Do stores ever put boxes on sale? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my coupons this week. I wanted to get the Zenith/Insignia box at CC or BB but they are $59.99. The other brand at Radio Shack is also that price. Are these ever any cheaper or am I just wasting my time waiting for these to come down in price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Right now there seems to be enough demand for the units to keep the prices up. Eventually the prices will drop as the market gets saturated.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I've never seen the CC, BB or RS run them on sale. Best I did one time was to use a general coupon CC had for something like $20 off a $100 purchase or something like that. BB occasionally has 10% off coupons available. If you're lucky enough to have a Frys near you I've read they occasionally have the CM-7000 on sale for $20 off list, which would put them at the same price as the Zenith/Insignia.
Personally I'd expect the boxes to come down in price after the initial rush of expiring coupons but that may take some time, but by that time 2/09 will be nearing and they may not drop them after all.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
There are a few places that sell discount, and don't advertise it as a sale price. BiMart has 901s for $50, Frys has 900s for $50 (no 901s yet). Those are regional stores, but other regions have similar things going on.

Now, is it worth waiting for a sale? If you are OTA with only analog tvs, and your networks are broadcasting digital now, it may be worth it to get one box at full price and start watching digital tv immediately. Once I converted one tv, nobody watched the unconverted tvs. After my first purchase, there were supply shortages and it was hard to find the second one. Hopefully things are better now that Zenith is apparently focusing entirely on the 901. A second trip to the store can eat up the price savings, so there may be no point in waiting if you know what you want and it is in stock.

Now if Dish comes out with the $40 box, it could put downward pressure on everyone else.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Walmart in the western US has RCA DTA800b1's for $49.87.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardly View Post

Walmart in the western US has RCA DTA800b1's for $49.87.

yeah, that's the price... but most of the time they don't have them

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #7 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqie View Post

I just got my coupons this week. I wanted to get the Zenith/Insignia box at CC or BB but they are $59.99. The other brand at Radio Shack is also that price. Are these ever any cheaper or am I just wasting my time waiting for these to come down in price?

I don't know where you're located, but if you're not in a major metropolitan area, price won't be your biggest concern. You won't be able to find one at any price. And the chances are good if you find anything, it won't be a model you really want to buy.

Within a 25 mile radius of my location there is probably about 100,000 in population counting one larger city and all the smaller ones and rural areas. On any given day when I call every single retailer within that area, there are maybe a dozen boxes available. Once there were only two.

So if you find something that is not junk, buy it.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by miqie View Post

I just got my coupons this week. I wanted to get the Zenith/Insignia box at CC or BB but they are $59.99.

Zenith or Insignia converter boxes are only $20 with the coupon. (The Bi-Mart chain in my area sells the Zenith DTT901 for $10 with the coupon but those stores are usually sold out.) Be sure that you purchase April 2008 or newer production (see that information on one of the bar code stickers on the end of the cardboard box). April and newer production models have the corrected audio. (I use two DTT901 and one DTT900, all from April production.)

The Zenith DTT901 model has analog pass through allowing reception of those channels continuing to broadcast analog signals. (Low power and translator stations may continue analog broadcasting after February 2009.) The analog channels are passed through when the converter box is powered off (actually termed "standby" by techies but "off" for everyone else).

If you want the DTT901 and it is is not on display at your CC store you need to ask for it at the Customer Service counter. You may need to "special order" the DTT901 in order to get it. The Insignia model with analog pass through may not yet be found in Best Buy stores.

The DTT901 is in huge demand. If you find it, buy it.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #9 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

... but most of the time they don't have them

In three locations in the Portland, OR vicinity in the last five days I've seen full end caps of them.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

Right now there seems to be enough demand for the units to keep the prices up. Eventually the prices will drop as the market gets saturated.

Strongly agree. The $40 coupon program has had the effect of keeping prices from dropping, along with increasing consumer awareness and demand for CECBs.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-12-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

i have yet to find a any box in a walmart store
post #12 of 17 Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

i have yet to find a any box in a walmart store

They don't last long once they hit the WalMart shelves here in South Jersey. I saw the Magnavox (non-APT) model in-stock just once in 6 visits since May 25th. I know WalMart sells RCA models, too, but apparently, not on the East Coast...

KMart, on the other hand, has always had at least 8 of the Magnavox APT model in-stock.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-14-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

If I recall they can't go bellow the price of the coupons so a $40 box might be possible. But depending on the state they may tax the entire amount. Such as MN. Wal*mart has $49.99 boxes but with tax and coupons its still 13.11 after taxes
post #14 of 17 Old 07-14-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I've never seen anything saying they can't go below $40 but since neither the consumer or store could pocket any of the money left over I can't any boxes going below the $40 until after all the coupons expire. After that I expect to see sub $40 boxes but not before.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 PM

There are several walmarts in North Carolina that now have the RCA converter.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM

This weekend a Super Walmart in Lafayette, CO had 3 Magnavox TB100MW9s (NON-APT version) next to 3 RCA DTA800B1s.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I saw the RCA DTA800B1 in a Super Walmart in Wake Forest NC last weekend.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page