VCR recording of DTV coupon boxes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been about two months since I first starting using my VCR with my DTV coupon box. The VCR is a JVC HR-S3900 (bottom line model) with a CM7000 outputting S-video to the recorder. Every day I tape at least 1.5 hours of digital television. I have experienced a few problems where the signal drops-out such that the tape records "signal lost". This is a flaw with 50-mile long-distance reception, not the VCR.

Super VHS mode - The image quality is indistinguishable from the live image. In SP mode there's no visible loss, and the image looks as clear as when I'm watching a DVD. In the slow SLP/EP mode there's a slight blurring on very small print.

VHS mode - Due to horizontal resolution reduction from 704 to 370 pixels, the recorded image has a definite blur, but still looks better than a store-bought movie. And of course it looks better than the old analog signals.

DVR ReplayTV - I also tested my DVR, but the results were less than satisfactory. In nearly-all the modes the Coupon Box image was degraded with lots of macroblocking and pixelation. Based on these results I may sell my DVR.

Internet - I find myself doing a lot less taping than I used to. More-and-more I watch videos downloaded directly off the web, rather than set my recorder. The quality is poor, but the instant access is more convenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-09-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

It's been about two months since I first starting using my VCR with my DTV coupon box.

I have a pair of boxes (Zenith DTT901s) connected to my PC DVRs (Hauppauge tuner/capture cards) If I ever went back to VCRs, it'd be BetaMax.
Quote:
Super VHS mode - The image quality is indistinguishable from the live image. In SP mode there's no visible loss, and the image looks as clear as when I'm watching a DVD. In the slow SLP/EP mode there's a slight blurring on very small print.

VHS mode - Due to horizontal resolution reduction from 704 to 370 pixels, the recorded image has a definite blur, but still looks better than a store-bought movie. And of course it looks better than the old analog signals.

[Conspiracy mode]This is probably why they discontinued VCRs when the digital tuner mandate went into effect. They don't want high quality analog copies of broadcast shows. (no DRM)[/Conspiracy mode]

Quote:
DVR ReplayTV - I also tested my DVR, but the results were less than satisfactory. In nearly-all the modes the Coupon Box image was degraded with lots of macroblocking and pixelation. Based on these results I may sell my DVR.

I get absolutely perfect copies with my capture cards so you might want to check settings. (resolution, bitrate) DVD SP should be pretty good but your box may just have a poor encoder.
Quote:
Internet - I find myself doing a lot less taping than I used to. More-and-more I watch videos downloaded directly off the web, rather than set my recorder. The quality is poor, but the instant access is more convenient.

I have no desire to watch TV on a PC and I'm still trying to maintain the illusion of following copyright rules but anything that's broadcast live OTA should be fair game. (free-to-air = free-to-share?)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #3 of 3 Old 10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Off topic for forum. Topic closed.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page