Following is a mix of interesting information about the DTT901:
1) Yesterday I bought two DTT901 at CC in north Dallas, TX
The store had a mix of 900 and 901, all from April 2008 (except one 900 from December 2007.. hope nobody will fall for this one.)
The 901s were marked:
I saw there boxes with serial numbers starting with 470, 471, 472, 473 and 474, all with the same 'series' number. As was mentioned here before about the 900s, the 2 letters before the 470 did not seem to make a difference.
2) I am very happy with these boxes. I am over 40miles from the towers, and got all the channels my $200 Samsung SIR-T451 (2 year old HD Tuner) is getting, which means (almost) all of the available channels. From my 2+ years experience with HDTV: antenna type, antenna location, direction and height are crucial to getting better reception. Especially when using an indoors antenna.
3) I did not notice any difference between the mono and stereo audio settings (with RCA cables). The sound level was the same as the Samsung box. The comparison some people did before with analog vs digital, blaming the box for lower volume is incorrect. Even with cable connected to HDTV with QAM tuner, the audio level of the analog channels is higher than the digital ones (for the same station).
4) For the past week I kept searching cc website to see if they got any DTT901, but I kept getting "Sorry, we found no matches for DTT901". Thanks the prior posts here I went to cc store to see if they got them. The UPC barcode on the 900 and 901 is different (last digits) but the cash register receipt still reads "ZEN DTT900" on the 901s..
5) Regarding the tuner: according to the FCC documents LG filed, the 901 is NOT a new box they are going to sell, but rather a 'Permissive Change' to the existing one. The only technical change listed is the use of (LG) TDVG-H151F tuner instead of the (LG) TDVG-H051F tuner. They do not mention the Sanyo tuner, but since the existing Sanyo does not have APT and since they did not list a new Sanyo tuner, I believe the only tuner we're going to see is TDVG-H151F.
6) This LG pricing sheet I found online explains the 'permissive change' plain and simple. Look at the bottom of the last page. You'll see "DTT900 - Discontinued". Maybe this can help all those with problematic 900s to get a 901 replacement?
7) I was waiting for the DTVpal after all the hype, but not anymore. These boxes work better than I expected, and buying a 2nd gen of a tested device is always better than 1st gen of a 'promised' device. Thanks to all the prior posts here I made an educated choice.