boxes for emergency situations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have five ATSC tuners in my house, but nothing in a battery operated device. I do have a small, portable, battery operated (analog) TV. If there is an emergency (tornado, hurricane, flood, terrorist attack, etc.) and the power goes out, I will have no way to get local TV news updates after Feb 17, 2009.

According to the FreeDTVShop web site, there are six converter boxes that are "automobile friendly" e.g. with external power adapters (wall warts). It seems to me these would be the most likely candidates to be adaptable to run off a battery pack.

They are:
AccessHD DTA1020D
AccessHD DTA1020U (both on back order)
Artec T3A Pro
Lasonic LTA-260
MicroGem MG2000 and
Sansonic FT-300A

Any others not listed? Which is the best one?

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Look here for boxes with external power adapters.
Note: not all are available at this time.
http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/Additiona...es_Matrix.html

I had thought I had found the best external power CECB that would work for me the MicroProse MPI-500PT* but the NTIA has not amended it to the list of approved and the MicroProse website has been down for some time now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 02:42 PM

Liked: 12
I have the Artec T3A Pro. It is small about the size of a 8 track tape. You can use the box with out a remote. For the price with coupon it is well worth it. Look around online I seen it the other day for $2.95 with a coupon not sure what site it was now.

Forgot one good thing. It keeps the Channels in memory even if not plug into a wall. You can rescan and it will add any new channels and keep the old ones also.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I rely on a battery (and crank) powered emergency radio. It seems to me that any TV solution would quickly run out of power.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Yeah, really. Get yourself one of those weather radios or an RF scanner.

If there's a bad storm occuring, you might not even be able to receive digital TV signals reliably.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

gerhard911,

I've got several Portable TVs.

One is a 2.5" Color Sony WatchMan 4.5volts takes 3-AA batteries or uses a Sony 4.5v AC wall-wart or DC "auto" adapter. I've also got several older B&W units that have AC Adapters and 12v "auto" adapters. None of them are very large and I doubt would suck much power... I've got several 12volt "Jumper Packs" (12 volt battery for "Boosting" or "Jumping" a Car's dead/low battery) that have 12volt DC adapters for plugging in when away from the car. They can easily be found at local stores for about $20.

I keep one in the house and one in the car... So I could easily use a jumper pack to power a portable TV for several hours at least. When I'm on trips I regularly use my XM Ski-Fi 2 and 12v Car Craddle Kit with a Jumper Pack... That's needs about 6volts and can easily last more then 12 hours of continuous use.

I also have a Power Inverter if I need up to 300 WATTS of AC Power. My Jumper Packs wouldn't last very long at a full 300 Watts but could probably do fine for the low wattage AC adapters powering a portable TV and CECB.

I fully recommend the crank powered radios/flashlights/etc. I've got a crank radio and several dynamo(crank) radio/cell phone charger/LED flashlight combos that fit in a shirt pocket and go anywhere. Of coarse you need headphones or speakers and it's a "blind" digital scan but it meets my needs.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Rammitinski,

Good call on the Weather Radio. Many "Family" Radios (walkie talkies) come with access to the NOAA Weather Band. So you could get a Weather Alert Radio for the Home, A portable weather/am/fm radio for travel, and or a set of "Family" Radios for use "on the fly" and for talking to others before/during/after bad weather.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 08:18 PM

Sure these cecb boxes might use a lot of power, but if you have some sort of battery pback up such as a booster pack for jumping car batteries etc. they would last awhile.

Further a tv can be handy in emergency. Does anyone remember just two years ago
Katrina and N. Orleans those stations were on the air throughout WWL and the UHF
one I cant remember the call sign.. They moved but were still on the air and had
good information for people.

John
post #9 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnied View Post

Sure these cecb boxes might use a lot of power, but if you have some sort of battery pback up such as a booster pack for jumping car batteries etc. they would last awhile.

Further a tv can be handy in emergency. Does anyone remember just two years ago
Katrina and N. Orleans those stations were on the air throughout WWL and the UHF
one I cant remember the call sign.. They moved but were still on the air and had
good information for people.

John

Agreed. Been using DTV the last 10 years and when the power goes out or get VERY Heavy Rains (like the recent Flash Flooding in the Region) you don't get a reliable signal. Still have Radio which is fine much of the time... But nothing beats a LIVE Weather Team, Radar, and "On the Spot" Reports of conditions on the ground.

When I get a couple Converter Boxes in my hands I'll need to dust off the Aerial Antenna and reconfigure my setup to go OTA again. Been paying for those Locals for so long...
post #10 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 PM

I have a weather radio. But have seen a few times when local tv gives info before radio does. I use both in a storm but tv they give video of what is going on outside plus the fact it is something to watch well your board out of your head with no power.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-19-2008, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
That's why I also mentioned the radio scanner. You can listen to the storm spotters live. They can tell you when something's going to hit your area before it gets there right down to the minute. You can also listen to your local police, emergency, electric company (etc.) frequencies.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have nothing against radios, but as several posters pointed out, TV often has good information as well, and as we learned on 9/11, not all disasters are weather-related either. I don't think a weather radio would have been any use at all then, or during the aftermath of Katrina in the days or weeks after the storm passed.

I just want to be prepared, and I think $20 (or $2.95 according to troydog) is not too much to pay for access to an additional source of updates.

-Chris
post #13 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Just get this Radio Shack model and you will be all set. The only possible problem is that it uses an internal battery, not AA batteries.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2855063

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #14 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

That's why I also mentioned the radio scanner. You can listen to the storm spotters live. They can tell you when something's going to hit your area before it gets there right down to the minute. You can also listen to your local police, emergency, electric company (etc.) frequencies.

Excellent Point. I haven't really considered Radio Scanners seriously... Have several family members with Scanners and I have heard several (non-public emergency) events that if the dispatcher/officer/person started reporting Public Emergency or "relevant to me" info... That would be VERY good information to have. It would likely be "LOCAL LIVE INFO." that Radio/TV/News would eventually pickup and report. Since my Milwaukee "Local" TV Stations might not be as quick to report concerns in my area a radio scanner might another tool in my "emergency" kit.

Of coarse having "Live" as it happens reports can sometimes be inaccurate so I'd probably want to "balance" anything I get off the scanner with other data whenever possible.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 08:00 AM

Here is where I got mine at they have fast shipping.
http://store.data-action.com/shop/st...sp?idProduct=4

Be a total of about $12.00 with the shipping added.

Or even here not sure what there shipping charge is.
http://dtv.bsat.net/pc-17-2-artec-t3...ertor-box.aspx
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page