11Likes

post #721 of 2288 Old 08-17-2008, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiquiri View Post

Since we know the DTT901 is working over the RCA cables, you most likely are not selecting the proper RF input & channel combination on your TV.

You do realize that digital tuning requires the DTT901 to be ON (blue light) and analog pass through requires the DTT901 to be OFF (red light) ? It cannot do both at once.

When in pass through mode (which you say works) tune from one of your normal analog channels to CH3. You should not have any signal, if you do what is it ? If no signal, leave the TV on CH3 and turn on the DTT901. After a few seconds you should see the DTT901's digital tuning output.

If you do not see the DTT901 output, switch your TV to it's other RF input (you indicated it had two of them). Do you see it there ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tried to go through all the inputs and none worked.
The other RF is the one that says converter but it's a cable converter not a converter box. It doesn't work. I can choose any of the 4 on the big screen or PIP and can swap them. (make PIP large and big screen small)
I really love this TV and would love for it to continue working like it does. Channel 3 always shows no signal. I can however go through VCR, DVD, Video 3 and Video 4. They were showing no signal, also. On the RCA cables the DVD showed the menu and then scanned in the digital stations. On the coax nothing works.

You don't seem to realize that you can have both cables from the DTT901 to the TV hooked up at the same time. You need the coax cable for analog pass through (APT) when the converter box is off (red light). Apparently you've had success using the RCA cables connected to the DVD jacks on your TV to get the converter box signal (when blue light is on) to display on your TV. When you are getting the DTT901 signal to your TV, you should press the MENU button on the DTT901's remote so you can check to see whether channel 3 or 4 is designated for the coax connection. Ask if you don't know how to do this, as I don't currently have a DTT901 connected to my TV. Once you get things configured correctly, you should get the functionality you are used to. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2288 Old 08-17-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

Just checking that you have everything coordinated . . .

For RF digital with Zenith ON (blue) use channel 3 (or 4), select the TV input and change channels via Zenith tuner.

For digital RCA with Zenith ON (blue), select VIDEO input and change channels via Zenith tuner.

For APT with Zenith OFF (red) use RF connection, TV input and change channels with the TV tuner.

Just to clarify the above, if you prefer the picture you get with the RCA cables for your digital reception (works better for me), you'll want to keep both the RCA and RF cables be connected - i.e. no, there's no need to go connecting & disconnecting cables whenever you make a switch between viewing analog & digital. To do that, it's simply a matter of turning the Zenith on or off.

Though I've set-up (per included instructions) the Zenith's remote to turn the tv on & off, I keep my old remote handy for the rare occasions when I want to watch something on analog - to take my tv off of a 'Video' input setting (if there's a button for this on the Zenith remote, I missed the info when reading the instructions?) & then I can change channels etc. using either remote.

For anyone new coming on here who's just setting-up their Zenith (or any digital box) for the first time, yes, you must tune your tv to either channel 3 or 4, or to a Video setting, initially using either your old remote, or buttons on the tv set, in order for your tv to allow digital signals to be viewed. When you find the right setting for your tv, the setup instructions will appear & you can go from there. Things go much better if you at least skim through the instruction booklet, as there are things you'll probably want to set using the menu which aren't in the initial setup, or you may want to make one or more changes at a later time. Not to mention that the booklet tells you how you can set the Zenith remote control to turn your tv on & off.
post #723 of 2288 Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaTrina View Post

. . . there's no need to go connecting & disconnecting cables whenever you make a switch between viewing analog & digital . . .

Mais oui! Just remember to have the TV remote handy to tune the analog TV channels via APT after you turn off the Zenith. I have quite a lineup of remotes with the Zenith, two VCRs and the TV. I've gotten quite efficient at going back and forth between the various options available though it was a bit confusing at first. I'm still wondering how the technically challenged are going to be able to figure all this out. My feeling is that the paid services are salivating at the thought!
post #724 of 2288 Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 AM

I have a Symphony One that is such a pain I'd rather line up the remotes. I will try all these remedies the first chance I get. Meanwhile I am at work.
As to all the paid companies...I'm tempted I love my Sony and the PIP...also love the VCR hate the idea of DVD-RAM.
I have set up the computer to record to it's harddrive.
post #725 of 2288 Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Liked: 11
Finally got a chance to buy the DTT901. I know they "fixed" the audio level issue, so I am curious to see what they did. This is all using the RCA output, not RF.

The level between mono/stereo is identical now. However, the volume level at 100% IMHO is way higher than what it should be. 75% seems to be a more appropriate level and match the DTT900 and my other equipments.

On the DTT900, the volume level is really a volume limiter. 100% is pass through, ie, no adjustment to the sound, anything else lowers the volume.

On the DTT901, it's now a limiter, and an amplifier. Level lower than 75% will reduce the volume, while higher than 75% will amplify the signal.

Personally I prefer the 900's implementation. I want a pure signal to feed to my sound system, and 100% gives me that, no if or else. On the 901, it's less obvious what the pass through setting is. (75% is what I think it is using my equipment).

Has anyone compared the volume level of 901 to that of a flat panel TV with optical sound output? (At a setting which the optical out level is not amplified nor reduced) My Samsung DTB260's volume level does not affect the optical out, so I consider it a reference level and is what I used to compare to the 901.
post #726 of 2288 Old 08-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:

I have a Symphony One that is such a pain I'd rather line up the remotes. I will try all these remedies the first chance I get. Meanwhile I am at work.
As to all the paid companies...I'm tempted I love my Sony and the PIP...also love the VCR hate the idea of DVD-RAM.
I have set up the computer to record to it's harddrive.

daiquiri,
Is your system with DTV converter box working for you as it should. How do you like it.
post #727 of 2288 Old 08-19-2008, 01:56 AM

Not yet. I haven't had the time to try the recos of all these nice people, yet. I will the first chance I get and let you all know how it worked.
post #728 of 2288 Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

From your post, you indicated that your display unit has the following INPUTS:

RF #1
RF #2
VCR (Video 1 - usually has S-Video option)
DVD (Video 2)
Video 3
Video 4

I wouldn't even bother with the APT option. Use a 4-way splitter and run two legs to the RF inputs and two legs to the CECB's. Then, run RCA cables from both boxes to Video 3 & 4, respectfully (save the S-Video (video 1) for a unit that has a S-Video output). You'll then have the ability to do PiP with two analog, or two digital channels, or a digital and analog channel.

Are there any recording devices (DVD, Blu-Ray, DVR, or video servers) with this configuration? If so, and they do not have ATSC tuners, you'll need a converter box for each of these.
post #729 of 2288 Old 08-20-2008, 03:26 AM

Systems2000 that's what I was going for. I am using one splitter for the PC which has a tv tuner in it...can I combine 2 splitters (only 4 outputs) using a coax for the second RF is something I didn't figure upon.

I had bought 2 DTT901 and now I may try to connect both. I will control the PIP with the TV remote and have them both on at the same time. Do you think it will work?
post #730 of 2288 Old 08-20-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I had bought 2 DTT901 and now I may try to connect both. I will control the PIP with the TV remote and have them both on at the same time. Do you think it will work?

If you want to use both DTT901s at the same time in the same room, you'll need to isolate them so that they don't both respond to every command from the remote. Otherwise, when you select ch 2.1 on one, both boxes will go to ch 2.1, for example.
post #731 of 2288 Old 08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...can I combine 2 splitters (only 4 outputs) using a coax for the second RF is something I didn't figure upon.

It all depends upon your antenna setup. Does your PC/TV connect directly to the antenna? Or, do you have a pre-amp and/or a Distribution Amplifier (DA) before the 2-way splitter? There are DA's with four outputs, that you can put before the 2-way.

Current recommendation on multiple CECB's, in the same room, is to purchase two competing brands like a CM7000 or the APEX DT250/DT502 to go along with your Zenith.
post #732 of 2288 Old 08-21-2008, 12:46 AM

No amp the PC is connected right to the antenna.
I have till November before the coupon expires so I have time before I have to buy a second converter for the Sony.
post #733 of 2288 Old 08-23-2008, 10:37 AM

I have hooked up the DDT901 with both the coax and the RCA cables and it's great. I have PIP and it's on VIDEO3. And analog pass through as well. Impressive reception on the DDT901.
I need to figure which of the two remaining connections is the RF. One is marked to converter (which i think is for the cable box which i don't have). Don't know what the other is. I have another DDT901 (and another analog TV and another Panasonic DVR/VCR). I think I should hook this one up, too, and see if both will work...course I have to put this one out of range of the other.
I have hooked up two splitters and it seems okay.
This is alot of work...da*n govt!!

I haven't a clue how to hook up the Symphony 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #734 of 2288 Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Congrats! Just double checking . . . you do know that the coax is connected to the RF inputs/outputs, right?
post #735 of 2288 Old 08-23-2008, 04:04 PM

All the coax are connected to the splitter off the antenna. The RCAs are connecting the dvr/vcr and the converter to the TV. Works perfectly. I didn't get the other DDT901 hooked up yet.
post #736 of 2288 Old 08-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

You'll need to hook up the RF connections in addition to the RCA if you want to use the analog pass through.
post #737 of 2288 Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 PM

daiquiri,

What is a Symphony One? I tried googling it, but I couldn't wade through all the music links and find out what it is...

"need to figure which of the two remaining connections is the RF. One is marked to converter..."

What model Sony Wega TV do you have?

I ask because older model TV's had a built-in powered splitter on the RF's F-Connector antenna/cable input jack.

The splitter would feed right back out a second RF jack marked "To Converter" to feed a cable box for decrypting pay TV channels.

The second side of the internal powered splitter would feed to an internal RF switch to choose between the original feed on the first jack and the pay TV comming in a third jack marked "From Converter" with a matching button on the reomote marked "Pay" or "Cable" or something like that.

Kinda like those early audio receivers that had the ability to introduce a graphic equalizer into the signal path by providing an external "Loop".

So connecting the Zenith DTT-90x might be better achieved this way.

Connect your antenna to the usual first jack you always used.

Connect the second TV jack marked "To Converter" to the Zenith input.

Connect the thrid TV jack marked "From Converter" to the Zenith out

And finally, connect the TV's PIP input to the Zenith's Yellow RCA video out (along with the two audio;s if that TV supports PIP pic swap).

Now you can use your TV to tune as normal.
Use the Zenith to go full screen by using the "Pay" or "Cable" button on your remote.
And still use the Zenith to feed the PIP as well double-duty (with pic swap if that TV supports it).

I would need that TV's model number to get that models PDF manual to be sure about all this. But basicly, if your TV has a jack marked "To/From Converter" it is ALREADY an APT unit.

Fitting a recorder into this path would be next...

James Clerk Maxwell spins in his grave,
not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #738 of 2288 Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

post #739 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 12:15 AM

WeThePeople
The WEGA TV is KV-27FS200
I will have the "to converter" coaxed to the second converter.
I have the first DDT901 coaxed from the splitter and coaxed into the TV as well as the RCA cables and the analog pass through works as well as the PIP. It's on Video 3.
I started to hook up the second DDT901 converter and got side tracked by life...and all those cables! This will end up on the RCA TV when I get it figured out. But I figured I'd try it on the second PIP and see if it will work.
I read the manual that said the AUX RF would not work the PIP so I decided the "to converter" RF was the one to connect to the second converter
There is no "from converter"...unless that's the AUX.
Thanks everyone. Without you I would never have figured this out. D*mn govt!!!
I have a Panasonic DVR/VCR that is digital/analog/QAM that is hooked up to the antenna splitter and to the TV via RCA cables. Works fine.

Logitech makes a series of remotes that control everything in the house. Got the top of the line..Harmony One as a gift..don't know how I renamed it Symphony One but I am blond, you know. I needed customer service to get the TV, DVR, VCR set up. Thought I had killed the thing. Can't phathom the converter, the coming second converter and the PC Hauppauge TV Tuner.

BTW, anyone have a suggestion for the second converter on the Wega? Don't know which one to buy.
post #740 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 12:33 AM

Systems 2000,
Both DVR/VCR are Panasonics and have digital, analog and QAM tuners. I bought them knowing about this change. They get connected to the antenna. Not sure how the RCA is going to work with the converter. I have only one RF and one set of RCA cables on the RCA TV. Right now the antenna goes to the Panasonic and the coax goes to the TV. If I want the converter to work the TV when the Panasonic is off how do I hook this one up? I bought the splitter and figured I'd hook one coax to the Panasonic, and the other to the converter. The coax goes from Panasonic to the TV. Should I hook up the Panasonic via the RCA and the converter via the coax to the TV?
post #741 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:

WeThePeople
The WEGA TV is KV-27FS200

1 - There is no "from converter"...unless that's the AUX.

2 - Logitech makes a series of remotes that control everything in the house.
Got the top of the line..Harmony One as a gift..
don't know how I renamed it Symphony One but I am blond, you know.

3 - BTW, anyone have a suggestion for the second converter on the Wega?
Don't know which one to buy.

Thank you, I now have several PDF manuals for your Sony product here.

1 - Yes, "AUX" is the "Converter In". The button is two up form the numeric 2,3 ones labeled "ANT".

2 - No wonder I couldn't find a "Symphony One" ...

3 - Channel Master CM-7000, best one with an S-Video output. (Use Sony "Video 1" input).

Your TV has the ability to use an S-Video cable on the "Video 1" input on the back (Round multi-pin DIN plug). That would be best fed by the Channel Master CM-7000. I've owned the Zenith DTT-901 too and it is nice, but I traded mine for a second CM-7000 so I have two now. It also has a Composite (Yellow ) RCA out like you've been playing with as well so you can double duty it as a PIP input device if you put "Y" adapters in the left and right audio cords at the two inputs (1&3 as example). And of course the least quality out RF F-Connector jacks are provided too. All three outputs are live at the same time on the CM-7000. This all gets confusing fast though because the Sony is already a dual-tuner TV for that PIP feature. Selecting the appropriate input to overide one of the tuners can be challanging to remember each time.

S-Video (DIN) = full screen = best resolution wire to use (on CECB's)
Composite (1 RCA) = PIP = Second best resolution wire to use
RF TV-Out = lowest resolution wire to use (Not used in this example)

But I'd like to steer your attention to the back of your TV to the "Video 4" (Y/Pb/Pr) Input (TV/SAT remote button).
That is a Component video input set. Note that there are three RCA jacks for video unlike the one RCA jack for inputs 1 and 3 (and 2 on the front...).

The panasonic DVR and/or VCR unit might have those outputs. That is the best quality interconnect style of video available to you on your TV. That you mentioned Clear-QAM indicates they should be HDTV devices.

Also the Panasonic's are (most likely) not "Crippled" to a standard definition signal like all these CECB (Coupon Eligible Converter Box) have to be to meet the criteria for the government coupons. If you have the three Component outputs on a Panasonic, and they get the new ATSC digital (X.1, X.2, X.3, Etc.) channels you really should scrap the idea of using CECB boxes entirely in favor of the superior tuner outputs on the Panasonic. The "Swap" picture feature is why you can use other than RF inputs fullscreen.

Even if they don't have Component (3 RCA) outputs and you have to use S-Video (DIN )video to connect them them to your TV, the Panasonic processes at least twice the resolution (1080i) of the DTT-901 or CM-7000 if it is an ATSC receiver.

I say this because there are even higher resolution connectors on HDTV equipment these days that your TV won't accept as input. If they aren't too new they may have the intermediatory-stage analog Componnent (3 RCA) outputs.

The S-Video doesn't have it's signal "Capped" like the single yellow RCA Composite video does (color carrier rejection @ 3.58-Mhz) so you do get a slightly better picture using S-Video. Your TV does have a 3-Line Comb Filter though, so it isn't that huge a deald for you.

But I bet if you supply the model numbers of those two panasonic's, I will find at least the DVD one might have Component outputs.

Now the rules become:

Component (3 RCA's) = full screen = best resolution wire to use (Panasonic(s) ???)
S-Video (DIN) = PIP = best resolution wire to use (CM-7000)
-OR-
Composite (1 RCA) = PIP = Second best resolution wire to use (DTT-901)

RF TV-Out = lowest resolution wire to use (Not used in this example)

Oh, and "blond" (Blonde) doesn't count unless your a female...

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Doppler Effect: Effect of stupid ideas appearing smarter when they come at you rapidly!
post #742 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been looking through an almost overwhelming number of posts here. I am interested in buying a Zenith DTT901. I gather that they are carried at:

-Radio Shack (some not all?)

-Circuit City

Are there other brick and mortar stores that carry these? I would prefer not to buy online. Also, is the price $59.99 everywhere. I vaguely recall seeing a post that these were at Kmart for $49.99, but I can't seem to locate that post right now. I did call a local Kmart and they said that they didn't carry the Zenith DTT901.

http://www.zenith.com/products/set-t...er-box/DTT901/
post #743 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 08:33 AM

HHGregg carries it if you have one near you.
post #744 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 AM

Panasonic DMR-EZ47V connected to Sony
Panasonic DMR-EZ485V connected to RCA TV which is F27440.

I am using the S video to connect the Panasonic to the Sony Wega TV. Panasonic coax goes to antenna and RCA cables and S video to TV.

Converter box 1 (DTT 901) hooked up coax to antenna in and out RF to TV, RCA to TV

The Aux does not support PIP.
I was planning to use the second RF (which says to converter) for the second converter box. I can use the RCAs for that too.

I thought CM-7000, also...no APT right? For now not usable after Feb 2009 it will be okay. The analog stations that will be around after 2/09 aren't usable for me so I just need APT till then.
I need the converters for when the Panasonic is recording and I want to watch other stations on the Wega.
If I cannot hook up the Panasonic and the converter separately on the RCA TV I will try and trade the Zenith DDT901 for a CM-7000.
The RCA TV only has 1RF and 1 set of RCA (on front) I have antenna in to Panasonic DVR/VCR and RF out to TV. Not using RCA plugs.

I'm not using the coax connectors or the RCA jacks that came with either DDT 901 Threw the batteries out, too. Too poor quality to use.

Sorry about the Symphony I am blondE...female!
post #745 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 10:44 AM

Thank you,

DMR-EZ47V
http://www.panasonic.com.au/products...?objectID=3982
PDF Manual
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...REZ47V-MUL.PDF

Oddly, I could not find anything but a few FAQ's in america on this one. I had to go to the Australia site to get info. Odd.

Your DMR-EZ47V is a rather nice item. Dual-layer DivX enabled DVD-RAM, +, and - supporting progressive DVD recorder/player. Has nice features like DV in, etc.
It does have Component video outputs, and (for you currently) an unusable HDMI one.
So that would be the preferable way to connect to "Input 4 - Y/Pb/Pr" on your Sony TV for best picture between the two.
But it only does 480i and 480p though.
(It does however do 1080p "Up-Conversion" with HDMI...)
Small note: It only does broadcast ATSC, not cable Clear-QAM digital.

DMR-EZ485V
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

PDF Manual
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...REZ48V-MUL.PDF

Memory cards, USB ports, dual-layer, DVD-RAM, MP3, DivX, ATSC+Clear-QAM...
You sure your blonde? (Another nice unit).
This has Component Y/Pb/Pr outputs too. But this one says it passes 1080i on it at least. Though it is not clear if that includes ATSC 1080i or only DVD.

Gosh...putting these two in the same room with any CECB
is like parking a Volkswagon next to two Rolls Royce's.

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #746 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
In case you can't find the Zenith box, the Insignia box (NS-DXA1-APT) is its electronic equivalent. Same box, different name on the front, and it's stacked up at your nearest Best Buy.
post #747 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Jim1348,

Call your closest Radio Shack and ask for the full name of the store manager, and the store number (xx-xxxx)

Radio Shack Distribution Centers
http://www.jobsatradioshack.com/dist...facturing.html
Call the Fort Worth one.

The day I called they had two truckfuls comming through, I had mine at the store in under a week.

Call and say you need a replacement 15-193 shipped to your local R.S. store to replace one for a one year in-store replacement plan. Give them the store number, manager's name, and of course yours... They email ahead to the store manager that it is comming as confirmation btw.

They will ear-mark one for you and ship it next truckful.

Then pay the $5.99 when you pick it up so you can bring it back for an in-store swap anytime during the next year.

You still have thirty days to return it, and ninety days to swap it for anything else in the store if it doesn't work out for you that way...

I used direct to home shipping (free) for my first box. Had to go to the store only because of that darned coupon.

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
post #748 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 AM

jim, you can just go to your local circuit city to get a zenith dtt901...they should have plenty. Or go to best buy and get the insignia like inundated said.
post #749 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 11:38 AM

OK...tomorrow I look for yellow, blue and green cables. Do I hook up the RF too? S cable? From Panasonic to TV? or do I hook up the S cable to the CM-7000 when I buy it?
Can I leave the DTT 901 hooked up as it is? RF in from antenna, RF out and RCA composits to TV?
I'm using the VCR right now from the Panasonic but will use the DVR when Feb 2009 comes around...do I leave it hooked up the way it is now and change it to the blue, yellow and red on 2/17/09?

I know a little about T1s, integrated T1s, VoIP and Cisco, Nortel and ShoreTel, too. Still blonde, though.
I need to buy DVD-RAM disks too..found some Fuji online really cheap.
post #750 of 2288 Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Just the three video as a set, and a second lead for L+R audio.

Don't let the colors be your buying decision, choosing a nice quality Red, White, Yellow set intended for "Composite with L+R audio" will do fine. As long as all three wires are the same size and the cable & connectors are of good quality. Just duplicate your efforts on each end when you plug them in.
You won't belive the difference in picture first DVD you put in.

The rest of your (901) connections become a matter of taste.
The manual is so vague on the PIP "Swap" feature that you'll have to try inputs to see which will "Swap". Can't help there. But a Channel Master CM-7000 via S-Video Yellow, Red, White is your best secondary input choice for just watching while that Rolls Royce records.

not along his long axis,
but head over heel
We The People
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page