Provantage DTV-Pal Orders - Did yours get cancelled? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If you pre-ordered a DTV-Pal or TR-40 from Provantage, has your order been cancelled?
Yes, I recieved a cancellation e-mail 0 0%
No, I did not recieve a cancellation e-mail 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 242 Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskerdoo View Post

Quote:

giving ALL of us a DTVpal for $40 is a loss. Provantage doesn't want to lose money [so they canceled orders instead].

Interesting that Ultimate Electronics is pre-selling them for $40. What do you make of that?

They are losing money on the DTVpal in hopes you'll buy something else more profitable (like monster cables perhaps, or a new antenna).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 242 Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 AM

Just checked me order and it was cancelled. Got an email saying "To: Some other person's name"

however I'm not person...hopefully the government reissues to the coupons to the right customers!
post #183 of 242 Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just got my email - with the correct name.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #184 of 242 Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 AM

Got the cancellation letter on Monday 7/28. Just checked my email. I hope they do refund our coupons in a timely manner. We've waited long enough...What a hassle this has been. I do blame Provantage for this one regardless what other people say. They took the orders, they should have followed correct procedures. They had us hanging for 2 months when others have already bought their Pals. I'm still on their email list, but will cancel that & not ever deal with them again. They lost my business & my word of mouth.

The only good thing that might come out of this is when & if we do get our coupons back, we can either choose a different box or get a newer DTVPal with the bugs worked out of it.

For the record my order was on 5/13 for a DTVPal, not the Echostar. I just checked the dtv2009.gov site & both of my coupons show that a converter box has already been purchased with them.
post #185 of 242 Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post

Mine says the same thing.

Got my email this morning. Like I said, I blame Echostar/Sling solely for this, they told Provantage when the boxes were going to be available, they took orders in good faith on that , and Dish/Echostar put the screws to them. SOP for them. I actually feel sorry for Provantage...

I bet they won't be selling Dish/Sling stuff in the future...

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"
-Abraham Lincoln
post #186 of 242 Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM

Response from TV Converter Box Coupon Program to an email I sent:
Quote:

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:17:26 -0400
Subject: Re: Fwd: EchoStar DTVPal Cancellation

Mr. ___:

We are working on logistics to replace your coupon. A letter from the Director of the Program is forthcoming that will contain details about this matter. Meawhile, if you have any questions or need assistance before the letter arrives please feel free to contact me. I can be reached via e-mail at dsimmons@ntia.doc.gov or via telephone at 202/482-2475.

Diane J. Simmons
TV Converter Box Coupon Program

post #187 of 242 Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post

Got my email this morning. Like I said, I blame Echostar/Sling solely for this, they told Provantage when the boxes were going to be available, they took orders in good faith on that , and Dish/Echostar put the screws to them.

Do you then blame Maxmedia, and hold convertmy.tv as blameless?

I am more inclined to blame convertmy.tv and provantage. They knew the rules said "no preorders" but they chose to ignore them.
post #188 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 AM

thanks zqxthree for posting their number! I was able to check to see if i was on their list of people who are getting reissued coupons. They said they are sending out letters today providing info about the coupons.

it's provantage's fault for taking preorders...but i'm kind of glad if i get new coupons.
post #189 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox View Post

thanks zqxthree for posting their number! I was able to check to see if i was on their list of people who are getting reissued coupons. They said they are sending out letters today providing info about the coupons.

it's provantage's fault for taking preorders...but i'm kind of glad if i get new coupons.

I assume you were on the list? Also, did they mention if the letter was via e-mail or snail mail?

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #190 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

I assume you were on the list? Also, did they mention if the letter was via e-mail or snail mail?

Yes they said i was. It's going through USPS, so it will be a few days. She told me not to expect the actual coupons to come until 6-8 weeks. That's plenty of time for me to look for a new converter box. Is anyone still getting a DTVPal after all this trouble? I'm thinking of just getting the Zenith DTT901
post #191 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually bought DTVPal from a guy on ebay, because I got tired of waiting. I have to say, it's a really nice box. I don't see how the Zenith or others could be much better. So I'll probably use my coupons to get two more DTVPals, if nothing better comes along by then.
post #192 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

I actually bought DTVPal from a guy on ebay, because I got tired of waiting. I have to say, it's a really nice box. I don't see how the Zenith or others could be much better. So I'll probably use my coupons to get two more DTVPals, if nothing better comes along by then.

oh I though there were tons of problems with the dtvpals? timed programs getting deleted...etc? But i think i read that it's only a problem with certain tv stations?

thanks, maybe i'll still consider a dtvpal. The main thing i'd like is the timer so i can record my tv shows. It still isn't easy to find dtvpals in stores though. I'll have to check to see if Sears has them yet.
post #193 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as I can tell, the timer issue is the only thing wrong with it. But everyone in that mess we call the DTVPal thread have somehow taken that and made it sound as though the DTVPal is riddled with bugs. But I really have no need for timers, so it works great for me.
post #194 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

maybe i'll still consider a dtvpal. The main thing i'd like is the timer so i can record my tv shows. It still isn't easy to find dtvpals in stores though. I'll have to check to see if Sears has them yet.

If you want the timer function why are you considering the Zenith DTT901?

You should be considering the Zinwell ZAT-970A*, DISH Network DTVPal* that are currently available and with timers.

That or with a new coupon and the extra time you have before it expires you should consider the cheaper DTVPal clones the TR-40CRA* & TR-40 that are suppose to be the $39.99 box and very similar to the DTVPal.

The hard part for the TR-40 may be finding a store that will carry them because of the low profit margin but that also seems to be the case with the DTVPal.

Maybe Dish Network is using the DTVPal with a higher profit margin to entice retailers to carry the future TR-40?

With Dish Network however a person can only wonder and hope they don't pull another fast one and change something before it comes to market.

|
|

post #195 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 PM

thanks malouff! maybe i'll consider the zinwell too. yeah I just want a converter box that is easy to find...hence the zenith. If the TR-40 actually comes to the market with a timer that's a potential too. Is it necessary to have a timer on a converter box to do timed recordings through my dvd recorder (w/o a built-in digital tuner)?

thanks sorry if my question is a little off topic. I thought the main reason people needed timers is because it's the only way to do timed recordings with their vcr/dvd recorders after the digital transition.
post #196 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes they said i was. It's going through USPS, so it will be a few days. She told me not to expect the actual coupons to come until 6-8 weeks. That's plenty of time for me to look for a new converter box. Is anyone still getting a DTVPal after all this trouble? I'm thinking of just getting the Zenith DTT901

Cool. Hopefully I am on the list too. I'll have to call tomorrow. My replacement coupon will go towards a DTVPal box.

post #197 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

That or with a new coupon and the extra time you have before it expires you should consider the cheaper DTVPal clones the TR-40CRA* & TR-40 that are suppose to be the $39.99 box and very similar to the DTVPal.

Malouff - Any word on what the differences will be between the three boxes you've mentioned above?

post #198 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes I will still be getting a DTVPal when I get the replacement coupon. In retrospect - I should have waited before getting the 2nd coupon , but this way, it will work out just as well .

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #199 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Is it necesary to have a timer on a converter box to do timed recordings through my dvd recorder (w/o a built-in digital tuner)?

Yes, if you want to record off of more than one channel at a time.

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #200 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is it necessary to have a timer on a converter box to do timed recordings through my dvd recorder (w/o a built-in digital tuner)?

Like partsman_ba said only if you need the converter to change channels for multiple recordings is when you will need timers.

If you will only record from one channel then any box will work as they will stay tuned to that one channel.

If however you will be recording more than one program on different channels you will need a box like the Zinwell or DTVPal (available) that has timers to switch programs and also set up your DVD recorder to start recording at the appropriate times (always with line in or channel 3/4 as the source).

Another option is if you have a computer and some programming experience you could use a box like the Tivax (this would be more complicated)

The last option for timed recordings is to buy a new recorder with a built in ATSC tuner.

|
|

post #201 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Malouff - Any word on what the differences will be between the three boxes you've mentioned above?

I understood that the TR-40 and DTVPal would be the same thing but just in a different box.

I am not sure how true this is yet as none of this is official from Dish Network.

Your new coupons however should give you enough time to find out if they are the same and if the TR-40 is $39.99 you can also save some money.

The MaxMedia replaced coupons have an expiration date of 10/10/08 and the Provantage ones should expire way after that as you have not received them yet so you should have time to see the TR-40 before your coupons expire.

|
|

post #202 of 242 Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 PM

I'll probably get two more DTVPals when I receive my coupons. I haven't rec'd any word from the NTIA, other than Provantage telling me that I would.

Even though the time is off in the EPG, I told the DTVPal to record a PBS program the other night (wrong time listed), and I set my VCR to record at the correct time. Believe it or not, the recording went on time! I just wonder what I'm seeing on my screen....

Overall, I think the DTVPal is serving my needs well. I am interested, though, in what the TR-40 box will be. j c
post #203 of 242 Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 AM

wow the maxmedia coupons last until october of 2009? so it doesn't have a 3 month expiration date like the normal coupons? I can probably wait until some of the bugs get fixed in the dtvpal or wait for the tr-40 then. thanks for the info on timers too malouff.
post #204 of 242 Old 08-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

wow the maxmedia coupons last until october of 2009?

Thanks for catching my date mistake of 09.
I was planning for a trip in 09 and must have got 09 stuck in my head and made the mistake.
I have updated my original post with 08.

|
|

post #205 of 242 Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 AM

This thread looks dead. Anyone get their replacement coupons yet or hear any more from NTIA about them?
post #206 of 242 Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

It's gonna be a while. Probably early next month. Trust me, if someone receives something, you'll know...
post #207 of 242 Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM

I never received a cancellation email from Provantage, but when I checked status of my order on their site last week, it showed canceled. Today, I received a letter from NTIA stating that I will receive a replacement coupon.

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
post #208 of 242 Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 PM

Some of us got our letters, its a waiting game now. With everything going on in DC right now, I don't expect to see them anytime soon. Like I have been saying, line up some more coupons from a neighbor or something...I did.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"
-Abraham Lincoln
post #209 of 242 Old 08-18-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscave View Post

I never received a cancellation email from Provantage, but when I checked status of my order on their site last week, it showed canceled. Today, I received a letter from NTIA stating that I will receive a replacement coupon.

tomscave, I'm the opposite situation as you. I received my Provantage cancellation e-mail, but I never received the NTIA letter. I e-mailed the NTIA last week to make sure that Provantage gave them my information and to make sure I'll get the letter.

I'm fairly confident that if you got the NTIA letter, you'll get your replacement card(s) eventually.
post #210 of 242 Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere View Post

tomscave, I'm the opposite situation as you. I received my Provantage cancellation e-mail, but I never received the NTIA letter. I e-mailed the NTIA last week to make sure that Provantage gave them my information and to make sure I'll get the letter.

I'm fairly confident that if you got the NTIA letter, you'll get your replacement card(s) eventually.

you can also try calling them to see if you're on the list...they were pretty quick.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page