Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-02-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rules:

Please only leave ratings if you have ordered from an online retailer and actually received the product.
Do not leave ratings for online retailers that have listed CECB's and have not actually sold or delivered any.
There are other posts for those situations.

Please do not flame or dagger new members.
(either believe posts or not, no paranoia please)

Use number 1 to 5 rating for each category below. 5 is highest/best.
Feel free to leave comments for each category.

Please note in the title line where you purchased, the date ordered and (at your option) CECB manufacturer and model.

1. Ease of ordering
Using website, had to phone, ease of using coupon?

2. Communication (after order)
Order confirmation email, order status, shipping confirmation email?

3. Shipping time
Was item shown in stock? Was there an advertised number of days to ship during order?
(this may vary considerably with the same retailer because of backorders or availability of newly released hardware)

4. Shipping/handling cost

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it?
(leave blank or N/A if doesn't apply)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Ease of ordering: 5 (ordered online, phoned to confirm because coupon expired that day, per their online instructions)

2. Communication (after order): 4 (they warned me, it takes a day for them to put the shipping information into their system; this morning the shipping information was entered, and this afternoon the product arrived)

3. Shipping time: 5 (in stock; ordered Friday, credit card charged Monday, shipped Tuesday, delivered Wednesday)

4. Shipping/handling cost: 5 ($9.97 for two)

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? None yet.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-02-2008, 02:41 PM

1.) Ease of ordering: 5 / Very easy to order and enter coupon info.

2.) Communication (after order): 5 / Received order conformation e-mail, Can check order status at website, Received shipping conformation e-mail with tracking number.

3.) Shipping time: 4 / Ships USPS / A little slow. ordered 6/17, received items 7/1.

4.) Shipping/handling cost: 4 / $7.50 (1) / $12.00 (2)

5.) If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? N/A
post #4 of 24 Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 92
1.) Ease of ordering: 5 / Ordered via "non" toll free number, answered on 2nd ring. No hold time. Used coupon day of expire, no problem. 3? minute phone call.

2.) Communication (after order): ? Kind of low key. No communication after my initial order. I just hoped the coupon went through OK and it did(this may bother some).

3.) Shipping time: 4 / I ordered on June 26th and received July 1. I was happy.

4.) Shipping/handling cost: 5 / $10.67 for 3 boxes, a bargain I thought. SS wanted $10 for each box and the actual boxes were the same cost.

5.) If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? 4 / I did have a issue with 1 of 3 boxes. Stark said I could send it back to them(my cost) and they would ship me a new one(their cost). Channel Master said they would do the same thing so I think I'll take the workload off Stark and just go to the mfg. Overall I was impressed with Stark. I got the impression that they were a smaller company which I also like to support.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-07-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

1.) Ease of ordering: 5 / Very easy to order and enter coupon info.

2.) Communication (after order): 0 / never Received order conformation e-mail just invoice printed from web site. Can check order status at website only if registered which i didn't, Haven't heard a word form them, no response to my email.

3.) Shipping time: not yet. ordered 6/26,.

4.) Shipping/handling cost: 4 / $7.50 (1) / $12.00 (2)

5.) If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? N/A
post #6 of 24 Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Ease of ordering: 5 ordered on line no problems

2. Communication (after order): 5 Had to wait 3 or 4 weeks for CM-7000 to come in stock and they answered my email and keep me informed of delay progress.

3. Shipping time: 5 Asked to hold shipping to i returned from Florida and they shipped on day i asked using shipper i asked no extra charge.

4. Shipping/handling cost: 5 don't remember but not that much

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? None problem, well packaged.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-07-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Ease of ordering: 5 ordered on line no problems

2. Communication (after order): 0 None what so ever.

3. Shipping time: 5 About a week but no protecting packaging just stuck mailing label on package box. came little banged up.

4. Shipping/handling cost: 1 cost a lot for the way it was shipped, no outer box or cushioning of any kind.

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? haven't tried it yet.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Results for www.data-action.com DTVPal = $59.99 each less $40 coupon

My order was for 6 DTVPal units. This is the only vendor who would only charge the actual shipping costs [$18 for all 6].

1-Ease of ordering = No trouble at all. He even called me to advise how to place the special order for 6 units using coupons. Seems like good guy.

2-Communication = Great. He called me to help with order.

3-Shipping time = Fine. Went out same day I ordered and got to CA from TX in 3 days, delivery on the 4th day. Note he uses DHL who use PO to complete delivery if you are in the boondocks like me.

4-Shipping/handling costs = Great. Only vendor who would deal on 6 units. Note his charge for 1 or 2 units is about the same as others - only an advantage for multiple units.

5-Problems after sale = No problems. I will add/edit later if there is any further information of note.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1. Ease of ordering: 5 ordered online. Website simple to use.

2. Communication (after order): 3 No order confirmation email, but did receive shipping confirmation email with tracking number.
emailed them once with a question and I received a reply in about an hour.

Register an account before ordering!
Then you can sign in to check your order status on any PC and if the order status cookie gets altered or deleted on your PC.
Do not register after you order, or the order status cookie on your PC will be altered.

3. Shipping time: 5 Was back ordered as expected. Ordered 7/1/08. Back order shipped 7/9/08 and I received 7/11/08.
Two units shipped in USPS Priority "shirt box".
Mail carrier delivered to house a block away. Lucky the recipient was honest and delivered it to me.

4. Shipping/handling cost: 4 $12.99 for two via Priority mail.

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? N/A
post #10 of 24 Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM

Ordered (2) DTT901 on 7/14 @ 7pm, he only had a few & charged $60.99 less coupon which was $2 above his normal price due to small shipment extra cost to him.

Got confirm email 7/15 w/ UPS tracking info

Delivered 7/18 @ 10am

Ship cost for 2 boxes, $8.88

Both work fine. Better pix than analog on old TV

I'd do business with Bruce again.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-23-2008, 07:30 AM

Charged me $90 (including shipping) to get DTVpal. Not pleased.

Otherwise, no complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt View Post

...they will charge you a restocking fee, even if the item is not even in stock!

Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Tell them the item was never delivered, and they will ask summitsource.com for proof-of-delivery. (Since no such proof exists, your credit company will eventually issue a full refund.)

It's illegal for a company to charge for an item they never delivered to your home.
post #12 of 24 Old 08-23-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Tell them the item was never delivered, and they will ask summitsource.com for proof-of-delivery. (Since no such proof exists, your credit company will eventually issue a full refund.)

It's illegal for a company to charge for an item they never delivered to your home.

+1, no way I'd pay for something I never got.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-25-2008, 01:17 AM

1. Ease of ordering: Called to verify Price Match conditions since I found the box I wanted on another site for about $10 less. They declined at first until I pointed out the Price Match clause about NTIA certified sites and told them I was planning on buying something else and wanted to get it all at one place. Said she would check with manager and get back to me. They agreed to do the match only since I wanted the other tems also. Placed order by phone.

2. Communication (after order): eMail follow up showed full original price (invoice packed with the box showed the reduced "Matched" price). Shipping notifications and tracking were fine.

3. Shipping time: In Stock, arrived on second day after ship date.

4. Shipping/handling cost: About $12.00 for full order

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? : N/A
post #14 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM

1. Ease of ordering: 5 (Ordered online.)

2. Communication (after order): 0 (None, no email confirmation, no electronic receipt, nothing; I only know the order went through because the $40 coupon has been invalidated and the charge is pending on my credit card; even when I called Dish Customer Service, they couldn't find any tracking information.)

3. Shipping time: 3 (Ordered late on 8/27;shipped 8/28 from Commerce City, CO via UPS, delivered 9/3--intervening holiday weekend.)

4. Shipping/handling cost: 1 ($12.87 for shipping and Illinois tax for an "essentially FREE" converter box; shipping seems high to me, especially since there was no additional packing around the product package.)

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? N/A (None yet.)

Initial impression: It's a tiny box, and the on-screen display looks good but doesn't appear to tell me the broadcast definition.
post #15 of 24 Old 09-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Item ordered: Tivax STB-T8. Ordered on 9/24, shipped on 9/25, and received (in Phila., PA) on 9/27.

1. Ease of ordering: 5. Using website, and in using CECB coupon.

2. Communication (after order): 5. Received order confirmation/status and shipping confirmation emails.

3. Shipping time: 5. Item was shown in stock.
Was there an advertised number of days to ship during order? I can't recall.

4. Shipping/handling cost: $9.95 (FedEx), for one (1) Tixax converter box.
Overall category rating: 2, as item shipped in only its manufacturer's/retail box affixed with a mailing label.

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? Have had converter box less than a week. If problem occurs, will update this post.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Ease of ordering: 5 - I ordered through the website using a pre-pay MasterCard from Wal-Mart and had no problem with it or the two $40 coupons

2. Communication (after order): 5 - Quick and accurate, including tracking number.

3. Shipping time: 5 - Both items were in stock, ordered on Saturday, Shipped on Monday, and delivered on Wednesday by Fed-Ex.

4. Shipping/handling cost: 5 - $12.95 Ground (No TAX)

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? N/A
post #17 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Ordered from FreeDTVShop.com: Lasonic LTA-260. Ordered on 10/3, shipped on 10/3, and received in Minneapolis on 10/4.

1. Ease of ordering: 5. Website very easy to use -- no problem with coupon.

2. Communication (after order): 5. Received order confirmation and shipping confirmation emails almost immediately.

3. Shipping time: 5. Item was shown in stock, ready to ship.
Was there an advertised number of days to ship during order? No specified time to ship, but it was shipped within 2 hours of order being placed.

4. Shipping/handling cost: $3.95 for entire order! This looks to be promotional offer through election day (see popup window on home page). Mine came via priority mail, but I think they reserve the right to use other carriers as well according to popup window. Priority mail turned out to be next day for me since I am local to them. For $3.95 shipping, it wasn't worth getting in the car to drive to their local b&m -- I'd waste more than a gallon of gas.

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it? No problems with initial setup. I will revise this post if anything comes up.

I am very happy with this purchase so far. Their prices are a little higher than other stores, but the flat rate $3.95 shipping makes up for it. I only bought one converter now and will return for my second after I run this one through its paces (and determine if I need a new antenna).
post #18 of 24 Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

My experience with Solid Signal has been poor. Two years ago I ordered a CATV amp from them. It was defective and they refused to take it back. Told me to deal with the manufacturer. I was polite about it, but the woman I spoke to was nasty about it even before I tried to argue the point.

I'll never order from them again.

John
post #19 of 24 Old 10-05-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post

My experience with Solid Signal has been poor.

My first two ordering experiences with them were uneventful and perfectly fine (one order, the CM-7000, barely took 24 hours to get here). But the third time was bad enough to completely offset the first two, and I'll never order from them again either.
post #20 of 24 Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

2 TR-40s F105 firmware. $.01 each with coupon. Ordered evening of 10/20

1. Ease of ordering 5
Used website with coupons.

2. Communication (after order) 5
Order confirmation email sent and shipping confirmation email with tracking.

3. Shipping time 5
In stock. FedEx ground shipping ordered Monday night. Received Thursday.
Two boxes taped together.

4. Shipping/handling cost 4
2 units $12.95. Average for most online retailers. Much less than from DISH directly.

5. If there were problems after receiving the product, did the retailer resolve it?
N/A
post #21 of 24 Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 AM

2 Sunkey SK-801ATSC.
2 boxes for $0.00 each with coupon and free shipping. Ordered evening of 10/24
Total price $0.00

1. Ease of ordering 5
Used website with coupons.

2. Communication (after order) 5
Order confirmation email sent and shipping confirmation email with tracking.

3. Shipping time NA just made the order
In stock.

4. Shipping/handling cost 5+
2 units free shipping
On website they say they can ship to all 50 states, Purto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

N/A
post #22 of 24 Old 10-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Use number 1 to 5 rating for each category below. 5 is highest/best.
Feel free to leave comments for each category.

1. Ease of ordering
Website is competent, but not 'slick'. If you want to use a coupon, you need to phone. Call was answered on the third ring, by a very pleasant guy. Process was very quick and easy.

No communication, but I had not requested any. He took my phone number, and said he would call if there were any problems.

3. Shipping time
Shipped two days latter via USPS priority mail. Packed in a second box with padding materials

$8 to Michigan.

NA - no problems here.

I really liked this place. Good price ($64), clearly not profiting on hidden shipping and handling, and I felt like I was supporting a small business that would be responsive to any problems.
post #23 of 24 Old 11-14-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

1. Ease of ordering
Website order w/coupon. Very straight forward.

Order confirmed via email. Order status available online. Shipping confirmation e-MAIL sent.

3. Shipping time
Listed as "In-Stock" and took seven days for the first order, then eight days for the second order. No advertised delivery date.

FREE

N/A
post #24 of 24 Old 06-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Finally got around to buying my CECB--after the June 12th switchover (I don't watch a whole lot of broadcast TV...mostly a movie/concert-I-pick or internet-TV kinda guy, with LR and BR home theaters). Would have bought from Summit Source--a couple of dollars cheaper on shipping--but they no longer were accepting gov't coupons, inexplicably, past the switchover. Did all my communication/ordering via PC: two Channel Master CM-7000 CECB units:

1. Ease of Ordering: 5. Simple and straightforward online ordering/coupon redemption, with handholding every step.

2. Communication: 5. Immediate email notification of shipment, with tracking link...just in time for my morning coffee (see next section).

3. Sipping Time: 5. Items shown as "In Stock." Ordered about 1:30 a.m. on a Wed. morning. Were shipped by the time I awakened the next (same) morning...I like it when folks work for me while I sleep, lol. Were delivered early Fri. morning (shipped FexEX Ground from Michigan to West Virginia).

4. Cost (relative, including shipping): 4. Units were $41.75/each, (minus $40.00 each with coupon); shipping was $12.95 total. A couple of dollars more than it would have been with Summit Source had they still accepted the coupons...shipping could have been lower still had they double-boxed, as below...

5. Problems: 4. With company/personnel: NONE. Never dealt with a real person--thankfully, as others have reported nastiness. Only problem was mostly potential: items shipped, as others have reported, not double-boxed but in original boxes, taped together. Given FedEX's poor record of box handling, in my experience, this could have been disasterous (no foam or airbags or popcorn packing, just very flimsy cardboard within (effectively none to the top and bottom of the units), in the original manufacturer's per-unit boxes). Also, shipping both in one box would have been only $9.95 to me, presumably.

From reading others' posts, it seems as though if there are no problems, then NO PROBLEM! If there ARE problems, then you've got REAL problems. My overall experience? Gotta say 5/5. Whew.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page