post #2221 of 2239 Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

The Magnavox & Sylvania boxes I tested had a 4-8 hour window ahead for the guide, only one of the things it did better than the 901.

I didn't know they had that. My ChannelMaster has a nice EPG, goes out about 10 hours and can click on each program for details; can also scroll the EPG channel by channel (vs. having to tune to a channel then hit EPG).

One of my Zenith-clone Artec models has a half-dayish EPG but I can't remember if the other model has it. I think it only detailed the now/next stuff though.

Those DTV Pals are supposed to be the ones to get for EPG, multi-day (maybe a week) and detailed. I think I've heard they can be [EPG] buggy though, take awhile to update which I think required leaving powered up or at least plugged in (I powerstrip everything to turn off those vampires GW dislikes).

Then there's the Apex DT-502 with a multi-day EPG. Now I've heard to avoid Apex, esp the 250 models (and I wouldn't waste money on their TVs, DVD players, etc.) but a reliable poster here said that one model is pretty decent. This one's feature-rich with stuff like s-video.

The ultimate box 'appears' to be a TRT model, feature-rich/s-video like the Apex plus maybe more (cable tuner?) and week-long EPG. Mysterious box due to lack of marketing, most of us didn't even know it existed until the CECB program had just ended when like one poster here bought one. It looks great on paper and he liked it. He had to buy it direct from TRT too and it wasn't cheap, sort of CM full retail price. Looks built like a CM too, big metal box, amp/antenna design company look, etc.

I believe there is/was a thread or two here dedicated to EPG topics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2239 Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

First thing I do with a new computer is burn the install disks for it. And don't lose them.
Sony is great, when my ME computer I got sick of they provided the drivers to move to XP.
My Vista Laptop has the install on the HDD so I hope to not need the install disks. It would be different if I were going to pass the computer to someone else and needed to NUKE the HDD. (Search for NUKE Hard Disk.)
I will be passing on the upgrade to W7 but Sony has the needed drivers for it.
My new W7 Laptop I also burned the install disks, just press a key during boot to reset the computer to factory state.

In other words you made backup disks... which is what I had to do on my HP as instructed on the first boot.

I re installed 98 on the one machine as it was the only clean install OS I was able to get my hands on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

Look at KAXT
http://www.avsforum.com/t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/7560#post_20406177
It sure looks pretty.
SHF

Hmm, all I get is my 20 channels here (including subs).. our PBS affiliate operates an audio only on 25.9 that reads the local paper... only thing out of the ordinary.

That guide would be a great service in all cities.
post #2223 of 2239 Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

I didn't know they had that. My ChannelMaster has a nice EPG, goes out about 10 hours and can click on each program for details; can also scroll the EPG channel by channel (vs. having to tune to a channel then hit EPG).
One of my Zenith-clone Artec models has a half-dayish EPG but I can't remember if the other model has it. I think it only detailed the now/next stuff though.

Then there's the Apex DT-502 with a multi-day EPG. Now I've heard to avoid Apex, esp the 250 models (and I wouldn't waste money on their TVs, DVD players, etc.) but a reliable poster here said that one model is pretty decent. This one's feature-rich with stuff like s-video.

Floydage, this is why I don't think Artec is really a Zenith clone, though seeing the screen art it may have been modeled after it.

I was going to pick up an Apex as a secondary option with my extra coupon, though they were bumped up an additional $20. They claimed the tuner wasn't as good, but the video & sound was better, being in the fringes I was satisfied with the Zenith. There was sopmething funky going on with the pass through on the Sylvania.. I think it was defective. I opted for the 3 Zenith boxes! (I only wish they didn't have that cold weather problem! frown.gif )

I had a bad experience with my Apex DVD player in 2002 I evaluated for 30 days, then returned.
post #2224 of 2239 Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In other words you made backup disks... which is what I had to do on my HP as instructed on the first boot.

Not that I've done many but the same here, they all instructed me to make backup disks on first boot; somehow I suspect that's the norm for safeties sake.

post #2225 of 2239 Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Floydage, this is why I don't think Artec is really a Zenith clone, though seeing the screen art it may have been modeled after it.
I was going to pick up an Apex as a secondary option with my extra coupon, though they were bumped up an additional $20. They claimed the tuner wasn't as good, but the video & sound was better, being in the fringes I was satisfied with the Zenith. There was sopmething funky going on with the pass through on the Sylvania.. I think it was defective. I opted for the 3 Zenith boxes! (I only wish they didn't have that cold weather problem! frown.gif )
I had a bad experience with my Apex DVD player in 2002 I evaluated for 30 days, then returned.

I base it on having the same major chipset and similar looking OSD from what I've seen posted here (could be due to code in the brain chip though). Me wonders if Artec went the extra mile with the EPG as I suspect the boxes in general are capable of more; costs extra development, time, and test (certification). Of course there's my loose terminology for clone - modeled, knock-off, etc.

Do you remember which Apex model? I think said poster stated the tuner was better on the 502 too. What's weird is it appeared to me that the 502 is the precursor to the 250; wouldn't surprise me in this wonderful world of cost-reduction that the 502 is a better product. I was going to buy one at a Best Buy here that claimed to have one left but after further review it was an inventory error and all they had going forward were 250s (and lots of them).

Deja vu. A friend gave me an Apex DVD player they said quit working, it worked when I hooked it up. Thereafter it worked sporadically, I would have to power reset it when it wouldn't work then it would work again. Still have it as a bedroom/backup.

post #2226 of 2239 Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Do you remember which Apex model? I think said poster stated the tuner was better on the 502 too. What's weird is it appeared to me that the 502 is the precursor to the 250; wouldn't surprise me in this wonderful world of cost-reduction that the 502 is a better product. .

Yes it was the 250... I purchased my 901's in the Spring & Summer of '08, all BB had was the 250's at the time. These were suppose to have a better picture & decoding, but if it had a poor tuner & I'm out in the fringes, & had Canadian interference, what's the point? BB's return policy is kind of strict, I didn't want to go through the BS, so I never bothered to include in my tests.
post #2227 of 2239 Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it was the 250... I purchased my 901's in the Spring & Summer of '08, all BB had was the 250's at the time. These were suppose to have a better picture & decoding, but if it had a poor tuner & I'm out in the fringes, & had Canadian interference, what's the point? BB's return policy is kind of strict, I didn't want to go through the BS, so I never bothered to include in my tests.

Smart move from what I've read about the 250. It and the 502 have s-video output. They looked real good on paper. I'd consider a 502 on the cheap mainly for its EPG although the other features are a bonus; I'm assuming it's a better box per what I've read here.

I tought I taw a putty tat! [a post came and went on this Apex subject confirming the 502 did come before the 250 and something else about BB).

post #2228 of 2239 Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

post #2229 of 2239 Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Poor reviews on the 502 ....
http://www.amazon.com/APEX-DT502-Analog-Digital-Converter/dp/B001KVMMJU

Yeah I saw that some time back but it looked like the 250 and 502 reviews were convoluted with each other (who knows with Amazon?). But it is an Apex...
Of course maybe the few AVX folk here that praised it were just lucky/timely.

Speaking of Amazon, what frustration today! I thought I found some great deals on my pool pump parts from one particular seller. Spent hours determining what to buy, blah blah blah and even some email with them to confirm info about the parts (mfger/OEM, some the same part with different prices?!). Then I go to check out only to see a $150 shipping fee for $50 worth of parts! Turns out they charge a significant shipping fee for EACH item. Even gets multiplied for each instance of the same item. So a $1 part suddenly became $6. No wonder the deals looked so good. rolleyes.gifeek.giftongue.gif

post #2230 of 2239 Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

As the Cold weather is settling in, I've decided to just leave the 901 'on', With the Power fluxuations post 'Sandy' I've been unplugging everything before I leave for work, upon plugging the master tap in, the 901 is reluctant to come on .. takes a few power cycles to just get the red standby on.

Still works, though my 2 units in use just don't like the cold. (Temps 65 F or Below)

Decided to post again in case anyone found a concrete solution on exacty what components are fickle.
post #2231 of 2239 Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 901's still work fine. I had eight boxes for myself and elderly relatives. Over half of the tv's have died (or been replaced with new ones). The three 901 in use still function fine, but are not used everyday (more like weekly). I think the tvs will die before the boxes do.
post #2232 of 2239 Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Aside of the cold weather quirks, these boxes function great. I'm surprised that these arent' being dumped in goodwill & usables stores yet. I leave the one box always on in the bedroom, the one downstairs I just use as an add-on for a VCR for time shift purposes... which I haven't done a lot of lately.

I've nailed down the problem to April/May 2008 production dates.
post #2233 of 2239 Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Are there good sources for pre-owned or new-old-stock DTT900 or DTT901 CECBs? I gave away both of mine to parents who relied upon OTA. I do recall it seemed to be a very good box, the only gripe was the remote control buttons were very small - and of course the original DTT900 units did have an audio problem with distorted sibilant sounds.

Per Amazon's reviews:

DTT 901 - current price $124.99 - 192 REVIEWS, 4.4 out of 5 stars
DTT 901 (different listing) current price $116.98 - 15 REVIEWS, 3.93 out of 5 STARS
DTT 900 - current price $94.99 - 4 REVIEWS, 3.75 out of 5 stars
Insignia DX-DXA1 - current price $110.00 - 70 REVIEWS, exact star rating not shown, 56 out of 70 reviews are 4 or 5 star

The big drawback to these products is that the manufacturer warranty probably would not be honored with a "new old stock" unit, and certainly not with a used unit.

Here's what I found on other CECBs which appear to still be in production:

Supersonic SC-55 - current price $39.99 - 89 REVIEWS, 3.7 out of 5 stars

Coby DTV-102 - current price $43.72 - 45 REVIEWS, 3.3 out of 5 stars

HomeWorx HW-150 PVR (fancier than a CECB) - current price $45.98, 15 reviews. 4.1 out of 5 stars

Access HD 1050-D - current price $69.95 - 23 REVIEWS, exact star rating not shown, 13 of 23 reviews are 4 or 5 star

Access HD 1050-D (another listing) - current price $58.00 - 240 REVIEWS, exact star rating not shown, 86 of 240 reviews are 4 or 5 star (looks like average is 2.5 out of 5 stars)

Digital Stream DTX9950 - current price $59.50 - 49 REVIEWS, exact star rating not shown, 18 of 49 reviews are 4 or 5 star (looks like average is 2.5 out of 5 stars)

KCPI DT504 - current price $31.99 - 2 REVIEWS - 2.5 OUT OF 5 STARS

Apex DT250A - current price $37.00 - 126 REVIEWS, exact star rating not shown, 19 out of 126 reviews are 4 or 5 star (looks like average is around 1.5 out of 5 stars - NOTE that 91 out of 126 reviews give a "1 star" rating).

Magnavox TB110MW9 - current price $59.00 - 229 REVIEWS, exact star rating not shown, 143 out of 229 reviews are 4 or 5 star; looks like approximately 3.3 out of 5 stars

Craig converter - current price $35.99 - 27 REVIEWS, 3 out of 5 stars

There are more, but I think we are getting the idea, the best overall CECBs are no longer in production, and in general reading all of the different reviews, it is apparent that even the LG/Zenith/Insignia CECBs do have a somewhat limited life expectancy.

CECBs by Sunkey and Apex are rated very low.
post #2234 of 2239 Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Late this afternoon, I stopped by a local thrift store and scored the DTT901's predecessor, the DTT900 - with an August 2008 manufacture date when the audio problems had been fixed. It didn't have a remote but I had a DTT900 remote already, and have seen replacements for sale on Amazon. I paid a whopping $13. It works great.
post #2235 of 2239 Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
As I recall, the only difference between the 900 and the 901 was the pass-through feature, which shouldn't be a factor anymore as most all analog has gone away. And there was the sound issue, already mentioned. I still have one of the 901's hooked up to an older DVD/HDD recorder that only has an analog tuner. I use it occasionally to time-shift a show or two. Not that often anymore. I had another 901 and an Insignia that I sold at a yard sale for five bucks each. And I gave away a Magnavox to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law as the tuner on their Sony went kaput. At least they can view over the air TV again.

Harry
post #2236 of 2239 Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Indeed for most folks but I use the pass-thru to daisy chain devices. Too bad they didn't make them like a VCR pass-thru though although there is one model of Zinwell that allows one to tune with the Zinwell and watch on composite while passing thru the antenna feed (RF) to another device (i.e. like a VCR).

post #2237 of 2239 Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't know if anyone is still watching this site, but I have a question. I have 3 DTT901s running off an outdoor antenna. I put an amplifier inline last night and finally got good signal from local PBS! Well, I thought I did. 2 out of 3 ain't bad? One box still shows absolutely NO signal on that channel, even though all the other channels show similar signal strength as the other Zeniths. Same exact signal path as one other Zenith. WBRA, actual channel 3. ?
post #2238 of 2239 Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe the PBS signal is on the fringe and you're witnessing unit to unit variation. Might try swapping units and see if it follows the one box to rule out any cable and/or splitter issues. It's also possible they may have changed tuners intra-model - compare the serial numbers.

How many setups do you need to run simultaneously? Could use a 3-way switch rather than a splitter or a 2-way switch + a 2-way splitter to cut down the path loss.

post #2239 of 2239 Old 03-17-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhdtv View Post

Don't know if anyone is still watching this site, but I have a question. I have 3 DTT901s running off an outdoor antenna. I put an amplifier inline last night and finally got good signal from local PBS! Well, I thought I did. 2 out of 3 ain't bad? One box still shows absolutely NO signal on that channel, even though all the other channels show similar signal strength as the other Zeniths. Same exact signal path as one other Zenith. WBRA, actual channel 3. ?
Have you tried connecting the third box, which does not receive PBS, to one of the other antenna inputs which DOES receive PBS? Your house's internal wiring might lose a couple of dB of signal strength between different rooms of the house.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page