Colors completely messed up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, brand new forumer here.

I have a Sunkey SK-801ATSC box, connected to a 10 year old Sony Trinitron KV-32V26.

The box outputs audio fine, but video is messed up. While the picture shows up completely, the colors are constantly flashing. I've tried connecting the box to 2 VCRs that work normally, and there's no improvement. A good cable was also used, to no avail. The TV is fine from all other sources, incl normal analogue channels.

So, simple, right? The box is at fault. But no, it was brought back to the retailer and the owner plugged it into his TV, and it was fine! So I'm wondering what the problem is.

Any help is appreciated, a video of what it looks like is below. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCaLpt4E_8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Try connecting directly to a different TV in your house. The VCR's probably don't have anything to do with it.

Did you use the RCA's or the RF connection?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
With my 28 year old set, when I connected the CECB (RF connection only), I got b/w. I still get that or bad color occasionally. Flipping channels or turning the tv off and on again (leaving CECB on) is such an easy fix, I haven't checked into what's doing it.

You know it's not the box, but you can test to see if it's your tv, antenna, the contact, or cable itself. I took my indoor antenna with a recently purchased cable to a friend's to compare antennas. [Mine worked better than the rooftop antenna.] Back at home, I reconnected the cable in the reverse direction it had been originally, and got a better signal. Either I got better contact the second time (I'd been careful the first time) or I relieved a crimp somewhere along the line. But I've swapped CECBs around enough to know that contact with CECB or tv can look fully seated, when it's not.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

Try connecting directly to a different TV in your house. The VCR's probably don't have anything to do with it.

Did you use the RCA's or the RF connection?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The box only had ant in, ant out, and composite out.

Pretty straightforward set up, ant in to antenna, ant out to TV, composite to video input

I will try to get it into another TV, the problem is the rest of the TVs in the house are all LCDs/Plasmas

What I do find strange is that not only the picture that is received OTA is affected, but the menus of the box themselves are affected too. I admit I'm an amateur when it comes to A/V things, but would the antenna have an effect on what is displayed by the box itself to the screen?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

With my 28 year old set, when I connected the CECB (RF connection only), I got b/w. I still get that or bad color occasionally. Flipping channels or turning the tv off and on again (leaving CECB on) is such an easy fix, I haven't checked into what's doing it.

You know it's not the box, but you can test to see if it's your tv, antenna, the contact, or cable itself. I took my indoor antenna with a recently purchased cable to a friend's to compare antennas. [Mine worked better than the rooftop antenna.] Back at home, I reconnected the cable in the reverse direction it had been originally, and got a better signal. Either I got better contact the second time (I'd been careful the first time) or I relieved a crimp somewhere along the line. But I've swapped CECBs around enough to know that contact with CECB or tv can look fully seated, when it's not.

I know it's not the composite cable, and it shouldn't be the antenna cable (though I can try). Good point about the antenna cable, though, the cable the box came with is kinda crap, I've never come across a antenna cable that's harder to screw in.

Unfortunately, my dad has an absolute "waste not want not" attitude, but I will try to leave the box on for a day to see if it helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far
post #6 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
tnforevre

I don't mean leaving the CECB on for a long time, just while I switch the tv off and back on again. I get the color back immediately when I cycle the tv off/on.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like your TV's tuner isn't quite locking onto the signal. But that's assuming you're using RF. You never said if you were using RF or composite (your post seems to indicate you have both connected?).
post #8 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Don't be too surprised if it's a crappy RG59 cable from the CECB to the TV. Replacing that might fix it.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #9 of 9 Old 09-17-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforevre View Post

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The box only had ant in, ant out, and composite out.

Pretty straightforward set up, ant in to antenna, ant out to TV, composite to video input

The "Ant. Out" is the RF and the "Composite" is the RCA. You use the RF for "Analog Pass-Through" (APT) and the RCA for better video quality. APT does not work through the RCA connection. If you don't need APT, then the best way to connect the box is through the RCA connection.

Have you tried connecting directly to the TV, instead of through the VCR's? Your post gives the impression that you have both type of connections hooked-up. Do you have this problem on both the Video Input and the Channel 3 or 4?
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page