Venturer STB7766G1 doing damage? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read through some threads on this box but did not see anything come up to answer my question.

Has anyone expirienced this, or any other box, damaging thier television?

I purchase two of these boxes, one for me and one for mom. Shortly after I hooked it up (both through the antenna cable and RCA rabbit ear that support HDTV broadcast) I heard a loud crack and my television went almost black (it was very dark) and lost the sound. I turned the box off and tuned the TV and still the same. I turned the TV off and back on and then the picture was only in the top 1/3 of the screen and distorted. Ultimatly I unplugged the TV and plugged it back in and it is working fine so far.
Days later my mom has no sound. She also unplugged the TV and plugged it back in and it is working again.
I have a Magnavox about 5-6 years old and she has an RCA about 8-9 years old. I think it is an odd coincidence that both TVs' have basicly the same problem around the same time after plugging in the box.
Any thoughts? I am going to get two more boxes. One for my fairly nice 8 year old Toshiba and another for my mom. Neither of us can afford to replace our televisions right now and most likely after the switch in 09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Mike,

My STB7766G1 certainly has not damaged my television, that's all I can tell you.  Unless it does something with the electrical power, and you managed to get two units with the same defect, I can't imagine how it could.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 05:10 AM

NTSC televisions are very robust, and can handle all kinds of signals, even European PAL (sans color) or damaged videotapes that send all kinds of garbage.

I don't see how a DTV box signal could possibly do anything to damage a set.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm assuming these two incidents are at two different residences?

In your mothers case, I'd make sure she didn't press the "Mute" button on the TV remote by accident.

In your case, I'd more likely expect there is a ground problem in the electrical system. If you have a voltmeter, place one lead in the ground socket of the electrical outlet and the other lead should be pressed against the outside of the coax cable end (the metal hex part).

Set the range to read for A/C voltage.
Look to see if there is any voltage showing on the meter (there should be none).
NOTE: Do not touch the metal of the leads with your body!!

If you get a voltage reading, you have a ground potential and need to have an electrician correct the problem.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes both incidents happened in two different places. Also only on televisions with the boxes hooked to them. That is the reason I suspected having something to do with the boxes. Before this happened I would never imagine some thing that is only sending a signal could damage a televsion unless maybe lightning hit the antenna. There was no lightning that day. And I only took high school electronics class and may have missed some thing that day.

I will test for the short. I have one of those three light tester to plug into the socket but will also test it with a dvom
post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The plugin tester will not be the right tool for the job. It is designed to test the outlet only and can not tell you if you have a ground potential across the antenna coax or 300 Ohm cable.

Have you tried returning the CECB for a replacement unit?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

No I have not gone for a replacement. I also sent Venturer a message but got nothing back from them. So far it has not happened again to me. i will ask my mom if it happened to her again. But if it is the box and I got two bad ones who is to say I wont get two more.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page