Provantage DTV-Pal Orders - Did yours get cancelled? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If you pre-ordered a DTV-Pal or TR-40 from Provantage, has your order been cancelled?
Yes, I recieved a cancellation e-mail 0 0%
No, I did not recieve a cancellation e-mail 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 242 Old 06-13-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
* When date did you order your DTV-Pal or TR-40?
* What did it say on your order confimation? (Model and item number)
* Have you or have you not received an order cancellation e-mail?

7/28/08 Edit - It seems most people, and probably eventually everyone, has or will get the cancellation notice from Provantage in regards to their DTVPal orders. In the letter, Provantage says that upon confirmation by the NTIA, you will be contacted by the NTIA in regards to getting replacement coupons.

So, if you have heard from the NTIA, please respond.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 242 Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM

I ordered May 14, 2008.

My invoice says DTV Pal.

I have not received a cancellation and my checking account was debited for my part of the cost today.

I will wait and see.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"
-Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 242 Old 06-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post

I ordered May 14, 2008.

My invoice says DTV Pal.

I have not received a cancellation and my checking account was debited for my part of the cost today.

I will wait and see.

That prompted me to check my credit card. It now reports a pending charge for 9.45 run on 6/13/08.

My invoice says DTV Pal and the date was 5/14/08
post #4 of 242 Old 06-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

My two were ordered 5/14/08 and my charge card has also been charged. WooHoo? No, I will wait to WooHoo when the units actually show up in my grubby (yes grubby) little hands. I am actually a long term Provantage customer, and they have always been fair with me.
post #5 of 242 Old 06-13-2008, 09:24 PM

Whidbey, thanks for making this thread/poll! Also, I think you misspelled Provantage on the thread name...might want to correct it just in case people try to search for provantage threads

I ordered on May 15th. It says the DTV-Pal. I haven't received a cancellation e-mail yet.

Other note: I called today to ask them if the DTV Pal orders have been cancelled. They said no, they just have stopped taking orders for them now. They expect I should get a confirmation number next week or so. I guess we'll have to wait and see if these get shipped out! **crosses fingers**

I guess since people got their credit cards charged then they should be getting confirmation shipping numbers soon?
post #6 of 242 Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

My two were ordered 5/14/08 and my charge card has also been charged. WooHoo? No, I will wait to WooHoo when the units actually show up in my grubby (yes grubby) little hands. I am actually a long term Provantage customer, and they have always been fair with me.

I haven't checked my account yet, but I will also be with-holding my woohoos until I get my hands on the box.
Actually it will be a double woohoo since I may have saved a few dollars off the new $59 MSRP.

post #7 of 242 Old 06-14-2008, 08:28 AM

I pre-ordered a TR-40 on 4/30 (my coupon was good until 6/4). I never received an e-mail telling me the order had been changed to DTV-Pal as some did, but I eventually received the order cancellation e-mail. My order now shows as cancelled on the Provantage site but it didn't until yesterday. Although my credit card site showed a pending $9.45 charge ever since I ordered, that disappeared yesterday.

I'm incensed at the unfair treatment given as the result of my early order. Had I waited, perhaps my order would have been entered for the DTV-Pal, and I'd be getting one. As it stands, my coupon is no good, I don't get a box, and I must pay the full, increased price if I do purchase this box sans coupon.

Dan
post #8 of 242 Old 06-14-2008, 08:45 AM

Here is my cancellation and it should be noted that the purchase took place a month ago and the sale was closed. It is waiting delivery. The price cannot be changed after the fact. There was an offer at a price and acceptance at that price and payment in full made with receipt.

June 14, 2008

To Our Dear DTVPal Customers:

It is with deep regret that I am writing to inform you that Mosquito Productions and FreeDTVShop.com will no longer be offering the Echostar/Sling Media DTVPal converter box. This is a decision that is out of our control. Up until Monday, June 9th, we had solid committments from Sling Media (a wholly owned subsidiary of Echostar) and our distributor that we would receive stock of the DTVPal during the week of June 16th. We worked extremely hard to establish this distribution channel for the DTVPal over the first 6 months of the year.

On the evening of June 9th, Charlie Ergen, CEO of Echostar Corporation, announced on his Charlie Chat television program on the Dish Network that the DTVPal would be selling for an increased MSRP of $59.99 instead of the original $39.99 MSRP that had been consistently stated by Echostar since January, 2008. This announcement was a surprise to us, as well as our distributor and representatives at Sling Media, especially given that the product was due to be released in approximately one week.

It was a disappointment as well. Ever since January, there have been claims through press releases and other Charlie Chat programs that Echostar was looking to be a leader in the DTV Coupon Program by keeping their MSRP at $39.99. This was a real beakon of hope for a lot of customers that had been disappointed to see that other converter boxes were $10 to $40 more than the $40 coupon value. At FreeDTVShop.com, we had no choice but to set our price at $42.50, which was the lowest price point we could meet without losing money on the unit. We certainly don't expect any company to willingly lose money on a product, which may have been the case with Echostar at the $39.99 price. However, given all the attention that has been focused on the DTVPal up until this point, we would have expected an announcement of a change in price and availability to be made more than one week in advance of the product's release. We would also expect all established distribution channels to be honored. This simply is not the case.

Given the level of scrutiny that has been placed on retailers like us to help ensure consumer protections in the TV coupon program, we hope that the NTIA reviews these latest developments with the DTVPal. If you have any questions or comments that you would like to voice about these changes, you can contact the NTIA's Coupon Program 24-hour hotline at 1-888-DTV-2009 or email them by going to https://www.dtv2009.gov/EmailUs.aspx

We understand that this change is leaving some customers with rapidly approaching coupon expiration dates in a bad situation. For those of you that pre-ordered that DTVPal, we apologize, but have no choice but to cancel your order with us. You are free to use your coupons at any NTIA approved retailer. This cancellation process may take a few days to complete, but you can use your coupons immediately.

We do not have any further information about the availability of the DTVPal, so please allow other customers a chance to get through our phone lines to inquire about other products. We will continue to offer the widest selection of coupon eligible converters on the market today, and our selection will continue to increase over the coming weeks and months.

I apologize to all of our customers for this change, but again, it is a decision that is out of our control. One unfortunate outcome of this cancellation of orders is that the Freedom Calls Foundation (www.freedomcalls.org) will now be receiving thousands of dollars less from us. We have committed to donate 10% of our profits from converter box sales to this foundation that provides telephone and video conference facilities for our troops overseas free of charge. The Freedom Calls Foundation is completely supported by public donations and receives no funding from the military. We do see the irony in a satellite TV company forcing us to cancel orders resulting in a loss of thousands of dollars worth of donations to a foundation that is centered around satellite communications for our troops. If you have it in your heart, please take a few minutes to check out what they do and send a few dollars their way.

Sincerely,
John Buchmann, Owner
FreeDTVShop.com
Mosquito Productions
post #9 of 242 Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 AM

How was the sale closed if Provantage never actually charged your credit card? A pending transaction is, by definition, not yet a transaction.

Dan
post #10 of 242 Old 06-14-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kolton View Post

How was the sale closed if Provantage never actually charged your credit card? A pending transaction is, by definition, not yet a transaction.

also...why is the letter that he posted from FreeDTVShop.com if he ordered with Provantage?
post #11 of 242 Old 06-14-2008, 03:15 PM

He's obviously confusing the two...We only started preorders on May 23rd, not 1 month ago.
post #12 of 242 Old 06-14-2008, 04:33 PM

Well this certainly says one thing to folks who are contemplating a dish network buy.
Don't do it. They seem to lack good will. And when a business does this their good
will is gone. Shame on Echostar.

John
post #13 of 242 Old 06-14-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kolton View Post

Provantage redemed the coupon. They accepted the order.
post #14 of 242 Old 06-14-2008, 06:25 PM

The people taking the orders should be on the hook for the price increase with respect to the consumer.

For example, someone enters into a contract to build a home or to take delivery of a barrell of oil on a certain date. If the price of oil goes up in the meantime or if the price of the components of a house go up, the seller is on the hook for the increase. Its just business.

Provantage, etc., shouldn't have taken these orders and redemmed people's coupons without having a binding contract from the supplier. Consumers can't sue the supplier directly because were not in privity with the suplier. We can, however, ask the people who took our orders and accepted our coupons to fufill their end of the deal.
post #15 of 242 Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
* When date did you order your DTV-Pal or TR-40? May 14
* What did it say on your order confimation? (Model and item number) DTVPal Digital-to-Analog TV Converter
* Have you or have you not received an order cancellation e-mail? not received cancellation yet.

Credit card has not been charged yet

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #16 of 242 Old 06-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Ordered 13 May
Cancelled 10 June (see below)

EchoStar TR-40 Cancellation‏
Sent: Tue 6/10/08 12:15 PM
To: xxx (xxx@msn.com)

Tuesday, June 10, 2008
To: xxx
Re: Order Number 34892xx
Dear xxx,
We are writing to inform you of the cancellation of the TV converter box you had ordered: EchoStar TR-40 Digital to Analog TV Converter (Provantage#: NTIA004). Unfortunately, this product will not be available for sale as the manufacturer will not be releasing it as planned. A new product from EchoStar has been released known as the DTVPal. PROVANTAGE is no longer participating in the TV Converter Box program moving forward; therefore you will need to purchase the new product from another authorized dealer. We have refunded your coupon dollar amount to the NTIA directly, and they will be contacting you regarding your coupon information. PROVANTAGE has no control over the redistribution of coupons and any questions should be directed to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration: 1-888-388-2009 We apologize for the inconvenience and if we could have prevented this issue, we surely would have done so. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank You,
PROVANTAGE Computer Products
http://www.provantage.com
330-494-37xx Office
330-494-87xx International
800-336-44xx USA & Canada
330-494-52xx Fax
post #17 of 242 Old 06-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

I never ordered from Provantage but do wonder who was their distribution partner Sling Media like FreeDTVShop was using or Echosphere which is DISH Networks distributor for their products.

I am sending a eMail to Sales@provantage.com to ask them and will report back if they tell me.
post #18 of 242 Old 06-15-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Ordered from Provantage 5/14 as DTV Pal manufacturer's part # 159365.

Phone order, took my email address.

Commercial emails received, but no dreaded email yet.

Order status "in progress" shipping directly from third party.

Beeper
post #19 of 242 Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

I never ordered from Provantage but do wonder who was their distribution partner Sling Media like FreeDTVShop was using or Echosphere which is DISH Networks distributor for their products.

I am sending a eMail to Sales@provantage.com to ask them and will report back if they tell me.

thanks...it'd be nice to have some info to see if they will be cancelled or not :/
post #20 of 242 Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 AM

* When date did you order your DTV-Pal or TR-40?

Tuesday, May 13, 2008
"DTVPal Digital-to-Analog TV Converter"

* What did it say on your order confirmation? (Model and item number)

"DTVPal Digital-to-Analog TV Converter"
Manufacturer's Part Number 159365

* Have you or have you not received an order cancellation e-mail?

No cancellation email or letter YET
No credit card charge YET
No delivery YET

Am I hopeful? No! But I'm going to wait another week before I call Provantage. I would intend to request that they "make good" with a credit representing the forfeited coupons. Ultimately it would be worth considering threatening a class action suit if someone has an attorney who would do it.

I did call the government coupon program yesterday and found they can take a telephone complaint about a vendor, and they also recommended sending a letter to their office in Portland, Oregon. They were aware that Provantage had been decertified but had no further information on resolution, if any.
post #21 of 242 Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Isn't all that legal threat a bit moot, given that every retailer seems to be getting their order cancelled on them?
post #22 of 242 Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM

I wonder what this means for the folks that got screwed with the Provantage and FreeDTVShop preorders?
post #23 of 242 Old 06-19-2008, 06:31 AM

Well, bad news. My pre-auth that was run on 6/13 has now been allowed to lapse.
post #24 of 242 Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 AM

Emailed Provantage yesterday (actually the rep who took my phone order), and here is her response when asked about the status of my order and coupon in light of the mass cancellations (mine hasn't been cancelled yet):

"The order is still in our system. We are waiting for the product to be released by the manufacturer. They are saying mid to late June now."

Take it for what it's worth.

xpfshost
post #25 of 242 Old 06-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8YWF View Post

I wonder what this means for the folks that got screwed with the Provantage and FreeDTVShop preorders?

It should have nothing to do with FreeDTVShop preorders as no coupons were used they were kept active and never redeemed.

Provantage preorders should start complaining to Anita Wallgren, Rep. John Shimkus (Chairman overseeing Telecom), and other congress members to see if the same can be done for there coupons.

Just remember nothing really has been done yet as the NTIA "is working on the logistics to be able to replace coupons"
post #26 of 242 Old 06-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Next time you email Provantage xpfshost ask who there DTVPal Distribution Partner was EchoSphere or Sling Media.

I still haven't got a reply when I asked.
post #27 of 242 Old 06-19-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Provantage preorders should start complaining to Anita Wallgren, Rep. John Shimkus (Chairman overseeing Telecom), and other congress members to see if the same can be done for there coupons.

I'll start complaining when DTV-Pals start showing up in B&M stores and the brown santa hasn't delivered yet.

post #28 of 242 Old 06-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Next time you email Provantage xpfshost ask who there DTVPal Distribution Partner was EchoSphere or Sling Media.

I contacted the sales people but they don't seem to know very much. I tried calling customer service but their phone line was dead. I doubt they would know who their distribution partners are... They didn't seem to recognize my worries that the DTVPals orders were being cancelled. They just told me it should be coming in the end of June but I guess no one knows so they wouldn't know either! I just hope they come through with our orders if the DTVPal does come out next week.
post #29 of 242 Old 06-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:

OK. I probably won't pester her again till beginning of next week, though (unless they cancel my order before then, of course).

xpfshost
post #30 of 242 Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 PM

has anyone become impatient and cancel the order manually?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page