Antenna Problems...Apartment Complexes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been helping a few people getting their DTV converter boxes working with their TVs. Two people in large apartment/condo complexes tried to connect the DTV converter box to the internal TV outlet and when they do a channel scan they get nothing or just a couple channels. Today I was assisting a person in a large apartment complex that was having a hair pulling problem with his DTV converter box. With the TV connected to the internal system (cable outlet on the wall) analog TV reception was excellent. However when I tried to do a channel scan on the DTV converter box connected to the internal cable, we got only 2 channels coming from one station, we should be getting 45 channels. I connected a set of rabbit ears to the input of converter box and did another scan. Now we got 15+ channels. The problem with these large apartment/condo complexes is they have a central antenna that receives individual channels, e.g. 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 36, 54 and then amplifies these signals to all the apartment units. They don't have an amplifier that retransmits channels 2 through 69. What this means is that all the digital channels are left out, no signal. The only way around this is to either talk to the apartment/condo management people or go around them and install your own antenna. Has anyone else had the same experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-16-2008, 07:59 PM

Pesto. I mentioned a similar problem in an assisted living here in Aledo IL. The HUD director says he will not install a new antenna in the attic of the complex. I'm thinking they need a new director. They now have 4,6,8,12 and 18 FOX which has a strong analog signal, with the tower being much closer than the others. I'm hoping HUD can make some kind of a deal with MediaCom.

Bob 61231
post #3 of 4 Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

This probably belongs in the main forum. What this is called is an MATV system, and there's a few MATV experts in that forum.

As for the assisted living director... either he'll make a deal with the dev..err, cable company, update the MATV system, or have a riot on his hands next February. His choice, I suppose. I wouldn't want to face dozens of senior citizens angry because they can't get TV, particularly if _I_ was at fault for it.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-17-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

This probably belongs in the main forum. What this is called is an MATV system, and there's a few MATV experts in that forum.

As for the assisted living director... either he'll make a deal with the dev..err, cable company, update the MATV system, or have a riot on his hands next February. His choice, I suppose. I wouldn't want to face dozens of senior citizens angry because they can't get TV, particularly if _I_ was at fault for it.

AMEN !!! - A very quick way to the unemployment line....

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page