Zenith DTT901 - Page 66 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 2246 Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My newly acquired Sony KV-27FS120 is performing admirably hooked to one of my DTT-901s. For 16:9 stations I set the DTT-901 to 16:9 mode and the TV to 16:9 enhanced, and the picture is super. It works out to ~ 24" wide screen display, which is fine by me for a viewing distance of 6 - 8 feet.

On a side note, I decided to use the pass-thru feature just because the TV jack was there and I don't have cable in the room. So I get a whopping total of 2 stations, KPDX and Azteca (I think). Neither looks very clear, but apparently KPDX is sending out their analog signal using a Digital Stream converter box. Twice I have seen the signal die, then the Digital Stream logo comes up for a couple of seconds, then a typical CECB channel display. If that's continuing analog broadcasting on the cheap, then more power to them, though it does make me laugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2246 Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Got the freebie from my friend's warehouse, it belonged to Kenwood for this distributor to use for car audio trade shows but Kenwood didn't want it back (I suspect high shipping costs vs switching to newer lighter models). To my surprise it wasn't a 36-37" Sony but rather a Panasonic 34" widescreen:

http://reviews.cnet.com/direct-view-...7-6144711.html

To think he was about to have his electronic scrap guy pick it up when he remembered I only had what he called "baby TVs" from visiting a few weeks ago. He even threw in a Hitachi stand that barely fits it, label shows only good for a 35" TV though which for an SD TV would be lighter than this monster (174 lbs. was fun for us two lifting off a loading dock although he's a big guy).

Early year (2001) of these wide tubes, HD-capable but no HD tuner, DVI, or HDMI inputs. Unfortunately no remote which may have some special functions beyond what I can do with my u-remote/menu functions. It widescreens the composite and s-video inputs but not the RF input (no menu adjustments but could be on the remote; same with PIP and who knows what else). What's weird is the composite image is stretched horizontally but the s-video is normal (cutting off top and bottom though). So now I'll have to record (Zinwell>VCR) in that squeezed/16:9 mode because it converts back to normal on composite and appears to fit perfectly (funny I used to hate that goofy-looking mode). The s-video works well with letterbox but with a small amount of top/bottom chopping that only affects my ChannelMaster info banner, otherwise it's the little bit of LB black stripe.
The factory color settings are way too strong (bleeding). Has quite a variety of preset pic setting ensembles. Surprisingly the detail isn't as good as my 27" GE (like 240i too) but I suspect that has to do with running SD into an HD TV; maybe the 480i to 480p built-in line-doubler they mention is the culprit with its smoothing.
Something I discovered that may be useful to you guys is the TV/Game scan mode. If your TV has something like this and you're forced to watch a crummy recording (ex: VCR EP mode), the Game mode smooths the noise/breaking edges.
I obviously need to download and read the manual(s) when I get time. Maybe buy one of those used Panasonic Director remotes too. Also perked my interest in an HD tuner if I could find one on the cheap (maybe these sat dish units?).

My friend also offered a 32" from his mom, he thought it wasn't very old. We got over there and it was a '92 GE so I passed, too worried about collecting boat anchors with it being that old. Ironically my 27" is a '93 GE, the one with the aforementioned slight green tint. My friend obviously doesn't have the memory of an elephant.

Yeah DragonLoaf I recall you said you had a Panasonic 34" WS so hopefully I got a good one. I've been watching for Sonys and maybe a Toshiba based on info from another AVS thread (Sony KD-34XBR960N ideal).
That's funny about KPDX. Maybe it's cheaper for them to generate an analog signal from an HD signal that way, assuming that have an HD station too.

post #1953 of 2246 Old 12-20-2011, 01:30 PM

That's a great score. I tinkered with mine last weekend and got an even more impressive picture out of it. There are so many settings and adjustments that it takes some time to iron things out. Still can't beat it for depth of color and especially blacks; now I know what people are talking about when they refer to "grey crush" on LCD and plasma sets. Also I watch a lot of old SD TV shows on Netflix streaming and the old Panasonic absolutely wipes the floor with the other sets in the house in that regard.

Thanks for the link - I love the original retail price: $4600 I am still amazed by the ever-increasing rapidity of obsolescence in the electronics arena.

My wife loves the Panasonic also and still eyes me with suspicion; she just can't quite believe I actually acquired it for free. I feel fortunate to be amongst the few who don't necessarily swallow the common belief that newer is always better.

Let us know how you are using the TV and how it stacks up for sound and PQ.
post #1954 of 2246 Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf View Post

That's a great score. I tinkered with mine last weekend and got an even more impressive picture out of it. There are so many settings and adjustments that it takes some time to iron things out. Still can't beat it for depth of color and especially blacks; now I know what people are talking about when they refer to "grey crush" on LCD and plasma sets.

Let us know how you are using the TV and how it stacks up for sound and PQ.

Yes me too, quite a 'menu.' Wish I could save the settings so I could hit Normalize without fear. Can't wait to download a manual to learn what I've been tweaking.
I take it grey crush is referring to the grey scale dynamic range. I like the fast action response of CRTs too, probably why I hear gamers like them.

Great pic, color is awesome. Got the audio hooked up and it's awesome too, plus quite a 'menu' there as well.
Currently hooked up ChannelMaster to s-video with Zinwell to composite via VCR line ins/outs. Plus Zinwell/VCR to RF in the event any tapes weren't recorded in 16:9 (weird format thing I mentioned before).

If you have the Panasonic Director remote, what unique functions to that remote do you know of that you can't do with a universal remote, if any?

Another quasi-score: Neighbor's Onkyo TX-SR707 A/V receiver audio went out so he gave it to me. I played around with it and it still switches A/V though so may be useful in that regard if I tandem it with my Kenwood AVR (s-video max). Unfortunately the Onkyo only has two component sets (i.e. for the Panasonic TV). Plenty of others including 6 HDMI (for when I move up in the world). I briefly read a review which says it has some sort of 1080p upscaling and other video processing functions so maybe some use there too. Another manual I need to get and I hope he'll give up the remote. Oh yeah the aux audio channel still works (stereo).

post #1955 of 2246 Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

If you have the Panasonic Director remote, what unique functions to that remote do you know of that you can't do with a universal remote, if any?

Nevermind, I just found one on ebay for $15 and ordered it, says was a new replacement for an older one and was in storage, little wear. I downloaded the TV manual and it listed the EUR511162. Thanks anyway!

post #1956 of 2246 Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 AM

My Panasonic remote is the EUR7603ZFA. When I first inspected it I was excited, because it has buttons for controlling VCR, DVD, AUX, RCVR, DTV, CBL, and DBS. I thought, wow, here it's also a universal remote! Not so fast, after tinkering around and loading some codes from the instruction manual, not one of my devices hooked to the TV responded to any commands. Of course there weren't any codes for my specific devices, because the devices are a Magnavox DVD recorder, Zenith DTT-901, and Insignia Blu-ray player.

Before my son "appropriated" it for his own use, I was using a universal remote with the TV. It performed all the major functions, and we are talking about a very inexpensive garden variety universal remote here, like the GE ones that are $5 at Walgreen's. It didn't turn on and off the BBE sound enhancement with a single button push like the original remote, but I have never wanted to turn that off anyway.

Merry Christmas!
post #1957 of 2246 Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Panasonic remote is the EUR7603ZFA. When I first inspected it I was excited, because it has buttons for controlling VCR, DVD, AUX, RCVR, DTV, CBL, and DBS. I thought, wow, here it's also a universal remote! Not so fast, after tinkering around and loading some codes from the instruction manual, not one of my devices hooked to the TV responded to any commands. Of course there weren't any codes for my specific devices, because the devices are a Magnavox DVD recorder, Zenith DTT-901, and Insignia Blu-ray player.

Maybe try the painfully slow code search if you haven't already. Of course there's the old u-remote/newer device conundrum; my ChannelMaster requires a Pioneer cable box code for the old remotes, at least CM wrote that in their manual.
I may try u-ing the EUR remote but no biggie if it doesn't work as I don't plan on using it for that, like to preserve the unique remotes by forcing myself to use the easily obtained u-remotes. I really wanted the EUR for special functions like PIP, aspect, etc. I wonder if the higher-end u-remotes can perform those unique functions?

CVS had the 3-function Philips u-remote free after extrabucks reward again this holiday season so watch to see if it goes on sale again. My store just restocked them.

Merry Christmas to all!

post #1958 of 2246 Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got my Panasonic remote and swiftly too, product as advertised (I'll have to give this ebayer a high review). It solved my aspect ratio problems as they had been set to something I didn't want by whomever last had this TV's remote (i.e. remote only adjustments, I hate those!). The joystick-like ACTION button is cool. The Picture Out Picture stuff as they call it is cool although I was disappointed to discover that one of the inputs has to be via the RF connector (I suspect for the NTSC tuner); Ch 3 or 4 will have to do for this fun feature. The manual for this TV leaves much to be desired, it basically shows how to do things but with very little elaboration.

Anyhow, I was able to code it per the manual's codes for my ChannelMaster and Sony VCR. For the CM I used CBL and a Pioneer cable box code, unfortunately it only controls the power and channel. The VCR worked for most every function except the menu and a special function or two. I haven't tried code searches but am doubtful due to the remote being circa 2001. Per the table for the remote in the manual the DBS button looks like it would provide more functionality for a converter box (Guide, Aspect, etc.).

post #1959 of 2246 Old 12-29-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Every Panasonic manual is fun times, indeed.
post #1960 of 2246 Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Got my Panasonic remote and swiftly too, product as advertised (I'll have to give this ebayer a high review). It solved my aspect ratio problems as they had been set to something I didn't want by whomever last had this TV's remote (i.e. remote only adjustments, I hate those!). The joystick-like ACTION button is cool. The Picture Out Picture stuff as they call it is cool although I was disappointed to discover that one of the inputs has to be via the RF connector (I suspect for the NTSC tuner); Ch 3 or 4 will have to do for this fun feature. The manual for this TV leaves much to be desired, it basically shows how to do things but with very little elaboration.

Anyhow, I was able to code it per the manual's codes for my ChannelMaster and Sony VCR. For the CM I used CBL and a Pioneer cable box code, unfortunately it only controls the power and channel. The VCR worked for most every function except the menu and a special function or two. I haven't tried code searches but am doubtful due to the remote being circa 2001. Per the table for the remote in the manual the DBS button looks like it would provide more functionality for a converter box (Guide, Aspect, etc.).

Very cool, congratulations on acquisition of the remote. Yes, the ACTION button is very nice. My TV does split screen via the remote, actually forgot about that when you asked about what the OEM remote can do that can't be done with a standard universal remote. I think it can display any 2 sources, with audio from one or the other switchable at a button push. It is one of those "Oh Wow!" features that actually is not used much, at least by me. I have used it to watch 2 football games at once, which is nice, but both pictures are distorted due to horizontal compression. I can watch one very clear game via the DTT-901 into one of the composite ports, and another not so great PQ game via Comcast analog Limited Basic Cable.

I will do a check to make sure any 2 sources can be combined this way; it may be that one of the inputs has to be the RF like yours. Thanks for the code info; I will do some more experimenting hopefully this weekend when I have some free time.

Oh yeah, your mention of aspect ratio reminds me of a discovery I made. On my Panasonic there is no way as far as I could find to have the TV display what definition is coming into the TV, 480i, 480p, or 1080i. I went back to the manual and realized that when 480i is the source, ALL Zoom modes are available: JUST - ZOOM - FULL - 4:3, when 480p is the source, 3 Zoom modes are available, and when 1080i is the source, ZERO Zoom modes are available (or I should say 1 mode, but you can't change to anything by pressing the Zoom button). It's a quick and easy way to tell exactly what type of signal is coming into the TV, which is handy for the two component ports, which are connected to a Blu-ray player / streamer and DLNA device / streamer.
post #1961 of 2246 Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have used it to watch 2 football games at once, which is nice, but both pictures are distorted due to horizontal compression.

I will do a check to make sure any 2 sources can be combined this way; it may be that one of the inputs has to be the RF like yours.

Oh yeah, your mention of aspect ratio reminds me of a discovery I made. On my Panasonic there is no way as far as I could find to have the TV display what definition is coming into the TV, 480i, 480p, or 1080i. I went back to the manual and realized that when 480i is the source, ALL Zoom modes are available: JUST - ZOOM - FULL - 4:3, when 480p is the source, 3 Zoom modes are available, and when 1080i is the source, ZERO Zoom modes are available (or I should say 1 mode, but you can't change to anything by pressing the Zoom button). It's a quick and easy way to tell exactly what type of signal is coming into the TV, which is handy for the two component ports, which are connected to a Blu-ray player / streamer and DLNA device / streamer.

I remember seeing something in the manual about the split pics being distorted and could be adjusted with the Aspect button. I also think it was port- and/or signal-dependent.

Thanks. I could be doing something wrong too in activating the split pics. Manual is clear as mud as usual.

Good info on the definition display (or rather lack thereof). I hadn't noticed it yet as I only have 480i input at the moment. I did notice a general lack of info on the INFO display unless on RF. Odd since I think even AV receivers display this info. If I discover anything I'll let you know.

post #1962 of 2246 Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM

He shoots, he scores! I am realizing I am a very sick man. I perused the craigslist this morning and chanced upon a freebie in the electronics section, which I would not have found unless I clicked to see the body of the ad because the fact that it was free was buried therein.

It being 25 minutes since posting time, I thought I had no chance, but called and left a message just in case the tweakers hadn't sussed this one out yet. Sure enough, a gal called me back in about 10 minutes and wanted "that thing" out of her house before a 3 pm party, and asked if I could do that. I said "I'm on my way," hoping that there was a man around who could help me lift the beast.

Offered up was a Sony WEGA KV-30HS420, ironically located less than a mile from my workplace. I showed up and thank goodness the woman's husband helped me put the TV in my car. HDMI in the back and me smiling like a cat who just ate the bird all the way home, hoping the thing worked.

To cut to the chase everything works perfectly, and the TV fits in the cabinet with about an inch-and-a-half to spare on either side, taking the place of the KV-27FS120 which I grabbed as a freebie a couple of weeks ago. Roku XD is hooked-in via the HDMI port, a DVD player and DVD recorder are attached to the component inputs, a VHS deck to one of the composite feeds, a DTT-901 to another, and a Windows XP computer to yet another.

All of the inputs work flawlessly as far as I can tell. I am amazed at how fluid and defined the digital copies I have on my computer (which I thought I would never use) look on this TV over the S-video connection from my old computer's video card. Now I can actually watch and enjoy Lawrence of Arabia and SWAT on a bigger screen, which I downloaded as free promotional items with PNY USB drive purchases last month. Kudos to Windows Media Player I must say.

Also OTA TV with my DTT-901 looks fantastic. The line-doubling technology on this set really makes a difference.

Now what do I do with the KV-27FS120? I think I will take it to replace the older Sony which is currently in my office. Yes, as I said at the beginning, I am a very sick man. I find that I get more enjoyment out of acquiring and tinkering with dated technology than I do in actually using it.

My wife is an angel; she just looks at me with disgust but doesn't complain. She probably figures the little bit of gas I am spending is a lot cheaper than some other hobbies I could have. Oh, and she loves the heck out of that Panasonic Tau CT-34WX54 in our bedroom (as do I).
post #1963 of 2246 Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now what do I do with the KV-27FS120? I think I will take it to replace the older Sony which is currently in my office. Yes, as I said at the beginning, I am a very sick man. I find that I get more enjoyment out of acquiring and tinkering with dated technology than I do in actually using it.

My wife is an angel; she just looks at me with disgust but doesn't complain. She probably figures the little bit of gas I am spending is a lot cheaper than some other hobbies I could have. Oh, and she loves the heck out of that Panasonic Tau CT-34WX54 in our bedroom (as do I).

Same here. I've wasted quite a bit of time fiddling with this stuff when I should be doing other things. In doing so I just discovered by comparison to the Panny that my old 27" TV's screen size is over-adjusted but it won't let access the service menu anymore. I guess I should have taken that old 32" from my friend's mom. Oh well, I'll just use letterbox or hook it to a ChannelMaster which has one smaller zoom setting. Funny the '92 to '93 TV thing on me; my 27" is a '93, that 32" is a '92 (which is why I declined it), and I just declined an offer from a neighbor for a '93 27" (+ heavy smokers).

That's something - only a mile away and someone there to help you load it to boot. I've occasionally seen freebies in the pay section rather than free section of CL, those give ya a head start since most folks are perusing the free section for the freebies. Ironically I just saw a 420 listed for $50.

So I suspect the bigger Panny won't fit in the cabinet. I thought an 420 had an HD tuner but maybe that's the 34" or I'm just thinking of HDMI.

post #1964 of 2246 Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Same here. I've wasted quite a bit of time fiddling with this stuff when I should be doing other things. In doing so I just discovered by comparison to the Panny that my old 27" TV's screen size is over-adjusted but it won't let access the service menu anymore. I guess I should have taken that old 32" from my friend's mom. Oh well, I'll just use letterbox or hook it to a ChannelMaster which has one smaller zoom setting. Funny the '92 to '93 TV thing on me; my 27" is a '93, that 32" is a '92 (which is why I declined it), and I just declined an offer from a neighbor for a '93 27" (+ heavy smokers).

That's something - only a mile away and someone there to help you load it to boot. I've occasionally seen freebies in the pay section rather than free section of CL, those give ya a head start since most folks are perusing the free section for the freebies. Ironically I just saw a 420 listed for $50.

So I suspect the bigger Panny won't fit in the cabinet. I thought an 420 had an HD tuner but maybe that's the 34" or I'm just thinking of HDMI.

For sure you are right the Panny wouldn't fit in the cabinet. I would not try either, as the cabinet is in my small study / hang-out room / man cave and if I put the Panny in there my wife would probably force me to move it right back into the bedroom - after all we watch it more than any of our other sets.

The KV-30HS420 does not have an ATSC tuner, unfortunately, it was manufactured in September 2005 and I gather it was not required at that time. My manual is for 5 sets: 27HS420, 30HS420, 32HS420, 34HS420, and 36HS420. I gather from the 16:9 Enhanced feature exclusive to the 27, 32, and 36 models that they are all 4:3 aspect ratio, while my 30 and the 34 are 16:9 aspect ratio.

I'm glad I'm not the only one spending too much time on this stuff. I don't think I mentioned earlier that the KV-30HS420 is just pristine - after I took some 409 to the cabinet and glass cleaner to the screen it looks showroom new, no cosmetic damage whatsoever (unlike the previously acquired KV-27FS120) and the screen is perfect (like the KV-27FS120). My wife was not amused with my newest prize until she actually saw it - "Sony? - pause while looking it over - Why did they give that away?" Also came with the original remote in great condition.

I have lucked out with the smoking thing, funny I never really thought about it but I would not want a set from a house like that either. I will never forget as a kid when we moved into the house my parents had rented to some heavy smokers for a few years. The bathroom walls would sweat yellow every time anyone took a shower for 3 YEARS after we moved in, even after my Dad painted. YUCK!
post #1965 of 2246 Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would not try either, as the cabinet is in my small study / hang-out room / man cave and if I put the Panny in there my wife would probably force me to move it right back into the bedroom - after all we watch it more than any of our other sets.

The KV-30HS420 does not have an ATSC tuner, unfortunately, it was manufactured in September 2005 and I gather it was not required at that time. My manual is for 5 sets: 27HS420, 30HS420, 32HS420, 34HS420, and 36HS420. I gather from the 16:9 Enhanced feature exclusive to the 27, 32, and 36 models that they are all 4:3 aspect ratio, while my 30 and the 34 are 16:9 aspect ratio.

I don't think I mentioned earlier that the KV-30HS420 is just pristine - after I took some 409 to the cabinet and glass cleaner to the screen it looks showroom new, no cosmetic damage whatsoever (unlike the previously acquired KV-27FS120) and the screen is perfect (like the KV-27FS120). My wife was not amused with my newest prize until she actually saw it - "Sony? - pause while looking it over - Why did they give that away?"

I have lucked out with the smoking thing, funny I never really thought about it but I would not want a set from a house like that either. I will never forget as a kid when we moved into the house my parents had rented to some heavy smokers for a few years. The bathroom walls would sweat yellow every time anyone took a shower for 3 YEARS after we moved in, even after my Dad painted. YUCK!

Well that sounds like it worked out perfectly.

Man that was right on the cusp for ATSC tuners although I think there was a spattering of sets at that time that they used the foresight to put them in anyway ($). Yep on the aspect ratio per the Wiki page (I wish they would have listed the ATSC tuners too):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

Most of the pics of the widescreen CRTs I've seen show them in great condition; doesn't surprise me as those folks paid a small fortune for them, they're high-end sets, and not really that old; then it didn't take that long until many of them were relegated to a bedroom, etc. Smart wife and a darn good question; did the TV come from a McMansion?

Definitely YUCK . Neighbor/friend to my mom that I grew up acquired the house from his heavy-smoking parents; he had to use that Kilz primer/sealant paint before the finishing paint and maybe even more than one coat of Kilz.
BTW if I pick up any TVs from questionable sources or they smell I let them air out and any 'bugs' die off in the garage for several months.

post #1966 of 2246 Old 01-05-2012, 12:58 PM

That's a good idea with the garage limbo period. If I ever run into some scuzzy equipment, I'll put that into practice.

The house was not a McMansion. Surprisingly I would say it was lower middle class, my WAG and sense from the family is that there was some economic downfall during the recent financial woes. I almost felt bad taking the TV as a blessed and fortunate person with a decent occupation. Almost.

I'm still keeping an eye out for another CECB, preferably another Zenith DTT-901 or the Insignia clone. Right now I see there is a DigitalStream unit on sale in the craigslist electronics section for $10. I am debating whether to jump on that now.
post #1967 of 2246 Old 01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The house was not a McMansion. Surprisingly I would say it was lower middle class, my WAG and sense from the family is that there was some economic downfall during the recent financial woes. I almost felt bad taking the TV as a blessed and fortunate person with a decent occupation. Almost.

I'm still keeping an eye out for another CECB, preferably another Zenith DTT-901 or the Insignia clone. Right now I see there is a DigitalStream unit on sale in the craigslist electronics section for $10. I am debating whether to jump on that now.

Weird, you'd think they'd try and get some cash for one of those. Had the look of a big screen upgrade/get the old one outta here syndrome. Now a recently divorced pissed off ex...

I would at least want s-video with those fine sets. Then there's the boxes at the top of composite video quality. I'm now watching for something with an HD tuner like a sat receiver or cable box. Cable boxes I'm less certain of for antenna but I thought I saw something on a Motorola.

Hey did you get a chance to see if your Tau will do PoutP without having to use the RF input?

post #1968 of 2246 Old 01-06-2012, 12:13 PM

So I just confirmed that my Panny will allow split screen operation using any two inputs. I was just watching Netflix via component input using a Blu-ray player, and at the same time watching OTA TV with a DTT-901 coming in via composite input. As I mentioned earlier for me this is more of a novelty than a truly useful feature, though it will come in handy sometimes for keeping tabs on two sporting events at once.

A disgruntled ex may have been in play, I had not considered that. Yeah you would think that they could and would get some money for that set. When I saw the ad and checked on Amazon there were still some used KV-30HS420 sets available starting at $375!

I decided against trying for the DigitalStream CECB after reading some poor reports about it. It must have been scooped up quickly though, the ad disappeared straight away and no wonder at a price of $10. Around here they mostly range from $25 to $40 on craigslist. No rush for me anyhow.

My preference would be for S-video also but I must say that my DTT-901 units continue to impress me with the quality of their video. I truly believe that most casual observers from farther than 10 feet away or so would have a hard time distinguishing between the DTT-901 output of an HD channel and true 720p or 1080i on the same set.
post #1969 of 2246 Old 01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

My preference would be for S-video also but I must say that my DTT-901 units continue to impress me with the quality of their video.

The only one worth going for with s-video is the CM7000. Can't beat that for PQ.

For composite, I'd definitely stick with those LG's. That's still the best "all-around" choice.

The Digital Stream wasn't a bad deal at all for only $10, though. It's not perfect, but if it works alright, it's definitely worth that. I'd much rather spend $10 for that over something like, say, $40 for a brand new Zinwell.
post #1970 of 2246 Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I just confirmed that my Panny will allow split screen operation using any two inputs.

When I saw the ad and checked on Amazon there were still some used KV-30HS420 sets available starting at $375!

My preference would be for S-video also but I must say that my DTT-901 units continue to impress me with the quality of their video. I truly believe that most casual observers from farther than 10 feet away or so would have a hard time distinguishing between the DTT-901 output of an HD channel and true 720p or 1080i on the same set.

Thanks for checking! I may need to download your TV's manual and see if it's an improvement since your TV is newer (50 vs 54) or if I'm just doing something wrong. I know my old '93 TVs required RF as one input source but at least they told me that in the manuals.

Yeah I've seen that nonsense on Amazon and ebay, like anyone's gonna pay that much when they can get a new light 30" with an HD tuner for $200 on sale. ebay used to have a way to check what items actualy sold for but when I recently viewed their website I couldn't find that section.

True, these sets aren't that big and when I recently re-did my setup putting the Tau where the old 27" was at (Tau was rolled in front of it for awhile), at that distance I couldn't tell much difference between the CM and Zinwell. Now in general though there are a few programs and/or stations that I think would make a huge difference between a converter box and an HD tuner; my biggest gripe is the interline twitter I get on football games (gridlines from an endzone view being the worst).

post #1971 of 2246 Old 01-07-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

The only one worth going for with s-video is the CM7000. Can't beat that for PQ.

For composite, I'd definitely stick with those LG's. That's still the best "all-around" choice.

The Digital Stream wasn't a bad deal at all for only $10, though. It's not perfect, but if it works alright, it's definitely worth that. I'd much rather spend $10 for that over something like, say, $40 for a brand new Zinwell.

There's also the TRT box(s) that THX-1138 has had good results with thus far but good luck finding one of those on the cheap (or even finding one used). I read the Apex is good too but only get a 502; now these I've actually seen on CL but usually more 250s (I think the 502 came out before the 250 but both were sold in high-volume retail stores).

Indeed the LG/Zeniths are very good from a broad set of requirements. Now based on my Artec being a Zenith clone, when I've done a PQ comparison to my Zinwell the Zinwell wins but I'm looking real hard; definitely not worth a $30 difference though.

post #1972 of 2246 Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW per that Wiki>Sony flatscreen CRT page the 40" models are capable of 37" in widescreen mode. And of course you get a whopping 40" when watching 4:3-only stuff. The latest one they list is the 40XBR800 and the only other one listed is the 40XBR700 (I don't know if they made this size CRT before they went flatscreen). Something to consider when perusing the freebie/cheap TVs. I bet they're monster-heavy.

post #1973 of 2246 Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

.... I bet they're monster-heavy.

Slightly over 300 pounds.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #1974 of 2246 Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Slightly over 300 pounds.

YOWZA! Bring a forklift. My Panasonic 34" widescreen is listed at 174.2 lbs so that's a lotta extra weight for 3" more. Thanks for the info.

post #1975 of 2246 Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think my Sony is finally biting the dust, it goes off now several times an evening to the point of annoying.

I was offered one of the following 27" CRT's:

RCA - F27442 (5/02)
or
Magnavox (Philps) MS2730 C221 (7/01)

The Magnavox has more milage on it & is slightly older, though it has rear video inputs. The RCA only has front inputs - is slightly lighter & smaller, & has some feature called SystemLink.

Any of you familiar with these CRT models?... I know it's not top end stuff, but gotta be less annoying that the Sony's present state.. the biggest job will be hauling the Sony off. I could have picked up a 2000 Sony 32" @ Goodwill for $35, though again, no way to pick it up to haul.
post #1976 of 2246 Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Any of you familiar with these CRT models?

No but my condolences. At least you've got a pair of options that I suspect you can move buy yourself to get you by. Would be nice to have some help as I'm seeing lots of sweet to free deals including some of the widescreen CRTs.

SystemLink is written on my old RCA u-remote so I think it's just a fancy way of saying it has a u-remote.

post #1977 of 2246 Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

No but my condolences. At least you've got a pair of options that I suspect you can move buy yourself to get you by. Would be nice to have some help as I'm seeing lots of sweet to free deals including some of the widescreen CRTs.

SystemLink is written on my old RCA u-remote so I think it's just a fancy way of saying it has a u-remote.

I may be able to get the 27" in, but first I must get the 32" out, I'm not sure how the weather will hold up & getting Anyone to help move it.... so it may not happen till spring, or perhaps never... the Sony sat in storage for 2 years till I had help getting it over here... then again will Best Buy take this for $10?

The RCA has some jack on the back with a wire & looks like a small audio jack & attached to the wire appears to be a IR reciever.
post #1978 of 2246 Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I may be able to get the 27" in, but first I must get the 32" out, I'm not sure how the weather will hold up & getting Anyone to help move it.... so it may not happen till spring, or perhaps never... the Sony sat in storage for 2 years till I had help getting it over here... then again will Best Buy take this for $10?

The RCA has some jack on the back with a wire & looks like a small audio jack & attached to the wire appears to be a IR reciever.

Maybe try a CL free ad for electronic scrappers and tell them you can help load it to their vehicle. That's my plan on some stuff here. I have two RCA Home Theater 31"ers circa '93, I picked up a free broken one a few years back to repair the other I bought new but now it seems kinda pointless to try the repair with so many deals out there (other than the moving issue). If the ad doesn't work I'll have to get help loading them to my van so I can take them to the city's e-cycle drop-off place.
I just moved the 31" inside the house (other is in the garage, slid it off some 2x4s from the van) to a 'staging' room, was on a foot-high brick fireplace front. Lots of angling down, sliding along carpet, over a step, etc. Fun.

Interesting on the RCA, might be worth a manual download to see what that is. Maybe something to do with IR blaster? When I first read "SystemLink" I thought of that control link some of my stereo components have (connectors on back) so that one remote will control all the interconnected devices.

post #1979 of 2246 Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Totally understand about the weight and bulk of that set. I am fortunate to have a son who is still single and close enough to home that he regularly visits on weekends. I wouldn't have the sets I have now without him. Your predicament has me thinking about what I will do in the future when my sets give up the ghost.

So in my never ending quest to needlessly complicate my life, I purchased a gently used CM-7000 off of craigslist for $20. Always wanted one but they were also always high in price; I figure I got a good deal considering the lowest used price on the interwebs came up at $45. I have the OEM remote and the manual, so will be all set for testing this weekend when I hope to have some time to hook it up.

I have to say that after waxing poetic ad nauseum about the great PQ of my DTT-901, I may need to temper that by waxing poetic about the ability of my Panasonic CT-34WX54 to display composite signals. On my Sony KV-30HS120 the DTT-901 doesn't look nearly as good, though I should try a different input as that may be a culprit as well. By comparison a Roku connected via HDMI and DVD player connected via component look great.

Good luck with your search for a replacement TV. I would bring you my Sony KV-27FS120, but that ~ 2500 mile drive one-way is a little much.
post #1980 of 2246 Old 01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So in my never ending quest to needlessly complicate my life, I purchased a gently used CM-7000 off of craigslist for $20. Always wanted one but they were also always high in price; I figure I got a good deal considering the lowest used price on the interwebs came up at $45. I have the OEM remote and the manual, so will be all set for testing this weekend when I hope to have some time to hook it up.

I have to say that after waxing poetic ad nauseum about the great PQ of my DTT-901, I may need to temper that by waxing poetic about the ability of my Panasonic CT-34WX54 to display composite signals. On my Sony KV-30HS120 the DTT-901 doesn't look nearly as good, though I should try a different input as that may be a culprit as well. By comparison a Roku connected via HDMI and DVD player connected via component look great.

Good price and should be worth the complication for s-video and program guide. You also get Dolby Digital audio (do Zeniths?) and an extra zoom setting (smaller zoom than the standard, I like it better).

Might be the Panny's 480i to 480p upscaler unless that Sony has it too (I would think so); maybe the Sony has an on/off switch for it unlike the Panny and the switch is currently off. Yeah various inputs, menu settings for each, etc. We've weaved a complicated web with these converter box/widescreen CRT combos.

Now we should be looking for something with an HD tuner. Complicated though and I don't know exactly what to look for; I've been watching for satellite and set-top box ads as some of those units had aux HD OTA tuners, esp the sat ones. Speaking of looking on CL, it's so flaky vs keywords; when looking for these widescreen CRTs I have to look in all the ads for 30 to 40 inch because these folks don't know how to describe what they're selling.

Has anyone out there noticed a PQ difference between the aspect settings on their Zeniths or Insignias? Mainly in the form of interline twitter and lines/gaps through text or jaggidiness (was most apparent on a 480i NBC-sub weather channel). After messing around with these different CRT setups I noticed 16:9 (squeezed) looks much better than the other fixed settings; might make sense since 16:9 was the original source (i.e. less conversion). I saw the same thing on both ChannelMasters and Zinwells so I suspect it's common to all boxes. Another thing was that I noticed the twitter I observe during football games (gridlines mostly) was worse on Fox (720p) than NBC (1080i) and CBS (1080i) leading me to believe that the i source is an easier conversion than the p source (i.e. i to i).

ieieieieieieieie

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page