Zinwell ZAT-970A? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1146 Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I first emailed Zinnet tech support on October 16. An initial not-so-helpful response came back the next day. After a few exchanges describing the bugs in detail, it was bumped up several levels it seems because I then got an email from an individual who made this proposal:
Quote:

Thank you very much for the detail evaluation report to our Digital converter box ZAT-970A. We have another model, ZAT-857, it has none of the problems you have mentioned. We will send it to you together with a $50 gift card to thank you for let us know where to improve our ZAT-950A.

The ZAT-857 doesn't have timers so wouldn't really solve the problems I was having. We had a brief telephone conversation during which he said he passed all my emails on to Taiwan for evaluation. His second response was:
Quote:

I send you $100, $50 is for you to buy another digital converter box which can meet your needs, $50 is to thank you for let us know how to improve our quality.

I don't know if they'll ever get the timers straightened out but the $100 is a good part of the cost of a DVR so I'm quite happy with this resolution. If only Dish had handled things like this . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1146 Old 11-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Does RF through revert to Channel 3 when the box has been off and is turned back on, such that you have to reset it to RF Through every time the box is turned on?

Yes, I've experienced that too. I just assumed it was by design. I think most of the CECBs operate that way. I guess the assumption is that analog pass-through is a temporary state. Consequently, they default back to digital mode when powered up again. Kind of disappointing.
post #453 of 1146 Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

I don't know if they'll ever get the timers straightened out but the $100 is a good part of the cost of a DVR so I'm quite happy with this resolution. If only Dish had handled things like this . . .

wow...Zinwell just gained some major plus points in my book. not that they were all that down to begin with...any issues I had with my 970A was a piece of cake in comparison to what I had with my DTVPal...and in fact even with many of the issues resolved with the Pal, the 8 timer feature on the Zat is missed on the Pal, where all 5 of mine are filled already.
post #454 of 1146 Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

The ZAT-857 doesn't have timers so wouldn't really solve the problems I was having.

I've found that my timers get messed up only when I've rescanned or a subchannel's been added or something like that, so if I remember to review the timer events after doing that, I can live with it.
Quote:

I don't know if they'll ever get the timers straightened out but the $100 is a good part of the cost of a DVR so I'm quite happy with this resolution.

Did the money ever show up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

Yes, I've experienced that too.  I just assumed it was by design.  I think most of the CECBs operate that way.  I guess the assumption is that analog pass-through is a temporary state.  Consequently, they default back to digital mode when powered up again.  Kind of disappointing.

The Magnavox TB100MG9 does not act that way.  When you turn it back on, RF Output is still set to RF Through.  Unfortunately, while it's on standby, there's no output at all, whereas the ZAT-970A does RF Through while it's on standby regardless of the RF Output setting.

It's tolerable as it is if all ZAT970As are like this, as I detailed earlier.

On another note, three more digital stations in Chicago have gotten off their overstays on DST, leaving only three still on DST this evening.  Can't wait for the reverse fun come March.
post #455 of 1146 Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did the money ever show up?

Yup. Cashed the check today. Didn't want to say anything about this till it was a fact.
post #456 of 1146 Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:

I first emailed Zinnet tech support on October 16. An initial not-so-helpful response came back the next day. After a few exchanges describing the bugs in detail, it was bumped up several levels it seems because I then got an email from an individual who made this proposal:

Quote:
Thank you very much for the detail evaluation report to our Digital converter box ZAT-970A. We have another model, ZAT-857, it has none of the problems you have mentioned. We will send it to you together with a $50 gift card to thank you for let us know where to improve our ZAT-950A.
The ZAT-857 doesn't

The ZAT-857 doesn't have timers so wouldn't really solve the problems I was having. We had a brief telephone conversation during which he said he passed all my emails on to Taiwan for evaluation. His second response was:

Quote:
I send you $100, $50 is for you to buy another digital converter box which can meet your needs, $50 is to thank you for let us know how to improve our quality.

I have had the channel change on the timers a few times and as previous posts have suggested, I think it is consistent with the channel in question having no signal and getting changed to the next highest channel that has a signal.

Reason it happens with me is that all my timers are set to daily (I only need Mon-Fri but there is no Mon-Fri option). On a Sunday, I set to switch to a different channel that requires my antenna to be rotated to a spot where my daily channels have a poor or no signal. So I guess when the timer hits my daily channels on a Sunday and finds no signal, it changes their channels.

Is this the bug you (golinux) and others have?

And it seems there is no solution.
post #457 of 1146 Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

All my channels are strong and the antenna is fixed so signal dropout isn't likely causing my timer changes. The timers have actually been a little more reliable the last week or so.
post #458 of 1146 Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 PM

Direct contact with Zinnet would have been a good opportunity to encourage them to add s-video. Or, at least, find out why they didn't populate the obviously related sections on the board.

post #459 of 1146 Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Yes, I've experienced that too. I just assumed it was by design. I think most of the CECBs operate that way. I guess the assumption is that analog pass-through is a temporary state. Consequently, they default back to digital mode when powered up again. Kind of disappointing.

Consult the "Quick Set-Up Guide" for the ZAT-970A. Under section 5, step 2 of "To go back to digital channels:" indicates that powering off the box will take it out of APT (Analog Pass-Thru) mode.

I really don't understand the logic of this, but it was obviously how the box was designed. Unfortunately, if no work-around can be found, this design decision makes the box much less useful to someone who must have APT.

I hope there will be a simple way to deal with this. However, I'll leave it up to those who need APT to figure out how to overcome this issue. Good luck to them.
post #460 of 1146 Old 11-04-2008, 05:18 AM

I have a stupid question....

My TV set is over 10 years old... in other words, it does NOT have an ATSC Tuner. I already know that I will need a Converter box for the TV set. What about my VCR? I know that I will need to get this ZAT-970A that you are all talking about (so that I can do Timer Recording on my VCR when I am away from home). Will I need to get a separate box for the VCR, or can it be hooked into the same Converter Box?
post #461 of 1146 Old 11-04-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueball703 View Post

My TV set is over 10 years old... in other words, it does NOT have an ATSC Tuner. I already know that I will need a Converter box for the TV set. What about my VCR? I know that I will need to get this ZAT-970A that you are all talking about (so that I can do Timer Recording on my VCR when I am away from home). Will I need to get a separate box for the VCR, or can it be hooked into the same Converter Box?

CECB => VCR => TV

In both connections the COAX cable runs from the RF Out to the Antenna In.

The TV and VCR would both remain tuned to [CH3/CH4] and the CECB would tune in the desired channel at the chosen time and the VCR would be set to record [CH3/CH4] at the chosen time.

This is the theory. VCRs seem to have been overlooked by this whole program and most CECB designs.

I believe VCRs are a big reason for people to have pinned their hopes on ZAT and DTVPal.
post #462 of 1146 Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueball703 View Post

If you never want to watch one program while recording another, you can share a single CECB with VCR and tv. But I have two CECBs on my main tv, because at times I do watch something else while I'm recording. When I'm not recording, I use the second CECB for my PiP feature. I use a learning remote so I don't go crazy with remotes.
post #463 of 1146 Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunofyerbisnes View Post

Consult the "Quick Set-Up Guide" for the ZAT-970A. Under section 5, step 2 of "To go back to digital channels:" indicates that powering off the box will take it out of APT (Analog Pass-Thru) mode.

Is that setup guide available on-line?  The one that came with my ZAT-970A has no "to go back to digital channels" instructions in part 5, nor are there any where the RF Output setting is discussed on p. 6 of the manual.

Quote:

I really don't understand the logic of this, but it was obviously how the box was designed. Unfortunately, if no work-around can be found, this design decision makes the box much less useful to someone who must have APT.

I hope there will be a simple way to deal with this.

RF Through is never entirely shut off, but if the box is on and RF Output is set to channel 3 or channel 4, the box's RF output kills the VHF-low channels; even then, RF passthrough for VHF-high and UHF channels comes through very well.  If you need RF throughput only for channels 7-69, no workaround is necessary.

If you need it for channels 2-6, you quickly get experienced and skilled at blind-pressing the key sequence on the remote to get back to RF Through.

Update: while my browser was sitting at this composition window, I got through to their telephone support.  A rep named Jessica confirmed that when the box is turned back on, RF Output does revert from RF Through to channel 3.  I didn't ask her why but did explain why it's not such a great design choice.  She was a little surprised that my use of RF Through wasn't to watch analog stations on an NTSC television but to watch either analog or digital stations on a TV with an ATSC tuner while I recorded something else on an NTSC-only VCR; seems that word of such usage hadn't spread around there.

In three months this will be only a curiosity for me and not a problem any more.  Here in Chicago, after WBBM-DT (CBS O&O) moves from VHF3 to VHF12 in February, I won't be affected.  A Class-A station that carries Azteca America (WOCK-CA, analog 13) is supposed to send its digital signal on VHF4 when they start one, but not being Chicano I'm not in their target demographic; a low-power station that carries MTV Tr3s (WLFM-LP, analog 6) is planning a flash cut on VHF6, but being neither young nor Latino I'm not in their target demographic either.

For those of you who need passthrough on VHF-low stations, just get used to blind-pressing the key sequence to go back to RF Through (and four Exit-key pressses after that in case you're recording the box's composite output to a VCR).
post #464 of 1146 Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For those of you who need passthrough on VHF-low stations, just get used to blind-pressing the key sequence to go back to RF Through (and four Exit-key pressses after that in case you're recording the box's composite output to a VCR).

Wouldn't adding a splitter from the antenna be a better solution than punching buttons all the time?
post #465 of 1146 Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Not when you need the 4dB that the splitter has for a through loss.
post #466 of 1146 Old 11-04-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wouldn't adding a splitter from the antenna be a better solution than punching buttons all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

Not when you need the 4dB that the splitter has for a through loss.

Yup.  What S2K said.  This way the ZAT-970A gets as much signal as the antenna provides and the TV gets almost as much.
post #467 of 1146 Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 PM

I have a Phillips Universal Remote (PMDVR8), and I'm having trouble finding a code to allow it to control the Zinwell ZAT-970A. Does anyone know a code that will work. Thanks for any help.
post #468 of 1146 Old 11-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunofyerbisnes View Post

I have a Phillips Universal Remote (PMDVR8), and I'm having trouble finding a code to allow it to control the Zinwell ZAT-970A. Does anyone know a code that will work. Thanks for any help.

I use 0465 on my PMDVR8 remote. It will power on the box and allow you to change channels. All other functions have to be learned including number keys.
post #469 of 1146 Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I use 0465 on my PMDVR8 remote. It will power on the box and allow you to change channels. All other functions have to be learned including number keys.

The 0465 code also works with my older Philips 4 device non-learning universal remote to the same limited extent of Zinwell functionality you mention.

The 0465 code is also found listed under Hitachi, Hughes Network and Toshiba in the SAT/DTV/WebTV section of the code listing provided by Philips.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #470 of 1146 Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:

This will help since I was having no luck in searching for a code. I see that the 465 code does indeed turn the box on and off. That's exactly the starting point I need to program the Phillips remote. Because I just recently got the PMDVR8, it will probably take me some time to "teach" the remote all the other functions. Never-the-less, thanks so much for your prompt response.
post #471 of 1146 Old 11-06-2008, 02:06 AM

My ZAT-970A converters arrived from Solid Signal and I've had a little time to play around with them now. Wish I had known about these before my previous purchase of DTVPals, the Zinwell is just a much better unit. A few rough edges to be sure, but basically these "just work."

The 970A seems ideal for pairing up with a VCR for time-shift recording, where the lack of a program guide is not a big deal. In fact I really like the simplicity and ease of operation.

Sensitivity seems good, picks up the same stations as the DigitalStream converters we use for "live" TV viewing. So did the DTVPal, but the Zinwell seems to hold a much more stable picture.

These run cooler than the DTVPal, have basic front-panel controls, and 8 timers that really seem to work. So far I have not had any issues with the time, but it's nice to know it can be manually set if desired.

My only real complaint is that when setting timers you select the station using the call letters rather than the channel number! This flies in the face of decades of ingrown experience setting VCR timers by channel number, it's going to take some getting used to. Interestingly there is no duration setting when configuring a timer, presumably the 970A will simply stay on the last tuned channel and then go into standby mode when the power timer kicks off.

Overall I'm really happy with the ZAT-970A. I also finally, after months of wrangling with Dish "support," received my replacement DTVPals with updated firmware, but at this point they are just going to sit in my junk box, they just don't seem worth bothering with. (Maybe will just set aside as emergency spares in case other converters go bad.)
post #472 of 1146 Old 11-06-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

One of the nice features that I like is when you do a "Manual Channel Scan." You can step through the channel list and when you come across a valid ATSC signal the tuning bars will become active before you do a scan. If there is no ATSC signal, then there's no need to scan that frequency.

The Sunkey SK-801ATSC requires you to do a scan to see if there is a valid signal.
post #473 of 1146 Old 11-06-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut76 View Post

My only real complaint is that when setting timers you select the station using the call letters rather than the channel number!  This flies in the face of decades of ingrown experience setting VCR timers by channel number, it's going to take some getting used to.

I could have adjusted to that except that it's not the call letters, it's the mnemonic in the PSIP stream, and it's not unique.  We have two cases in Chicago of the same mnemonic for different channels: in one, three channels have different programming but the same mnemonic, and in the other the same fare is on two channels but one has a much more reliable signal than the other.  In either case, the mnemonic alone is not enough to tell you which channel the timer will tune to.  Fortunately, the ZAT-970A lets you rename the channels for yourself, so I did, and now no two channels have the same mnemonic.  Unfortunately, that comes undone not only when you knowingly rescan, but also when a station adds or removes a channel and the unit updates its table for that frequency.  When WCIU-DT added a .4 subchannel last week and I happened to tune in one of its channels, the box, of course, updated its channel table for that station as it should; but my timer event for its .2 subchannel got changed to a subchannel of another station in addition to the .2 subchannel's losing the new name I had given it.

Quote:

Interestingly there is no duration setting when configuring a timer, presumably the 970A will simply stay on the last tuned channel and then go into standby mode when the power timer kicks off.

Right, so either set it to stay on long enough to cover your longest scheduled VCR recording or disable the inactivity timer and remember to turn the unit off yourself.

Quote:

Overall I'm really happy with the ZAT-970A.

So am I.
post #474 of 1146 Old 11-10-2008, 09:49 PM

I've had my Zinwell for about a week now, and am generally pretty happy with it.

This is my first converter box, so I've been getting used to setting it up, using it, etc... I'm now starting to look at other things--picture quality being one of them. I've noticed that every channel--whether there's a signal or not--has a kind of 'digital snow'--small, evenly spaced white dots that flicker back-and-forth.

It seems like some kind of 'noise' or 'interference'...but I don't know what could be causing it. I've tried turning off my other electronics to see if that had any effect, but I still see it.

Has anyone else experienced this--or have any idea what could be causing it? Thanks in advance.
post #475 of 1146 Old 11-11-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Are you running it into the TV through RF?

If your TV has composite inputs, use those instead.

If it doesn't have them, try a better RG6 quad-shielded coax cable, rather than the cheap one they give you.
post #476 of 1146 Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Last night I was recording with the Zat while watching other channels on my CM7000. It must be the first time I've done this. When I used the channel up/down button, it also changed the channel on the Zat. It was obvious something was wrong because the Zat station ID screen came up. I kept thinking I had bumped my Vid input selection, but I hadn't. I was seeing the CM7000 picture for the channel I selected, and the Zat ID screen was showing on top of that. I think I also saw the Zat ID screen flash when the event timer changed channels -- saw it, even though I was watching on the CM7000 video input.

I played with it a bit this morning, obviously not enough, because I can't say exactly what happens in every case. But it appears that channel up/down on the CM7000 remote changes the Zat channel and causes the Zat ID screen to show up while I'm watching via the CM7000's video input. When I enter channels using the keypad, it brought up a couple different menu screens on the Zat. The Zat channel didn't change, but it still messed up recording.

I know I can mask the front of the Zat when I record and watch at the same time. I'm mentioning the remote control inferference between these two boxes, in case anybody has that combination (and hasn't noticed yet) or is considering getting that combination.
post #477 of 1146 Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Are you running it into the TV through RF?

If your TV has composite inputs, use those instead.

If it doesn't have them, try a better RG6 quad-shielded coax cable, rather than the cheap one they give you.

I am using the RF input; I think all of my other inputs are being used by DVD players, etc... I didn't use the cheap coax provided (when I opened the box, that was my exact thought: "Man, that looks pretty cheap!"), I had a short piece of coax leftover from a cable company visit. I'll look into the RG6 quad-shield (not sure I'd ever heard of that kind)--thanks for that suggestion.

I'm curious about the source of the interference, though. What kinds of things could be causing it?
post #478 of 1146 Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM

I recently wondered if anyone else noticed a problem with 'favorites', where when channel surfing, occasionally the box will jump into 'all channel' mode from 'group 1'. Just to refresh that topic, it's very intermittent, haven't pinned it down to any particular behavior.

Now I see another anomaly, but this one is 100% reproducible - I have about 32 total channels (including subs) in my full list, 22 in my 'group 1 favorites'.

Normally, if I am on a particular channel and press the 'enter' button, the channel list and mini-picture [which I think is a VERY nice feature] appears. The highlighted channel is the one I was tuned to, so hitting 'enter' again returns me to that station.

However, if I press 'enter' when on one of the last several channels in my list, the highlighted channel reverts to the first one in my list, although the mini-picture continues to display my original selection. Then, if I hit 'enter' again, or 'exit', the channel switches to that lowest one. Other than reselecting my desired channel, if I power cycle the box at that point it will remain on my original channel.

It seems to be a 'favorites' problem, because it does not happen in 'all channel' mode. I really don't think Mr. Zinwell's QA people thoroughly tested 'favorites' mode; I'd send them some more email, but they have yet to respond to my other inquiries of months ago.
post #479 of 1146 Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 PM

I note that the ZAT under manual timer has reset the date to 12/31/2047, twice in the last two weeks. No power down or interruption was noted.
post #480 of 1146 Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhfelton View Post

I note that the ZAT under manual timer has reset the date to 12/31/2047, twice in the last two weeks. No power down or interruption was noted.

That's the main reason I stopped using the manual timer. The date reset also altered my event timers.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page