Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 401 Old 02-08-2009, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

The real difference is, you can see four channels at a time in the DTVPal Plus guide without scrolling vs. one with the CM.

But as I explained before, you can't watch the TV at the same time when you use that guide, which is very annoying. I prefer the CM's method of overlapping all 12 hours of the guide so it doesn't interrupt whatever I'm watching.

And if you use the DTVpal's browse button, then you're stuck with a lousy one channel/one hour thing. It's ____. And finally, the DTVpal's tuner does not receive channels 6, 10 or 17 in my area. I prefer a tuner that can get those channels.

I sold my last DTVpal for $75 on amazon.com. So at last I've gotten rid of the thing. I never should have bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 401 Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Wow - there really is a sucker born every minute.
post #93 of 401 Old 02-08-2009, 03:49 PM

If you use DTVPal's browse button, keep pushing it to move the highlighted box and you can see what is on many hours a head of time,depending on the channel.You can push the up and down arrows for other channels. Push the info button to see what the show is about, all while watching your program.
post #94 of 401 Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy View Post

Bought it at Kmart.It is the Pal plus.I was waiting for them to come in a long time and saw that they had got a big shipment of Zeniths in and noticed some Pals sitting next to them. Then noticed they said Pal plus on the box. Same price as the Pal ($60).

interesting that the Pal Plus is now being sold in B&M stores. I'm wondering if I should go get one and check it out to see how well the reception is over my regular Pal.

can you tell us the software version and such on your Pal Plus?

As far as your problem with the color of the channel, you might want to give the station a call.
post #95 of 401 Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wouldn't waste my money. In marginal circumstances - the Plus will probably pull some stations that the regular PAL can't, but for most people on most stations, there won't be much difference.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #96 of 401 Old 02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

I sold my last DTVpal for $75 on amazon.com. So at last I've gotten rid of the thing.

So the "Just hooked it up again yesterday" and habitual bashing posts will come to an end?
post #97 of 401 Old 02-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

I wouldn't waste my money. In marginal circumstances - the Plus will probably pull some stations that the regular PAL can't, but for most people on most stations, there won't be much difference.

yeah...I was thinking that...just curious. when my cm-7000 picks up a distant weak station moderately well (but still not 100%), my Pal picks it up OK. when it's choppy/pixelated on my cm-7000, it's absent on my Pal. So the best "worst-case" I could likely attain would be choppy/pixelated...in which case I wouldnt watch it anyway.

Of course, if i buy it full out of pocket outright, I have the full "money back guarantee" which would allow me to satisfy my curiousity and still return it no questions asked.
post #98 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 04:32 AM

Yeah that's why I like selling on amazon (versus ebay). You can list some outrageous price, and even if it takes a few months, eventually somebody with more Money than sense buys your item.

And yes I will watch a pixelated station, rather than miss the Phillies game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy View Post

If you use DTVPal's browse button, keep pushing it to move the highlighted box and you can see what is on many hours a head of time,

Yeah I know, but with the Channel Master, you can see all 12 hours without pressing anything. It's just more convenient. Also the CM gets more stations than the DTVpal.
Quote:

So the "Just hooked it up again yesterday" and habitual bashing posts will come to an end?

No. And did I mention how I got ripped-off by Sling Media? ;-)
post #99 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post

yeah...I was thinking that...just curious. when my cm-7000 picks up a distant weak station moderately well (but still not 100%), my Pal picks it up OK. when it's choppy/pixelated on my cm-7000, it's absent on my Pal. So the best "worst-case" I could likely attain would be choppy/pixelated...in which case I wouldnt watch it anyway.

Of course, if i buy it full out of pocket outright, I have the full "money back guarantee" which would allow me to satisfy my curiousity and still return it no questions asked.

My mom has a DTVPal Plus with an efficient rooftop antenna.
50 miles from towers that tunes two low power stations without a pixelated picture.

The original DTVPal and Zenith DTT901 won't even add the two stations to the channel list.

When they become available at your local Kmart, give it a try.
post #100 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

My mom has a DTVPal Plus with an efficient rooftop antenna.
50 miles from towers that tunes two low power stations without a pixelated picture.

The original DTVPal and Zenith DTT901 won't even add the two stations to the channel list.

When they become available at your local Kmart, give it a try.

Your mom is in one of those those situations where the PAL Plus really added a Plus and was worth it. I'm just saying most people in most situations, the difference is not that radical.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #101 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

I'm just saying most people in most situations, the difference is not that radical.

Agreed, although the price of the DTVPal Plus is now the same as the DTVPal and it's finally showing up at local retail.
Also, I believe that the Plus will replace the DTVPal (with it's old tuner) when it's stock runs dry.
post #102 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Maybe I ought to try the $70 DTVpal - plus. Although I am skeptical it will be any better than my Channel Master, which already outperforms the Zenith 900.
post #103 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

My mom has a DTVPal Plus with an efficient rooftop antenna.50 miles from towers that tunes two low power stations without a pixelated picture. The original DTVPal and Zenith DTT901 won't even add the two stations to the channel list.

Great information Beeper! Sounds like the new tuner does make a difference.
post #104 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 PM

I took a little trip down to Kmart this afternoon and sure enough, there was a shelf full of DTVPal Pluses. I took it to the counter, paid full retail price, and brought it back hom for testing/comparison to my DTVPal.

When I got home I swapped it out with my original DTVPal, did a scan for channels, confirmed the software version F106 and that it was indeed a DTVPal+ in the menu.

It found the exact same number of channels as my original DTVPal and CM-7000 did. So I tuned it to the channel I was most interested in/often have trouble receiving (WJAC 6-1, 45+ miles away) and it was at 50% signal level, blocky and freezing occasionally. Switching over to my CM-7000 which was feeding my S-video port, I was getting the standard good picture. I unhooked the Pal Plus, put my original DTVPal back in place, and guess what...the signal level on that channel was at 60% and was coming in just fine. (I made sure the signal level hadnt changed in the 45 seconds it took me to hook it back up by switching over to my CM-7000 and checking its signal level before and after).

So in my case, the DTVPal Plus not only didnt do any better than my DTVPal, it actually did worse!

Needless to say I got back in my car, took it back down to Kmart, and got all my money back. Sadly enough the CECB no return with a coupon situation makes me really appreciate a stores regular return policy...glad I didnt waste a coupon on it.
post #105 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM

I noticed that it seemed to pick up stations the same as my Zenith. I do believe the PAL plus is taking the place of the PAL because i was waiting for about 5 weeks for Kmart or Sears to get them in when i ran across these by accident.
post #106 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So in my case, the DTVPal Plus not only didnt do any better than my DTVPal, it actually did worse!

Couldn't you have played with it for more than 15 minutes?

I noticed on the DTVPal Plus, that the male coax connector threads on the tuner don't have as big of a chamfer on the end vs. the DTVPal tuner.
When I attached my existing coax and snugged it up, the center of the coax was still loose and caused a bad signal.
I had to use a different female coax connector to get a tight fit.
post #107 of 401 Old 02-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Couldn't you have played with it for more than 15 minutes?

I could have...the receipt said I had until may to return it. I could have tried different coax cables, etc...but to me that would be giving the DTVPal an unfair advantage...to play with it until it works better. Besides that the coax that I had hooked up fit fine/snug on both the Pal and pal Plus. I didnt see the length of the connector being any shorter on the Pal+ vs the Pal, but if it was it wouldnt have upset things in my case as the threaded area of the F connector on my coax is actually minutely shorter than the standard.

of course with the tuner in the Pal plus being the same as the Pal DVR, that's one more reason to be leery of ordering the DVR.
post #108 of 401 Old 02-10-2009, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, I believe that the Plus will replace the DTVPal (with it's old tuner) when it's stock runs dry.

And what will eventually replace that? The "DTVPal Plus Deluxe"?
post #109 of 401 Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:

So I tuned the DTVpal-plus to the channel I was most interested in/often have trouble receiving (WJAC 6-1, 45+ miles away) and it was at 50% signal level, blocky and freezing occasionally. Switching over to my CM-7000 which was feeding my S-video port, I was getting the standard good picture.

Thanks. I guess I won't be getting a "plus" model if it's inferior to the Channel Master. And I agree with Nwiser that you shouldn't change the cable, because then you've upset the balance of the experiment (comparing like versus like).
post #110 of 401 Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Or, change the cable first if it is causing a problem, and then do a comparision test without any upset in balance.

Kmart allows 90 days to return a CECB. He must have been worried that they were going to go out of business tomorrow?
post #111 of 401 Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

And what will eventually replace that? The "DTVPal Plus Deluxe"?

The aforementioned with a limited time price of $19.99 or, an HDTV with a digital tuner?
post #112 of 401 Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Or, change the cable first if it is causing a problem, and then do a comparision test without any upset in balance.

Kmart allows 90 days to return a CECB. He must have been worried that they were going to go out of business tomorrow?

honestly I was...I figured if I didnt want it there was no need in holding on to it any longer than necessary. With the economy the way it is, you never know who's gonna be around from week to week and I didnt wanna be stuck with something I paid 64 bucks for (59.99 plus tax).

Electric, with people the opinions people have posted here regarding the plus, I would say the fair assessment is that the reception will be no better than the CM-7000, and in some cases (such as mine) it may be worse.

As I did, if you have the money and time, you might wanna go to Kmart and buy it outright to test for yourself.

I just know that for me it didnt meet my expectations, at least not without having to try a bunch of different configurations that I ddint need to get ok reception on the original pal.
post #113 of 401 Old 02-10-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually the Kmart here is doing better than ever, because of the economy. Before, they were always empty and hangin' on by a thread.
post #114 of 401 Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the party Pal ....... Plus.

It looks like the supply of DTVPals is drying up.

My local Kmart was out of them for awhile and now received a large supply of only the DTVPal Plus. $59.99 and no sales tax.

Beeper
post #115 of 401 Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Actually the Kmart here is doing better than ever, because of the economy. Before, they were always empty and hangin' on by a thread.

Are'nt they part of Sears now. All KENMORE and Craftsman stuff now available there now. PAL+ also available at both at same price.

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
post #116 of 401 Old 02-18-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalhotra View Post

Are'nt they part of Sears now.

Other way around.  What was K-Mart acquired what was Sears and then changed its corporate name to Sears.
post #117 of 401 Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalhotra View Post

Are'nt they part of Sears now. All KENMORE and Craftsman stuff now available there now. PAL+ also available at both at same price.

We've got a Sears right across the street from the Kmart here, so they tend to keep most of their stuff separated (although they both do carry the Pal).
post #118 of 401 Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 AM

How does the EPG display compare with other CECB's that show extended program listings, such as that of Channel Master and Digital Stream?
How much program content is actually available for mainstream channels? I have found that with the Insignia, at different times of the day, the percentage of program availability can vary quite a bit.

Does it have two separate screens for displaying the program name and program description?

I am debating on getting either the Channel Master, Apex, Digital Stream, or Pal Plus, mainly to get more information on programs over a longer period of time than "now and next."

Any "quirks" with the most current production run of the Pal Plus? (Seems like every box has some quirk!) Since this box can be operated only from its remote, any quirk with the remote?
post #119 of 401 Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

See the WIKI link in my sig.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #120 of 401 Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

But as I explained before, you can't watch the TV at the same time when you use that guide, which is very annoying. I prefer the CM's method of overlapping all 12 hours of the guide so it doesn't interrupt whatever I'm watching.

Not true.

There are two modes for the guide. One is full tabular version that you get using GUIDE button. Second one, I discovered is, using right arrow > button (browse), which lets you see current channel and guide for current channel by scrolling right, BUT you can ALSO scroll UP/DOWN and see the full guide for current day for any channel, ALL while continuing to watch the channel you are on.

And my unit has been working flawless with great PQ.

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page