FCC Chairman Martin Concerned DTV Converter Box Money Could Run Out - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 10-13-2008, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's only $80. Congress probably doesn't care about such a trivial amount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

Just found out today, that the coupons I ordered for a friends address (he knew about), were shreaded in his shreader. He got cold feet about handing them over to me. Thought he would be prosecuted for fraud, if I used them.

I hate when people do that. Is it really so difficult to pick-up the phone and ASK, "Hey are you sure it's okay to give you these coupons?" Then you could have reassured him it's okay by showing him the dtv.gov website.

A coworker did the same to me. I told him how my coupons expired prior to my being able to get a vcr-compatible box, and he agreed to let me use his (since he has cable). Well that was three months ago, and he never did give me the coupons, and I don't think he used them either. $80 wasted.

I don't like people who give you a verbal contract to do something for you, and then suddenly they break that contract. It means their word has no value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 10-13-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiser View Post

a. he's paranoid and b. how good is his shredder? if he shredded the cards, odds are they only cut them into strips (not confetti), which you could easily reassemble and get the numbers off of...assuming he hasnt thrown it all out already. dont hesistate to find out.

He runs a home business and he's one of these guys who buys the best. I'm sure it's a cross-cut. It's a paranoia thing. Still have four with a possible four more.
post #33 of 38 Old 10-13-2008, 09:06 AM

My local Radio Shack dealer told me he was going to ask for picture ID when I redeemed a coupon because the FCC was going to audit his store to make sure the coupon was used by the same person that applied for the coupon.
Wow. Talk about paranoid! Maybe he did not get the memo.

Bob 61231
post #34 of 38 Old 10-13-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob View Post

My local Radio Shack dealer told me he was going to ask for picture ID when I redeemed a coupon because the FCC was going to audit his store to make sure the coupon was used by the same person that applied for the coupon.
Wow. Talk about paranoid! Maybe he did not get the memo.

That is some real BS from that guy. So he gets a visual of your ID and when the FCC audits him () they ask him for his records to match your ID to the coupons......Oh i forgot, Radioshack has brain scanners that will convert his thoughts into video.
More likely the Radioshack guy just wants to be you and is gonna steal your identity
post #35 of 38 Old 10-14-2008, 02:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
No, they just want it as an excuse to get your correct name and address, so they can send you their ads and sell your name and address to mailing list companies.
post #36 of 38 Old 10-14-2008, 07:32 PM

That may be it Radio shack is the place that needs your address and phone number when you buy a 9volt battery.
post #37 of 38 Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Obama may get into the fray:

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-tv-switch/?hp

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #38 of 38 Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Obama may get into the fray:

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-tv-switch/?hp

This clueless twit weighs in:
Quote:

Earlier this week the president of PBS, Paula Kerger, said she's especially concerned that children in less-affluent homes that rely on free television might lose access to PBS educational shows for kids, including Sesame Street,

The gist that I get from reading this forum is that most of the PBS stations have already transitioned. As far as I know Nebraska Educational TV has already transitioned, translators and all, at least in this area. I never heard a peep about kids losing their precious Sesame Street. Had it happened, the news radio stations I listen to would have been all over it.

Would Ms. Kerger deny that such transitions are already well underway and in many areas already completed? Of course she would if it means that she can get more money thrown her way.

The brazen way that this has become a political football is breathtaking although not totally unexpected. I actually figured that the hubris of congress et.al. would have kept them quiet prior to the transition and then the proverbial excrement would have hit the fan. The coup de gras will be when they figure out how to pin this on the current administration but excuse themselves of any responsibility rather than just getting the CBEC program funded and moving again.

"If you're not a part of the solution,there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem."

aka N0NB
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page