Have Directv, No locals, only will use 3 channels, which CECB for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey fellas as the title states I am a new directv customer, D* doesnt offer locals in my area I live in a small town where I can only recieve my locals from one station which broadcasts an NBC,FOX,and MY network signal. I have the OTA tuner on my big screen however I still have two analog sets that I will need to put a box on. I have an attaci mount antenna which does an excellent job picking up my station (never goes below 95%) I have the OTA signal diplexed into the Directv line, and will have them diplexed out near the TV.

So since I dont have a need to use the box a lot (since I will only use 3 channels and only 1 most of the time) I was wondering if that would make my box choice a little different.

I think picture quality would be the most important to be. If I could get one that functions with the Directv remote that would be great as well. I just dont think the on screen guide would be too important since I will be using my directv guide to see what on then flip over as necessary.

Any help on this selection is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not really - any of the CECBs will work just fine for you.If you're that remote, you might want to look at ones with a more sensitive tuner.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #3 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 AM

Do the analog TV's have S-video in? You say PQ is most important to you, so if they do,
consider the Apex DT-502 or the ChannelMaster CM-7000.

For composite out, I found the Zenith DTT-901 as good or better than the CM-7000, and noticably better than the Digital Stream DS-9000 (now replaced with APT DS-9500).

If no S-video, I'd recommend the Zenith.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 07:36 AM

You might also want to consider using a DirecTV box that can tune OTA instead of a CECB. I don't know what DirecTV receivers you currently have, but all of their HD-DVR's, and some other HD receivers can tune OTA and integrate the channel guide (and recording ability for DVRs) right in one box. You can use an HD receiver with a SD television, too.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post

You might also want to consider using a DirecTV box that can tune OTA instead of a CECB. I don't know what DirecTV receivers you currently have, but all of their HD-DVR's, and some other HD receivers can tune OTA and integrate the channel guide (and recording ability for DVRs) right in one box. You can use an HD receiver with a SD television, too.

While that sounds good, he might run into problems if he tries to use an MPEG-2 only D* HD receiver with ATSC tuner. Eventually, his HD channels may be unviewable on those other sets with such a box.

I understand that the latest DirecTV receivers don't have OTA capabilities. Maybe someone else can tell us if there are ones that will handle MPEG-4 and have a built-in ATSC tuner.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

None of the new D* boxes come with a built in OTA tuner. You have to purchase an "AM-21 add-on OTA tuner box" and connect that to your DVR. And currently, it does not work with any D* HD receivers - only HD DVRs.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualOTAer View Post

While that sounds good, he might run into problems if he tries to use an MPEG-2 only D* HD receiver with ATSC tuner. Eventually, his HD channels may be unviewable on those other sets with such a box.

I understand that the latest DirecTV receivers don't have OTA capabilities. Maybe someone else can tell us if there are ones that will handle MPEG-4 and have a built-in ATSC tuner.

Actually, an MPEG-2 only D* HD receiver w/ ATSC tuner (receiver model #H10, or DVR model #HR10-250) would work fine as a replacement for an SD receiver, when used on an SD TV, It would not receive MPEG-4 from the sats, but that is HD only anyway. It would receive all of the same SD channels that any other D* box can receive, as well as OTA channels.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

None of the new D* boxes come with a built in OTA tuner. You have to purchase an "AM-21 add-on OTA tuner box" and connect that to your DVR. And currently, it does not work with any D* HD receivers - only HD DVRs.

You can generally get the AM-21 free from D* if you call and complain that they don't offer your locals over the satellite. I got mine free even though they do have my locals on sat.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

I do have the AM-21. The idea of the older D* hd receivers with the builtin tuner isnt a bad idea, but it would end up being more money Id want to spend.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Actually, an MPEG-2 only D* HD receiver w/ ATSC tuner (receiver model #H10, or DVR model #HR10-250) would work fine as a replacement for an SD receiver, when used on an SD TV, It would not receive MPEG-4 from the sats, but that is HD only anyway. It would receive all of the same SD channels that any other D* box can receive, as well as OTA channels.

Sorry, I thought your earlier post was advising him that he could watch downconverted HD on his SD TV with the right D* receiver. But not if it is MPEG-2 only and his HD is encoded as MPEG-4. That was my point.

So the choice of receiver may be important to him. He may prefer an MPEG-4 capable unit with an outboard ATSC tuner over an MPEG-2 unit with built-in ATSC. It's something to figure out before going shopping for additional receivers, I'd imagine.

If I'm understanding this wrong, please set me straight.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post

I do have the AM-21. The idea of the older D* hd receivers with the builtin tuner isnt a bad idea, but it would end up being more money Id want to spend.

OK, disregard my earlier posts on White Pelican's D* receiver suggestion.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-17-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post

I can only recieve my locals from one station which broadcasts an NBC,FOX,and MY network signal.

What are the call letters on this station? Do they broadcast two of those channels in HD? (just curious)
post #13 of 14 Old 10-17-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualOTAer View Post

...the choice of receiver may be important to him.

If considering buying an old mpeg2 receiver and if locals via sat are important, make sure your locals are not MPEG4.

Some markets' SD locals are in MPEG4 or will be migrating to MPEG4 in the next few months.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy View Post

What are the call letters on this station? Do they broadcast two of those channels in HD? (just curious)

Yep WTAP in Parkersburg WV NBC and FOX are broadcast in HD.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page