post #31 of 401 Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec630 View Post

Has anyone read if the Plus will be sold at the retailers like Sears?

Maybe if I wait, the TR40-CRA Plus will show up and I can save $20...

That'd be nice all the users wanting a Dish to release a TR40-CRA+ will get their wish. Somebody can have a laugh.

I would have been in the market for a + model since I've several stations that are on the fringe. I wonder if it's just a DTVPAL/TR40 with a small built in amp... which someone could "add on" to a regular model themselves and save the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 401 Old 09-24-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I wonder if "plus" is actually a software (firmware) update and not a hardware upgrade. F106 to the rescue.
post #33 of 401 Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It uses a new silicon based tuner instead of the Thomson can. If they were like any other consumer electronics company, they would have just released this as a Pal with a new hardware version number. But since they are Dish, they're going to milk this for everything it's worth PR wise and jack the price up.
post #34 of 401 Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post

heres my question...why bother updating the tuner and not adding in S-video. thats just silly.

Not silly at all - they need something to justify the price increase of the DTVPal Advanced with s-video output.
post #35 of 401 Old 09-25-2008, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So the grand total now is 3 models with 4? firmware versions and we have 5 months till the transition. Anyone care to guess what'll be the grand total by then?
post #36 of 401 Old 09-25-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

It uses a new silicon based tuner instead of the Thomson can. If they were like any other consumer electronics company, they would have just released this as a Pal with a new hardware version number. But since they are Dish, they're going to milk this for everything it's worth PR wise and jack the price up.

Microtune MT2131 tuner?
post #37 of 401 Old 09-25-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Reportedly the tuner is built into the main board. No tuner brand name on the beta versions.
post #38 of 401 Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin09 View Post

Microtune MT2131 tuner?

This was posted on a SatelliteGuys thread:

It's the same one in the DVR as in the Plus. The DTVPal Plus uses a Silicon tuner from Microtune instead of the old Thompson "can" tuner.

FYI, it's the same tuner as in the Sansonic and Lasonic CECBs that got top ratings for picture quality.
post #39 of 401 Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec630 View Post

This was posted on a SatelliteGuys thread:

It's the same one in the DVR as in the Plus. The DTVPal Plus uses a Silicon tuner from Microtune instead of the old Thompson "can" tuner.

FYI, it's the same tuner as in the Sansonic and Lasonic CECBs that got top ratings for picture quality.

In the digital world, the tuner has nothing to do with picture quality (other than possibly getting pixelation break-up if it's not receiving a station well enough).
post #40 of 401 Old 09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

So the grand total now is 3 models with 4? firmware versions and we have 5 months till the transition. Anyone care to guess what'll be the grand total by then?

As many as people are stupid enough to buy.
post #41 of 401 Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba View Post

Oooh! With an "enhanced" digital tuner! For $69.99!

I'm looking forward to future press releases to see what kind of spin Baghdad Francie will put on it.
post #42 of 401 Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios View Post

Sounds like they have learned from Microsoft.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #43 of 401 Old 09-26-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post

Good that you were able to "trade it in". Have a few C64 units myself. From what I've read the Plus/4 was just not "compatible" enough for North American Market and the popularity of the C64. Did you trade in for a C128 or a C64?

I liked the Plus/4. Its BASIC made easy things that took lots of POKEing and ML routines on the C64. By then, Commodore's only distribution channel was sitting through a timeshare spiel. Got a C16 that way. Traded it for the Plus/4 someone else got.

Sorry to drift off off-topic, I thought I read that silicon tuners are supposed to run cooler than the can tuners. Maybe that means the DTVPal/Plus won't have to use the antenna as a heatsink.

post #44 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

There are others that use the Microtune chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...nits#CECB_List

USEFUL LINKS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #45 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

Dish claims the "plus" has a more sensitive tuner to get more stations. (1) Have any beta testers been able to verify this claim?

Don't ask me. If that's the only difference, then I certainly have no intention of ever ordering one.
post #46 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think anyone here has ordered one. I wonder how many they've sold so far?
post #47 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

There are others that use the Microtune chip. ----- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...nits#CECB_List

The only Microtune-equipped unit which I've tested is the Zinwell ZAT, and its tuner does not seem any better than the existing DTVpal's Thomson tuner. Hmmm.

Also:

I see the CM7000 has a Thomson tuner, and I think it's the best box, and yet I think the DTVpal is the worst box (in terms of sensitivity). Hmmm. Maybe there's more to the reception of channels than just dropping a tuner in a circuit.
post #48 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
If you mean the Zat 970A, it's a Sanyo can tuner.
post #49 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I updated the Wiki page on Sunday, after I opened my ZAT-970A to confirm the internals. Zinwell does have a couple of units that use the silicon tuner.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #50 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
No, he means the ZAT-756A

Human perception is not a direct consequence of reality, but rather an act of imagination. - Michael Faraday
post #51 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I know a couple Zats have Microtune, but IIRC electrictroy said he got the 970A for the timers -- and it is Sanyo.
post #52 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

I know a couple Zats have Microtune, but IIRC electrictroy said he got the 970A for the timers -- and it is Sanyo.

Is there any way to know without taking it apart? The tuner in my Zat970A is excellent so I'm thinking it might be a Sanyo.

I now have a M-F timer set and it fires perfectly at the appointed time. If another coupon comes my way, I'll probably get another ZAT as DTVPal still isn't fixed, it seems.
post #53 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, golinux, read Systems2000's comments post #67.
post #54 of 401 Old 09-30-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

Is there any way to know without taking it apart?

The ZAT-970A was the simplest CECB that I've taken apart. Just remove all the phillips screws that you see. I haven't taken apart my APEX DT502, because of a warranty tag that would be broken and I don't feel like voiding my one year warranty, on the box.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #55 of 401 Old 10-01-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

(2) Do any other boxes use the DTVpal-Plus's tuner module/chip?

Microtune has a list on their website: NTIA-Certified Converter Boxes that Contain Microtune Technology

A Consumer Reports comparison of several CECBs from earlier in the year had the Sansonic and Lasonic boxes listed as the highest picture quality of the 10 or so that they tested. I don't remember what other boxes were tested.
post #56 of 401 Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

As stated on Microtune's website:

Quote:
The MT2131 tuner exceeds the minimum requirements for RF phase noise, adjacent channel rejection, taboo channel rejection, and minimum and maximum input signal levels--the key tuner-related parameters specified for receiver performance in a NTIA coupon-eligible converter box (CECB)(1).

What CECB doesn't? If this is what makes a "Silicon Tuner" better than a "Can Tuner", I don't get it. ???

I thought the "Silicon Tuner" was supposed to outperform and exceed the capabilities of the "Can Tuner." From what I read the Sansonic and Lasonic, don't perform well at all.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #57 of 401 Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

As stated on Microtune's website:
What CECB doesn't? If this is what makes a "Silicon Tuner" better than a "Can Tuner", I don't get it. ???

Actually, most of the "can" tuners don't, which is why Microtune sent letters the the NTIA to report them (after the manufacturers did nothing to fix the problems). Of course, the government did nothing...

Quote:

I thought the "Silicon Tuner" was supposed to outperform and exceed the capabilities of the "Can Tuner." From what I read the Sansonic and Lasonic, don't perform well at all.

There are other issues with the Sansonic and Lasonic boxes that are unrelated to the tuners.
post #58 of 401 Old 10-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

(2) Do any other boxes use the DTVpal-Plus's tuner module/chip?

A Consumer Reports comparison of several CECBs from earlier in the year had the Sansonic and Lasonic boxes listed as the highest picture quality .....

That was not why I asked the question. A box can have fantastic picture quality, but it's worthless if it only gets 1 station. But a box that gets 20, I'd probably $100 just to acquire that, even if the picture looked like VHS.

More stations == more choice == better.
post #59 of 401 Old 10-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

DTVPal Plus arrived today. I don't have a DTVPal to compare it against however using the same antenna and location comparing channels received with ATI's TV Wonder USB 600 the DTVPal Plus receives 18 channels here in the office while the ATI stick only receives 8 channels.

We ordered the Plus from DTVPal.com on Monday and it's here by Friday via UPS...

Firmware is F106

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit

post #60 of 401 Old 10-03-2008, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Microtune has a list on their website: NTIA-Certified Converter Boxes that Contain Microtune Technology

A Consumer Reports comparison of several CECBs from earlier in the year had the Sansonic and Lasonic boxes listed as the highest picture quality of the 10 or so that they tested. I don't remember what other boxes were tested.

......They recently updated their ratings and found the Channel Master to have the best PQ......
so much for the tuner influencing the PQ!

......perhaps it's more the overall design vs. the type of tuner used?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page