11Likes

post #91 of 2269 Old 06-15-2008, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu007 View Post

Asked a salesman if they had any DT-901's in the back, and he said "no, never heard of the DT-901, but we have 700 new DT-900's in the warehouse."

Some who have bought '901s say the receipt lists them as '900s. Maybe the salesman "thinks" they have 700 new DTT-900s in the warehouse.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2269 Old 06-15-2008, 02:48 PM

My local CC has at least 30 to 40 of 901s mixed with almost same number of 900.
post #93 of 2269 Old 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM

richardav,
You might find the opposite true with a different unit of the same model, or even between two units of the same model. Production variaton does exist, and probably accounts for the difference in sensitivity.

Dan
post #94 of 2269 Old 06-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kolton View Post

richardav,
You might find the opposite true with a different unit of the same model, or even between two units of the same model. Production variaton does exist, and probably accounts for the difference in sensitivity.

I thought so too. However, I've since compared a second DDT901 that I picked up for a friend, and the result was the same. The two 901's are the same in sensitivity and less sensitive than the DTT900 or RCA 800B. I wonder if the pass-thru circuitry might cause a slight loss of sensitivity.
post #95 of 2269 Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitamosaic View Post

I've noticed a couple comments from 901 owners above, that also owned the 900, that the 901 seems to do better at holding a signal than the 900 did.

We just last week bought a 900 and are pretty happy with the channels it gets... but our local PBS here in Lansing, MI gets choppy because the signal strength hovers around 50%...

I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to exchange our April 08 made 900 model for a 901 model (e.g. if the newer unit would lock-on to that PBS signal better).

Has anyone else experienced the 901 locking-onto signals better than their previous 900 models?

My experience has been the opposite. I was also going to exchange my 900 for another 901, but have changed my mind after finding that for me the 900 holds a signal better than two 901's I have compared.
post #96 of 2269 Old 06-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123me View Post

I thought I read some where that you could move through the EPG, Now and Next, on the dtt900/901 units by simply clicking the > or < arrows on the remote... This could/should move you along the time line of the current station, is this true?

Dennis

You are probably talking about the Artec EPG.
It looks like the Zenith but has a xx/xx in the next section and has pages of now/next.
post #97 of 2269 Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardav View Post

I thought so too. However, I've since compared a second DDT901 that I picked up for a friend, and the result was the same. The two 901's are the same in sensitivity and less sensitive than the DTT900 or RCA 800B. I wonder if the pass-thru circuitry might cause a slight loss of sensitivity.

Possibly. But basically, if you bought 2 identical TV sets, one may have better reception than the other, that has always been common. It doesnt take much of a human manufacturing screw up to de-tune a tuner. I would keep taking the unit back until you found one thats as good as your old DTT900. Of course, your old DTT900 may have been screwed up in a positive way, heh.
post #98 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 AM

The Zenith DTT900 series, the RCA DTA800 series, and other boxes do what they claim although you can find some differences in features, operation and quality which will make a person choose one over another. But all-in-all the Zenith (and its clones) the RCA boxes, and I'm sure others as well, are fine boxes.

However, has anyone ever found a universal remote code to operate the Zenith (LG) boxes without purchasing an expensive universal remote or learning remote? If you have - please let us all know. And we all know remote controls die with repeated use. Not a question of if but when.

Contrast that to the RCA DTA800 series. Grab any old inexpensive universal remote (RCA, One-For-All, Philips, etc.) and program in the RCA Cable or Satellite codes and you are up and running.

RCA got it exactly right. Zenith did not. What's so hard about this anyway?
post #99 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV Reviewer View Post

has anyone ever found a universal remote code to operate the Zenith (LG) boxes without purchasing an expensive universal remote or learning remote?

Remote codes to activate various product control signals are assigned by the manufacturers of the remote control. Each remote control manufacturer assigns whatever code number they please to activate pre-programmed commands to operate other manufacturer's products. One remote control manufacturer's code number for a Zenith CECB may not be the same as another manufacturer's code number for for the same Zenith CECB. While there is a specific set of signals that operate a Zenith CECB, there is no actual "universal remote code" for a Zenith CECB. For instance, Philips assigns the 0340 remote control code for a few basic commands on a Panasonic DVD Recorder but RCA assigns one or more of these remote control codes to operate the few basic commands on a Panasonic DVD Recorder, 3355, 3394, 3395, 3406, 3407, 3437, 3438 or 3443.

I have the Philips PM435S Consolidator 4 device universal remote (about $7); and the Philips PMDVD6 Digital DVD Learning Remote for 6 devices ($9.74 at a local Kroger-owned chain store). The 4 device remote has large enough buttons but the 6 device remote has many more buttons, some rather small. Both Philips remotes come with twelve pages of code lists and instructions concerning the so-called "code search" feature for undocumented products. The learning remote may be taught to emulate additional "signal" commands not part of the basic commands for certain more sophisticated products such as DVD Recorders/Hard Drive Recorders.

Both Philips remotes have been set to control the Zenith CECBs as well as several TVs including Westinghouse, Dynex and RCA. From an original Panasonic DMR-EZ17 DVD recorder remote the PMDVD6 learning remote was taught the specialized commands for full utilization of this DVD recorder. The "code search" feature was used to locate and activate the appropriate signals to operate the Dynex TV, an undocumented product not found in the Philips code lists.

I use a Sharpie Fine Point felt-tip pen to relabel the remotes. Use rubbing alcohol to remove the ink if making corrections or reassigning buttons.

Both remotes have a handy index finger groove on the underside just right for holding the remote steady for thumbing button maneuvers or for setting on the edge of a small box to keep the remote from getting lost in table-top clutter.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #100 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since my 86 year old Mother received her $40 coupon I have been going over these converter box reviews trying to find a box that would be both up to my standards of quality and meet her needs of being easy to use.
I decided on either the very similar Zenith Dtt-901 or the Digital Stream DTX-9950 at Radio Shack. The problem with Radio Shack is that their web site shows these units in stock at several local stores when in fact they have none. The girl in the store tried to order one on her computer for about 20 minutes and when she said she had to start over and asked my address again I left, thinking I could just order it on my own computer. However, RS does not accept the coupons on-line, one must call a toll free number so I decided to try the Zenith at Circuit City first instead.
As I had read by other posters, CC only shows the older model DTT-900 on their web site so the only way to know if they have any 901's is to drive there (unless one wishes to try to explain this on the phone and get a sales person to go look at the inventory).
Sure enough when I got to CC and asked about converter boxes, I was led to a stack of 900's but when I stated that I specifically wanted the 901 they had a stack of them also. The sales guy asked what the difference was in them and to his credit he listened to me as I explained about the analog pass through and problem with left speaker sound in the older models.
I purchased the 901 and unlike some posters had noted my receipt actually shows 901 not 900.
I was very pleased with the ease of set-up although this being actually an LG product helped as I have a small LG HDTV in the bedroom. The menu was very similar. I did a scan of all the channels and then deleted all of the Spanish channels ( we live 12 miles from Mexico).
I thought there was a problem when I set the aspect ratio to cropped in the menu but the first HD channel I went to had it letter-boxed. I used the zoom button on the remote to change it to cropped (my Mother has a hard enough time seeing the TV without it being smaller than the full screen) and then the next HD channel I came to it was letter-boxed again. Well after I had gone through the dial and changed every HD channel to cropped they all stayed that way the next time they were tuned. Every TV or set-top-box I have had experience with ,if you set your preference for aspect ratio correction in the menu or changed it on the remote, it stayed that way for each channel that allows aspect ratio change. However with this DTT-901 it seems that one may set each HD channel's aspect ratio correction separately but then it remembers the preference. This is actually a nice feature as if it were mine I might have PBS letter-boxed and all of the others cropped.
I did not hook up the RF connection so can not comment on analog pass through. I did not want there to be more than one way to get a picture as this would just confuse my Mother and the RCA connections provide the better picture. ( Plus she does not understand about the TV input function)
The guide is just now/next. I showed it to Mom but she is not used to a guide and may not use it.
Setting the remote to control the TV power switch is rather clumsy. Rather than have remote codes to enter, one must hold down the TV power button and keep hitting the channel up button to search for the code. Thankfully, it came across the Panasonic code rather soon.
TV power is the only function of the TV that the remote controls. The volume is actually attenuated within the box. I just set the TV rather loud so Mom would have a good range of soft to loud when raising or lowering the output of the Dtt-901. The range is very acceptable.
The signal meter is very basic. A bar show it is "good" and there is an audible beep if one were outdoors adjusting the antenna.
I am please that this is a real metal box, not just plastic. It also is not too hot, Mom has had it on for several hours and it is just slightly warm to the touch.
I just checked for the infamous left speaker problem when Brian Williams speaks during the NBC Nightly news and the sound is good un-distorted stereo.
In all, I am happy with the Dtt-901. Once my Mother gets used to it I can move on to something more interesting and be finished with this converter box problem. I wanted to just buy her a new TV with a built-in digital tuner but they do not make any that are flat enough on top for her to set her favorite lamp. Different priorities!
post #101 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Went to Shirkit Shiddy today looking for the 901.. they had a HUGE pile of 900's..but, on a second glance, I saw the 901's buried in the back of the pile on the bottom.. so look closely! I managed to nab two of them, didn't want to be greedy!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #102 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM

Visited my local Radio Shack and Circuit City stores to see if any of the DTT-901's have shown up. Well, the RS stores are only carrying the Digital Stream models, and running out of them! Our local RS stores are only getting about 10 Zenith boxes per delivery, so it's off to CC-land.

One CC store (west SFV) had ONE April-901 box, the rest (about 35) were pre-April-900's. Asked a lead sales guy about the newer DTT901's. He had no idea what I was talking about. Took a pass.
A bigger CC (north SFV) store had about 65 of the 901 boxes, most with an April manufacturing date and many different kinds of serial and series numbers.

My coupons (and my father-in-law's coupons) all expire on July 3rd (happy Indy day). I'm hoping that the April-901 boxes no longer have the audio and sensitivity problems that the 900's had.

Great forum, BTW.
post #103 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Anyone in No. California (Central Valley) have any luck getting the 901 locally?? I will try tomorrow in Stockton, Manteca, and Modesto Circuit City stores. Will let you know how I make out. (Coupons good till July 8..... 21 days and counting).
post #104 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmiller View Post

Some who have bought '901s say the receipt lists them as '900s. Maybe the salesman "thinks" they have 700 new DTT-900s in the warehouse.

Paul

Has anyone checked to see if the UPC codes are the same or different for the 900 and 901? That would tell if the tracking computers can tell the difference.

Rick R
post #105 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

Has anyone checked to see if the UPC codes are the same or different for the 900 and 901?

Yes!  When the DTT901 I bought rang up at Circuit City as a DTT900, I went back to the display and looked at the boxes with that very question in mind.  The UPCs were not the same.

I don't have a DTT900 any more, and my receipts from buying and returning it at Radio Shack do not list the UPC, but the one on the DTT901's box is 7-19192-17340-8.
post #106 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

I don't have a DTT900 any more, and my receipts from buying and returning it at Radio Shack do not list the UPC, but the one on the DTT901's box is 7-19192-17340-8.

The DTT900 UPC is 7-19192-17259-3

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #107 of 2269 Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yours truly View Post

DTT901: 7-19192-17340-8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

DTT900: 7-19192-17259-3

That sums it up.  Thank you, DigaDo.
post #108 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 AM

Has anyone been able to find a DTT901 in the San Francisco Bay Area? Went to a couple Circuit City stores in the South Bay, but all they had were DTT900s. My coupons expire this week so I'm hoping the stores around here get them soon.
post #109 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 11:38 AM

I understand all that. But the bottom line is this - there apparently is no universal code available from any universal remote manufacturer (RCA, GE, One-for-All, Philips, Sony etc. - the most common ones available) to operate any of the functions of a Zenith DTT901 CECB - even a simple on and off - unless you have a learning remote. Not true for the RCS DTA800 series where any old universal remote laying around will operate all its functions straight away using existing Cable Box or Satellite codes.

Has anyone ever found a universal remote code from any remote manufacturer to operate the Zenith 900 series CECB? No Zenith, LG, Goldstar code I know of works. Zenith support says just use the codes for those brands. Wrong answer...
post #110 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Has anyone ever found a universal remote code from any remote manufacturer to operate the Zenith 900 series CECB?

mosquito is working on it.
post #111 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand all that. But the bottom line is this - there apparently is no universal code available from any universal remote manufacturer (RCA, GE, One-for-All, Philips, Sony etc. - the most common ones available) to operate any of the functions of a Zenith DTT901 CECB - even a simple on and off - unless you have a learning remote. Not true for the RCS DTA800 series where any old universal remote laying around will operate all its functions straight away using existing Cable Box or Satellite codes.

Has anyone ever found a universal remote code from any remote manufacturer to operate the Zenith 900 series CECB? No Zenith, LG, Goldstar code I know of works. Zenith support says just use the codes for those brands. Wrong answer...

You are still confusing "control signals" with "control codes." Universal remotes emulate the control signals of OEM remotes. "Control signals" for a Zenith CECB are universal but the "control code" used by one manufacturer of a universal remote is not shared with another manufacturer of a universal remote to control the same Zenith CECB.

Manufacturers of universal remotes assign their own remote code that activates/implements the control signals for a given device, such as the Zenith CECB, on their own brand of remote. This control code is not universal among different brands of remotes.

Within this context you are correct, there are no "universal" remote codes.

Universal "learning" remotes may be taught "control signals" from original OEM remotes.

Yesterday I responded to your same question and offered information concerning two inexpensive Philips universal remotes (one a standard model and one a "learning" model, both priced under $10) that I use to control my Zenith CECBs. Both Philips universal remotes use code 0267 to activate the control signals for Zenith CECBs. The 0267 code is listed twice by Philips under Zenith in the SAT/DTV/WebTV, and DVR/SAT Combo sections in their twelve pages of codes.

The earlier post is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post14094860

post #112 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Try the DirectTV Satellite Receiver codes. The code for my Radio Shack remote made by Universal is 1414. The remote had to "learn" a few commands like signal and zoom, but the basic commands were there with the initial setup code.

I simply tried all of the DirectTV codes in the instruction manual for my remote.
post #113 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Codes for an LG cable box will work.
post #114 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post

Well after I had gone through the dial and changed every HD channel to cropped they all stayed that way the next time they were tuned. Every TV or set-top-box I have had experience with ,if you set your preference for aspect ratio correction in the menu or changed it on the remote, it stayed that way for each channel that allows aspect ratio change. However with this DTT-901 it seems that one may set each HD channel's aspect ratio correction separately but then it remembers the preference. This is actually a nice feature as if it were mine I might have PBS letter-boxed and all of the others cropped.

1000% right on, Mister B! This is one of the best features of the DTT-900/901. Back in March I tried a Magnavox box and was instantly annoyed by having to drill down through a series of menus to change aspect ratio. Maybe it varies from one market to another, but here in Central Iowa, the stations are using every which ration--a total pain with my still highly serviceable Sony 4:3
CRT. I have a custom setting for every station. If I'm watching a talk show or the news, I like cropped; for a panoramic movie, I want letterbox.

My only complaints about my 900 (Feb 2008 mfr date) is that the signal lock can be dicey for some stations when the weather is changing--need to get a better antenna--and of course the !@#$%^&* DD5.1 left-channel crackle problem.

If I can find two 901s before 7/28, I'll drop my coupons for them.
post #115 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Checked Circuit City stores in Central Valley (No. CA) today and this is what I found. They only carry the 900 and have a good stock of these. One warehouse serves Stockton, Modesto, Manteca, Pittsburg, Elk Grove, etc. and though they have the 901s in the warehouse, they haven't started shipping them yet. Store will "Special Order" the 901 for you and it takes about two weeks for delivery. If your coupon is about to expire you have two choices: Special Order or buy the 900 which they will exchange for a 901 within 30 days.
post #116 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygeear View Post

Checked Circuit City stores in Central Valley (No. CA) today and this is what I found. They only carry the 900 and have a good stock of these. One warehouse serves Stockton, Modesto, Manteca, Pittsburg, Elk Grove, etc. and though they have the 901s in the warehouse, they haven't started shipping them yet. Store will "Special Order" the 901 for you and it takes about two weeks for delivery. If your coupon is about to expire you have two choices: Special Order or buy the 900 which they will exchange for a 901 within 30 days.

What would the special order process be like for this? Would the item be shipped directly to you or would it be shipped to the store and then you have to pick it up? The DTT901 is not listed on the CC web site yet so I'm wondering how they would know what item to special order.
post #117 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:

A GE/Jasco remote, model 24950, available at Target for under $15.00, has a code that controls the majority of the functions on the Zenith DTT900/DTT901 converters. Code # is 0656, and it's listed as a Zenith code in the manual, under the heading SAT/DTV/WebTV.

The few functions (and they are very few, such as closed captions and zoom) that are not assigned to buttons by this preset can be easily added with the learning function of the remote if desired.
post #118 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

too bad Cc does not have the 901 on website so you can do a store search Only the 900's are on website
post #119 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM

Like many other people in this forum, my coupon is expiring soon. I was waiting for an email from an out-of-state online store to notify me when the DTT901 is in stock. With time getting short, I thought that I should escalate things a bit, and I found this forum.

Just for kicks, I checked out the RadioShack web site for both the DTT900 and the DTT901. I was surprised to find that while they don't seem to actually have any available, both models are listed.

The DTT900 (15-148) and is "Not available online; Quantities limited, check a store near you."

DTT901 (15-193) "Online: Out of Stock"

I called my local store (Novato California) and asked about the 15-193. I was told that "No one has these, they've been discontinued because no one was buying them."
post #120 of 2269 Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zenith's advice is correct as far as it goes. You must use the Zenith, LG or Goldstar code assigned by the manufacturer of the universal remote that you have.

A quick survey of several of the above posts confirms that there is no "universal code" for Zenith CECBs used in common between different brands of universal remotes. Here are the codes assigned to Zenith CECBs by three different universal remote control manufacturers:

Philips--0267
Radio Shack/Universal--1414
GE/Jasco--0656

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page