Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 157 Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I know there are a lot of 30, 40 and 50 yr. olds living in newer subdivisions these days that just don't want to upset their HOA and/or neighbors.

I like the ones who don't want an antenna on the roof, but they sure don't mind having a satellite dish up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 157 Old 09-23-2008, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's understandable. A dish is a heck-of-a-lot smaller (and more attractive) than the giant antenna needed to receive VHF channels 7-13 plus UHF.

What's a good SMALL antenna that could be un-obtrusively mounted on a roof & not offend the neighbors? I'm not aware of any that do a good job.
post #153 of 157 Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of a TV antenna. Dishes are uninteresting and a blot on the landscape.
post #154 of 157 Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

That's understandable. A dish is a heck-of-a-lot smaller (and more attractive) than the giant antenna needed to receive VHF channels 7-13 plus UHF.

What's a good SMALL antenna that could be un-obtrusively mounted on a roof & not offend the neighbors? I'm not aware of any that do a good job.

electrictroy,
How far are you from the TV stations. I recently had experience with a Channel Master 3010A. This unit has a built-in amplifier ( that's what the A signifies) with 15 dB gain. We are about 40 miles from TV stations and they were pulled very well. The active elements connect directly to the amplifier. One set for VHF and one set for UHF. The amplifier is powered via the coax with a small unit installed inside the house close to the TV. The unit is relatively small for TV antennas.
post #155 of 157 Old 09-23-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How about a Smart antenna?
post #156 of 157 Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pestocat View Post

I recently had experience with a Channel Master 3010A.

I tried one way back when, and the Stealthtenna worked very well for me at 41 miles out. Actually, I had the un-amped model, and added my owm CM7777.

It was just a little spotty in my situation on channel 3, because it's not quite wide enough, and 3 (WBBM-DT) here is still pretty low-powered. But it worked very, very well otherwise. Had a bit of a wind load to it, though. Didn't like the way it was swaying back and forth up there - was a little nervous about it crashing down on the nearby bathroom skylight - but I did probably have 10, or even more, feet of un-guyed mast over the roofline. Wouldn't have kept it that way, but I was basically just trying it and wanted to get as much height as I could.
post #157 of 157 Old 10-24-2008, 06:16 AM

Digging up an old thread. My local paper ran a story about MediaCom raising their prices again. A reader offered this comment.
Quote:

mrod56 October 23, 2008 11:26PM CST
Heck with these guys, it's my understanding that in Feb. you can get good reception with a HDTV...That was the main reason I had cable to begin with, for the reception. Come Feb. I will be canceling my cable. 4...6...&..8 are just fine with me.

Seems like the public service announcements are not working.
I replied.
Quote:

Mrod56, you can get great HD TV right now, just buy an antenna, or make a YouTube antenna using coat hangers. I get beautiful reception in Aledo with it hanging behind the HDTV.

Bob 61231
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page