post #1141 of 1151 Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCoyoteSurvives View Post

Nothing seems to work to fix the channel 3.1 sound problem. What's weird, is that this problem started about the same time as the iView problem, perhaps a bit earlier, but did not previously occur for the years I've had the Zinwell. And it doesn't happen to any other tuner I have, on the same antenna or a different one.

That would appear to point to some kind of weird interaction, via close proximity to each other or through the cables (I'm assuming the iView doesn't have an aux. IR transmitter). An experiment might be to try some other recorder one night and make sure the iView is unplugged.

Back to the iView remote, see if there's anything in the menu system for setting a different remote code. I've seen this on higher-end VCRs and HDD/DVDRs. I have one of each. Would like to do that to my Toshiba HDD&DVDR as I also have a Toshiba DVDR, but I like to power the HDD off (the pig's hard-drive and fan stay on in standby) which makes it lose remote memory. I also use two ChannelMaster converter boxes for these two recorders because of s-video so using them at the same time is fun (fortunately they're in different cabinets).

My Zinwell has the same problem you have due to my ChannelMasters so I put a piece of black electrical tape over the lens with a tiny hole over the power LED; that hole also allows me to use the remote on the Zinwell if I get real close. Mr.Z doesn't get used much anymore as it's for the VCR or if I want to timer record to the DVDR when I'm away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1151 Old 04-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I had a similar problem and was able to resolve it by doing a reset, running the channel scan with the antenna unplugged (this is the only way to get rid of all the previous info), then re-connecting the antenna and doing a complete re-scan again.
post #1143 of 1151 Old 04-10-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

running the channel scan with the antenna unplugged (this is the only way to get rid of all the previous info)

Ah, I see. Properly designed they shouldn't require that but...

I bet there's a more thorough reset as a switch on the circuit board, or more likely via factory software programming.

post #1144 of 1151 Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

I had a similar problem and was able to resolve it by doing a reset, running the channel scan with the antenna unplugged (this is the only way to get rid of all the previous info), then re-connecting the antenna and doing a complete re-scan again.

OK, I tried this. Unplug antenna. Load Factory Default. Select English and Central time zone. Channel scan started, found none. Power off. Plug in antenna. Power on. Select English and Central time zone. Channel scan started, found most of my channels.

Channel 3.1 has audio, and the audio has persisted for a couple of hours now. I think it is fixed. Thanks to you guys for looking at this and for your advice.
post #1145 of 1151 Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 PM

I also do not get the sound from one channel.   Is your's channel 15.   I get the sound from all the channels on the zinwell zat-97a except the channel 15, its the COZI network.  Let me know. thanks.

post #1146 of 1151 Old 04-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleycharley View Post

I also do not get the sound from one channel.   Is your's channel 15.   I get the sound from all the channels on the zinwell zat-97a except the channel 15, its the COZI network.  Let me know. thanks.

I don't know where you are, so I don't know your channel 15 or COZI. I'm in Madison WI. I had the audio problem with local CBS-affiliate channel 3.1 (not 3.2 or 3.3, interestingly). It looks like I solved my problem by doing a factory default setting AFTER disconnecting the antenna, then another factory default setting after re-connecting the antenna.
post #1147 of 1151 Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Product Features
· Terrestrial 8-VSB demodulation
· ATSC 18 video formats decoding
· ATSC HDTV complaint MPEG2 MP@ML/ MP@HL decoder
· Compatible with HDTV, EDTV and SDTV displays
· User-selectable CH3/CH4 NTSC RF output
· ATSC AC3 audio decoding
· Modern design with user-friendly OSD interface.
· Aspect Ratio 16:9/ 4:3
· Multilingual support
· Automatic and manual channel scan
· Closed Caption, V-Chip and EAS (Emergency Alert System) Support
· Support Advances Rating (Rating Region Table downloadable)
· Software upgrade

Operation 120VAC, 60Hz, 8W max.
Standby <1W
Dimensions 175 x 135 x 33 mm
Weight 0.98lb.
External power adaptor
I acquired one of these cheap at a thrift store minus its remote control. Using the Zinwell code on a Philips universal remote doesn't quite unlock all of the functionality. Can someone recommend a specific u-remote which completely controls the Zinwell ZAT-970A?
post #1148 of 1151 Old 02-18-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post
I acquired one of these cheap at a thrift store minus its remote control. Using the Zinwell code on a Philips universal remote doesn't quite unlock all of the functionality. Can someone recommend a specific u-remote which completely controls the Zinwell ZAT-970A?
It's been awhile since I had it programmed for a Zinwell but I thought my Philips SRP1003/27 did pretty well (of course there may be a newer version out by now). And if I recall correctly, all of those Zinwell remote functions are available via the menu system (I know, cumbersome).

post #1149 of 1151 Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
It's been awhile since I had it programmed for a Zinwell but I thought my Philips SRP1003/27 did pretty well (of course there may be a newer version out by now). And if I recall correctly, all of those Zinwell remote functions are available via the menu system (I know, cumbersome).
I will have to see which Philips remote I have and whether there's a better code. You are correct that, unlike some other CECBs, there is a back-door way to manage some of the Zinwell functions from the front of the box. The last time I used the Zinwell, the PQ seemed to be very, very good. I'm intrigued to try it out again with our secondary CRT - which is mainly used by my wife to watch SD subchannels such as Create, ION Life, ThisTV and CoziTV.

Amazon still sells brand-new converter boxes designated as the Zinwell ZAT-970A. However, even though the Amazon product looks visually identical, product reviews indicate that it's not identical with the Zinwell CECB sold during the 2008-2009 TV Converter Box program.
post #1150 of 1151 Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Search this thread for info on the Dollar Tree Remote.
post #1151 of 1151 Old Today, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will have to see which Philips remote I have and whether there's a better code. You are correct that, unlike some other CECBs, there is a back-door way to manage some of the Zinwell functions from the front of the box. The last time I used the Zinwell, the PQ seemed to be very, very good. I'm intrigued to try it out again with our secondary CRT - which is mainly used by my wife to watch SD subchannels such as Create, ION Life, ThisTV and CoziTV.

Amazon still sells brand-new converter boxes designated as the Zinwell ZAT-970A. However, even though the Amazon product looks visually identical, product reviews indicate that it's not identical with the Zinwell CECB sold during the 2008-2009 TV Converter Box program.
There's no menu button on the front of the box (unless there's some weird button push combo that works); I was referring to using a u-remote's menu button (though could be called something else like system, etc.).

Yes the PQ rated in the top-tier section of Consumer Reports CECB review. Of course sub-channels it may not matter much ; well maybe if they are showing something with decent PQ but motion typically sucks with those low data rates.

Yeah be careful buying the 'new' Zinwells. I don't know from experience but at one time they did show a different pic for them, it looked more boxy like a Channel Master. The description and manual didn't list the timer/recorder helper and favorites functions anymore. Menu stuff shown in the manual looked completely different too. I'm thinking it got transferred or sold to that ZinnetUSA distributor or even outright sold to someone else. Download the most recent manual before buying one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)