spanish as those stations are really solid. The only main OTA station that didn't come in was local CBS on 2.1 (RF 3).

I like the box so far. Picture quality is very good and better than I expected. For now I'm leaving it to "set by program" for aspect setting which pretty much translates to letter-boxed. Squeezed looks funky and cropped is...well, cropped. I think the interface is pretty good for changing settings. The remote might be a bit small for my parents but there are reports of some other replacements that will work with the box.

In case the landlord won't do anything with the roof antenna, I'll be reading up on indoor antennas in the technical forum. I would have never believed it would have made that much of a difference. BTW, I found that my indoor set is a RadioShack Double Bow-Tie, apparently considered a classic by some!
post #644 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drober View Post

I have purchased two Zenith DTT901 converter boxes. ... I am pleased with the Zenith DTT901, however, I have encountered a problem upon installation that I hope someone may advise me on. I set up my boxes to the same analog TV in order to watch one channel while recording a different channel on my VCR. ... The instructions provided by the FCC said to set up Converter Box "A" and using the remote control that came with Converter Box "A", follow the on-screen set-up guide to scan for available DTV channels. Then set my TV to "Audio/Video in" and tune my VCR to channel 3 or 4 to set up Converter Box "B". Using the remote that came with Converter Box "B", follow the on-screen set-up guide to scan for available DTV channels. Well, since both converter boxes are Zenith DTT901, what happened was that both boxes responded to the first remote. The remotes seem to be interchangeable. This causes problems when trying to record a program with my VCR because when I try to watch one channel while recording a different channel both converter boxes respond to the remote and change channels. A friend advised me that I may have to have converter boxes from different manufacturers (not just different brand labels) and the boxes must use different remote control codes. Is this true? If so, why didn't the FCC say so? I would appreciate any insight anyone might have into this delimma. Thanks.

Two easy solutions:
  1. use the remote to tune one box to the desired channel and then the channel up/down buttons on the other box to change it to its desired channel
  2. use the remote to tune one box to the desired channel, walk over to that box, cover its IR receptor with your hand or something else opaque, and then use the remote to change the other box to its desired channel
post #645 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Two easy solutions:
  1. use the remote to tune one box to the desired channel and then the channel up/down buttons on the other box to change it to its desired channel
  2. use the remote to tune one box to the desired channel, walk over to that box, cover its IR receptor with your hand or something else opaque, and then use the remote to change the other box to its desired channel

I have two Zeniths and often record on one and watch TV using the other. How do I do that? I place a piece of thick folded paperboard across the front of the Zenith that is recording to cover the remote sensor. That way only the second box connected to the TV responds to the remote. Test thoroughly to make sure that the remote sensor is truly blocked. I have become quite comfortable with this system though initially it was a bit stressful. Good luck!
post #646 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Theoretically one can also use polarizing tape, but I've never managed to get that to work, so I didn't want to suggest it.

Besides, it would have to be a serious annoyance to remember which box responds when the remote is held sideways and which responds when the remote is held normally, let alone to press the buttons (especially if you don't have them committed to memory yet and have to look) while you're holding the remote sideways.

I'll agree with Golinux about keeping the one connected to the VCR blocked with heavy cardboard; you do not want to change the CECB's channel by accident while it's feeding a VCR.
post #647 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
One other pitfall which I learned the hard way is to always mute using the TV controls not the converter box. A couple of times I had a phone call, hit the Zenith mute and ended up with only video on the tape. Hopefully, lesson learned.
post #648 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the easy solutions! Common sense rules! I am learning the hard way when it comes to this whole Digital-to-Analog conversion process. This forum is great!
post #649 of 2239 Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I use two Zeniths in the same room with a single remote between them. These Zeniths are about five feet apart. I aim the remote in a different direction or shield the signals. If that is not always possible I manually turn one on and control it with the remote and when it is powered off the other Zenith is powered on. This routine takes a little practice.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #650 of 2239 Old 07-27-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Try using (for example) 161 for 6.1, 162 for 6.2, etc.

Starting with a zero won't usually work, because it won't take - it'll drop it.

With my E85H and my DTV Pal, that works, but once you get to 10, you have to put the next number in line for the first digit in there instead. For example, 10.1 is 201. 53.2 is 632. If the actual first digit doesn't work (101 for 10.1, 532 for 53.2), then try that.

Nope, on the Zenith 161 brings up 16.1, which is consistant with its logic.

Quote:

That's a subsequent step in the logic, though. When you entered 42 with no leading zero and no period, the box tried for 42 rather than 4.2; then it looked in its table and translated 42 into 29.1. But for what we were discussing above, the significant part is that it read "42" as 42, not as 4.2. It wouldn't have translated 4.2 (if you had keyed "4" "." "2" or "0" "4" "2") to 29.1, and that's how you knew that it read "4" "2" as 42.

Yep, thats what I meant by a "Channel List" in the previous post. "Channel List" = "Table".
But the other quirk in its logic is that if for some reason, a previously weak channel not in the table becomes strong, and if you key in the number for that stations real frequency thinking you will get station-subchannel (like you previously did), then it will translate and add to the table the new virtual station number which is totally different from anything. This can be quite confusing to Tivo programming and eighty year old ladies.
The darn remote just tries to be too clever, heh.
post #651 of 2239 Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt View Post

There isn't a CESB box out there that would be able to do this because it would require an additional NTSC tuner in the box, which would also make it ineligible for the coupon program, too.

I know, but some people that don't know any better still ask if they can do that. That's why that information was included.

Some people think they are going to be able to do that with a CECB, and are disappointed to find out after the fact.
post #652 of 2239 Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post

I just got my DTVPal today and it isnt a brick...it's a detachable power cord. .

It's a brick. also called a "wall wort" and holds the AC-to-DC transformer.

I compared my DTVpal versus Zenith yesterday (using rooftop antenna). Zenith tuned 8 stations. DTVpal tuned 14 stations! That included some I've never seen before from Philthadelphia like 35 (independent) and 61 (ion/qubo/life/worship).

The DTVpal fell on its face when I used a set-top antenna.
Only got 2 stations. I think the DTVpal is more sensitive to
weak signals, but it fails to handle multipath as well as Zenith does (5 stations).
post #653 of 2239 Old 07-29-2008, 07:22 AM

not bad, 43 channels in bay area, same as with the dt900 i have.
post #654 of 2239 Old 07-29-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

My hometown RS was out of the Zenith converters so I went to the one near where I work. They had the Digital Stream, but not the Zenith. When I asked the sales guy when they would be getting more of the Zenith, he told me that RS doesn't carry them anymore. I told him that my local one still had a place on the shelf for them and he said it was because my local RS is a franchise and they can still get them. I called my local RS and they said they are trying to get them but are having a hard time. Can anyone confirm that RS is no longer carrying the Zenith CECB? It doesn't show up on the RS web site either.
BTW, CC is a 78 mile round trip for me.
post #655 of 2239 Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 AM

I'm kinda cross-posting (Cross-pasting actually) from the sticky thread for best/worst voting.
But this answers the above question.

Please note that the initial part of the conversation is concerning the cost of the Digital Stream DTX-9950, but I went on to talk about my 9950 going up in smoke and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski
$70.00? Yikes. Last time I looked at the RS here, which was probably about 3 weeks ago, they were only asking $49.99 for it.

$59.99 @ R.S. Houston Texas & Online (+ $5.99 one year in store replacement policy)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3150939

Quote From WebPage:
"Please note: Coupon can only be used in-store or through the toll-free number. Coupon cannot be redeemed on RadioShack.com."

While at the store though, they can have it shipped right to your door for no additional charge. So if they don't have it, you can still use the coupon, pay the diff., and it will ship free. Don't forget the $5.99 one year in store swap plan though...

Note: I have been worked with a supervisor at the distribution center in Fort Worth Texas. Two full trucks of Zenith DTT-901's (15-193) with pass-through just went out to stores Wed 07-16-08. I had one with my name on it shipped to my local store to replace a Digital Stream DTX-9950 that went up in smoke... Sigh...

So if your 9950 doesn't quite work out, talk to the store manager about a swap to a Zenith DTT-901 if you want. They ARE allowed to swap out for these within 90 days. (My one year in store swap plan will be retained as well...)

Edit: Mines sitting in the store until I can get to it on the 4th of next month...
Edit#2: Just got my R.S. salepaper...all antenna's (In&Out) 25% off while buying the CECB box.

James Clerk Maxwell spins in his grave,
not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #656 of 2239 Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your input. Still confused as a search on RS.com for product code 15-193 has no exact match but shows the 2 Digital Stream models and the DTT900, but no DTT901.
post #657 of 2239 Old 07-29-2008, 10:50 AM

Yeah, thats the stupid part....

The website no longer has the 901 (15-193) on it, only the 900 (15-148) last I checked. Call and ask your local store manager if he'll sell you it if it magicly arrived with your name on it...get the store number (xx-xxxx).

Then PM me, I may be able to steer one your way while I am still a recent memory in this distribution supervisers post-it note collection...

James Clerk Maxwell spins in his grave,
not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #658 of 2239 Old 07-30-2008, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Right after the 901 model hit the market, I read some early reviews here at AVS Forum that when compared with the 900 model, the 900 was better at decoding very weak DTV signals than the 901. As a DTV DXer for almost seven years, I was curious about this, since I already owned the 900. I recently purchased the 901 and after conducting several side-by-side tests using a very weak DTV station @ 59 miles and five DTV stations @ 101-103 miles, every one of these stations decoded first with the 900. The 901 always lagged behind. At times, the 901 did not decode the weakest stations at all.

My advice, after reading the previous reviews, and now seeing it for myself, is to purchase the 900 model (if you can still find one) if you live in a weak DTV signal area. If you really need the RF pass through feature for some LP analog stations after 2/17/09, then purchase the 901 if you can afford to lose a little signal strength for the DTV stations.

Steve
post #659 of 2239 Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich View Post

My advice, after reading the previous reviews, and now seeing it for myself, is to purchase the 900 model (if you can still find one) if you live in a weak DTV signal area.

Thanks for the testing and advice.

There are still a few DTT900s on sale on amazon, but they are listed under the "LG DTT901" model.
post #660 of 2239 Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 AM

Some of you may already know this can happen, but it took me by surprise.

I was watching Ch 9 in DC (RF ch 34), when Ch 35, WYBE in Philadelphia (also RF ch 34) took its place. Without me doing anything, the dx station had also replaced the local in my channel list! Ch 9 and its subchannels were deleted and Ch 35 was added.

Thinking about this, it is reasonable for the DTT901's software to do this. If you moved to a new city, you'd like the new locals to replace the old ones in your list (where their rf channels were the same, I mean).

The same thing could happen when the unit is on but unattended. If you find that one of your regular stations has vanished from your list, check the channel list for a new entry, quite possible with "no signal" most of the time. I expect that the regular station may return the favor as soon as its signal is locked in once more. So, both "kick-outs" may happen before you sit down to watch again, and you wouldn't even know it.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page