DigitalStream DTX9950 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 313 Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Chuck the cookies being referred to by Floydage are so you can use the QUOTE button on THIS site since you seem to have an issue with using it. Not on a converter box. As I said until you use the QUOTE button when you are QUOTING people you are not going to get help from anyone. What is your aversion to using the QUOTE button?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 313 Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I gave up.
Yes, computer cookies.
Sounds like he has a bad box or bad hook-up. Needs to be step back and start from square 1. Start with a simple setup (TV and converter box) and add other pieces to the setup as each previous setup proves itself to work properly.

post #273 of 313 Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Liked: 10
BCF>>>>>Chuck the cookies being referred to by Floydage are so you can use the QUOTE button on THIS site since you seem to have an issue with using it. Not on a converter box. As I said until you use the QUOTE button when you are QUOTING people you are not going to get help from anyone. What is your aversion to using the QUOTE button?ReplyQuote Multi
chucjk>>>>>sorry bout dat BCF.....i'm new.... need to learn the format a little better.....this is not easy to discribe on a forum......
Floyd>>>>>I gave up.
Yes, computer cookies.
Sounds like he has a bad box or bad hook-up. Needs to be step back and start from square 1. Start with a simple setup (TV and converter box) and add other pieces to the setup as each previous setup proves itself to work properly.ReplyQuote Multi
chuck>>>>>yes, i i know i might need to start from a basic hookup and add components.....grrrrrr....this could take a long time..... maybe all afernoon or all day trying to isolate the problem.....just to be clear this is for DTV from a mountain transmitter.....the mountain made the change to digital......i was wondering if anybody else has had simalar problems with DTV from a transmitter through an antennae......it's working but has some problems.....im using good quality RG6 and good RCA audio video cords.....i tried changing out RCA cords and RG6 coax behind the system.....no change.....some channnels good, some not as good and some have problems......bars rolling up the screen on some channels.....some channels bar roll is minimul and some channels it's very noticable.....audio humm on.some channels is very noticable and some not so bad or not noticable.....form what i have seen the signals come in from a satellite then get bounced or relayed around translated to the mountain by a dish..... i did not have these audio/video problems on analogue....i dunno if the problem is at my place.....just now with the DTV converter......ill keep working on it.....if you have anymore suggestions let me know.....
post #274 of 313 Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't even see this last post until now because on the preview page I thought it was old post #271.

Anyhow GL with it! Experiment starting small, piece by piece, and definitely try another converter box.

post #275 of 313 Old 08-18-2012, 01:38 PM

If the guy can't even use the QUOTE function properly I don't think we can help him. I'd really like to. I have this converter box, but I'm not trying to decipher his posts.
post #276 of 313 Old 08-28-2012, 01:41 PM

have another problem i did not mention......the signal keeps getting lost then comes back on.....it will cycle off and on.....when the signal is lost the video and audio will freeze then go to a black screen....no signal on the metter on the remote with a weak signal on the screen.....the signal will come back and play for awhile then repeat......other channels might still be working.....the technician at the mountain is telling me if the BIT rate is any lower it might not work at all.....
all the DTV signals come from a satellite....could it be the BIT rate is too high at the source before it is bounced to a satellite then back to the earth?.....anybody have the same problems with DTV as i mentioned in #273 and in the this post with lost signals?
post #277 of 313 Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklp61 View Post

have another problem i did not mention......the signal keeps getting lost then comes back on.....it will cycle off and on.....when the signal is lost the video and audio will freeze then go to a black screen....no signal on the metter on the remote with a weak signal on the screen.....the signal will come back and play for awhile then repeat......other channels might still be working

That just sounds like a normal weak signal condition to me. My Motorola HD tuner has been doing that recently on my PBS station that has been flaky for some reason (some days so weak > nothing and some days the meter level is stronger than any other station); could be a station problem (it is PBS) or an interference problem. Watch out for ham radio operators with flaky equipment spitting out intermodulation distortion and/or harmonics.

post #278 of 313 Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM

chuck>>>>>have another problem i did not mention......the signal keeps getting lost then comes back on.....it will cycle off and on.....when the signal is lost the video and audio will freeze then go to a black screen....no signal on the metter on the remote with a weak signal on the screen.....the signal will come back and play for awhile then repeat......other channels might still be working

Floyd>>>>>That just sounds like a normal weak signal condition to me. My Motorola HD tuner has been doing that recently on my PBS station that has been flaky for some reason (some days so weak > nothing and some days the meter level is stronger than any other station); could be a station problem (it is PBS) or an interference problem. Watch out for ham radio operators with flaky equipment spitting out intermodulation distortion and/or harmonics.ReplyQuote Multi 0

chuck>>>>>i have a 30 decible mast mounted amp on it.....im in a rural area miles from the transmitter with a mountain in the way.....cant see the transmitter......the transmitter is only 100watts.
when it is working the meter is in the green at about 90-92....the video goes out then the signal is on 0....it could be out for 5 secs and sometimes for minutes waiting before the signal comes back.....other channels are still working......EX: all signals on 21 and all the sub channels like 21.1, 21.2, 21.3, and 21.4 will go out...ill channel up out of the 21.....other channels are working.....the technician lowered the BIT rate....it helped alot.....if lowered anymore it may not work at all.....still has problems.....PBS is one of the better channels......video good with little hummm in the audio.....im wondereing if the BIT rate from the original source to the satelitte is still to high??.....
post #279 of 313 Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM

well it looks like the thread went dead.....what is going to happen with this DTV thing??....seems the problems are the same everywhere......are the engineers and techs working on it to fix the problems??.....some channels are ok, some are not good....problems.....if it was the box the problems would be everywhere on every channel....i reached out as far as i could go.....are you guys talking to anybody about the problems with DTV?.....
post #280 of 313 Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well it looks like the thread went dead.....what is going to happen with this DTV thing??....seems the problems are the same everywhere......are the engineers and techs working on it to fix the problems??.....some channels are ok, some are not good....problems.....if it was the box the problems would be everywhere on every channel....i reached out as far as i could go.....are you guys talking to anybody about the problems with DTV?.....

RIP biggrin.gif. I don't know what to tell ya other than what I suggested in post #274. Not everywhere, works fine for me unless I'm using my kitchen/rabbit ear setup (OK, small UHF loop but "rabbit ear" is more fun to say). I sent an email to the PBS station here but no response thus far, although it hasn't been completely dead this week (still flaky though).

It's you, not me. wink.gif

post #281 of 313 Old 09-08-2012, 12:39 AM

chas>>>>well it looks like the thread went dead.....what is going to happen with this DTV thing??....seems the problems are the same everywhere......are the engineers and techs working on it to fix the problems??.....some channels are ok, some are not good....problems.....if it was the box the problems would be everywhere on every channel....i reached out as far as i could go.....are you guys talking to anybody about the problems with DTV?.....

Floyd>>>>>RIP . I don't know what to tell ya other than what I suggested in post #274. Not everywhere, works fine for me unless I'm using my kitchen/rabbit ear setup (OK, small UHF loop but "rabbit ear" is more fun to say). I sent an email to the PBS station here but no response thus far, although it hasn't been completely dead this week (still flaky though).
It's you, not me. ReplyQuote Multi 0

chas>>>>RIP, huh??.....im not sure you understood what i was implying......what i meant was there are similar problems but seems to be little or no interest in discussing this anymore......all my stuff is working good and worked fine on anologue....i dont want to go into the politics on this.....the problems are known but not much effort to fix the problems......now i will let it RIP......i watch too much TV anyway.....
post #282 of 313 Old 09-08-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

chas>>>>RIP, huh??.....im not sure you understood what i was implying......what i meant was there are similar problems but seems to be little or no interest in discussing this anymore......all my stuff is working good and worked fine on anologue....i dont want to go into the politics on this.....the problems are known but not much effort to fix the problems......now i will let it RIP......i watch too much TV anyway.....

I was humoring (biggrin.gif) about the thread (DigitalStream DTX9950), not your discussion. Have you tried another DTV tuner?

post #283 of 313 Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM

floyd>>>>>I was humoring () about the thread (DigitalStream DTX9950), not your discussion. Have you tried another DTV tuner?

no i have not tried another box but have noticed something interesting. im in a RV coach. the converter noise humm is similar to the audio hummm. does anybody have a solution to filter out the converter noise in the AC120v converter in the coach.
post #284 of 313 Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no i have not tried another box but have noticed something interesting. im in a RV coach. the converter noise humm is similar to the audio hummm. does anybody have a solution to filter out the converter noise in the AC120v converter in the coach.

There's filter devices for that but I don't know any details. Also could be the converter (RV generator?) isn't filtering properly, bad component(s) or such. If it's one of those cheap converters that plug in a cig lighter they're probably not that good at filtering to begin with.

Does a DTX9950 use a wall-wart or have a built-in power supply? I have noise problems with my Zinwell wall-warts - flip on a fan on the same circuit and it screws up the Zinwell output (transient > only the instant the fan is switched on or speed changed, OK once the fan is running steady-state); the Zinwells use a switching regulator type wall-wart and they obviously didn't filter the voltage enough in the box either.

post #285 of 313 Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 AM

floyd>>>>>Also could be the converter (RV generator?) If it's one of those cheap converters that plug in a cig lighter they're probably not that good at filtering to begin with.
chuck>>>>>not using a generator. Its is not a cheap converter with a cig lighter connection for power. its a built in converter in a cabinet. inside the coach. Removed the 30amp plug for a park, hard wired a 30amp breaker on the bus bar with 8gauge stranded from the meter to the converter.

floyd>>>>Does a DTX9950 use a wall-wart or have a built-in power supply?
chas>>>>standard plug to the wall. No power supply. Very interesting. There is no noticable noise or humm in analogue FM radio signals, DVDs and music CDs through the 2 channel stereo anolgue receiver. Only the DTV converter box audio hummm...
post #286 of 313 Old 09-24-2012, 02:50 PM

chuck please tell me why you have an aversion to using the quote button? Did the quote button kill your puppy when you were a boy or you biased against quote buttons?
post #287 of 313 Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

chas>>>>standard plug to the wall. No power supply. Very interesting. There is no noticable noise or humm in analogue FM radio signals, DVDs and music CDs through the 2 channel stereo anolgue receiver. Only the DTV converter box audio hummm...

Well there ya go, like I said before try another converter box. Of course there's the TV unless you ruled that out with some other source (VCR, DVD player, etc.).

Also keep in mind the converter boxes were inexpensive and quickly designed in many cases so their power supply filtering may be lacking in performance.

post #288 of 313 Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 PM

BCF>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

chuck please tell me why you have an aversion to using the quote button? Did the quote button kill your puppy when you were a boy or you biased against quote buttons?

chuck>>>>i did not see a difference....it was easier to drag, copy paste in the reply window. ....ill use the quote....alot of forums i have visited do the same copy paste.....i guess some do things different.....
post #289 of 313 Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Well there ya go, like I said before try another converter box. Of course there's the TV unless you ruled that out with some other source (VCR, DVD player, etc.).
Also keep in mind the converter boxes were inexpensive and quickly designed in many cases so their power supply filtering may be lacking in performance.

chuck>>>>im still w8ing to hear if others have an audio hummm in digital mode....anologue pass works....there are no anologue signals to test the anologue bypass. ...blue screen and no sound on all the old anologue channels.....

and yes i know everything is cheap junk from china.....we have no chioce.....its all China or somewhere else where the labor and operations is the cheapest and no QC.....the american people are very much at fault for this......Congress , the american people and the unions did not understand basic economics....Congress and the american people made a lot of bad decisions through the decades......big business told the american people waaaaaay back to do not vote for the wage increase....rising wages and the rising costs of operations creates inflation....they kept voting for the wage increase and union strike increase.....they got what they wanted creating more and more inflation.....jobs left the country to wherever the labor and costs of operations is the cheapest with little or no QC.....your not telling me anything i dont know.....im fedup with all the junk.....
post #290 of 313 Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and yes i know everything is cheap junk from china.

Not what I said or implied but I understand the issue. My ChannelMasters (US) were mfgered in Bulgaria. My point is more about the design, not so much the mfg. But it does look like DigitalStream is Korean if I looked them up correctly.

The analog bypass probably won't tell you anything as the RF signal passes through an RF switch near the coax input and never gets processed by the internal circuitry. Some bypasses don't even need the box to be powered up.

Congratulations on successfully achieving the Quote feature level! Now you can get BCF off your back. biggrin.gif

post #291 of 313 Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 PM

will somebody please answer the Q......are you getting some audio humm and bars rolling up the screen?
post #292 of 313 Old 09-28-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

will somebody please answer the Q......are you getting some audio humm and bars rolling up the screen?

You could be waiting for a long time...keep in mind that if they're NOT having that problem then they probably won't reply.

Reminds me though that I once had a problem like that when I was sharing my antenna between two TVs. It only did it when both TVs were on and it was really bad. I don't have the two TVs in the setup anymore but if I recall correctly it stopped doing it quite some time later. It was some sort of ground loop/feedback issue but there was nothing unusual about the setup that should have caused it. Possible causes IMO were:

1) There was a cable company ground wire using my house ground connection that could have been feeding in noise from a bad amp and they since replaced it.
2) One of the TVs had a damaged tuner (cable yank) and might have been supplying an undesirable voltage along the coax (I remember feeling a mild shock when handling the coax center conductor once).
3) The other TV was a cheap 19" RF-only TV and might have had inferior isolation/filtering. It was the major producer of the noise.

post #293 of 313 Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:

You could be waiting for a long time...keep in mind that if they're NOT having that problem then they probably won't reply.
Reminds me though that I once had a problem like that when I was sharing my antenna between two TVs. It only did it when both TVs were on and it was really bad. I don't have the two TVs in the setup anymore but if I recall correctly it stopped doing it quite some time later. It was some sort of ground loop/feedback issue but there was nothing unusual about the setup that should have caused it. Possible causes IMO were:
1) There was a cable company ground wire using my house ground connection that could have been feeding in noise from a bad amp and they since replaced it.
2) One of the TVs had a damaged tuner (cable yank) and might have been supplying an undesirable voltage along the coax (I remember feeling a mild shock when handling the coax center conductor once).
3) The other TV was a cheap 19" RF-only TV and might have had inferior isolation/filtering. It was the major producer of the noise.

chuck>>>>not splitting the signal....i use a dedicated digital yagee antenna on one pole fro TV and a dedicated FM antenna on another pole....i stopped using the all in one TV/FM antennas or a TV antenna and an FM antenna on the same pole along time ago....video got stepped on bad....as for the TV its a 2yr old 32 720p 60hz....the only problem i am having is DTV audio humm with the box....i considered the converter in the coach....no humm watching DVDs or playing audio music CDs through the 2channel stereo receiver.
my coax is in good condition....i use alot of gold plated connections.....no damaged ends or stray wires touching the center copper input.....i was just curiuos to find the problem to the hummm.....
post #294 of 313 Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

chuck>>>>not splitting the signal....i use a dedicated digital yagee antenna on one pole fro TV and a dedicated FM antenna on another pole....i stopped using the all in one TV/FM antennas or a TV antenna and an FM antenna on the same pole along time ago....video got stepped on bad....as for the TV its a 2yr old 32 720p 60hz....the only problem i am having is DTV audio humm with the box....i considered the converter in the coach....no humm watching DVDs or playing audio music CDs through the 2channel stereo receiver.
my coax is in good condition....i use alot of gold plated connections.....no damaged ends or stray wires touching the center copper input.....i was just curiuos to find the problem to the hummm.....

Forget about the splitting, my point was about ground loops and.or feedback from other sources. But it sounds like the converter box and/or the transmission (too strong a signal?) like you suspect since the TV has no issue with the DVD player. As a test, can you connect the DVD player to the TV using the same TV input that the converter box uses?

That TV is fairly recent. Does it have a DTV tuner built-in?

post #295 of 313 Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:

Forget about the splitting, my point was about ground loops and.or feedback from other sources. But it sounds like the converter box and/or the transmission (too strong a signal?) like you suspect since the TV has no issue with the DVD player. As a test, can you connect the DVD player to the TV using the same TV input that the converter box uses?

>>>>>>As a test, can you connect the DVD player to the TV using the same TV input that the converter box uses?
That TV is fairly recent. Does it have a DTV tuner built-in?[/quote]

they are on the same input to the TV.....i may have mentioned in my earlier posts i ran all RG6 from the pole to the amp to the coax input in the back of the converter box then used RCA cords for audio/video out from the converter box to the VCR then audio/video out from the VCR to a nonAC(no power cord) 4 component switch selector to AV1 on the back of the TV for DTV, DVD, VCR fro video only ....2channel stereo audio is channeled to the 2channel receiver.....no audio hook up on the TV at ths time......if anybody has more ideas let me know...illl keep looking around.....btw, there are alot of signals here and a major flight path high above.
post #296 of 313 Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

>>>>>>As a test, can you connect the DVD player to the TV using the same TV input that the converter box uses?
they are on the same input to the TV.....i may have mentioned in my earlier posts i ran all RG6 from the pole to the amp to the coax input in the back of the converter box then used RCA cords for audio/video out from the converter box to the VCR then audio/video out from the VCR to a nonAC(no power cord) 4 component switch selector to AV1 on the back of the TV for DTV, DVD, VCR fro video only ....2channel stereo audio is channeled to the 2channel receiver.....no audio hook up on the TV at ths time......if anybody has more ideas let me know...illl keep looking around.....btw, there are alot of signals here and a major flight path high above.[/quote]

OK, that was many moons ago. I had to catch my breath reading your hook-up. lol

What about the second question: "That TV is fairly recent. Does it have a DTV tuner built-in?"

post #297 of 313 Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:

they are on the same input to the TV.....i may have mentioned in my earlier posts i ran all RG6 from the pole to the amp to the coax input in the back of the converter box then used RCA cords for audio/video out from the converter box to the VCR then audio/video out from the VCR to a nonAC(no power cord) 4 component switch selector to AV1 on the back of the TV for DTV, DVD, VCR fro video only ....2channel stereo audio is channeled to the 2channel receiver.....no audio hook up on the TV at ths time......if anybody has more ideas let me know...illl keep looking around.....btw, there are alot of signals here and a major flight path high above.

floyd>>>>>OK, that was many moons ago. I had to catch my breath reading your hook-up. lol
chuck>>>>>yes i know its a little hard to follow....it was better to use the selector to hook up all the components through one line to AV1 on the TV then use the selector L/R audio output to Tape1 on the stereo amp for the components.....
come to think of it i do have an older AV receiver....it works but i put it away.......it keeps burning out the LCD panel display lights....i need to open it up and unsolder the old burned out LCDs and solder new LCD lights to the board behind the panel...

floyd>>>>>What about the second question: "That TV is fairly recent. Does it have a DTV tuner built-in?"[/quote]
chuck>>>>>i dont follow....for a modern WS im sure it does have a digital tuner....what does the TV digital tuner in the TV have to do with audio problems?....if you mean run the audio out from the TV to the stereo amp i dunno how good the audio will be....i never did it that way.....i always used the L/R audio out from the VCR to a stereo amp for stereo audio in anologue.......what about the all the multi-signals and a flight path above?
post #298 of 313 Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what does the TV digital tuner in the TV have to do with audio problems?

You had a video problem too - bars rolling up the screen. Hook the antenna straight to the TV and see if problems disappear, may be the converter box. If not then yes could be multi-signals and flight path above (speaking of which, are you in close proximity to airport radar and radio transmissions?).

Other than that complex hook-ups like your selector switch can cause feedback loops. Watch out for anything like a VCR being fed by a TV output and also being input to the TV. Could also try unplugging everything input to the selector switch except the VCR/converter box combo (speaking of which, what happens if you plug the converter box RCAs straight into the TV?).

post #299 of 313 Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Picked up another one about a month ago at a local pawnshop. It came with a small Radio Shack amplified antenna ($60 value), to my surprise. Got the whole thing for $8.50 and it works perfectly. Got it set up for my bedroom tv and pointed the small antenna in my living room window to the NNW towards Rockford (about 30 miles away). Got 3 channels, but that's all I really need for my bedroom. What a bargain.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #300 of 313 Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

Picked up another one about a month ago at a local pawnshop. It came with a small Radio Shack amplified antenna ($60 value), to my surprise. Got the whole thing for $8.50 and it works perfectly. Got it set up for my bedroom tv and pointed the small antenna in my living room window to the NNW towards Rockford (about 30 miles away). Got 3 channels, but that's all I really need for my bedroom. What a bargain.
we

well thats real nice.....alot of the big city transmitters are very powerful......in LA Mount Wilson is 3million watts....it serves all of southern CA......rabbit ears worked....i installed a roof antenna in the attic with RG5 no amp....i could split the signal to 2 TVs no problem.....
my situation is a little different now......the transmitter is 100watts in a smalll rural area and a mountain in the way....i had to use an amp with RG6....im losing 50 -75% signal.....without an amp in anolgue the video was very grainy....you are very fortunate to have a good clear channel signal.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page