Dish Network DTVPal Plus - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 401 Old 03-26-2009, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, at this point I think you also have to take into consideration the potential the box has. My Pal+ currently goes out about 2 days worth of programming but it doesn't stop there because of a limitation of the box. That's the extent that those channels are feeding at this point. Somewhere down the road, possibly June, there may be a week's worth of programming being sent out and the Pal+ will be able to display that. Apparently some boxes will not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 401 Old 03-27-2009, 10:45 AM

It was posted before that the Pal Plus doesn't have any ventilation holes. ???

How can this box not heat up without adequate ventilation during use?

What has been user experience with this not overheating?

How does this box dissipate heat buildup?
post #183 of 401 Old 03-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Me3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr100watt View Post

I have been using mine in TVGOS mode so it has never been turned off. It feels lukewarm (if even that) to the touch so I don't think there is even a need for the ventilation holes.

Steve
post #184 of 401 Old 03-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:

My DTVPal (not Plus) is also in TVGOS mode and thus always on. According to my IR thermometer, right now the average temp across the top of the box is about 103 deg F. The bottom is 115. Ambient room temp is 80.
post #185 of 401 Old 03-31-2009, 06:09 AM

I bought a DTV Pal Plus on Sunday at Sears. I have an RCA F27442 TV. I really like the program guide. I have a question, I have a thin, white line at the top of the picture on my tv. Its not there all the time. Its visible most of the time on WPWR-TV (50.1), and on some programming on the local ABC or CBS affiliate. Anybody else have this problem? I know I can exchange it. This is my 2nd "Pal" unit, the first had this line on all the channels.
post #186 of 401 Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you see the white line in zoom mode, it may be your TV. (Older TV's may have an external vertical hold adjustment. Try that.)
If not, you can hook it up to another TV to check if is different than your TV.

In normal mode you may see a white VBI line on some broadcasts, at the top of the visible picture.
post #187 of 401 Old 03-31-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

If you see the white line in zoom mode, it may be your TV. (Older TV's may have an external vertical hold adjustment. Try that.)
If not, you can hook it up to another TV to check if is different than your TV.

In normal mode you may see a white VBI line on some broadcasts, at the top of the visible picture.

The "converter box" was in "full" or "normal"mode. So I guess thats what I'm seeing. I also have an Insignia box, and it does not do this. The more I read about the DTV Pal, and after my experience with 2 of them, I'm beginning to think its not such a good deal at all. Its a shame, its program guide is really the best.
post #188 of 401 Old 03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryknite View Post

The "converter box" was in "full" or "normal"mode.

The Zenith and Insignia CECB's have more letterbox masking both above and below the visible picture.
You do see considerably less of the vertical image with them, but it does hide the VBI.

In the DTVPal "Full" mode, you shouldn't see the VBI either since the picture will be stretched vertically, over scanning the top of the screen.
post #189 of 401 Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:

The Zenith and Insignia CECB's have more letterbox masking both above and below the visible picture.
You do see considerably less of the vertical image with them, but it does hide the VBI.

In the DTVPal "Full" mode, you shouldn't see the VBI either since the picture will be stretched vertically, over scanning the top of the screen.

The DTVPal was in "normal" mode, not "full" mode. Thanx for your help thus far.
post #190 of 401 Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:

Now I have second thoughts on the Pal Plus. It it does, indeed, offer a better EPG, I would prefer it over the others that just do a 7 to 12 hour program listing. I wonder if after the June digital changeover, if the stations will provide more extensive program listings vs. the current status.

Guide = Pal+
Picture Quality (svideo) = CM

Quote:

My Pal+ sits on top of a lot of electronic equipment that dumps heat constantly. Stays cool and works just fine.
post #191 of 401 Old 04-04-2009, 04:21 PM

Bought another Pal Plus today, still have the same white line at the top of the screen on some channels. I have an RCA model RCA F27442 TV with the On Screen Guide. In going thru the set up for the TV it asks if the TV is hooked up to a cable box. So I answered yes when asked about the cable box, and then it lists a few dozen choices of cable boxes, but none of them are listed as "Dish Network". Once you choose a cable box, it runs some sort of test between the cable box and TV, and then comes back and asks if the cable box is tuned to Channel 9. So I'm thinking I need to find the correct brand of cable box or one that is similar.

So my question, who manufactures the DTV Pal Plus or what manufacturer would be similar? Thanx!
post #192 of 401 Old 04-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

anyone know if the PAL plus will have TVGOS in future models? Would be nice if it had TVguide instead of PSIP

That would truly make it a plus model.
post #193 of 401 Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you have a device that uses the analog TVGOS, the DTVPal (and its relatives) have a mode that they operate as a digital frontend .

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #194 of 401 Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

If you have a device that uses the analog TVGOS, the DTVPal (and its relatives) have a mode that they operate as a digital frontend .

i know that. What I am saying is I want the guide of the plus unit to be like that of the PAL DVR. With the TVGUIDE icon and information is in the GUIDE not the PSIP

I don't have a TV with TVguide in it. I want the box to have it automatically
post #195 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

anyone know if the PAL plus will have TVGOS in future models?

Don't bet the farm on it.
post #196 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:

I have an RCA model RCA F27442 TV with the On Screen Guide. In going thru the set up for the TV it asks if the TV is hooked up to a cable box. So I answered yes when asked about the cable box, and then it lists a few dozen choices of cable boxes, but none of them are listed as "Dish Network". Once you choose a cable box, it runs some sort of test between the cable box and TV, and then comes back and asks if the cable box is tuned to Channel 9. So I'm thinking I need to find the correct brand of cable box or one that is similar.

So my question, who manufactures the DTV Pal Plus or what manufacturer would be similar? Thanx!

If it's like the original DTVPal it will be looking for codes for a Scientific Atlanta cable box. That should be spelled out in the DTVPal manual where it talks about TVGOS setup. One problem you will run into is you can't easily tell if the DTVPal has indeed channed to channel 9 when the setup asks you if it did. The easiest way to tell it's working is to watch the LED on the front of the DTVPal when the setup says it is trying to change the channel. If the communication from your G-link cable is working you will see the LED blink off for an instant a couple of times. If it's not working or you chose the wrong cable box the LED wont blink.

Note that very few cities are currently receiving the legacy TVGOS signal that the DTVPal needs. I'm receiving it here in Houston and a couple of other folks have received it as well. Unfortunately I don't remember which cities they are in.
post #197 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Any rumors on what the next DISH pal box will be and what features?

thanks
post #198 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe they'll come out with a model that you don't have to unplug to reset it when it locks up.
Better yet, they could put a button on the remote that disconnects the power, so you don't have to get out of your chair.
post #199 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe they'll come out with a model that you don't have to unplug to reset it when it locks up.
Better yet, they could put a button on the remote that disconnects the power, so you don't have to get out of your chair.

Well I hooked up a POWER STRIP for my aunt. No bending needed. I put it next to TV. So once a month she can reset the stupid box without falling over while bending.
post #200 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcstuart View Post

If it's like the original DTVPal it will be looking for codes for a Scientific Atlanta cable box. That should be spelled out in the DTVPal manual where it talks about TVGOS setup. One problem you will run into is you can't easily tell if the DTVPal has indeed channed to channel 9 when the setup asks you if it did. The easiest way to tell it's working is to watch the LED on the front of the DTVPal when the setup says it is trying to change the channel. If the communication from your G-link cable is working you will see the LED blink off for an instant a couple of times. If it's not working or you chose the wrong cable box the LED wont blink.

Note that very few cities are currently receiving the legacy TVGOS signal that the DTVPal needs. I'm receiving it here in Houston and a couple of other folks have received it as well. Unfortunately I don't remember which cities they are in.

Thanx for your answer, I'll give it a try. I'm near Chicago, and the TV still receives the guide (I'm assuming TVGOS). I dont have the G-link cable, I "inherited" the set. I really like the guide on the DTV Pal but I'm so unhappy with the "white line" at the top of the picture some of the time. If this doesnt work, I'm just gonna go with the Zenith DTT 901.
post #201 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Looking at "used' remotes on EEEEEbay...(LOL)

Have question(s) for those that know DishNetwork equipment.

(I do NOT have any other Dish equipment, only the DTVPal Plus units -Like the layout of the remote and was wanting "cheap" spares, with the ability to turn on -off Tv /control other devices)

Q 1: What other DishNetwork OEM remotes work with the DTVPal series?

(Maybe I should say, What are the DishNetwork remotes that I should stay away from-
PS: I know the DTVPal is IR only. UHF only remote would of course not work..)

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/REMOTE_CONTROLS.htm

Q2: I saw 3.0, and a 4.0 IR/UHF PRO on EEEBay as a package for pretty cheap- would either of these work on the Pal?

Q3: Is there a way to use a DISH NETWORK: IR-to-UHF Pro upgrade kit - with the DTVPal?

(More than likely not, was just wondering if I see one "cheap" if it would work.)

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/REMOTE_CONTROLS.htm

post #202 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 PM

A friend gave me a never used DTV PAL. I hooked it up in the garage. While it was scanning, the graphics were way out of focus. I though OH OH. However the PQ looks very good now even though the PAL graphics are still out of focus. The build date is April 2008. Has anyone else noticed this problem?
The unit is very nice. Too bad it is not a universal type remote.

Bob 61231
post #203 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Thanx for your answer, I'll give it a try. I'm near Chicago, and the TV still receives the guide (I'm assuming TVGOS). I dont have the G-link cable, I "inherited" the set. I really like the guide on the DTV Pal but I'm so unhappy with the "white line" at the top of the picture some of the time. If this doesnt work, I'm just gonna go with the Zenith DTT 901.

I think you're going to have problems. Jan J. over in the LG 3410a forum is in Chicago and he has not been receiving the legacy TVGOS signal yet. Also, the TVGOS data will be hard to get and use without the G-link. The TV will need that to change channels on the DTVPal. It does that when it's searching the channels for the one transmitting TVGOS data and also when you change channels manually.
post #204 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob View Post

A friend gave me a never used DTV PAL. I hooked it up in the garage. While it was scanning, the graphics were way out of focus. I though OH OH. However the PQ looks very good now even though the PAL graphics are still out of focus. The build date is April 2008. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I, and many others find the opposite. The graphics are very sharp, but the general PQ is soft.

This is through composite, though. I've never even tried it through RF.
post #205 of 401 Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I dont have the G-link cable...

You can find "G-link cables", or "IR blasters" (same thing) cheap online.
post #206 of 401 Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob View Post

on a couple of brands of CECB I've thought the menu screen looked bad. the signal voltage levels are set at a level that creates a bad image on some sets. video transmissions can look OK but the CECB menus might look bad, edges are fuzzy and colors are aligned.
post #207 of 401 Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreNotAlone69 View Post

Looking at "used' remotes on EEEEEbay...(LOL)

Have question(s) for those that know DishNetwork equipment.

(I do NOT have any other Dish equipment, only the DTVPal Plus units -Like the layout of the remote and was wanting "cheap" spares,
with the ability to turn on -off Tv /control other devices)

Q 1: What other DishNetwork OEM remotes work with the DTVPal series?

Just about any Dish remote will work if the remote address is set to #1.
If you want one that resembles the OEM Pal remote, look for 3.0 IR, 3.1 IR, 3.2 IR or 4.0 IR/UHF.
The 3.0 and 4.0 are the TV1 and TV2 remotes for Dish two room receivers.
Dish is issuing the 3.2 remote to Pal users that also have certain Dish satellite receivers and report remote conflicts.

All of these will have a separate TV power button and control TV volume, not the CECB volume.
Also, they can be programmed for your TV, VCR, DVD player, audio amp, etc.

See them here; http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...motehome.shtml

The satellite remote buttons have most of the same labeling as the Pal. The APT and picture mode buttons have different labels.
post #208 of 401 Old 04-06-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

You can find "G-link cables", or "IR blasters" (same thing) cheap online.

Thank you all for all your help. I'm gonna give up. I'm disappointed in the white line at the top of the picture on some channels, while its in "normal" mode. I really like the guide on the DTV Pal Plus, but its not functional with this TV. I have an Insignia box from Best Buy that has worked fine. I'll have to live with the Now/Next program guide and Titan TV.com. Thanx again, all!
post #209 of 401 Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

Well I hooked up a POWER STRIP for my aunt. No bending needed.
I put it next to TV. So once a month she can reset the stupid box without falling over while bending.

I had to bend over and unplug one of my DTVPals again today.
No response to the remote to power it on until I unplugged, replugged and let it reboot.
post #210 of 401 Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcstuart View Post

I think you're going to have problems. Jan J. over in the LG 3410a forum is in Chicago and he has not been receiving the legacy TVGOS signal yet. Also, the TVGOS data will be hard to get and use without the G-link. The TV will need that to change channels on the DTVPal. It does that when it's searching the channels for the one transmitting TVGOS data and also when you change channels manually.

This may be OT, but I'm in the Chicago area and my TVGOS stopped working around the beginning of the year I think. I'm assuming it was because they stopped broadcasting it OTA. It was cool while it lasted.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page