post #181 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

So I certainly hope that other (if not all) cecbs will do this. I am, however, now a little concerned by the info from frank70 that indicates that the data RATE for TVGOS carried on his CBS digital station might be a factor of 10 HIGHER than the data rate for TVGOS coming via vbi on PBS analog stations.

Cheer up avnstf... I am now rescinding my earlier speculation that digital TVGOS doesn't use VBI data. Apparently, the first time I saw a fast download, I apparently just got lucky and hit the cycle just as the day 8 data was coming around. This morning I started the download at 6:58AM, checked 15 minutes later and day 8 was only slightlly populated, and checked again 15 minutes after that and day 8 was about 90% populated. So it's quite within reason that the data is arriving at VBI speeds (i.e. at the same speed as with an analog broadcast.) They may download the more popular channels (i.e. the only ones I have turned on) first, and massive amount of obscure, out-of-range, and unassigned channels later, which would explain why mine were getting populated early in the cycle (if, indeed, the digital cycle starts at 7:01AM as indicated for the analog one.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

No offense, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to take the TVGOS discussion to the DTV-Pal and TVGOS thread since interest in that discussion is limited to a subset of DTVPal users? Seems like that would be more efficient for everyone.

I agree - that thread's been nearly dead lately because somehow it all moved over here. Here's the link to the tailend: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5&goto=newpost
post #183 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylholmes View Post

The zip code on her box says "036" while her zip code is 78251. There is no way to change it tech support says. She talked to them for 2 hours on the phone. They ended up concluded the DTV Pals won't work here and may not work anywhere.

Cheryl...In another thread I noticed a relevant post in the middle of a discussion involving someone who had been trying to use the DTVPal in TVGOS mode: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14219144
Notice he says that pushing any button on the remote brings up a screen asking if you want to go to digital mode...has she seen that?

You didn't mention whether she had intentionally got it into TVGOS mode, and perhaps you don't know, but so far the discussion I am referring you to is the only one that I've seen where someone was trying to get it working in that mode to provide TVGOS data to, and feedback from, a TVGOS device. He wasn't successful, but apparently knows how to get the unit back OUT of that mode...

maybe this will help your sister - Tony

OTA only. For signal strength at your location:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, not any more.

post #184 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So it looks like Dish has gone one step beyond Zenith/Insiginia and KNOWINGLY sent out defective CECB's. Maybe this is why they kept changing the the release date - they couldn't decide if it was worth the risk to send out the first batch of defective, non-upgradeable units sitting in their warehouses? Well within 96 hours of mass distribution the gig is already up...

What really gets me is that none of the dish engineers or beta testers bothered to try out the most unique and potentially most sought-after feature of the box - the event timers - until after the first production run!

Given the ongoing nightmares of ordering these things directly from dish, I don't even want to think about what it will take to get them to provide warranty replacements....
post #185 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonalex View Post

Well, I have tried to set up the DTVPal TVGOS transfer to a Panasonic DMR-E95H DVR.

So far it has been more than 30 hours and no luck. It has not even updated the channel lineup. Nothing.

Only a few stations are currently carrying the digital version of TVGOS. Are you sure there's one in your area? Ask the engineers at your local CBS station about their plans for implementing it, if they're not doing so already.

Analog TVGOS is often (but not always!) on PBS stations. However, Gemstar (the company that provides TVGOS) is now owned by CBS, so most digital host stations will probably be CBS.
post #186 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsensation View Post

So it looks like Dish has gone one step beyond Zenith/Insiginia and KNOWINGLY sent out defective CECB's. Maybe this is why they kept changing the the release date - they couldn't decide if it was worth the risk to send out the first batch of defective, non-upgradeable units sitting in their warehouses? Well within 96 hours of mass distribution the gig is already up...

What really gets me is that none of the dish engineers or beta testers bothered to try out the most unique and potentially most sought-after feature of the box - the event timers - until after the first production run!

Given the ongoing nightmares of ordering these things directly from dish, I don't even want to think about what it will take to get them to provide warranty replacements....

Why would they replace it? The manual is carefully worded and even implies you need to keep the unit on to use the timer. Nowhere in the manual does it state the timer will turn on the unit and tune in to the selected station. Unless the box or their website says the DTVPal will do this, there is no obligation to replace a box because it doesn't. Actually, what the box and website says is irrelevant because, most likely, somewhere there is a disclaimer stating "specifications subject to change."
post #187 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The zip code on her box says "036" while her zip code is 78251. There is no way to change it tech support says.

Assuming your sister actually wants to use the TVGOS capability, she's got the concept backwards. You don't change the DTVPal's zip code to match your actual zip code, but rather you change your TVGOS device's zip code to match the DTVPal's zip code, because the TVGOS listings aren't coming over an analog channel, they're being generated within the DTVPal and output on it's analog output. Her actual, true postal zip code doesn't figure into the equation at all.

I offer this suggestion only because you posted in the TVGOS thread, not the reviews thread, and therefore I assume your sister is trying to use this feature, not turn it off.
post #188 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 09:13 AM

I received my Pal last night and got my Sony SLV-M20HF TVGOS VCR set up with the fake zip code for my area. It had been disconnected from the antenna for weeks so there is NO guide data in the unit.

I put the Pal into TVGOS mode (also with the fake zip code). Left the VCR off all night (with the Pal on, of course). Have not received any guide data on the VCR. It says "The search for data has failed. Please check your TV reception." Reception is great on both CBS and PBS channels - ATSC reception, I mean!

As far as I can tell, the G-link is doing something, since the green light on the Pal blinks now and then. When I don't have the VCR cable box code set to Scientific Atlanta, it doesn't.

I'm going to do something else while I wait for inspiration.
post #189 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
DD210, being able to turn on the CECB is the essence of the event timer description on dtvpal.com --

Quote:
Event timer
Set a timer to turn your DTVPal on and tuned to the desired channel before your favorite show starts playing

It does not say it turns off again between timed shows. So it may turn out to be primarily a channel changer, still useful, since other brands gets us single channel recording unattended. Maybe that's why the external power supply, to reduce heat when it's left on for days at a time.
post #190 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 11:47 AM

As I was trying out the Timer feature I noticed that the clock was off a couple minutes. Next I selected several of the local San Francisco TV stations and observed the clock time they putting out. Channels 4, 9, 11, and 54 were right on. Channel 5 (CBS) was 55 sec. fast, channel 2 was 2 seconds fast, and channel7 (ABC) was 15 minutes, 5 sec. fast. I next tuned to channel 9 ( clock good) and then went through the setup process. Now the clock is correct for the setting up timers. I also have a Zenith DTT900, so I was able to do a side by side comparison. I found that the DTVPal was able to pick up 47 channels compared to 44 with the Zenith unit. The new channel that the DTVPal picked up was 22-1, 22-2, 22-3. The signal level was low, but at least it picked it up. I tried channel 22 in the Zenith unit and signal level is too low to see anything (No Signal). The Timer feature will turn on the box 2 minutes before the time set.
post #191 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:

That's a good question - I tried the timer with the standby disabled, and also set at 4 hours. Same result.

So with standby disabled, I presume you mean the unit is on 24/7. It sounds as if you are saying your timers don't ever work.

Is that true? If timers don't ever work, that is a problem. If they work only when the unit is on, that is acceptable, if not ideal.
post #192 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

DD210, being able to turn on the CECB is the essence of the event timer description on dtvpal.com --

It does not say it turns off again between timed shows. So it may turn out to be primarily a channel changer, still useful, since other brands gets us single channel recording unattended. Maybe that's why the external power supply, to reduce heat when it's left on for days at a time.

Actually, all CECBs must turn off (go to standby) automatically after a certain amount of time. It's not really important if the program timer turns the box off, but it is important to have the timer turn it back on and delay it from turning off before the timed event is over. Leaving the unit on all the time wastes energy. I was interested in the DTVPal, because I thought it would give the same functionality as my VCR. It appears some of the currently available DTVPals won't because the program timer doesn't turn them on.
post #193 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:

But which takes precedence the manual or the information on the web page? Clearly the web page information can be updated quickly whereas the manual cannot.

My guess is the manual was written the way the box was designed, i.e. no turn on or off. Suggestions were made by beta testers to enable the turn on feature so the software was upgraded in later units. But that doesn't make the units with the older version wrong, just inconvenient.

The manual is very clear that all timers do is change a channel. It says nothing about turning the unit on and off. From page 12 (22 in pdf)

"USING EVENT TIMERS
You can create a timer to automatically change channels at a certain time."

Since no one has reported that the unit is turned off after an event, there seems to be very little difference between leaving it on in order for timers to work, or turning it off. Even if it turns itself on, once the first timer is triggered, it stays on until the next is triggered, etc. or until you get home to turn it off, or the default amount of time until return to standby/turn off has passed.
post #194 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I think I will save this as the last resort.

Have you tried also hooking up the RF out from the box to recorder (you don't have to unhook the composite)?

If not, try that.
post #195 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My Dish 322 tuner does not turn off once it's been turned on by the internal timer, either.
post #196 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer29 View Post

So with standby disabled, I presume you mean the unit is on 24/7. It sounds as if you are saying your timers don't ever work.

Is that true? If timers don't ever work, that is a problem. If they work only when the unit is on, that is acceptable, if not ideal.

No, that's not what I meant. I was talking about the automatic standby option that's set in the main setup menu. The options are 4, 6, or 8 hours, and disabled. The timer events don't turn the unit on regardless of the setting for automatic standby.
post #197 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:

No, that's not what I meant. I was talking about the automatic standby option that's set in the main setup menu. The options are 4, 6, or 8 hours, and disabled. The timer events don't don't turn the unit on regardless of the setting for automatic standby.

Got it.

So if you set it to never turn off(disable inactivity standby), AND turn it off manually, timers don't work.

But

if you set it to never turn off(disable inactivity standby), AND leave it on, your timers do work.
post #198 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try also hooking up the RF output from the DTVPal to the recorder.

All of the older TVGOS recorders could only receive the data over that.

(I think Cheryl just went to bed and pulled the covers over her head while curled up in a fetal position and has yet to re-emerge.)
post #199 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:

That is a good idea that I bet could help in some cases. My DVR, however, asks during TVGOS setup where is the 'cable' box connected, and the options are Ch3, Ch4 and L3 (video line in) so one would assume that they know where the TVGOS data will be coming from. I'll try to connect RF on my next attempt, though, anyway.

Quote:
could you be more precise about what you did and for how long...above you say 30 hours, and then you say just hours...was the unit left alone overnight to try to get updated listings?

Here is approx. what I did: The unit arrived at 3 pm. I mucked about with it for a couple of hours, then switched it TVGOS set up the DVR to the new fake zip (00027), shut off the DVR at 5pm and let it stew. Soon I saw activity on the DTVPal light, so I was hopeful.

I then turned on the DVR briefly on at about 10pm, knowing that the TVGOS does not get usually updated at prime time and the initial lineup download takes usually less than an hour. There was no change. I switched it off again and let it be till the next evening. It had PLENTY of time to at least update the channels.

Quote:
Had you reset the zip code in your TVGOS device as it asked, or left your previous setting for zip code?

I set it to the fake (00027) for Portland, OR. But, there is also a place for a Zip code in the initital DTVPal setup (not TVGOS related). I have put my real zip there. I wonder if I should change it to the 00027 also?

Quote:
Only a few stations are currently carrying the digital version of TVGOS. Are you sure there's one in your area? Ask the engineers at your local CBS station about their plans for implementing it, if they're not doing so already.

That is my prime suspect also. I'll try to ask in the PDX OTA thread.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!
post #200 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 02:14 PM

post #201 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofoca View Post

I received my Pal last night and got my Sony SLV-M20HF TVGOS VCR set up with the fake zip code for my area. It had been disconnected from the antenna for weeks so there is NO guide data in the unit.

I put the Pal into TVGOS mode (also with the fake zip code). Left the VCR off all night (with the Pal on, of course). Have not received any guide data on the VCR. It says "The search for data has failed. Please check your TV reception." Reception is great on both CBS and PBS channels - ATSC reception, I mean!

As far as I can tell, the G-link is doing something, since the green light on the Pal blinks now and then. When I don't have the VCR cable box code set to Scientific Atlanta, it doesn't.

I'm going to do something else while I wait for inspiration.

hmm...I don't have a box yet, and I haven't read through the manual lately, but I know the fake zip code is supposed to be entered into your TVGOS device with its new TVGOS setup. But where is it in the DTVPal that you also used the fake zip code? On the DTVPal's TVGOS setup screen or as part of THAT process, or somewhere else??

If I remember correctly, you might be in the SF Bay area, so CBS 5.1 SHOULD have TVGOS data, but if you're elsewhere, this could be a question...

OTA only. For signal strength at your location:

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from
, not any more.

post #202 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

As with Zenith owners perhaps DTVPal owners should start reporting production coding and serial number ranges in order to track problems and possible implementation of assembly line corrections for this product.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #203 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Yes, that's what the VCR manual said to do so that's what I did. Good idea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

But where is it in the DTVPal that you also used the fake zip code? On the DTVPal's TVGOS setup screen or as part of THAT process, or somewhere else??

If I remember correctly, you might be in the SF Bay area, so CBS 5.1 SHOULD have TVGOS data, but if you're elsewhere, this could be a question...

I entered the fake Zip code in the Pal when I first set it up. It works fine in "non-TVGOS" mode - that is, the channels one would expect in the SF Bay Area show up and most of them come in great. I even tuned it to CBS 5.1 before switching to TVGOS mode, hoping that would help. Then this morning I tuned it to 9.1 (PBS) before going back into TVGOS mode. Nada.

I found out I can tune to some channels using the number pad on the VCR remote, but they have weird channel numbers, and the "channel up/down" button doesn't do anything useful. So the G-link is functioning, to some degree. The "cable box control codes" for Scientific Atlanta are supposed to be 017, 019, 028, and 288. 017 and 028 don't work at all, and 019 and 288 work with the number pad but not with the "channel up/down".

FYI for any other Bay Area folks, I have found if I enter "0050" I get 54.5, which the pal thinks is "50" and "0051" gives "51" which is 14.1. "52" is 36.2. Makes no sense to me but I guess that is what fake Zip code 00005 says.

My current hypothesis is this "channel up/down" thing might be the root cause.

Thank you all for thinking about my problem! Of course my problem will probably become your problem in the near future,
post #204 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofoca View Post

My current hypothesis is this "channel up/down" thing might be the root cause.

Hmmm. Since I am having the same luck with the TVGOS in a different TV market and on a different DVR with G-link channel switching that appears solid, I wonder if it more likely points to either CBS not transmitting the TVGOS data, or DTVPal not formating them properly for the DVR.
post #205 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 04:14 PM

She has 3 separate antennas and the boxes don't work with any of them. She can get all the channels though snowy w/o using the Dish boxes. Dish tech support didn't know how to get them to work either. They spent 2 hours on the phone.
post #206 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 04:23 PM

Just so all of you know, the Dish DTV Pals don't work in San Antonio Texas. My sister wasted her money buying 2 of them directly from Dish Network, received them a few days ago and now she's stuck with 2 that don't work and out 70 something dollars. You might want to spread the word so people don't buy them.

The zip code on her box says "036" while her zip code is 78251. There is no way to change it tech support says. She talked to them for 2 hours on the phone. They ended up concluded the DTV Pals won't work here and may not work anywhere. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY...All of my family was going to buy them, but not now..BUY ZENITH INSTEAD...cheryl

btw all of our 12-15 channels are already broadcasting in digital and analog.
post #207 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 04:27 PM

I appreciate all your help. I'm sorry I don't have a clue what you're talking about when you refer to TVGOS mode. I think someone is right, I did post this thread in the wrong section. I didn't know there was another one to post it into.

We haven't even begun to figure out setting up her DVR with one of the Dish boxes since we can't get any to work yet.

I'm totally confused and the tech writer who wrote the manual for these things should be shot...the manual is no help at all and about as useless as tech support.

Thank you for your help..cheryl
post #208 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Hmmm. Since I am having the same luck with the TVGOS in a different TV market and on a different DVR with G-link channel switching that appears solid, I wonder if it more likely points to either CBS not transmitting the TVGOS data, or DTVPal not formating them properly for the DVR.

Shhh, I was really trying not to have such thoughts!
post #209 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

BUY ZENITH INSTEAD.

Sounds to me as if she just may not be receiving the stations.

If that's the case, the Zenith, or any other box, won't make a bit of difference.

You should refer to the San Antonio, TX thread in the "Local HDTV Info and Reception" sub-forum here. They would be in a better position to help you with reception problems in your particular locale.
post #210 of 822 Old 07-04-2008, 04:46 PM

On page 26 in the manual (36 in pdf)

TV GUIDE ON SCREEN OR GUIDE PLUS SETUP
Completing Setup

Within 24 hours, you will begin receiving TV show listings. It may take up to six days to receive the full eight days of initial show listings
Closed Thread Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page