Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfQuill View Post

I'll have to try more codes to see if anything else activates it, only have 984 to go (!),

Actually you might have only 255 to go thru. The following link explains why and the worksheets linked there may help you find the codes.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-search.shtml

Also there's forums on remotecentral.com where they might have figured it all out already !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Actually you might have only 255 to go thru

Yes JoeM, I see the highest code listed is like 252, so obviously 8-bit. And, this remote has an auto search function where it will cycle through all the codes, you just have to watch your device and pounce on it when you get a hit. Thanks for that link, I'll enjoy reading it.

Quote:

you can get some while you're buying the remote.

Indeed, 4 AAA alkalines for a buck. I think I can handle the extra freight.
post #543 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 AM

post #544 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Is this the remote ?

Precisely.

I think one point though is that other universal remotes could possibly be goaded into spitting out the same codes.

Obviously a run to your local Dollar Tree is scads cheaper than $8.50 with shipping.
post #545 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

That's a pretty darned good-looking remote for only a dollar. Are you sure it'll even last more than one week?

I have to go out right now past one of their stores. Maybe I'll drop in and check. For a dollar, I could always use another remote with all those kinds of buttons, and hopefully some obscure codes in it. Heck, if it doesn't work on anything I have, I could always get at least the full price back selling it at a garage sale.
post #546 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post

Is this the remote ?

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000CS8...071884-1458057

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfQuill View Post

Precisely.

Looks like it to me too, even has the same designs on the packaging except for the lower-case e on a blue sunburst in the upper left instead of E-Circuit's logo.

A search for

"remote control" 81174

brought up a few more sites selling it.
post #547 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Are you sure it'll even last more than one week?

It's probably a bit below the caliber of this: http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-W...ag-70916.shtml; I've already noticed that some of the rubbery buttons tend to snag a little on their cutouts, but doesn't affect their function. No word on its warranty (yeah, sure).

Mine also has the starburst 'e' logo.
post #548 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 PM

How does the new Zinwell "double secret probation" EPG compare to the Dish TR-40 EPG ?

I am off to (hopefully) pick up a few Dollar Tree remotes here in Chicago. If anything, they are well worth the price as a backup remote to the Zinwell.
post #549 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Got one a little while ago. I've found so far that it works practically every function on the DTVPal, also.

Funny thing is, even though it works the Pal, it won't work my Dish tuner at all, even though my other universal remotes do using the Pal code (Echostar and Scientific Atlanta), and the Pal's own remote does, too. It's a 322 - anyone try it with a Dish tuner yet and get it to work?

It also works my Pio plasma somewhat, but I can't change inputs with it, so between that and the Dish tuner, I really can't use in the main room's setup. If I can't use it in the other TV room, I might end up just giving it to a friend of mine who needs a universal remote. He's got a CM-7000, which it will work with, a Funai-made and a Go-Video VCR and Panny and JVC TV's, but he's also got a couple of Zenith CECB's, and I currently don't have one around to test it on. Anyone out there with this remote have one of those to try it with?

'Course, if I ever get a Zinwell, It's worth keeping around just for that. One pretty big minus is that it doesn't have the TV volume override when you have it set to another source. But then, what do you want for a dollar?
post #550 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll pick one up tomorrow and test it on all my CECB's. Wish I'd known about Dollar Tree before I left the house this morning, I was just at one and didn't think about stopping in. Then again, I could have also stopped at any one of the other half-dozen dollar stores around me.

USEFUL LINKS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #551 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Just looked at the uploaded photos and that grid is much better than the APEX DT502.

I'll upload a snapshot later.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #552 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 PM
gm8

I purchased one of the universal remotes at Dollar Tree and was able to bring up the EPG on my ZAT-970A having the older software version (serial number with 0830 underlined) by setting SAT/CBL device code 015 and pressing the '3' button. However, the '3' button does nothing on my other ZAT-970A having the new software version (serial number with 0840 underlined), and I cannot find any way to access an EPG. The other buttons mentioned by ProfQuill do still work on the new software version, such as '2' for Zoom and '6' for station info, so it appears that Zinwell may have intentionally disabled the EPG in their new software version. To summarize, so far I've found three differences between the two software versions:

S/N with 0830: (1) Uses 24-hour time in program timers, (2) Reverts to RF-3 when powered off in RF Through mode, (3) Has secret EPG accessible using '3' button on universal remote.

S/N with 0840: (1) Uses 12-hour AM/PM time in program timers, (2) Reverts to either RF-3 or RF-4 when powered off in RF Through mode, (3) Does not have an EPG, as far as I can tell.
post #553 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:

so it appears that Zinwell may have intentionally disabled the EPG in their new software version.

Well that's a damn shame, but a heads-up if there's ever a way to update the software in existing boxes. I'd hardly want to trade AM/PM (and I don't have the -A box for the RF issue), and lose the secret EPG. Sometimes, as in the Windows world, a software update isn't such a wonderful thing.

BTW, both my boxes have S/N 0826, maybe that explains some of those other bugs I've mentioned that others haven't acknowledged, that may have been fixed by 0830. Or, it's just the level for the non "-A" box.
post #554 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

My 970A shows a 0827. We'll see what we see.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #555 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 PM

My Zinwell produces a severe disturbance, often persistant, when the motors of my heating system kick on. I can fix it by tuning the channel of my Zinwell off and back while viewing but when I'm doing a timer record I'm not there to do that. If anyone has a resolution it would be appreciated.
post #556 of 1146 Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like an electrical isolation problem. May need an electrician.

This is why critical systems have "Isolated Grounding."

USEFUL LINKS:

post #557 of 1146 Old 12-10-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyst View Post

My Zinwell produces a severe disturbance, often persistant, when the motors of my heating system kick on. I can fix it by tuning the channel of my Zinwell off and back while viewing but when I'm doing a timer record I'm not there to do that. If anyone has a resolution it would be appreciated.

Tell us, are you using a roof-top antenna, fed with good quality coax? Or an indoor antenna?
post #558 of 1146 Old 12-10-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The Dollar Tree in Chambersburg, Pa, on US 30 (East of I-81), had a bunch of the remotes hanging on the shelves and a bin full at the bottom. I picked up four of them (two black & two pewter). Now, the hunt for the older 970A's begins.

I like this remote, it's the only "Universal" I've found that toggles my "TV/Line" option on my 1992 Toshiba and it does the "Stereo/Mono/SAP" toggle too. It doesn't access my "Menu" screens though.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #559 of 1146 Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyst View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualOTAer View Post

Tell us, are you using a roof-top antenna, fed with good quality coax? Or an indoor antenna?

Channel Master model 9540 coax attached to an indoor set of vhf poles on my front porch outside.

A temporary setup of course. In Northeast PA all the analog stations were UHF so many of us have UHF only roof antennas. Some of them are going VHF with their digital stations. Great. The indoor antenna won't pull a signal through our aluminum siding. I'll put up a real antenna when it warms up.
post #560 of 1146 Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM

Would someone (electrictroy?) that actually has a ZAT-950A please verify that the timer capability is similar to the ZAT-970A. I know the manual says it has the same timer function. Still no MON-FRI, only weekly.

Solid Signal appears to be out of ZAT-970A's. The Albertsons in Pocatello, Idaho has ZAT-950A's. I'd like to be sure the 950A really has the timer function before buying one.
post #561 of 1146 Old 12-10-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

ZAT-950A Manual (PDF)

USEFUL LINKS:

post #562 of 1146 Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 PM

I got the remote (package says E-Circuit) and the EPG !

The only keys whose effect I couldn't figure out were:

1, 5, Up arrow, amd Mute.

"1-/11" and "2-/12" don't light up the LED, so I assume they're not active.

Pressing "VIDEO" asked something to the effect of "do you want to delete channels ?". After pressing the key for NO or not doing anything, it seemed to do a scan but after it finished everything seemed to be as before.

P.S. ProfQuill, my 970A has the same "favorites" problem you describe on page 16.
post #563 of 1146 Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Pressing "VIDEO" asked something to the effect of "do you want to delete channels ?". After pressing the key for NO or not doing anything, it seemed to do a scan but after it finished everything seemed to be as before.

Yeah, that one scared me too, I usually hit power to abort it, and didn't notice any ill effects.

Otherwise, I concur with the (non) results of the other buttons.

BTW, I haven't gotten around to trying other than code 015, anyone else find other codes that work?

Interesting that our little group here has caused a mini-run on the Dollar Tree stores. And, comforting in some way to hear, JoeM, that someone else noticed the Favorites problem.
post #564 of 1146 Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post

That's the message you get when you go through the regular Menu->Installation sequence with the box's own remote because you want to scan for additional channels without wiping out the ones you have.  It's harmless, except for one thing: if you've renamed any channels, it replaces your new names with the stations' names, and you have to rename them again.
post #565 of 1146 Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 AM

Has anyone tried other universal remotes ?

My guess is the e-circuit/star burst universal remotes no not have a lock on codes for the Zinwell.

I went to remotecentral.com and typed in a few search requests ("Zinwell ZAT-970A", "Zinwell" and "ZAT-970A"). I came up empty. Also, went to the forums using the same search items - no match.

I picked up 4 e-circuit remotes at a Dollar Tree in Chicago (Howard and Western). They had a bunch hanging on display in the electronic accessories aisle of the store.

I do not own a Zinwell ZAT-970A yet. Likely will pick up 2 today. The two I looked at are 0830's.
post #566 of 1146 Old 12-11-2008, 11:40 AM

One other thing I noticed is that pressing "TV/VCR" turned the 970A off but the same key could not turn it back on. This seems to indicate it's a descrete code, different than the usual toggle code that is used.

I did find another device code (SAT/CABLE 206) on the E-Circuit that only turned the 970A on/off and changed the channel up and down, like my One-For-All universal remote does. No other keys had any effect. In my OFA universal remote, it's device code is associated with Hitachi, Philips and Toshiba SAT receiviers.

As far as I know nobody has been able to get the expanded EPG using a regular universal remote. "equivocal" (on page 17) has stated that his CM7000 WIDE key is also an OFF, not a POWER key. I wonder if he might be able to get the expanded EPG.

Anyways, for the time being, I'm copying the EPG key to my learning remote.
post #567 of 1146 Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboist1 View Post

How does the new Zinwell "double secret probation" EPG compare to the Dish TR-40 EPG ?

Just FYI, I'd like to let everyone know that the Dollar Tree remote also works practically every function on the DTVPal. I haven't found a button that works the pass-thru yet, but I haven't really looked hard, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's there, since it's an Echostar code, and on other universal remotes, the function is there.
post #568 of 1146 Old 12-11-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboist1 View Post

I picked up 4 e-circuit remotes at a Dollar Tree in Chicago (Howard and Western). They had a bunch hanging on display in the electronic accessories aisle of the store.

I do not own a Zinwell ZAT-970A yet. Likely will pick up 2 today. The two I looked at are 0830's.

Last I looked at the Jewel in Evanston Center (a strange name for a shopping plaza in the extreme southwest corner of Evanston, isn't it?), they had quite a few 970A's, both 0830's and 0840's.  I bought my 0830 there in October but haven't tried the remote from Dollar Tree yet.

The Jewel in Village Crossing also had the Zinwell ZAT970A's last time I was there, but the one in North Mayfair Commons has no CECBs at all.
post #569 of 1146 Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You mean they're actually on a shelf where you can get at them yourself? Here they're behind the photo counter, so I'd have to bug the counter person to haul them all out for me to look at. I'd feel like a total idiot.
post #570 of 1146 Old 12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

At the Jewel in Evanston Center, they're on a shelf next to the photo counter, and you can walk right up to them and take one to a register.

At the Jewel in Village Crossing, they're behind the photo counter and you have to ask for one.

Since the older units are in mostly-tan boxes and the newer units are in mostly-blue boxes, it shouldn't be too difficult to direct an employee to the type you want.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page