Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 313 Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.w View Post

The remote for my DT9950 has gone nuts. It acts like the numeral 7 button is perpetually held down. Channel 7 7 7 7 ... tries to come up when I point the remote at the box. When I look at the remote's transmit light (using a digital camera -a trick I picked up from a service tech) it is continuouslyflashing.

Anyone seen this and know what to do? Is there a hard reset for the remote? DigitalStream had little to offer except for me to send in for a replacement, but I can't find the receipt, and it's out of warranty anyway.

I saw a RCA universal remote at wal-mart for $8 that works on conveter boxes and digitalstream was listed. That might be your best option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 313 Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicus View Post

What is the difference between the DT9950 and the DT9950F?

I think F doesn't have analog pass thru and the other does
post #243 of 313 Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicus View Post

What is the difference between the DT9950 and the DT9950F?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

I think F doesn't have analog pass thru and the other does

The model without passthrough was the DTX9900.  I don't recall anyone's mentioning a 9950F before Addicus asked about it.
post #244 of 313 Old 07-11-2009, 01:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I saw a RCA universal remote at wal-mart for $8 that works on conveter boxes and digitalstream was listed. That might be your best option.

If you're sure Digital Stream was actually listed specifically under "Converter boxes" then it'll possibly work.

But the older, HD DS tuners used an entirely different code which doesn't work on these boxes - a Pioneer cable box code.
post #245 of 313 Old 07-11-2009, 08:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

It's probably the RCA model RCR312W, I think it has a sticker on the package that says it works CECBs. You'd think they would emphasize this on their website (rcaaccessories.com) but there's no mention of CECBs or TV Converters in the RCR312W description.

However I've got an old RCA RCU450 that works with a few boxes. With the RCA DTA800B1 and STB7766G1 it gives access to the Menu system. For anyone thinking about getting an RCA remote, I would suggest you get one with an /AUX key, that way you can use the remote with two CECBs. Don't know if it works the Channel Master, but its been reported that the Channel Master remote affects the DTX9950.
post #246 of 313 Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 AM

I have a GE Universal remote that was $6-7. It works fine controlling the TV, the VCR, and the Digital Stream. The code for my 25" Zenith TV is 000, code for Zenith DVD/CD/VCR player is 405, and the code for the Digital Stream is 638. The remote has a " search " mode to allow you to find out what the correct code is. Also, some of the keystrokes on the remote are a little funky, but for general watching of the TV, it works great, and there's only one remote to keep around the living room. To get to the EPG for example, you have to hit "SHIFT" then MENU.
post #247 of 313 Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenhodn View Post

I have a GE Universal remote that was $6-7...The remote has a " search " mode to allow you to find out what the correct code is...

Is it the type of search where you have to repeatedly press a button until the component responds ?
post #248 of 313 Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 AM

YES - With the last one that was purchased at Big Lots, yes, you turn on the Component you wish to control, and then press a couple of menu setup keys on the remote, and press one button on the remote, until it changes the channel of the component you need to control, and then you press one more key to save it.
With a few universal remotes that were previously purchased, you continually press the off button until the component shuts off.
---- A universal remote normally only lasts me about 2 years. The volume controls wear out, because the stations broadcast the commercials much louder that the show's content, and I'm continually lowering and raising the volume.
post #249 of 313 Old 07-17-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
That's what the "mute" button is for.
post #250 of 313 Old 07-18-2009, 05:31 PM

Hi,

does anyone know how to get the analog pass thru to work?
MY HDTV doesn't have a tuner.
so i hooked up the TV box to my TV
and the DVD player to the TV box via analog.
when i press the A/D button, I see the DVD video for 5 seconds, and the unit turns off.

is anyone also having this issue?

thanks
post #251 of 313 Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

When you activate the "Analog Pass-Through," the composite jacks usually stop working and the RF output is no longer being remodulated. Basically, you're turning the CECB "OFF" and the RF signal is being sent to the TV unaltered.
post #252 of 313 Old 07-18-2009, 07:09 PM

thanks,
so how do i use the composite jacks?
thats why they're there right?

thanks
post #253 of 313 Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

For DTV viewing at it's best potential and for stereo audio. I don't believe the DTX9950 gives you the ability to watch DTV and analog stations at the same time, like the Zinwell's (VHF-Hi & UHF).
post #254 of 313 Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Then why was I able to watch my DVD for 5 seconds before the unit turns off.
are the analog jacks In or Out?

Thanks
post #255 of 313 Old 07-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
The RCA audio/video jacks are output only. The only way to feed a signal into the DTX is via the RF (antenna) input jack.

Ideally, you would use different inputs on your TV for the DVD player and the DTX. If the TV has only one set of AV jacks, use them for the DVD player and feed to DTX output via a coaxial cable to the TV's RF (antenna) input using channel 3 or 4.
post #256 of 313 Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM

does anyone know the max number of channels a dtx9950 will hold ?
Im in to digi-dx and seem to have lost all channels after had about 140 or so entered
post #257 of 313 Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM

I hooked up a DVD player to the RCA jacks on my dtx 9950. When I hit the a/d button the DVD will play for a few seconds and the dtx9950 will go off and then all I get is snow. What am I doing wrong?
post #258 of 313 Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 PM

My old TV doesn't have any RCA jacks or any other kind of input. What now?
post #259 of 313 Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpendley44 View Post

Try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-907-Stereo...=pd_cp_e_2_img
post #260 of 313 Old 09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I hooked up a DVD player to the RCA jacks on my dtx 9950. When I hit the a/d button the DVD will play for a few seconds and the dtx9950 will go off and then all I get is snow. What am I doing wrong?

Try this setup:

Antenna feed ==> DTX RF input. Set the DTX for output on Channel 3.

DTX RF output ==> VCR RF input. To record from the DTX have the VCR tuned to channel 3. Set VCR for output on channel 3.

VCR RF output ==> TV RF input. At the TV you will always have channel 3 tuned. When the VCR is turned off it should pass the output of your DTX through to the TV. When you turn the VCR on you can watch a tape.
post #261 of 313 Old 09-12-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I assume you mean it doesn't have any converter box-capable inputs. I have an old knob tuner TV in the kitchen with only the screws on the back to hook to a 300 ohm flat antenna lead. Had to use one of those 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformers that have leads on the 300 ohm side and a coax connector on the 75 ohm side to complete the hook-up to the converter box RF coax output. Hook the transformer leads to your TV's VHF screws, not the UHF screws. Tune the TV to channel 3 or channel 4 depending on your converter box setting. You may have to turn off AFT if the TV has it and fine tune with the VHF tuner knob (also try turning AFT back on afterward to see if it holds, if it holds leave AFT on).

Works best if you can get the converter box away from the TV, especially away from the tuner section of the TV (I am of the belief that the old knob tuners pick up digital noise from converter boxes). Same for the antenna but probably not as critical (I had an old TV that would pick up its own radiation from rabbit ears on top). You might have to play around with positioning all three items. I couldn't spread everything out (kitchen) but I decreased the noise lines (diagonal) by placing foil under the converter box (sitting on top of the TV but opposite side of the TV tuner) and getting the foil to make contact with the RF connectors of the converter box.

post #262 of 313 Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 PM

Liked: 11
Why is my 9950 confused?

On WRC, it shows me "no data" on 4.1, and the correct guide for 4.1 when I look at 4.3. If I look at the actual RF channel (48), I see the carriers, but no guides.

No other station acts like that.
post #263 of 313 Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Are there any DTX9950 owners here who could verify if the unit will decode the audio only subchannel 99 on all Iowa Public Television ATSC stations?
post #264 of 313 Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just picked one up used at a garage sale for $25 to replace my 2 year old Access1080U, which was on its last legs. The Access remote works with the DS, albeit as AUX and not STB, but I couldn't use it for my vcr anymore. Luckily, I kept an old One-For-All universal remote that remedied that problem, kinda. The remote is 10 years old at least and doesn't have the up/down/left/right buttons with the OK button in the middle. So some features with the DS box dont work, like scrolling down the TVGOS or using Setup. Tried seeing if my old Comcast remote would fix that, but I'm pretty sure the Cable button only works for Comcast cable boxes. Either way, at least I have a remote that's 90% capable of functionality.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #265 of 313 Old 08-08-2012, 04:32 PM

hello everybody.....my DS converter box seems to work fairly well....press menu for the on screen display......at first there were audio and visual problems.....the BIT rate was too high from the transmitter.....lowering the BIT rate solved alot of video problems....now i am left with a low hummmm in all or most channels....not all....some channel hummmmm is louder than others......i tried different cables, cords and grounding the amp....i dont have a digital A / V receiver....using a 2channel stereo receiver out to 2 stereo speakers cabs.....maybe it's the box and maybe not.....i could be wrong but the converter box is supposed to change digital back to analogue so my analogue stuff will work......anybody else have a hummm in the audio??

floydage>>>>>>My old TV doesn't have any RCA jacks or any other kind of input. What now?>>>>>
well floyd i guess will need to use the coax output from the box to the coax input to the TV.....on the back of the box there is a switch for channel 3 or 4....there are 2 options.....line out or 3 or4.....make sure you go into the video options and change it 3 or 4.....chack all your menu options to make sure it is correct......im running ok.....just have audio hummmmm out the stereo speakers.........
post #266 of 313 Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklp61 View Post

floydage>>>>>>My old TV doesn't have any RCA jacks or any other kind of input. What now?>>>>>
well floyd i guess will need to use the coax output from the box to the coax input to the TV.....on the back of the box there is a switch for channel 3 or 4....there are 2 options.....line out or 3 or4.....make sure you go into the video options and change it 3 or 4....

You do realize you're responding to a 3 year old post. Also there is a QUOTE feature here if you want to quote someone.
post #267 of 313 Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Present and accounted for but me no savvy much of that post. Change the bit rate of a converter box? Or got them to lower the bit rate of the transmitter?

OK, hum: See if it hums out of the TV speaker without also being connected to the stereo receiver. Try both coax and composite connections (also, some converter boxes have different menu settings vs. audio hookup).

Ironically someone near me just posted an ad on CL for a used DS box for $10. Does this box have any special features worth sparking my interest in buying this item? (I see a mention of TVGOS a few posts above).

In chuck's defense some posters have had lots of problems with this new AVS format including an inoperability of the quoting function. I don't know if it would help everyone but I would suggest deleting all your AVS cookies and starting fresh.

post #268 of 313 Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Floyd>>>>>Present and accounted for but me no savvy much of that post. Change the bit rate of a converter box? Or got them to lower the bit rate of the transmitter?
chuck>>>>>the techs lowered the BIT rate at the transmitter on the mountain.....nothing can be done with the box......

Floyd>>>>>OK, hum: See if it hums out of the TV speaker without also being connected to the stereo receiver. Try both coax and composite connections (also, some converter boxes have different menu settings vs. audio hookup).
chuck>>>>>yeah, i will need to try some different things......i was asking if anyone else has had problems like this......this could take a long time....maybe all afternoon.....the anologue siganals are gone.....i need to get a fix on this......i went through the menu.......it works but srill having some problems.....
1....some channels on the video are very good, some ok or not as good.
2....bars of light rolling up the screen then repeat.
3.....audio hummm....some channels hummm is louder than others, some very minimul or not noticable.....as for menu and hookups it is easy to use.....on the back there is antennae in/out for the coax, RCA video out, RCA L/R out for the audio, 3/4 switch for the channel prefered and choice of 3/4 or line out for the RCA video out in the menu.....it does CC, and some other things etc....

Floyd>>>>>Ironically someone near me just posted an ad on CL for a used DS box for $10. Does this box have any special features worth sparking my interest in buying this item? (I see a mention of TVGOS a few posts above).
chuck>>>>i dunno. other than the humm in the audio it functions.... the remote is better than expected.....most universals should work....im using a dollar store remote...it works......

Floyd>>>>In chuck's defense some posters have had lots of problems with this new AVS format including an inoperability of the quoting function. I don't know if it would help everyone but I would suggest deleting all your AVS cookies and starting fresh.
chuck>>>>ok, there is one other thing that could be a problem.....there is a mountain in the way higher than the transmitter.....from what i understand digital signals are directional.....worse than UHF.....using a mast mounted 30 decibal amp adjustable gain with RG6 from the digital ready antennae to the amp behind the TV then RG6 to the antennae in on the back of the DS box, then RCA audio and video out to a VCR or a DVD recorder then audio out to the analogue stereo receiver so i can record something if i want.....i dont have an AV receiver or any digital struff...im all analogue.....in old anaologue the transmitter was 80 watts.....the new digital transmitter is100watts......the humm is too loud....i told them way back there was a problem.....mountain has been telling me there is nothing wrong.....they finally lowered the BIT rate....im being told if they lower the BIT rate anymore there maybe no picture......i dunno....stilll having audio and video problems.....im trying to find if it is my stuff, location or maybe the transmitter still has problems.....i hope in was clear and helps so we can solve these problems.....

Floyd>>>>> I don't know if it would help everyone but I would suggest deleting all your AVS cookies and starting fresh.
chuck>>>>how??
post #269 of 313 Old 08-09-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklp61 View Post

Floyd>>>>> I don't know if it would help everyone but I would suggest deleting all your AVS cookies and starting fresh.
chuck>>>>how??

you don't know how to delete cookies? Also if you notice on the lower right corner of a post there is a QUOTE button. You'll get more help from people when they can read and understand what you are posting. Right now your posts are a mess.
post #270 of 313 Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 AM

BCF>>>>>you don't know how to delete cookies? Also if you notice on the lower right corner of a post there is a QUOTE button. You'll get more help from people when they can read and understand what you are posting. Right now your posts are a mess......
chuck>>>>>>not sure what you mean....yes i know how to delete cookies on a PC.....as far as i know cookies are on a PC.....is there a delete cookies on a digital converter box and how?.....not using a PC for TV......im using the DS box to anologue VCR and or an anologue DVD recorder to a 32' 60hz 720p and an anolgue 2 channel stereo receiver to 2 speakers for audio

BCF>>>>You'll get more help from people when they can read and understand what you are posting. Right now your posts are a mess.
chuck>>>>come on, its not that bad.......well, lets see if i can compact it down a little......
1....the techs lowered the BIT rate.....still have audio and video problems.
video......some channels good, some not so good with white or black bars rolling up the screen and repeating.
audio....low frequency hummm on all or most channels.....some channel hummm is louder than others.....some not so bad or very minimul.
2....im a rural area miles from the transmitter and a mountain in the way.....using all RG6 with an anologue and digital ready Yagee antennae, 75ohm transformer, mast mounted premap to the 30 decible adjustable gain amp behind the TV, RG6 out to antennae in on the box, then audio/video RCA jacks to the audio/video in line on a VCR or DVD recorder then RCA audio/video out to a 32' 60hz 720p TV and anlogue 2channel receiver..... the signal meter is in the green at 88-92 on max gain....i turned the adjustable gain to minimum then back to maximum......no change.......hope this helps
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page