post #1081 of 2287 Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreter View Post

Nope, she is not using an amplified antenna. Can I get those attenuators at Radio Shack?

Here is an example attenuator from solid signal http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=TA-8700

I could not find a variable attenuator at rat shack but I did find a fixed attenuator (6db). Look for part 150-1275A. This one would probably work for you.

Add on: As I recall, your mom is connecting to an antenna system for the building. It is very likely that this antenna has a pre-amp to feed multiple units. It's worth a shot to try an attenuator and radio shack is good about returns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2287 Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Just picked up a DTT901 at Kmart, their regular price was $49.99. Less the $40 coupon was $9.99 and no sales tax. I asked how come no tax & the sales person did not really know & thought maybe because the government was involved. When I bought my CM-7000 from Fry's a few months ago they did charge tax on the full amount. So who knows what's going on with tax.

I called CC because they were located closer than Kmart, but the person I spoke with said they would not price match on the converter. My guess is they would probably charge sales tax too. I say this because IIRC my friend was charged tax on DTT901s from CC.

I tried to find TT901 from the Kmart's web, but I cannot. Has some tried it?
post #1083 of 2287 Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am not surprised. I had posted that same thing a few months back. For whatever reason they carry them at their stores, but do not have them listed on line. Go figure.
post #1084 of 2287 Old 12-05-2008, 09:09 PM

I purchased a DTT901 at Circuit City, and it works acceptably for DTV. It picks up the same channels at my dad's house as his Samsung SIR-T451, and changes channels much faster, so no complaints there. Picture quality is not as good, but is decent for composite (the Samsung box is connected via S-Video).

The problem is with the analog passthrough. My understanding from the manual is that turning the unit off would enable analog passthrough, but that is not the case with my unit. The only difference between the box being on or off is the presence or absence of output on ch. 4.

However, if I unplug the box, then analog passthrough works as expected. Just to make sure it wasn't a grounding issue or something, I tested it at my house with rabbit ears and a different TV, and it has the same behavior. Unplugging it to see analog channels is a real pain (especially since our local NBC and ABC channels are LP and thus not switching yet) -- do I have a defective unit, or is that the intended design?

I plan to try to exchange it at CC, unless someone can show me this is the way it's supposed to work.
post #1085 of 2287 Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Are you sure it's not a DTT900 ?
post #1086 of 2287 Old 12-05-2008, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf007 View Post

... do I have a defective unit ...?

Yes, unfortunately, you do.  My DTT901 provides passthrough when it's on standby, just as the manual says it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardly View Post

Are you sure it's not a DTT900 ?

I no longer have a DTT900 but I'm pretty sure that it would still not have done passthrough when it was unplugged, seeing as how it didn't support passthrough at all.
post #1087 of 2287 Old 12-06-2008, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

After 20 years of doing RG-59/RG-6 cable work for data, satellite, and cable companies, I can tell you that most cable prepping done by installers, base the center conductor length on the back side of a set of 9" linesman pliers (8" works too). In other words, place the center conductor through the cutting edges of the pliers so that the fitting is flush to the smooth side of the pliers and then cut the center conductor.
post #1088 of 2287 Old 12-06-2008, 08:17 AM

Sorry, can't resist as chance to cop a movie line.

My bedroom TV is hooked to a 901 with coax only. It does pass through the signal with the unit off, but ISTM that there is some signal loss through the box. Haven't tried it unplugged, though.

Our "big" TV on the same unit was connected through composite, meaning that I could access the TV tuner through Input while leaving the 901 on. But then, I was cheating, since my VCR is running an antenna feed to the TV coax connection. That's probably why my OTA reception is still the same.

I wonder if the pass through feature is fairly cheaply done, since it will be a non-issue for most people after the switch in Feb.
post #1089 of 2287 Old 12-06-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
After this talk about the pass-through, I just played a little bit with my CECB (actually the Insignia version, -APT, identical to the 901)...and I saw no noticeable analog degradation with the box in-line and powered off.

I was even still able to get my one-lung LPTV station on 35! There's a brief "BZZT" when you unplug and plug it back in again, but no picture change...it looks similar to what I'd get if the box wasn't even physically in the chain.
post #1090 of 2287 Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 AM

The Analog Pass Through uses the COAX cable. For my Zenith DTT901 I have connected both cable sets: COAX and RCA r/w/y.
post #1091 of 2287 Old 12-12-2008, 11:24 AM

A friend loaned me a new in box Sept build of the DTT901 to see what signal levels I could get in the boonies. Good news, it has the best sensitivity for pulling in digital channels I have. I have a Viewsonic LCD TV and 3 USB tuners from two different companies to compare it to.

My planned setup for post switch over day was to have two converter boxes connected to aux inputs on my old DVRs set to the two most recorded channels and record everything else on my computer based FreeVo with the multiple USB tuners. This setup requires that the converter boxes stay on all the time just in case the DVR wants to record something. I didn't think this would be a problem with the Zenith.

I set the option to off for Auto/off and the sleep is also set to off. It will stay on all day but shuts down in the middle of the night for some reason. It has done this twice so far(only had it 2 days). Am I missing something on how this unit works or did I borrow a defective unit?

Jeb
post #1092 of 2287 Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JebNY View Post

A friend loaned me a new in box Sept build of the DTT901 to see what signal levels I could get in the boonies. Good news, it has the best sensitivity for pulling in digital channels I have. I have a Viewsonic LCD TV and 3 USB tuners from two different companies to compare it to.

My planned setup for post switch over day was to have two converter boxes connected to aux inputs on my old DVRs set to the two most recorded channels and record everything else on my computer based FreeVo with the multiple USB tuners. This setup requires that the converter boxes stay on all the time just in case the DVR wants to record something. I didn't think this would be a problem with the Zenith.

I set the option to off for Auto/off and the sleep is also set to off. It will stay on all day but shuts down in the middle of the night for some reason. It has done this twice so far(only had it 2 days). Am I missing something on how this unit works or did I borrow a defective unit?

Jeb

Zenith should say ON....

Do you have unit on a UPS?... maybe you are losing power?

post #1093 of 2287 Old 12-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I too decided I'd leave my digital tuners "on" all the time, and back in October, during the height of the new TV season, one Zenith tuner got itself into some weird mode with a frozen, pixelated picture, with blue fields of black text in randon-looking blocks.

As a result, the recordings of a couple of shows were compromised, giving me only sound. It just so happened that I hadn't checked on these recordings in a timely fashion.

What I've learned is to power down the Zenith at least once a week, even for a short time, to give it a reset of sorts. I typically now power it down on Saturday, since I never seem to record anything on that day.

Harry
post #1094 of 2287 Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

I too decided I'd leave my digital tuners "on" all the time, and back in October, during the height of the new TV season, one Zenith tuner got itself into some weird mode with a frozen, pixelated picture, with blue fields of black text in randon-looking blocks.

As a result, the recordings of a couple of shows were compromised, giving me only sound. It just so happened that I hadn't checked on these recordings in a timely fashion.

What I've learned is to power down the Zenith at least once a week, even for a short time, to give it a reset of sorts. I typically now power it down on Saturday, since I never seem to record anything on that day.

Harry

Q: Just wondering- do you have unit plugged into a UPS- that is conditioning the power, protecting unit against brown-outs and over-voltages?

I ask as during the day/night you're going to have periods of dirty power.

The above said- these units do have a embedded "OS" (Operating System) that can crash just like a PC... so it is a good idea to do a hard reset /remove power to unit on a regular basis.

BTW: On the Zenith which was locking up- Please post the production date /SN range...

post #1095 of 2287 Old 12-12-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 View Post

Q: Just wondering- do you have unit plugged into a UPS- that is conditioning the power, protecting unit against brown-outs and over-voltages?

I ask as during the day/night you're going to have periods of dirty power.

No UPS, just a surge protector. I have enough other electronics that would crash if I had a power glitch longer than a fraction of a second that I'm pretty sure it isn't that unless it is very sensitive.

If it drops out again tonight I'll try unplugging it for awhile to reset things. If it still shuts down I guess I will consider it defective if others are not having the problem.

Jeb
post #1096 of 2287 Old 12-12-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've never had mine lock up but my in-laws will if the signal drops too low for an extended period of time. If the tuned station went off the air or the signal degraded in the middle of the night, that could conceivably lock up the box.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #1097 of 2287 Old 12-12-2008, 06:24 PM

OT post-sorry guys:

zaphod7501,

I see in your sign you have a HTPC...I read a post (can't remember where) in which someone was using a DTVPal, tying it in with a old ATI-All-In-One Wonder card... The poster saying (I think) he could control the DTVPal thru the PC???... / See the EPG.

Was that you?

(I ask because I'm wanting to build up a DRM free HD/HTPC)

Any tips would be appreciated ...

TIA!

post #1098 of 2287 Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

BTW: On the Zenith which was locking up- Please post the production date /SN range...

The one that locked up was a March 2008 build so actually it's a 900 and not a 901. I have no need of the pass-through feature on this particular box hooked up to my DVR.

Harry
post #1099 of 2287 Old 12-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebNY View Post

If it drops out again tonight I'll try unplugging it for awhile to reset things. If it still shuts down I guess I will consider it defective if others are not having the problem.
Jeb

Well it has held power on for over 24 hours now and counting. Maybe it was just a fluke that it shutoff the first 2 times.

Jeb
post #1100 of 2287 Old 12-13-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

OT post-sorry guys:

zaphod7501,

I see in your sign you have a HTPC...I read a post (can't remember where) in which someone was using a DTVPal, tying it in with a old ATI-All-In-One Wonder card... The poster saying (I think) he could control the DTVPal thru the PC???... / See the EPG.

Was that you?

(I ask because I'm wanting to build up a DRM free HD/HTPC)

Any tips would be appreciated ...

TIA!

I do all of my recording with PCs and have added a pair of DTT901s to the mix. I use Hauppauge tuner/capture cards but any hardware encoding card should work. I think this includes the ATI cards. In order to control the box externally, you need a "Blaster" and guide software. I don't bother myself. I just leave the CECB on the desired channel and record the line input at the appropriate time. Picking the Zenith boxes was an inadvertent good choice from a heat and stability standpoint as it turns out.

My Hauppauge cards are available with a blaster and software to use TitanTV's guide but the Hauppauge software is crud. I don't think they have updated their software to include codes for the CECBs so using their guide won't work for me anyway. You're probably in the same boat with the ATI.

I think the ATI is a hardware encoding card (I don't know if it has it's own blaster) so you could buy a USBUIRT Blaster/Receiver device and use it with software like GB-PVR to control the box. (USBUIRT can learn commands and GB-PVR can interface with it.)

I don't use EPGs at all. I prefer manual scheduling. My signals are local and distant OTA and cable. No guide can integrate all three. My HTPCs aren't traditional. I use hardware encoding/decoding whenever possible. (MyHD, Hollywood Plus, Hauppauge tuners)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #1101 of 2287 Old 12-13-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The Apex 502 changes channels with it's reminder function. May work well with a computer capture card. I need to try mine out with my HVR 1600. BTW, Zaphod's a great video resource guy, met him over on the video redo forums.
post #1102 of 2287 Old 12-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Wanted to pass this along, for folks like me who don't have a K-Mart nearby. The Zenith 901 is on sale at Radio Shack for $54.95, as well as the DigitalStream 9550 for the same price. They even price-matched the 9550 I bought two weeks ago at the regular price, so I got five bucks refunded on it.
post #1103 of 2287 Old 12-16-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

The Apex 502 changes channels with it's reminder function. May work well with a computer capture card. I need to try mine out with my HVR 1600. BTW, Zaphod's a great video resource guy, met him over on the video redo forums.

IDRick, appreciate your and zaphod7501's input on building up a HD HTPC, with the possibly of integrating $40 NITA Coupon type CECB DTV STB type tuners such as the Zenith DTT901, Zinwell 970A/950A, Apex DT502 in some way... as a way of VCR type time-shifting (recording).

That said- I would assuming using a true HD tuner would give much better results.

I'm torn between the following:

A: Philips 3576 / Magnavox H2160 recorder (ASTC built-in-160gb hd, and DVD burner- Alas this unit down-converting HD into SD)

B: DTVPal DVR (HD)

C: HD HTPC - with a dedicated tuner card.

D: SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital Tuner (Network Tuner)

* Supports ATSC over-the-air digital TV (USA/Canada).
* Supports ClearQAM unencrypted digital cable (USA/Canada).
* Streams full broadcast resolution, up to 1080i high definition without degrading the quality.
* Multiple computers can use the HDHomeRun - tuners are automatically allocated as needed.
* Multiple HDHomeRun units can be used together to expand the number of tuners.

Seamless operation with multiple computers: ¶

* Run Vista Media Center on multiple computers sharing the pool of HDHomeRun tuners.
* Tuners are automatically allocated between computers on a first-come first-served basis.
* Tuner pooling works with Windows Media Center, BeyondTV, SageTV, GBPVR, MediaPortal, and TotalMedia.
* Free software/firmware upgrade available for download.

Works with popular DVR software: ¶

* Pause, rewind, fast-forward live TV.
* Record all your favorite TV shows by name.
* Integrated TV guide (provided by the DVR software).

Compatible With: ¶

* Windows Media Center:
o MCE 2005 32-bit
o MCE 2005 64-bit
o Vista MCE 32-bit
o Vista MCE 64-bit
* Elgato EyeTV - DVR for Mac
* MythTV - DVR for Linux
* SnapStream BeyondTV - DVR for Windows
* SageTV - DVR for Windows
* MediaPortal - DVR for Windows
* GB-PVR - DVR for Windows
* VLC - Multi-platform media viewer
* TSReader - MPEG-2 transport stream analysis

Specifications: ¶

* 8-VSB (ATSC over-the-air digital TV)
* QAM64/256 (unencrypted digital cable TV)
* IR Receiver (signal PC with a standard remote control)
* 100baseTX high speed network
* 1 year warranty

Requirements: ¶

* 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 (or similar) for HD playback
* 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
* 1-4 GB per 1/2 hour of DTV recording

(Sorry for posting the Specs on the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital Tuner guys.... but that unit sounds pretty good to me... Dual tuners and you can access it /record to /from from ANY PC on your network!)

Getting back to the CECB's which down-convert HD into SD:

You mentioned the APEX D502 changing channels with it's reminder function and possibly tying in with your HVR-1600...

Please post your findings in the DT502 thread, or link to whenever you posting your findings as I'm sure others would be interested!.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055421

PS: So as to not get this thread off-topic again... got a link to the "video redo forums" you mentioned?

post #1104 of 2287 Old 12-16-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi, haven't gotten around to recording from the Apex 502 to the hvr 1600 capture card. I'll report back when I've had a chance to play with the two. A URL for video redo: http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm
post #1105 of 2287 Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

Hi, haven't gotten around to recording from the Apex 502 to the hvr 1600 capture card. I'll report back when I've had a chance to play with the two. A URL for video redo: http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

Will be looking for your review, and thanks for the link!

post #1106 of 2287 Old 12-17-2008, 02:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

A: Philips 3576 / Magnavox H2160 recorder (ASTC built-in-160gb hd, and DVD burner- Alas this unit down-converting HD into SD).

I haven't seen any of the others you mention, but I can tell you that, even for 480i, the digital tuners from those units have pretty mediocre PQ. It's very "waxy-looking" and lacks detail, even for the average SD tuner. A bit dark, with crushed blacks, too.

Actually, I had the 3575H and the H2080, but they all (four) have the same tuner.

If you go with a standalone unit, even though no one (trustworthy) has seen the PQ yet on the Pal DVR, it's got to be much better just by virtue of it being HD (even if it turns out not to have absolute, top-notch PQ for an HD tuner).
post #1107 of 2287 Old 12-17-2008, 08:04 AM
QAM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure where to post this article, it might need it's own thread, but here goes:

Cable companies giving free equipment for DTV transition

I'll believe it when I see it.
post #1108 of 2287 Old 12-17-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm told that several cable companies are offering to provide phone banks for questions regarding the transition. I'm sure they will be more than happy to tell you that you can get OTA TV for free with an antenna and how to do so.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #1109 of 2287 Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see where this has anything to do with CECB's. ??

Quote:

The National Cable and Television Association, which represents most of the industry, said they would provide equipment and service at no extra charge for all-analog cable households through the end of June.

It appears their warning customers that there will not be a "Basic" service anymore and these customers will have to transition to the "Digital" packages. Another step for the cable companies to get out from under FCC Government control.
post #1110 of 2287 Old 12-17-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
FCC government "control" has been in their favor for a long time already.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page