post #331 of 343 Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

It's a 300 ohm flat lead connection with a coax adapter. I think it's early 70s, or late 60s.
It received some Morning Dove poop on it, but otherwise it has held up.
It picks up Grand Rapids about 110 miles away.

Sounds good. I have what's probably a similar one in my attic and it works really well. I had to move it to a fiberboard gable side after I had a metal roof installed, actually works better than when the previous owner had it pointing through the cedar shingle roof (rain); I think they were being cheap with cable as it had flat lead that was barely long enough, I never could rotate it exactly where it needed to be either the cable was so tight. With the relo I changed to coax adapter at the antenna and coax.

I used this site, nice graph and can tune for trees, height, etc.: http://www.antennaweb.org/default.aspx
I'll have to check out that TVfool sometime.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 343 Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

For the channel 68 (RF 5) that doesn't tune on the Apex, TVfool shows LOS 6.7 miles NM(dB) 67.1 PWR (dBm) -23.7.
The tower farm has all of the full power antennas in a 16 degree range from my location, and I split the difference with my antenna aim.
That sounds like WIWN. Tvfool for Milwaukee:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de779a612f63ff0

Maybe it's overload, or maybe it's this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIWN:
Quote:
On August 12, 2012, it was reported that the station had began to broadcast from the MPTV Tower, airing programming from WeatherNation and using the new calls WIWN-TV, which became official on August 13, 2012.[6]. A week previous, Weigel had moved their independent station WMLW from low-power Channel 41 to the Channel 49 full-power signal of WBME, which carries Me-TV programming with both stations switching their calls, and began high-definition operations for WMLW, suggesting a challenge to WIWN in some way.
Quote:
I tried aiming directly at each end of the 16 degree range, and found little difference in signal strength.
If you have maxed out the signal strength indicator, there will be little difference in strength.

The Apex that Trip in Va is using at home for WBRA, RF3, is more sensitive than his Zenith DTT900 for VHF-low.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #333 of 343 Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

There used to be a page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units ) that showed the tuners used within the boxes but the content has evaporated; I bet someone here in AVS land has it archived though.
It was saved by holl_ands:
CECB Feature List
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/files/ota

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #334 of 343 Old 09-01-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post

It was saved by holl_ands:
CECB Feature List
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/files/ota

Excellent, thanks! Doesn't look exactly the same, rather a vastly improved DIY version as if he used it for a template; plus I get a bonus set of other interesting and useful documents. Man where was this doc when I needed it? smile.gif. I see some models that I didn't know had multi-day EPGs, of course they may have been long gone by the time I needed to burn some CECB coupons. I remember a group of us AVSers didn't know about TRT (one model looking to be the ultimate box on paper) until a week or so after the program expired tongue.gif.

As I suspected the DT502 appears ("?") to use a different tuner than the DT250s; possibly the brain (SoC) too. Also note the Pass Thru difference (DT250A) which is most likely done in the tuner module (integration - otherwise it would have to connector to an external switch then to the tuner). I would think Samsung makes a good tuner. Hmmm, maybe overload like you suggested if everything is working properly; sounds to have good sensitivity in the VHF low band and RF 5 is the only channel he has in that band.

I didn't understand the "...suggesting a challenge to WIWN in some way." Some way? biggrin.gif

post #335 of 343 Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My remote control for the Apex DT502 is broken. The box is useless without it. Can I get a universal remote? Or am I screwed and have to buy a whole new unit? The remotes are no longer for sale on the internet.
post #336 of 343 Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Some of the ALL-IN-ONE R/C devices will control MOST of the CECB boxes, as I responded to a similar problem for a CM7000/CM7001:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457527/channel-master-cm-7001-remote-control-code-for-universal-remote

Be sure to check for APEX CECB (Converter Box) box support in the User Manual for any desired R/C device.
post #337 of 343 Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pernspiker View Post

My remote control for the Apex DT502 is broken. The box is useless without it. Can I get a universal remote? Or am I screwed and have to buy a whole new unit? The remotes are no longer for sale on the internet.

I do see used remotes for the Apex listed on eBay regularly.

I had asked in forums in the past if there is a remote code for universal remotes to work the Apex, but I didn't get any replies.

When these boxes die, the remotes usually end up on eBay.
I have one dead box, so I have a spare remote for a second box.
post #338 of 343 Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Out of the box, my Apex R/C barely worked at all, a common complaint. So I would advise against a USED one.

I see Apex DTV Converter Boxes in the manuals for the fol. two inexpensive R/C units:
http://www.oneforall.com/support/manual [Same R/C's and manual link cited in post #336 above]
FYI: Most Converter Box codes are also found in the Harmony R/C database, if you already have one.

All-In-One OARH04G 4-Device R/C ($12) supports most CECB's (called DTV CONVERTERS), but does NOT support LEARNING from another R/C. PS: Amazon et. al. incorrectly claim that this R/C supports LEARNING....it does NOT:
http://www.oneforall.com/uploads/support/628ee2d0046b922840ac6ebf61b50703.pdf

All-In-One OARC05G 5-Device R/C ($17) adds ability for LEARNING from another R/C, something that can be of value even for "supported" devices, since they always seem to leave out some of the less frequently used buttons:
http://www.oneforall.com/uploads/support/a48b2139fd2522b897761877f8f02750.pdf

Also (there may be more that support CECB's, aka DTV Converter):
All-In-One OARN08G 8-Device R/C ($18-25) with LEARNING:
http://www.oneforall.com/uploads/support/ac9dea51bde250afae0394cdcd442c48.pdf
post #339 of 343 Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One other source of replacement remotes is GE, but you have to get the models with Version 1 codes (the lettering on these remotes is usually in CAPITAL LETTERS). The code list on the GE (Jasco) webpage lists the CECB's and codes. The model I tried had the extremely hard to find special codes for the Sansonic FT300A. See my posts on the Sansonic FT300A thread for details.
post #340 of 343 Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Liked: 30
I have a DT502 that I use as a signal source for testing mobile DVRs for school buses on the test bench. It hasn't gotten a lot of hours, but has been left on for extended periods while I checked for heat-related DVR failures. When I tried to turn it on after being shut down for a week, the power button turns green with both the remote and physically pushing it, but I get no output. Is there a reset procedure I should try? Is the box DOA now? What do you guys think? (or is there anyone still reading this thread? eek.gif)

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #341 of 343 Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM

So... I tried unplugging the box for a third time, then plugged it back in and left it on. Checked just before leaving and... it was working. I credit AVSForum with the fix - all I had to do was post here! biggrin.gif

post #342 of 343 Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba View Post

So... I tried unplugging the box for a third time, then plugged it back in and left it on. Checked just before leaving and... it was working. I credit AVSForum with the fix - all I had to do was post here! biggrin.gif

Congrats! I was going to post yesterday but didn't want to step on your post without a 'real' solution (i.e. I don't have a 502 but looking out for any on the cheap as I've read it has a nice EPG and the only Apex worth a hoot).

Anyhow I've had weird problems with my ChannelMaster CM7000's where the pic gets real bad interline twitter and the only solution was to unplug it while still powered up (i.e. what I like to call a hard reset).

Some if not all boxes have a reset of sorts in their menu (System, Setup, etc.) but it restores all settings to factory defaults meaning you lose channel scan info and personal settings; may or may not help with your type of problem depending on how they implemented the user reset design.
Some boxes have a reset switch on one of the circuit boards which may or may not have user access without taking the cover off; this would be a more 'solid' reset.

post #343 of 343 Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 PM

May have been some bad data broadcast from one of our stations - I forgot that I had to do a full reset on my DTVPal within the last week or so due to the EPG not populating past the current programs on all channels.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page