Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 421 Old 08-12-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it's own thread, figure i'll use one of my coupons on this box when comes on sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 421 Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 PM

You left the "p" off.

Highly suspicious.

;-)

If the TR40 is identical to the DTVpal, then I do not want it. I already have plenty of DTVpals. I'll probably save my money for the TR50 DVR if it ever hits the light of day.
post #3 of 421 Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just what we need - another Dish CECB thread.
post #4 of 421 Old 08-12-2008, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Since it's going to be the same box as the Pal, this thread seems pointless - it will just get rolled into the main one by Ken H.

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #5 of 421 Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Aye, but that thread is reaching maximum capacity! She can't hold much more redundancy and bitching Captain!
post #6 of 421 Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Dammit, Scotty, if it weren't for the redundancy and bitching, it would have gone off the forum long ago - you've got...to...hold...it...together!

post #7 of 421 Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

You left the "p" off.

Highly suspicious.

;-)

If the TR40 is identical to the DTVpal, then I do not want it. I already have plenty of DTVpals...

We could always have a bonfire....
post #8 of 421 Old 08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

You left the "p" off.

Highly suspicious.

;-)

If the TR40 is identical to the DTVpal, then I do not want it. I already have plenty of DTVpals. I'll probably save my money for the TR50 DVR if it ever hits the light of day.

The TR-50 shown at CES 2008 was probably just a mock-up, as was the TR-40. These were great ideas but the reality is something else. The TR-50 remains an idea with some media hype thrown in for good effect. Will there even be a TR-50?

Once the bean counters at Dish Network realize that OTA is more trouble for them than it's worth they will cut their losses and concentrate on their core product, satellite services.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #9 of 421 Old 08-13-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Will there even be a TR-50?

post #10 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

So, Dish quietly released the TR-40CRA recently. I tried to order a couple online at dtvpal.com, but it said I had to call because I'm a former Dish subscriber.

I called the number it gave me, and after making my way through the menu system I was immediately connected to a CSR. I said, "I'd like to order two TR-40's." After what seemed like 5 minutes of silence, he said "Ok. Do you want to schedule an installation?" I said, "I think I can handle it..." He said the total was going to be $177.92. I asked, "How is that possible if the boxes are $40 a piece?" He then put me on hold for 10 minutes, then came back and said it would be $80 before coupons (I think I could have told him that). After that, the rest was a breeze.

They should be here next week. I'll let everyone know what arrives. I'm hoping it will be two TR-40's, but a part of me thinks it will be Charles Ergen who will kick me in the nuts then run away laughing...
post #11 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

So, Dish quietly released the TR-40CRA recently. I tried to order a couple online at dtvpal.com, but it said I had to call because I'm a former Dish subscriber.

I called the number it gave me, and after making my way through the menu system I was immediately connected to a CSR. I said, "I'd like to order two TR-40's." After what seemed like 5 minutes of silence, he said "Ok. Do you want to schedule an installation?" I said, "I think I can handle it..." He said the total was going to be $177.92. I asked, "How is that possible if the boxes are $40 a piece?" He then put me on hold for 10 minutes, then came back and said it would be $80 before coupons (I think I could have told him that). After that, the rest was a breeze.

They should be here next week. I'll let everyone know what arrives. I'm hoping it will be two TR-40's, but a part of me thinks it will be Charles Ergen who will kick me in the nuts then run away laughing...

......Why would you want them in the first place (assuming that they're simply nightmarish "DTV PAL" clones)!!
......basically you're paying $17.90 (ripoff shipping charges) to be aggrevated!......What's the point?
post #12 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Not so quiet a release on this box, actually. A wire services press release made the point that the $40 commitment was met with this "entry level" product, and talked up pay tv offers.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...____LAW070.htm

Quote:
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Aug. 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), the digital transition leader, today announced two more affordable solutions for consumers affected by the upcoming digital transition. The TR-40 CRA by DISH Network, an entry-level, digital-to-analog converter box, is now available for sale nationwide at http://www.TR40CRA.com, by calling 1-888-638-9912 or via participating DISH Network retailers. Additionally, consumers may opt to sign up for DISH Network’s recently-introduced American or Latino Welcome Packs, featuring 20 popular channels for less than $10 per month. ...

"We made a commitment to sell a $40 coupon-eligible converter box -- making it free when a government coupon is applied -- and are delivering on that commitment with our entry-level TR-40 CRA," said Tom Stingley, executive vice president of Sales and Distribution for DISH Network. "Our digital-to-analog converter boxes, along with the $9.99 programming package solutions, are additional ways DISH Network is making high quality TV more accessible to consumers nationwide."

The TR-40 CRA adds to DISH Network’s lineup of digital-to-analog converter boxes, and features a unique analog pass-through feature; an easy-to-follow setup wizard; an electronic program guide with up to seven days of program listings; parental controls; program search; auto tune timers for program recording on a connected VCR; closed caption support; a remote control; and signal strength screen pop-ups that can troubleshoot lost signals....

post #13 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Not so quiet a release on this box, actually. A wire services press release made the point that the $40 commitment was met with this "entry level" product, and talked up pay tv offers.

.....I just love how DISH brags about just how great the "DTV PAL" is on their website!......what a joke!!
post #14 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Do we need yet another thread about this clone of the DTVPAL? Mods, merge this with the Pal thread.
post #15 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

......Why would you want them in the first place (assuming that they're simply nightmarish "DTV PAL" clones)!!
......basically you're paying $17.90 (ripoff shipping charges) to be aggrevated!......What's the point?

I have no use for program timers, so I've been very happy with the DTVPal. And if the TR-40 happens to fix the timer problems, even better...
post #16 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

So if we take the announcement you provided at face value, the TR-40 eliminates the TVGOS conversion feature of the DTVPal -- which hasn't worked yet anyway.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #17 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Do we need yet another thread about this clone of the DTVPAL? Mods, merge this with the Pal thread.

I have a feeling that if it turns into another thread of constant whining about the unit, from people who bought it after knowing full well about the problems with the first unit, and after not waiting 'till the reviews came in before they bought it, the mods are probably just gonna nuke the pathetic thing entirely anyway.
post #18 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

So if we take the announcement you provided at face value, the TR-40 eliminates the TVGOS conversion feature of the DTVPal -- which hasn't worked yet anyway.

Yes - supposedly because no one has inserted the proper "code" yet in their signal, which they're supposedly working on. So you might want to keep that in mind, since I know you'd really like that feature if it's working.
post #19 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

That's probably the reason for the price drop, probably the elimination of a chip and related licensing fees.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #20 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 AM

well I think this thread should mainly figure out if the TR-40CRAs have fixed any of the timer problems...I guess Symbios will be the first one to receive his units. I hope he will still test the timers for us even though he doesn't use them. :/
post #21 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course I will.

I also plan to take it apart and snap a few pictures so we can see if anything has changed.
post #22 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Or maybe the "plus" in the Pal Plus (on the CECB approved list) is a real tvguide.
post #23 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

That's probably the reason for the price drop, probably the elimination of a chip and related licensing fees.

But are they really paying licensing fees? They're not really using their guide or interface. Just *supposedly* converting the data.
post #24 of 421 Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Or maybe the "plus" in the Pal Plus (on the CECB approved list) is a real tvguide.

Now that would really p*ss me off.
post #25 of 421 Old 08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Received my TR-40's today! Was not expecting that at all.

Pictures to come...
post #26 of 421 Old 08-22-2008, 06:57 PM

hmmm...yeah I think this box having a thread of its own is kinda pointless. it's like the Insignia and Zenith boxes having theuir own thread...they are the same...just a different label.

Besides that it's not like there will be anything more positive to say about these than there is to say about the DTVPal...and if it does work right, it'll just be rubbing it in the face of the people who paid $20 more for the DTVPal.

Why not lock the thread now and keep the peace?
post #27 of 421 Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post

Besides that it's not like there will be anything more positive to say about these than there is to say about the DTVPal...

It would be useful to know, is it exactly the same box with a different logo printed on top, or if there are differences, what they are.
post #28 of 421 Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

Received my TR-40's today!

Before the pix, can you let us know please what version of the firmware / software is on that puppy please?
post #29 of 421 Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Well folks, other than the logo and the price, I see no absolutely no differences between the TR-40CRA and the DTVPal.
On the plus side, they do ship with F103 installed... But I haven't tried messing with timers yet, so I don't know if any of that is fixed or not.

post #30 of 421 Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 PM

Digitalstar.com is selling the TR-40CRA for $40.00 (free w/coupon).
Shipping is $8.00 for 1 or $13.00 for 2
Closed Thread Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page