AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Now a firmware change is not out of the question since 2007 was early on for CECB's and there were changes for some boxes to add analog pass-thru. The question is did any of these companies spend the extra resources to modify and test/qualify the DST change to firmware on low profit margin products?
I doubt it.

BTW, these boxes are still working today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2273 Old 10-07-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
No, the rules changed in 2007. I remember having the same issue with some of my boxes (other brands).
& my 901 was made in Mid '08.

Actually a late September or early/mid October goes back years ago, there were several changes I forget the timeline. Know the 901 is off on the other end too. Best change it manually.

I'm afraid to be doing any firmware changes on Electronics in fear of turning something into a brick.
post #2253 of 2273 Old 10-07-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I feel your fear, heck I get nervous just doing those straightforward updates on my Sony BR player with all the disk fun. Yeah it's not that big of deal to change manually, and given that, I doubt many of these CECB mfgers spent any money on a fix post-design (i.e. I'm thinking they were designed before the DST change). From my EE experience, the ugly thing about software mods is that 'ideally' they need to retest&certify everything that is controlled by the software to make sure something else didn't get bugged up (it happens, quite frequently too).

Glad to hear these boxes are still working well, I would expect no less for this brand. I mean they actually built in a real power supply!
Still good with my boxes (I don't have any of these) but they don't get nearly as much use anymore. One Channel Master almost daily to tune an HDD/DVD recorder, another one a few times a week to tune a DVD recorder or a second TV (coon-ass picture&picture). A couple of lonely VCR's being tuned by a couple of lonely Zinwells (one Zinwell I'll sometimes hook to the DVDR for timer recording when I'm not around); but hey that Sony VCR makes a fine clock! (although I did have to record 3 shows about a month ago). Two more lonely Zinwells tuning lonely kitchen and office TV's. And the loneliest of them all - an Artec 'setup' in an insulated fabric cooler bag (Dale Jr.!) to tune a 5" LCD in my 'RV' (van lol). I'm not counting spare boxes in storage.
phildaant likes this.

post #2254 of 2273 Old 10-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

I'm afraid to be doing any firmware changes on Electronics in fear of turning something into a brick.
I suppose that is something to think about. A quick search gave me the following info:
The Tuner is an LG EBL38878103 This is a newer tuner that makes the unit's analog pass-thru function work. The CPU is an LGDT1111T Online info says its a 200 Mhz ARM CPU with Java facilities, little other info about it - it's probably an exclusive in-house chip The software is on a MX T075220 / 29LV160CTTC-70 Flash chip The work memory is a Quimonda HYB25DC256163CE-5 16-bit 256 MBs chip

While ARM processors are not all that hard to work on it seems you have little info about the processor and though there might be a jtag port on the board, I don't see that anyone has tried to use it.

Now you could buy a RCA DTA800 and play with it to get some experience. There is an idiot (a-hem) in the thread in this section for the box that has dumped flash and RAM and disassembled the code to learn a lot about the box. You can get them used for about $20--not too much when you think about aduino and raspberry-pi board costs. You get a box with cover, power supply, serial port, couple of buttons and LED, I2C port, SPI, remote functions and graphics with tuner and modulator--all sorts of things to play with. You can go timed ch changes with the info that has been developed. Lots of built in features that the serial port gets you. And if you brick it, you just unsolder the flash and reprogram it.
post #2255 of 2273 Old 10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of tuners....

I finally opened my iView3500 up & took a look see, hooked up to a 20" CRT & ran it via the RF modulator on Channel 4, set up for 4:3 Pan & Scan, (I may want to use on a LCD 16:9 in the future though).

I played a 320P (what I believe is a) MP4 file, as these are compressd, is the iView uncompressing on the fly, or am I viewing in compressed mode, or is it upconverting to 480p? I thought the PQ was near DVD quality I was impressed, yet not so impressed with the sound, sounded distorted, I'll have to wait to view more files to give a specific evaluation. I'm planning on converting some of these files to DVD, so I was curious. Did get one freeze where I couldn't toggle between directories, just exited & returned.

My front numeric display is red much to my surprise, was expecting green, though it mixes it up a bit not a problem.

Nice guide, went about 16 hours ahead in most cases!

Comparing the tuner to my Zenith DT901, the iView did not handle my problematic VHF channels well at all compared to the Zenith, however the stronger channels were acceptable with good PQ & sound.

I use quick connect F connectors, where they fit very snugly on the Zenith, while they fit loose on the iView, needed a bit of bending them to get them to stay put.

Anyhow it's a new unit with a channel 3/4 switch on the back, not sure of the firmware.
post #2256 of 2273 Old 10-08-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I dunno Bis but I recall there was somewhat of an expert on those iViews over yonder:

Post DTV Transition CECB converter boxes availability!

I think it was jjeff. Maybe another member too. Posts were about a page back.
Somehow I doubt it came out in time to get its own thread here.
Yeah me thinks the build quality can't touch the Zenith. Buggy too but hopefully minor stuff.

OT: They ruined this site with auto-playing video ads and such nonsense that clusterfck my page loads. Getting to dread coming here...

post #2257 of 2273 Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually how would you flash a 900 or 901? No ports.
phildaant likes this.
post #2258 of 2273 Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No mysterious unused connector, or maybe even just connector solder pads, on the PCB? Probably just a few pins.

I remember something once about a CECB that could be updated OTA, seemed like it was via a PBS channel.
phildaant likes this.

post #2259 of 2273 Old 10-09-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Question

Quote:
I'd assume you send it to the company and let them give a newer one? [shrugs]
post #2260 of 2273 Old 10-09-2014, 12:06 PM

The post I read mentioned a ten pin set of pads near the power connector that might have an upgrade feature on it--they were guessing that the factory had to have some sort of upgrade/flash load feature, and I would guess that the ten pins could be jtag port. Otherwise you would have to pull the flash chip (lots of pins and lots of work) and program it on another machine then re-solder it to the board. That is about all you can do without some sort of processor data sheet.

The RCA box has serial port to upgrade flash (Broadcom processor). Channel Master has jtag port (STM processor). You might look to see what LG uses in other processors, your box might have the same.

--follow up edit--
Look here
Quote:
http://www.devttys0.com/2012/08/reverse-engineering-a-dtv-converter/
Seems to have the same Processor as your box and a little output form the serial port on that box--might be yours has it too.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by jvvh5897; 10-09-2014 at 12:46 PM.
post #2261 of 2273 Old 10-09-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

And then there's RS-232.

post #2262 of 2273 Old 10-11-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

OT: They ruined this site with auto-playing video ads and such nonsense that clusterfck my page loads. Getting to dread coming here...
Get Chrome as your browser and then add-in AdBlock Plus. I see no ads and no pop-up videos - on any site.

Harry
phildaant likes this.
post #2263 of 2273 Old 10-11-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post
Get Chrome as your browser and then add-in AdBlock Plus. I see no ads and no pop-up videos - on any site.

Harry
Thanks. I was going to go with Chrome but requirements suggested I need twice as much RAM. So Firefox for now but a newer PC is waiting to be set up.

Do you have any issues with it over-blocking? Like stuff that you need to pop up to work properly on certain sites?

post #2264 of 2273 Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If a site requires a pop-up to work, you can set it to ignore blocking on that site. It rarely "gets in the way" and is quite a good thing on some of these sites that bombard you with ads.
phildaant and Floydage like this.
post #2265 of 2273 Old 10-11-2014, 12:19 PM

BTW, back on page 58 of this thread there are photos of the insides of both 900 and 901 Zenith boxes. If you look at the traces of the 10 pad spot near the power connector they all seem to go right to processor or have resistors and run to the processor--that looks more like a jtag port to me than anything else.

But if you look at the back of the box, there seems to be a four connection ribbon cable connector that goes to a couple of transistors--maybe--it could be a serial port, likely TTLish rather than rs232 levels.

But I don't own one of these, so you guys are on your own.
Floydage likes this.
post #2266 of 2273 Old 10-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Although after thinking about it a little and looking at the bin file in the site that hacked Digital stream box, I wonder if the DS box might have used Zenith software. If you look at the boot of the DS boot you can see some strings that use "TFTP" to load the box--could that 10 pin have been used to interface with web for TFTP? About the only way to know would be to dump the flash of one of your boxes. And about the only way to start doing that is to test what you can do with the box as is and if no way to dump the box found by info found in the DS dump but using your box's ports, pull the flash and read it outside the box.
post #2267 of 2273 Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No mysterious unused connector, or maybe even just connector solder pads, on the PCB? Probably just a few pins.

I remember something once about a CECB that could be updated OTA, seemed like it was via a PBS channel.
I thought that was only for setting the times in the latter VCR's via an analog signal? I just leave mine with the 4 dashes now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
I'd assume you send it to the company and let them give a newer one? [shrugs]
I don't think that's gonna happen, these are at EOL, you would be hard pressed to even get support for these.

Was there any firmware changes?

BTW, the iView 3500STB tuner isn't as strong as the 901's in picking off my weaker signals.... the guide, & USB features are great though!
phildaant likes this.
post #2268 of 2273 Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Speaking of tuners....I finally opened my iView3500 up & took a look see, hooked up to a 20" CRT & ran it via the RF modulator on Channel 4, set up for 4:3 Pan & Scan, (I may want to use on a LCD 16:9 in the future though).........I played a 320P (what I believe is a) MP4 file, as these are compressd, is the iView uncompressing on the fly, or am I viewing in compressed mode, or is it upconverting to 480p? I thought the PQ was near DVD quality I was impressed, yet not so impressed with the sound, sounded distorted, I'll have to wait to view more files to give a specific evaluation. I'm planning on converting some of these files to DVD, so I was curious. Did get one freeze where I couldn't toggle between directories, just exited & returned.........My front numeric display is red much to my surprise, was expecting green, though it mixes it up a bit not a problem.

Nice guide, went about 16 hours ahead in most cases! ...........Comparing the tuner to my Zenith DT901, the iView did not handle my problematic VHF channels well at all compared to the Zenith, however the stronger channels were acceptable with good PQ & sound.
Thank you for this information. I have long been wondering whether the tuning performance of the iView STB3500 was as good as the Zenith/Insignia boxes. Obviously, having full HD is attractive, but the two DTT-900 units deployed in our house work well for their intended purpose.
post #2269 of 2273 Old 10-15-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought that was only for setting the times in the latter VCR's via an analog signal? I just leave mine with the 4 dashes now.
Is/was a DTV channel. Maybe a Zinwell and/or a DTV Pal I was thinking of. But seemed like the AVS poster had a link to a page of all kinds of update stuff.

I manually set the clock on my Sony VCR as it makes for a nice living room clock above my TV; in standby it doesn't blow me away in brightness and color. Then I'm partly set if I have to do a rushed timer recording, just have to set the Zinwell. The DVDR takes longer to set plus I have it unplugged since I don't use it that much.

post #2270 of 2273 Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post
Thank you for this information. I have long been wondering whether the tuning performance of the iView STB3500 was as good as the Zenith/Insignia boxes. Obviously, having full HD is attractive, but the two DTT-900 units deployed in our house work well for their intended purpose.
I had read raves on this & the Homeworx tuner, which are supposevely identical.

I would had liked to give this a better assesment over OTA via my outdoor antenna (which had the lines cut or blown amp on Memorial day weekend). For all practical purposes I feel it can accomplish what I'd need it for (eventually for an OTA DVR which the Zenith cannot do) but like you, I'm not retiring the 2 Zeniths yet (I still have one (actually 2 counting the B&W) CRT's), I needed to see if this worked in case I needed to return.

My take it was likely worth the $37 out the door I paid for it, full HD is nice never know when a nice flat monitor may appear too.
post #2271 of 2273 Old 10-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a zenith ddt 901 stb that it's giving me problems. hoping someone on this board can help me out, every time i try to turn on the box on, the box does not want to go on. I have to unplug the cord from the outlet then plug it back up again and try to turn on zenitht box with the remote. most times i have to repeat this several times before it stays on. i have an inklin that is capacitor or power supply problem does anybody experience this issue with their ddt901.

Doug.

Last edited by uhfyagi; 10-23-2014 at 08:55 PM.
post #2272 of 2273 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
I have a zenith ddt 901 stb that it's giving me problems. hoping someone on this board can help me out, every time i try to turn on the box on, the box does not want to go on. I have to unplug the cord from the outlet then plug it back up again and try to turn on zenitht box with the remote. most times i have to repeat this several times before it stays on. i have an inklin that is capacitor or power supply problem does anybody experience this issue with their ddt901.

Doug.
Doug,

Do you notice this more in colder weather & what is the Year/Month of your production date?

66 degrees or lower seemed to be a magic number, though I think that has risen a bit. I leave my 901 on 24/7 on my upstairs set as I don't want to fiddle with it. Try heating the top on it with a hairdryer for a bit & see if it comes on immeadiately.

You likely have the same problem I have.

I posted about this pages ago, started during the first winter I had them, seemed to go away in the summer months when the house heated up to a livable temperature (we all can't live in Southern California or Florida). Now it occasionally will do this when I have a power outage in the somewhat warmer months too.
post #2273 of 2273 Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Doug,

Do you notice this more in colder weather & what is the Year/Month of your production date?

66 degrees or lower seemed to be a magic number, though I think that has risen a bit. I leave my 901 on 24/7 on my upstairs set as I don't want to fiddle with it. Try heating the top on it with a hairdryer for a bit & see if it comes on immeadiately.

You likely have the same problem I have.

I posted about this pages ago, started during the first winter I had them, seemed to go away in the summer months when the house heated up to a livable temperature (we all can't live in Southern California or Florida). Now it occasionally will do this when I have a power outage in the somewhat warmer months too.
have not noticed the temperature hitch, i bought an insignia box to replace it. zenith manuf date is april 08 i remember dropping box on the floor maybe thats reason is malfunctioning.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page