Exchange CM-7000 for a DTX9950 or DTT901? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to give a CM7000 a try, but I have no Fry's close by. I can get Digital Stream or Zenith locally, as well as whatever anybody else has instock, so I thought I'd see if anybody near a Fry's was looking for a different brand they can't get locally and would be interested in a swap. The CM is apparently on sale at the moment, so it would be an even exchange, but I don't know how long the sale will last.

Any interest in creating a more generic CECB swap thread to help each other out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcneil321 View Post

I'd like to give a CM7000 a try, but I have no Fry's close by. I can get Digital Stream or Zenith locally, as well as whatever anybody else has instock, so I thought I'd see if anybody near a Fry's was looking for a different brand they can't get locally and would be interested in a swap. The CM is apparently on sale at the moment, so it would be an even exchange, but I don't know how long the sale will last.

Any interest in creating a more generic CECB swap thread to help each other out?

you didn't say where you are located...

I was thinking of the swap thing myself...impossible here to get the RCA 800B1 (I think I've got that right), but I can get the 9950 pretty reliably...

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm Central Il, so wrong side of Mississippi for the RCA apparently.

At $4/gal, I'd blow the $20 savings plus shipping driving up to the Chiburbs Fry's just to get the CM on sale. I'll probably just mail order one if no one wants to do a swap, but I thought it was worth a shot. I guess I could always mail a coupon to friends/family up there and wait for the next sale...
post #4 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm Central Il, so wrong side of Mississippi for the RCA apparently.

At $4/gal, I'd blow the $20 savings plus shipping driving up to the Chiburbs Fry's just to get the CM on sale. I'll probably just mail order one if no one wants to do a swap, but I thought it was worth a shot. I guess I could always mail a coupon to friends/family up there and wait for the next sale...

I seem to remember someone saying Fry's didn't accept coupons...maybe that has changed?

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

They are on the list now and IIRC people here on the forum have successfully used them.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Ive got a RCA DTA800B1 up for swap.

Id like a CM7000.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #7 of 12 Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Just to update:
I finally managed to call a local RS on a day that they rec'd some stock of DTX9950's, so I exchanged my 9900 for a 9950.

Therefore, I now have a New-in-Box (NIB) Digital Stream DTX9950 to trade for a NIB Channel Master CM-7000 if anyone is interested.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'd be happy just to get my hands on an RCA DTA800b1 somehow ... even buying it retail (since they aren't to be found around here and the only box I have available for swappage is a Digital Stream DTX9950).
post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Just to update:
I finally managed to call a local RS on a day that they rec'd some stock of DTX9950's, so I exchanged my 9900 for a 9950.

Therefore, I now have a New-in-Box (NIB) Digital Stream DTX9950 to trade for a NIB Channel Master CM-7000 if anyone is interested.

Just curious... how long had you had the 9900? I bought one at RS back in May. Do they have a 30-day limit for that kind of exchange?
post #10 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualOTAer View Post

Just curious... how long had you had the 9900? I bought one at RS back in May. Do they have a 30-day limit for that kind of exchange?

Short answer: Bought in May and apparently no absolute 30 day limit imposed by their system.

Long answer: The 9900 was purchased in May, but now I can't find the receipt to verify exact date, so he may have forgotten/neglected to give it back to me. After my stereo modulators finally arrived, I bought a 9950 in late June to see if I could hear a difference over MTS RF and specifically asked about exchanging the 9900 if I liked the 9950 better. They assured me that I couldn't return it any more but they would allow me to do an exchange. They got used to me stopping in and/or calling to check for any 9950's that may have arrived, but by the time I found one in stock, it was in a different RS across town, so I just told them my story and they traded it for the 9950 with no problem.

My original plan was to exchange it for a DTT901, but since they have never had them in the store and are no longer on the web-site, I figured I'd better at least get it exchanged for another DS before they changed their mind.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Short answer: Bought in May and apparently no absolute 30 day limit imposed by their system.

Long answer: The 9900 was purchased in May, but now I can't find the receipt to verify exact date, so he may have forgotten/neglected to give it back to me. After my stereo modulators finally arrived, I bought a 9950 in late June to see if I could hear a difference over MTS RF and specifically asked about exchanging the 9900 if I liked the 9950 better. They assured me that I couldn't return it any more but they would allow me to do an exchange. They got used to me stopping in and/or calling to check for any 9950's that may have arrived, but by the time I found one in stock, it was in a different RS across town, so I just told them my story and they traded it for the 9950 with no problem.

My original plan was to exchange it for a DTT901, but since they have never had them in the store and are no longer on the web-site, I figured I'd better at least get it exchanged for another DS before they changed their mind.

Thanks!

I have a DTT901 and a DTX9900. FWIW, the Zenith does hold marginal stations better than the DS. Also, the PQ is slightly improved over the DS, but not by a lot. (Guess that info doesn't help you at this point.)

Other than the APT, do you think that your DTX9950 is any better or different from the 9900? I've assumed that the only difference is APT. Is that your experience?
post #12 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have a DTT901 and a DTX9900. FWIW, the Zenith does hold marginal stations better than the DS. Also, the PQ is slightly improved over the DS, but not by a lot. (Guess that info doesn't help you at this point.)

I got tired of waiting for RS to get the 901, so I bought one full retail at CC. That's why the second 9950 has been left boxed for now and is available for a trade.

I agree with your observations, the DTT901 has marginally better PQ and reception than the DS. I also like the EPG on the Zenith better as you can look at the other station listings without changing the actual channel. The audio on the DTT901 is better if you are using line outs with stereo output enabled.

With that said, the 9950 works fine for the price. If I was dedicating it to a smaller mono TV, then it would be more than sufficient.

Now that I've said I like the Zenith better in this thread, no one will want to trade me...

Quote:

Other than the APT, do you think that your DTX9950 is any better or different from the 9900? I've assumed that the only difference is APT. Is that your experience?

No, the DTX9950 has better sound than the DTX9900, but not as good as the DTT901. I've never specifically noted the 5.1 problem, but we don't actually watch that much prime time, and I'm honestly not sure which of our locals can even transmit at 5.1, plus I'm feeding the line outs into stereo modulators on the whole house RF, so that may make a difference as far as the 5.1 left channel issue, but the 9900 did have a LOT more sibilance on certain programs/channels.

The biggest deal is the DTT901 has the volume on stereo essentially the same as on mono on the line outs, but both versions of the DS severely clip the volume in stereo like the DTT900 apparently did. For our local Fox, which is notorious for always having low volume output and occasionally extremely low volume output (but not during the commercials!), we occasionally had to nearly max out the TV volume and we always had the 9950 set to 100%. I was very nervous that someone would bump a remote and switch to another input and blow all our eardrums. I won't watch that station on the DS if I can avoid it.

Ultimately, the proof is in the pudding. If only one CECB is being used, it is always the DTT901 over the DTX9950, so I guess that is the best way of illustrating that we like it better. I'm assuming when I get a CM-7000, the DS will move to 3rd place and only be used for those rare times a 3rd channel needs to be dialed in. We seldom even have 2 at the same time except during football season when the ladies want to watch something else. Usually if there is a second program on, it is someone watching a DVD.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page