Zinwell ZAT-970A? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1146 Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of the lack of an EPG, I don't think the Zinwell compares well with the DTVPal. If it's price is near $40, it might compete with the not yet available TR40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1146 Old 07-21-2008, 11:15 PM

Location: San Jose CA - "Valley of Hearts Delight" - Silicon Valley, Hwy 85&87
DigaDo
I did select what I thought was a large font, but the preview did not look any different so I just went ahead and posted it. Now on my Internet Explorer 6 that post still looks ti-ny tiny just like this one. Sorry this doesn't work out at AVS.

Bob - Inactive & available: 2 SD Sony SAT-W60 DVRs
post #33 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 02:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownersedge View Post

All suggestions welcome !

What model is the recorder you want to pair it with? Does it have an IR blaster?
post #34 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Yes, the lack of EPG would make it less useful. I'm not sure why the Lasonic/Sansonic got such fantastic reviews by Consumer Reports. Microtune may mean it does well with adjacent channel interference, which they probably had where CR was testing.

I will buy the Zinwell for the manual clock alone, unless reports surface that the clock drifts badly. Having a timer feature that is as reliable as a VCR's timer is a feature that trumps everything else IMO. Most people who use a VCR and OTA setup (and don't post on message boards) don't even know what an EPG is, and won't miss that feature one bit.
post #35 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrrroger View Post

Who needs an E-guide when you have the paper TV Guide sitting next to your seat?

Because EPG is free and not wasting trees?
post #36 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

DigaDo
I did select what I thought was a large font, but the preview did not look any different so I just went ahead and posted it. Now on my Internet Explorer 6 that post still looks ti-ny tiny just like this one. Sorry this doesn't work out at AVS.

The question as to font size has occured to me before. When I clicked quote to respond to your earlier "large font" post it showed that the font size was "7."

When clicking quote on "normal font" posts there is no indicator showing the font size.

In the User Control Panel one may set or reset the font size in some instances, one of which is the font size used in the signature block. The problem is that the Control Panel does not show one the normal font size number or a representation of how a newly selected font will appear (probably) until a new post with the changed font is actually submitted. Then, how would one know what to reset the font size number to in order to go back to the "normal" font?

I am interested in changing my signature block ("A rose . . .") to a slightly smaller font than that of the main part of the post but I have no way of determining what that font size should be. I didn't want to experiment and find a result such as that appearing in the "large font" post that got my "Whew!" reaction.

What is the "normal" font size number? Once one knows that number would one be correct in assuming that a somewhat smaller font would be the next smaller number, and so on?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #37 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Edit: This time it is a image as ownersedge said the text example looked the same regardless of size

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #38 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM

This is the end of the topic for me: after I posted with the "7" font, the font on my web looked exactly same as all others. I'm wondering how your browser could display anything larger??

And Malouff's post just above shows all the same size on my IE 7.0 no matter what font size I toggle up on my tool bar -- ?

post #39 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

What model is the recorder you want to pair it with? Does it have an IR blaster?

Actually I do not record on DVD or VCR. I rely on DirecTV DVR. Thanks.

post #40 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is the end of the topic for me: after I posted with the "7" font, the font on my web looked exactly same as all others. I'm wondering how your browser could display anything larger??

And Malouff's post just above shows all the same size on my IE 7.0 no matter what font size I toggle up on my tool bar -- ?

On Internet Explorer go up to "View" and then "Text Size" where you may adjust the default. Mine is set to medium.

I just reset my signature block to font size "1" so this is somewhat of a test run. In the "Preview Post" the signature block appears as it did before. And now to "Submit Reply." The actual post appears to me to have the same size font in the signature block as in the body of the post. Is that how it appears to others?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #41 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

On Internet Explorer go up to "View" and then "Text Size" where you may adjust the default. Mine is set to medium.

I just reset my signature block to font size "1" so this is somewhat of a test run. In the "Preview Post" the signature block appears as it did before. And now to "Submit Reply." The actual post appears to me to have the same size font in the signature block as in the body of the post. Is that how it appears to others?

Same size here. Did you reset your signature font in your User CP?... that's where it comes from and has to be changed there.

|
|
|
post #42 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Same size here. Did you reset your signature font in your User CP?... that's where it comes from and has to be changed there.

Yes, in the User Control Panel and then Save (or Submit) Changes. This is confusing. Your signature block has the smaller font.

post #43 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes, in the User Control Panel and then Save (or Submit) Changes. This is confusing. Your signature block has the smaller font.

unless you've got some other syntax problem, here's the front tags for my signature to create the smaller font, with normal closing tags in reverse order:

[size="1"][font="Arial"]

|
|
|
post #44 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

unless you've got some other syntax problem, here's the front tags for my signature to create the smaller font, with normal closing tags in reverse order:

[size="1"][font="Arial"]

I've made another attempt in the UCP. Mine will not reproduce here but it gives the same information as in your first brackets with no font name, just the word "SIZE" in the second brackets.

post #45 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I've made another attempt in the UCP. Mine shows this:

"

I thought I screwed up cuz I tried to edit to add closing tags, but then the tags wouldn't show up, then they turned to lower case. I tested and the lower case didn't matter, so not sure... must be something else in your syntax. No spaces between tags and text, and no spaces inside tags?

|
|
|
post #46 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Arial sure does shrink it, I don't like it that small.
DigaDo quote this post and see the syntax.

"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance."

closing tags look like this [/font][/size]

|
|

post #47 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought I screwed up cuz I tried to edit to add closing tags, but then the tags wouldn't show up, then they turned to lower case. I tested and the lower case didn't matter, so not sure... must be something else in your syntax. No spaces between tags and text, and no spaces inside tags?

Correct. There is a forward slash between the bracket and the S in the second set of brackets.

I'm thinking I'll just leave things the way they are. Some things are just not meant to be. Thank you all. Or, as we'all discussed on another thread a few days ago, "Thank y'all" or, was that "Thank ye?"

post #48 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Arial sure does shrink it, I don't like it that small.
DigaDo quote this post and see the syntax.

"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance."

closing tags look like this [/font][/size]

Yes, now I see the quotation marks around the font size and font name. I too, don't care for Arial that small. Perhaps I'll shop for another font and give it one more try. Again, Thank you.

post #49 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Are you trying to get the first part on one line?
These are the fonts that will probably work
Arial, Comic Sans MS, Franklin Gothic Medium, Georgia, Impact, Lucida Sans Unicode, Microsoft Sans Serif, Tahoma,
Times New Roman, Verdana

|
|

post #50 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes, now I see the quotation marks around the font size and font name. I too, don't care for Arial that small. Perhaps I'll shop for another font and give it one more try. Again, Thank you.

Arial italic is hard to read. I tried your signature with Arial ALL CAPS for the quoted part, then C/LC for the author name and date, and it reads quite nicely... very clear.

|
|
|
post #51 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Are you trying to get the first part on one line?
These are the fonts that will probably work
Arial, Comic Sans MS, Franklin Gothic Medium, Georgia, Impact, Lucida Sans Unicode, Microsoft Sans Serif, Tahoma,
Times New Roman, Verdana

I tried Verdana as it has a pleasing roundness to it. I'm not trying to squeeze the text onto a single line, just somewhat smaller but still legible.

Once the text was between the two opening brackets and the two closing brackets I still couldn't display any change or implement it correctly. One effort did resize the text in Arial but the leading and following brackets appeared in the signature with the text and this change was retroactively applied to all my posts. (???) That effort was abandoned and the post deleted.

I don't want to take up others' time on this project. It's best to move on to other matters.

post #52 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Arial italic is hard to read. I tried your signature with Arial ALL CAPS for the quoted part, then C/LC for the author name and date, and it reads quite nicely... very clear.

If you posted those results and I clicked Quote and then highlighted that text with the leading and following brakets (of course omitting the Quote brackets) and inserted this into the Control Panel signature box and saved it, is there a possibility that would work?

post #53 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If you posted those results and I clicked Quote and then highlighted that text with the leading and following brakets (of course omitting the Quote brackets) and inserted this into the Control Panel signature box and saved it, is there a possibility that would work?

Here's your signature which you can copy and paste over your existing signature... should work.

|
|
|
post #54 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's your signature which you can copy and paste over your existing signature... should work.

Wajo,

It works! Thank you for persisting when I had pretty much given up.

post #55 of 1146 Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Wajo,

It works! Thank you for persisting when I had pretty much given up.

That's sweeeeet... smells like a rose!

(Now I see where the italics came from, not Malouff but just the Quote action.)

|
|
|
post #56 of 1146 Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Uh... what happened to talk about the CECB itself?
post #57 of 1146 Old 07-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
A selling price of $58.99 has been posted at watchdigitaltv.com for the "Zinwell Model # ZAT-970A Converter with Analog Pass Through." You can find the information here: http://www.king-cart.com/18inch/prod...ct_match=exact It currently is showing "Out of Stock."
post #58 of 1146 Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

I visited, what I believe to be a Zinwell corporate website: http://www.zinnetusa.com/index.html and checked out the Contact page.

"Toll Free #: 1-886-444-3739 at operation time AM 9:00~ PM 6:00" does not work. That is not a valid Area code, exchange combination.
I did call 1-866-444-3739 late last week. The person I talked to did not originally identify who I had reached, but, when I asked if it was Zinwell, she did say it was.
I asked when the ZAT-970A would be available, and she said any day now, because they were told to get ready for calls. I told her they might not be getting a lot of calls untill they fixed the phone number. When I looked a few minutes ago, it was still wrong.
I asked if she knew any retailers in Colorado that would carry the ZAT-970A. She suggested Meyer, Rite Aid, and Radio Shack. She mentioned something about going to the Coupon website, and I think she was just giving me names from the authorized Coupon retailer list, although I am not sure.

I also sent an email to service@zinnetusa.com
My Question:
Quote:
I am interested in purchasing a ZAT-970A.

Are there any on-line stores that are currently selling the ZAT-970A?

Are there any stores in Colorado that stock the ZAT-970A?

I received the following reply a couple of days later:
Quote:
Signal Group and Happy Laguna will be selling our box very soon, please contact them for this. Zinnet service team

I was able to find the link between Signal Group LLC & Affiliates and SolidSignal.com. SolidSignal.com does list some Zinwell products, but I did not see the ZAT-970A, when I looked.
I have not been able to make any sense out of the "Happy Laguna" reference.

Hopefully, these are just little start-up hickups.

On a positive note I did find a couple of positive reviews by people who said they purchased the ZAT-970A. I found the reviews at TPT - Twin Cities Public Television http://www.tpt.org/program/dtv/reviews.php

Quote:
I love the picture and sound. The people at WatchDigitalTV.com sold me the converter before they had it listed on their website. How did I watch TV without it????

Quote:
It is everything the dealer said it was and more. I can't believe all of the channels I'm getting and the Analog also.

I don't know how much we can tell from these reviews. They do not sound like the worlds most experienced and critical users of Converter boxes. The one post leads me to suspect that Bruce's Antenna Systems AKA WatchDigitalTV.com may have ordered a few ZAT-970As for evaluation, and sold the extras.
post #59 of 1146 Old 07-27-2008, 09:16 PM

Good to hear it will be coming out soon.
post #60 of 1146 Old 07-28-2008, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Happy Laguna is probably Happy Iguana. I know nothing about them, other than seeing the name on the online retailers list.

http://www.tvconverterboxstore.com/servlet/StoreFront
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page