PROVANTAGE decertified? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My friend just received a letter from PROVANTAGE stating they have been decertified from selling the Digital TV Conveter Boxes. And that they will NOT be selling them. Has anyone else received anything from them that states the above?

Jennifer

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 PM

I ordered a Digital Stream DSP7500T from them on Thursday May 29 and it came in on Tuesday June 3. No problems at all.
I did find it weird that the Digital Stream box on their site kept going from On Hold to available while I was waiting on the phone to order. Also weird was that the Digital Stream was the only box they had.
post #3 of 50 Old 06-05-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_27 View Post

My friend just received a letter from PROVANTAGE stating they have been decertified from selling the Digital TV Conveter Boxes. And that they will NOT be selling them. Has anyone else received anything from them that states the above?

Jennifer

I have not received any feedback from them, also I could not find anything regarding CECB or ECHOSTAR on there web site search engine. Looks like they took that info away.

I had an order with them for the TR-40 since May 1st; sound like that's not going to happen.

I have sent an email to my Salesperson requesting my order status, I'll report back if an when they reply.

Email UPDATE:

"The product is still on back-order.

Thank You,"

Looks like a pretty generic response. I guess I'll be calling next, stay tuned.
post #4 of 50 Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM

Jake-
I too have had an order in w/ them since the first part of May. I've been on hold for at least 20 minutes trying to figure out what is going on w/ the orders.
post #5 of 50 Old 06-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Just a note here to let you know that we have received calls at our shop from people indicating that they have received such a letter. Provantage is off the list of telephone retailers as well at dtv2009.gov

Not sure what the full story is...
post #6 of 50 Old 06-05-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Provantage has been in business 20 years, I hope they will honor what's been ordered, and would expect them to, if the NTIA will let them. The NTIA has certainly been busy squashing preorders. It's really too bad, pre-ordering is for many of us the only way to get the analog pass through models before coupons expire. I wonder if the problem was the NTIA not letting them use that 60 day processing method.
post #7 of 50 Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

2nd hand info from a 1st time poster. Sounds like a troll.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 50 Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post

Just a note here to let you know that we have received calls at our shop from people indicating that they have received such a letter. Provantage is off the list of telephone retailers as well at dtv2009.gov

Not sure what the full story is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

But don't you trust 2nd hand info from mosquito? If he's hearing about it at his business, there must be something to it. Hope all of you with expiring coupons don't get screwed!

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #9 of 50 Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

If you don't trust 2nd hand info even from a reputable source like mosquito you should check the list of approved retailers yourself and see Provantage is missing.

To be honest I have made it no secret that I had a gut feeling that this would happen to Provantage because of the DTVPal pre-orders.

I honestly didn't think anything would happen to MicroProse however as they were advertising now with analog passthru for quite some time before accepting orders.

I was thinking that NTIA is lazy updating the NTIA approved list look at the Zenith DTT901* for example one day it was listed as without passthru and now it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #10 of 50 Old 06-06-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

After the convertmy.tv thing, the NTIA hired lawyers. They seem to be focusing on pre-orders of analog pass through boxes. The NTIA ought to be staffing up so they can process CECB approved boxes!! It took almost 3 months after FCC approval for CECB to list the Zenith, and the Insignia -APT, which was FCC approved when the Zenith was, is still not on the CECB list. Microprose is suffering similarly slow processing.

During pre-order sales, Provantage seemed to be paying close attention to orders vs. the number of boxes the supplier committed to sending. They even stopped taking orders for a short while to check with their supplier. That's what makes me think it may have been something about the 60 day processing method, rather than their ability to deliver product as estimated. As Mosquito said, we don't know the whole story. It does appear, though that Convertmy.tv was given a considerable amount of time (maybe 60 days?) to fulfill the orders before they had to refund money to the customer.

Unlike MaxMedia, I have every expectation that Echostar will deliver, and soon, and since Provantage took some caution with orders vs. supplier commitment, I'm at least hopeful that those who ordered will get their boxes. I would have ordered there myself, except I was trying to figure out which boxes would be out before my coupons expired.
post #11 of 50 Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I DO have access to the letter and would scan and post if it is allowed.

Jennifer
post #12 of 50 Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

You can post the letter if you want.

However, you will need more posts before the forum will allow a attachment.

If it is going to be housed elsewhere like TinyPic for images they you would just use the insert image and enter the url.

|
|

post #13 of 50 Old 06-10-2008, 04:36 AM

I just received this from Provantage:

"We are writing to inform you of the cancellation of the TV converter box you had ordered: EchoStar TR-40 Digital to Analog TV Converter (Provantage#: NTIA004).

Unfortunately, this product will not be available for sale as the manufacturer will not be releasing it as planned. A new product from EchoStar has been released known as the DTVPal. PROVANTAGE is no longer participating in the TV Converter Box program moving forward; therefore you will need to purchase the new product from another authorized dealer. We have refunded your coupon dollar amount to the NTIA directly, and they will be contacting you regarding your coupon information. PROVANTAGE has no control over the redistribution of coupons and any questions should be directed to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration: 1-888-388-2009

We apologize for the inconvenience and if we could have prevented this issue, we surely would have done so. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank You,
PROVANTAGE Computer Products
"
post #14 of 50 Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What happens to those coupons that are now EXPIRED?
post #15 of 50 Old 06-10-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation View Post

What happens to those coupons that are now EXPIRED?

Expired coupons go back in the fund, to be issued again.
As far as I know the original person to whom they were issued
are out of luck.

There has been talk of people being able to reapply, but
nothing new coming from NTIA on that. So far only talk.
It may or may not happen.

Call or contact your congressman or United States Senate
Commerce Committe.

John
post #16 of 50 Old 06-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Those who ordered through Provantage have lost their $40 coupons. Provantage, in validating the coupon (and to "return the funds", which is a lot of nonsense actually - they are reimbursed after the fact) automatically invalidates it, whether it has since expired or not.

Provantage has shamefully attempted to pass the buck for this debacle onto the government. It was their own inability to eat the price increase for customer goodwill and their willingness to accept the coupons in technical violation of the program rules which has made them entirely responsible for this debacle.

In the end, they threw their customers under the bus by not delivering, and then ran over them again by invalidating those customers' $40 coupons with absolutely no recourse to replace them.

Wow, Provantage is certainly a company I'd never consider doing business with again after they demonstrated just how much affection they have for their customers.

Shameful.
post #17 of 50 Old 06-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_27 View Post

I DO have access to the letter and would scan and post if it is allowed.

No need, I believe you now! Still waiting to see if I get a dreaded e-mail or a DTV-Pal from Provandage.

post #18 of 50 Old 06-12-2008, 02:16 PM

yeah they still haven't cancelled my order through e-mail...I wish they would hurry up on that.
post #19 of 50 Old 06-12-2008, 06:16 PM

Haven't cancelled mine either.

I didn't have my heart set on it anyway.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"
-Abraham Lincoln
post #20 of 50 Old 06-12-2008, 07:37 PM

I think I may have figured it out looking at some Google cache information and the letter information that people have provided.

I have not received a letter, and hope I don't. I think those of us who ordered it as the DtvPal instead of the TR-40 might actually get it.

The letter indicates that the manufactuer changed the product from the name of TR-40 to DtvPal. Maybe because of the name change the NTIA won't let them sell the DtvPal to people who ordered the TR-40.

The letters refer to the TR-40 NTIA004 the DtvPal was listed as NTIA005 see the Google cache pages below:

The first is for the DtvPal NTIA005
(I am not allowed to Post URLs yet, so go to Google and Search with words DtvPal Provantage. You will see a link to the Provantage website which is no longer valid. Click on the CACHED page.)

The second is for the TR-40 NTIA004
(For this one Google NTIA004. Again you will see a Provatange link that is not valid. Click on the CACHED page.)

Since I have not gotten an e-mail and I ordered under the NTIA005, I hope they will still ship it when available.
post #21 of 50 Old 06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Solidsignal and Freedtvshop are using both names in their description. It might be that Provantage had an order secured for a certain number of boxes, and overran their allotment. Since early buyers ordered under the TR40 name, those may be securable against the shipment agreement, but not the later orders. There's a chance you squeaked by ordering before they started worrying about whether they could get enough more to cover the orders. It would be nice if at least some orders got fulfilled. Just put the url in < > and it will work.
post #22 of 50 Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

I'm thinking of starting a post that asks:
* When date did you order your DTV-Pal or TR-40?
* What did it say on your order confimation? (Model and item number)
* Have you or have you not received an order cancellation e-mail?

If we start seeing a pattern, maybe DP324124 is right. I sure hope so anyway, since I like what I've read about the DTV-Pal so far.

post #23 of 50 Old 06-13-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:

If we start seeing a pattern, maybe DP324124 is right. I sure hope so anyway, since I like what I've read about the DTV-Pal so far.

I ordered the DTV-Pal by phone May 14--they did not ask for an email address, and though I later set up an account online, it was not merged with my phone order info. So I'm assuming that other people who ordered by phone might also not have an email registered with Provantage (and thus won't get an email). My order status today shows that my order is still pending:

Products Manuf Part# Qty Each Total
DTVPal Digital-to-Analog TV Converter
- 1 item awaiting confirmation by regional warehouse.
- Standard 30 Days Return 159365 1 42.50 42.50

Your order has been placed with one of our suppliers who will ship it directly to you. Note: Your order has been forwarded to a regional warehouse for processing. We will issue an invoice once we have confirmation.

Subtotal: 42.50
Adjustment: -40.00
Shipping: 6.95
Total: $9.45
post #24 of 50 Old 06-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiegirl View Post

I ordered the DTV-Pal by phone May 14--they did not ask for an email address, and though I later set up an account online, it was not merged with my phone order info. So I'm assuming that other people who ordered by phone might also not have an email registered with Provantage (and thus won't get an email).

FWIW, I gave my e-mail info when I placed my phone order. A few days later they sent me a note, pretty much the same one you have above.

post #25 of 50 Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 AM

The charge for shipping and the excess over the coupon have been on my credit card site as a reserved but not yet completed transaction since I ordered on April 30th. That disappeared from the site today. I don't expect any fulfilment of the order.

Dan
post #26 of 50 Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 AM

I'm in the same boat. I phone-ordered the DTVPal on May 16 and was issued an order number which still shows up on their website as active. I opened an account which does not acknowledge that I placed any order at all, which I found unusual; however, I've not received any emails from them either way. Those who ordered their DTVPal/TR-40's from Provantage probably did so before they became decertified. I don't think folks should just roll over for this. After all, not only did Provantage not fulfill their orders, but cashed in your coupons so you couldn't use them either. I believe Provantage should be compelled to fulfill what orders they have received or turn them over to someone who can, including the coupon. To do otherwise would be considered fraud or bait-and-switch or something.
post #27 of 50 Old 06-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The problem here is with the NTIA decertifying a vendor. When that happens the vendor has to return the value of the cashed coupons to the NTIA and is prohibited from further participation in the program.

The only thing a vendor could do is purchase converters and fulfill the orders taken suffering the loss between their cost and the amount they charged the customer since they had to return the coupon dollars.

The NTIA has totally FUBARed this situation and left consumers screwed in the process. Instead of decertifying a vendor they should require the vendor to comply with the rules of the program (going forward) but fulfill orders taken in violation of the rules.

I lost a coupon in the Memsen/Maxmedia/convertmy.tv fiasco, would have lost one with Micropose but they thankfully did not redeem it before the NTIA capriciously stalled on approval of the MPI-500APT and considered a Provantage preorder but purchased a Zenith DTT900 instead.

The NTIA is not taking care of the consumers that have been doing business with vendors that they had approved. It is solely the NTIA's actions that have left us holding the bag. They have no program in place to make us whole and do not give a crap. Typical bureaucratic BS.
post #28 of 50 Old 06-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscesinphoenix View Post

I believe Provantage should be compelled to fulfill what orders they have received or turn them over to someone who can, including the coupon.

In Provantage's e-mail which confirmed my order - "Your order has been placed with one of our suppliers who will ship it directly to you."

Maybe they did turn the order over to someone else - just wish In knew who now, and if/when to expect my order.

post #29 of 50 Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I ordered from Provantage after the TR-40's name change on the website.

May 14th and I ordered it as the DTV Pal.
They took my email address and have since been sending commercial emails.

No dreaded email yet.

Beeper
post #30 of 50 Old 06-13-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Yeah I think you should make a new thread about this just for people who ordered from provantage...maybe then we'll find an answer soon...

I ordered on May 15th the DTV-Pal. I haven't received a cancellation e-mail yet. I called today to ask them if the DTV Pal orders have been cancelled. They said no, they just have stopped taking orders for them now. They expect I should get a confirmation number next week or so. I guess we'll have to wait and see if these get shipped out! **crosses fingers**
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page