Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2239 Old 06-19-2008, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Blough View Post

What month date are you seeing on the DT901s at CC? There are posts suggesting the audio output on the April DT900 and DT901 are the same while other posts suggest the May DT901 had greater audio output than the DT900s.

I exchanged an April 2008 DTT900 for an April 2008 DTT901 this past Saturday. The difference in audio level between mono and stereo was very noticeable with the April 2008 DTT900--lower when set to stereo. With the DTT901, there's no difference in audio level when switching from mono to stereo--the first time I've observed that in a Zenith converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2239 Old 06-19-2008, 06:26 PM

The Circuit City I went to today had I would guess, about 100 901s on display. I had been waiting on the Echostar TR-40, but with all of the commotion over the past week, I came across the Zenith through CNET reviews. I knew Circuit City had these, and I was aware of the March/April difference, and so 2 days ago I stopped by the store to see what the dates were on the units they had. When I told the salesman I was looking for their converter boxes, he brought me to the display area and said, "We have the Zenith 900 and the 901 will be here in a couple of weeks. The 901 will have analog pass through." This was the first time I had ever heard of the 901, and googling it brought me to this Forum. My coupon had 4 weeks left on it, so I thought I would wait to see what showed up. I went back to the store today just to see how easy it is to determine the manufacturing date on the boxes, and discovered that all of the 900s were gone and the display was completely 901, manufacture date May 2008. I spent my coupon today with time to spare on it. Thanks for all the info here in the forum. This is in suburban St. Paul, MN (Roseville)
post #183 of 2239 Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5t8t2u View Post

The Circuit City I went to today had I would guess, about 100 901s on display. I had been waiting on the Echostar TR-40, but with all of the commotion over the past week, I came across the Zenith through CNET reviews. I knew Circuit City had these, and I was aware of the March/April difference, and so 2 days ago I stopped by the store to see what the dates were on the units they had. When I told the salesman I was looking for their converter boxes, he brought me to the display area and said, "We have the Zenith 900 and the 901 will be here in a couple of weeks. The 901 will have analog pass through. . ." My coupon had 4 weeks left on it, so I thought I would wait to see what showed up. I went back to the store today just to see how easy it is to determine the manufacturing date on the boxes, and discovered that all of the 900s were gone and the display was completely 901, manufacture date May 2008. I spent my coupon today with time to spare on it. Thanks for all the info here in the forum. This is in suburban St. Paul, MN (Roseville)

In my area Circuit City management is holding back 13,000 Zenith DTT901 analog pass through models from sale.

With the prospect that the Dish Network DTVPal with analog pass through and timer programming might appear in the next few days in other retail stores such as Sears and Radio Shack, certain Circuit City managers don't seem to realize that every DTVPal coupon sale at another store is one less customer visit and coupon sale for Circuit City.

A customer comes into a Circuit City store to find stock on display for an immediate purchase and to take that purchase home; not to place a special order and drive back to the same store days later to pick up the purchase.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #184 of 2239 Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Nor to be told tall tales about how the government buys the boxes, and the 900 is all they let them have. Anybody in the Portland area looking for 901s, the Woodburn BiMart has a wait list, prioritized by expiration. Bless them!
post #185 of 2239 Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 PM

CC in Pensacola FL has the DTT901's. I picked up an April build unit today, I may have to just return my March build Insignia since BB is now selling mostly 2007 models.

Edit: The 901 works just fine. No audio defect present with 5.1 source and the APT sends conventional stereo signal. No surprise but the remote for an Insignia NS-DXA1 controls all functions of the DTT901. BTW: These things ship with the cheapest AAA batteries I've ever seen. Both were DOA but I wouldn't trust them anyway. They look like leakers.
post #186 of 2239 Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Blough View Post

What month date are you seeing on the DT901s at CC? There are posts suggesting the audio output on the April DT900 and DT901 are the same while other posts suggest the May DT901 had greater audio output than the DT900s.

My DTT901 and the DTT900 I traded for it are both April 2008.
post #187 of 2239 Old 06-19-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscek View Post

For those of you who special ordered the DTT901 at CC, I'm assuming you were able to use your $40 coupons without any issue? For some reason, the CC store I went to said I could special order it, but that I could not use the $40 coupons. This came directly from the customer service manager there.

I went to a CC in Portland, OR (Jantzen Beach) this past Tues. to place a custom order for the DTT901 -- I had to emphasize to check their warehouse inventory. They indicated the coupon could not be used since it was not considered in stock (the guy did try to redeem the card without success). So what they did was give me a DTT900 and made a note on the custom order for the DTT901 that I could exchange the DTT900 at any time (beyond the standard 30 days return) for the DTT901 once it arrived. My recommendation would be to hit CC when it's not busy and go straight to the customer service desk. Keep in mind my coupon was expiring, which I'm sure affected their decision. They did indicate it may be a few weeks since they still have hundreds of DTT900s in stock, and the DTT901s would only arrive by the palette.
post #188 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy's dad View Post

Thanks for the actual dimensions. It will not fit in my motorhome unless I remove the dvd/vcr in which case I may as well remove my wife I guess that I'll have to stand in line and get the DTVPal if it ever hits the shelves. Next choice would be the Artec T3A and use my video switching center to pick up the analog signals as long as they are available.

The Zeniths are slightly smaller than stated (mainly height) as some room for ventilation is needed as well as connections on back.

While this topic on the DTT901 is not the place for this, the Microgem MG2000 Dimensions: 4.9"W x 4.9"D x 1.2"H is up there with the Zenith according to Consumer Reports. (DS, DTVPal, most others are not) However "If you're watching a down-converted HD program letter-boxed to fit your squarish screen, images are stretched vertically to a slight extent."
"Microgem MG2000 available from Solidsignal.com and FreeDTVShop.com.
The Microgem is one of the smallest units we've seen." Consumer Reports
post #189 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 AM

Yesterday I stopped into the CC in Poughkeepsie, NY. They had several stacks of April build 900s, and one stack of 901s, which were mostly April builds but there were a few from May. I picked up one of the May 901s, and it works great. When the volume of the 901 is at 100%, it's about equal with the volume of analog stations (using RF, mono).
post #190 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM

Can someone who has the DTT901 mention if the analog pass thru feature on this works with the composite output jacks? Or does it only work with the RF output? Thanks!
post #191 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

By definition, RF output only. It's RF that's being passed through.

You're thinking of an actual analog tuner, which the CECB's aren't permitted to include.
post #192 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can someone who has the DTT901 mention if the analog pass thru feature on this works with the composite output jacks? Or does it only work with the RF output? Thanks!

Analog pass thru should be on the RF Output only regardless of the model. The A/V jacks will be "allows ON" when powered and transmit the current channel/screen... unless there is a feature to switch them "off" and rely on the RF only. But I don't see much of a reason to do that...

To get a "pass thru" onto the A/V jacks of your CECB would basically mean your converter is more like an analog VCR that is tuning in a channel and passing it along via it's A/V jacks to the TV.

If you need your TV has a single set of A/V jacks you might be able to use set of A/V splitter/combinders to increase the inputs from one set to two. Then you can might be able to feed the TV a signal from a VCR/DVD AND the converter box. Not sure what happens when both are "ON" at the same time but then another option is an A/V Switch to feed those various items to the TV via RF and A/V.
post #193 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Think of it as Passing the analog antenna signal Through to the TV , when powered off (via RF COAX).

When Powered On the CECB can provide the Digital information (sound and picture) to the TV via the RCA Composite (r/w/y) cables.
Note: The COAX cable can carry the Digital signal (converted to Analog) to the TV.
post #194 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
And the '901 is back on the Rat Shack website today, now listed as an In-Store Only item. Oh yeah.

So I think I'll stop at my local RS tonight, ask for it, and see what happens!
post #195 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 11:38 AM

I just now stopped by my local RatShack (Atlanta), and they only had the Digital Stream model. The salesman assured me that they would not be getting the Zenith DTT-901. He seemed certain of that. BrandsMart was completely out of CECB boxes, but they had 250 DTT-901's on order. Doesn't do me any good, as my coupons are about to expire.
post #196 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Apparently all Radio Shack corporate stores will only be carrying the DTX9950, while privately owned Radio Shack stores, at their option, will offer the DTT901.

This statement is based upon comments from managers at both corporate and independent stores. And yes Corporate stores will order the DTT901 for direct delivery to customers. The problem has been inventory availability on their company computer systems. Frankly that has struck me as odd given the 30 mile away independent RS store had a quantity of DTT-901s delivered last week and is getting 50 more next week.

-=[Bob]=-
My systems
post #197 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM

At the Circuit City in Downers Grove, IL they had big stacks of both the old and new models side by side. The new models had a manufacturing date of May 2008.

By contrast Best Buy down the street only had the original Insignia boxes with early 2008 manufacturing dates.
post #198 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) View Post

Apparently all Radio Shack corporate stores will only be carrying the DTX9950, while privately owned Radio Shack stores, at their option, will offer the DTT901.

When I asked Radio Shack several months ago if they would be selling Zenith DTT900, they said 'Not in this district' (Longmont Colorado). Here they carry DigitalStream DTX9900 => DTX9950.

To me, that implies District rather than Ownership?
post #199 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The Corporate Radio Shacks in my area only stock the DS but will order the 901 for customers wishing that box. I would think franchises would be able to stock what they want. Possibly even other brand boxes if they so deemed. I know my local franchised RS stocks many antenna parts not in the RS catalog. I also think they occasionally get hassled from RS corporate if the items are considered "competing" items of what RS sells.
In my area the vast majority of RSs are corporate. I think smaller towns may tend to be franchised. Best to call around before driving to the stores.
post #200 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Has anybody ordered a '901 from One*Call? Their website says "In Stock," but this note makes it unclear whether they will accept the coupons: "Coupon cannot be redeemed online. Coupon must be presented at checkout. You may not redeem coupon after purchase. Only one coupon per converter." Maybe on phone orders.....
post #201 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRip83 View Post

I went to a CC in Portland, OR (Jantzen Beach) this past Tues...

CC Jantzen Beach received five 901's this morning.
I picked up two, one exchanged for a 900, both with coupons.
There were two remaining when I left.
post #202 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Has anybody ordered a '901 from One*Call? Their website says "In Stock," but this note makes it unclear whether they will accept the coupons: "Coupon cannot be redeemed online. Coupon must be presented at checkout. You may not redeem coupon after purchase. Only one coupon per converter." Maybe on phone orders.....

See previous post on One.Call. I suggest you just call up and ask them.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14112236
post #203 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 04:12 PM

Local Radio Shack Has Zenith DTT901s IN STOCK!

I am on my way out the door to pick up my Zenith DTT901 from my local, small town, independent Radio Shack. Forty-three DTT901s were expected to arrive from the Dallas warehouse today, and they arrived right on schedule. Being on the waiting list, I got a call they were in, and a DTT901 is now waiting with my name on it.

The manager of this small town Radio Shack store knows what he is doing. People from the nearby larger city, 15 miles away with their own independent Radio Shack, WalMart, Kmart, and Rite Aid, drive up here just to buy a DTV converter.

Gotta go!!!!

Update:
Got my DTT901! Analog pass-through works great. Now all I need is the government to give me a $100 coupon for a new antenna system. I pickup ZERO digital stations. UHF sucks where I live. Rural America is getting screwed by DTV and the loss of the VHF frequencies!
post #204 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I bought a DTT-901 at the Boulder, Co CC store today. They had lots and lots of 901s and just a handful of 900s. All had April manufacturing dates.
post #205 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardly View Post

CC Jantzen Beach received five 901's this morning.
I picked up two, one exchanged for a 900, both with coupons.
There were two remaining when I left.

Perhaps there is a trickle of 901 models finding their way into the Portland area CC stores after all.

Coincidentally, I happened to visit the same store this afternoon finding the two remaining 901 models you mentioned. I had the February 900 with me so I exchanged it for one of the 901 models. One 901 remained at the Jantzen Beach CC around 3:30 p.m. There were probably around 75 900 models on display as well.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #206 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, it's been looking for the last month or so that CC is going to be the primary supplier for the 901. Unfortunately, we have ZERO CC stores in this fair I-O-Way Territory. We do have Best Buys, so I'm willing to settle for the Insignia version IF it doesn't suffer from the Left Channel Bug.

Bottom line is that electronics mfrs want to sell you a $3,000 big screen HDTV, not a measly little $60 converter box. The Gubmen's only concern is that A box is available from *somebody* in your area; obviously the coupon system wasn't set up for the informed shopper who wants a good box.
post #207 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Perhaps there is a trickle of 901 models finding their way into the Portland area CC stores after all.

Coincidentally, I happened to visit the same store this afternoon finding the two remaining 901 models you mentioned. I had the February 900 with me so I exchanged it for one of the 901 models. One 901 remained at the Jantzen Beach CC around 3:30 p.m. There were probably around 75 900 models on display as well.

The guy at the Portland CC (Jantzen Beach) store tells me on Tues that it may be weeks before they get the 901 model, and I got a call today telling me my order for the 901 was in stock -- hope the one you saw wasn't mine
post #208 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 PM

Thanks to those who posted availability of the 901 at CC . Picked up one today, with manuf date 05-08. Plugged it in, and it found a bunch of channels I could not get via analog antenna [this is for a 2nd floor tv with no access to cable - old house, and cable only can go to 1st floor w/o drilling more exterior access].

Was able to program the remote to control the TV too. Nice unit overall.

I expected to get a DTVpal, but the continued uncertainty (I had another week and a half on my coupon), and the price hike from DISHonest made me decide to give someone else my business. Very happy so far with the Zenith.

Thanks again to those who posted on this unit!
post #209 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRip83 View Post

The guy at the Portland CC (Jantzen Beach) store tells me on Tues that it may be weeks before they get the 901 model, and I got a call today telling me my order for the 901 was in stock -- hope the one you saw wasn't mine

Perhaps the Jantzen Beach CC got some special order 901 models in and placed them with the regular stock by mistake. I would call them and ask if they have your special order yet. If not I would insist that they order enough 901 models for stock and special orders so you need not be stressed over losing your 901 to someone else.

I called the Tigard CC store this morning. I inquired if they had "the Zenith DTT901 converter boxes, the ones with analog pass through?" They said "no." I asked "when will you be having the Zenith 901 in stock?" I was told "we will not be handling any analog pass through converter boxes."

Sounds like the Tigard store is having some problems.

post #210 of 2239 Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

I hope so. As I reported in post #88 on 6-15, the Tigard CC store claimed they still had 700 DTT-900's "in the back", and no DTT-901's. Would be my luck they will be the last store in the country to stock the 901's. And I'm not driving all over the metro area searching for one - would cost more in gas than for the box. My coupons expire June 27.

Think this would be a good story for the local TV stations... "Circuit City deliberately holds back the "good" DTV converter boxes, while selling off their stock of defective boxes to unsuspecting Senior citizens." Would be nice to light a fire under the ass of that Tigard store manager.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page