Need advice on connecting VCR + digital TV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whidbey: thanks. great suggestion on replacing the splitters!

System2000: Thanks for the suggestion for where to purchase the splitters for a great price.

I am a little curious on your recommendation for the ChannelMaster CECB: will this unit allow the digital signal to 'pass through' the box to the TV, while at the same time utilize a second output from the box to connect to my VCR, like the Zinwell ZAT-970A model recommended by other posters on this thread? I thought that the Zinwell was unique in that ability, because using that Zinwell unit will prevent me from having to use a splitter at the TV/VCR side, with one split going to the DTV and the other split going into the CECB. Does this ChannelMaster unit also have this capability?

Thanks again,

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 11-04-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're talking about the Channel Master items I pointed out, they are not CECB's. They are Distribution Amplifiers (DA) with two output. If you need a DA, you use them in place of your splitter(s).

USEFUL LINKS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 46 Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Argh! Dopey me! Thanks, System2000....actually, I was looking for a recommendation on a 2 output DA (as originally suggested by Johnpost), so this is great! Sorry that I didn't click the link you provided and figure that out for myself in the first place...I'm getting too lazy! 8-(

Doug
post #34 of 46 Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked in my garage where the coax cable from the roof-mounted antenna enters the house: there is a 3-way splitter. The splitter is a CV61 and has 5-900 MHz printed on it. So, being the observant person that I am, it appears that I will need to replace that splitter with the distribution amplifier. I noticed that the Channel Master unit that Systems2000 provided a link for to the Solid Signal Web site has a dual-output. So I poked around Solid Signal's Web site and could not find a distribution amp with one input and 3 outputs, like the splitter. Any suggestions?

The 2nd splitter, which is in the basement and splits that coax into 2 outputs, I still plan to replace with a new 2 GHz splitter as Whidbey had suggested.

Doug
post #35 of 46 Old 11-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is the third line even hooked up to anything? Do you know where it goes?

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #36 of 46 Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I see I made a mistake on the DA. You want the 3412, not the 3410. Channel Master makes four different versions of this DA.

3410 Single Port Bi-Directional Drop Amplifier
3412 2-way Bi-Directional Drop Amplifier <------- This is the one
3414 4-way Bi-Directional Drop Amplifier
3418 8-way Bi-Directional Drop Amplifier

You can also find these and splitters at http://www.SummitSource.com/

USEFUL LINKS:

post #37 of 46 Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

partsman_ba: yes, the 3 outputs on the splitter in my garage are all connected to coax. There are connections in each of the house's 3 bedrooms, as well as one in the LR (where one of my DTVs/VCR are hooked up), and another in the basement (used by my CRT TV + DVD recorder) and lastly an outlet in the kitchen (used by my 2nd DTV/DVD recorder). I know that one of the cables exiting the 3-output splitter in the garage goes into the basement to a 2 - output splitter whose output feeds the basement TV and the kitchen TV. The other 2 outputs from the 3 - output splitter in the garage must feed the LR and bedroom outlets. I do not have anything connected to the outlets in the bedrooms.

systems2000: since I want to replace the 3 - output splitter in the garage with a DA, don't I want the Channel Master 3414 (which has 4 outputs)? I just would not use the 4th output.
post #38 of 46 Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
That would work, and probably better than the splitter currently in use .

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #39 of 46 Old 11-15-2008, 10:46 AM

I purchased a digital tv which is due tues- I asked if they can set it up so my digitastream9500 box would go to the vcr. This way I have 2 digital tuners. I want to watch and record seperately. I'm confused about the splitters.. The salesman said nothing about it.. and will this model converter box hooked up to a digital tv allow me to continue to tape & view? Thank you
post #40 of 46 Old 11-15-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

You will need a 2-way splitter to feed the DS and the DTV. From the DS, use the RCA cable to feed your VCR. Then feed your DTV (from the VCR) with the RCA connection.

If you have S-Video available to your new DTV, use that from the VCR.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #41 of 46 Old 11-15-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

You will need a 2-way splitter to feed the DS and the DTV. From the DS, use the RCA cable to feed your VCR. Then feed your DTV (from the VCR) with the RCA connection.

If you have S-Video available to your new DTV, use that from the VCR.

Thank you- it scares me now because the salesmen didn't mention this & I hope the person I paid to set up will bring the splitter & the rca cable. I have this brand tv in a 13" and it came w/ coax- I will check in this week and see if it works and the vcr picks up digital stations. I hope so.. that's the whole point. I'm just not understanding it. I had no problem hooking up the DS to my analog tv -- but I wonder how the vcr scans channels and how the vcr remote works- guess I'll know tuesday- or call Monday so they bring the right splitter and cables.. I need to check if I have the S video option too-- Thanks for bringing this to my attention-
post #42 of 46 Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The VCR is set to do all it's recording on Line "L" (or channel 3/4, if you are not using the RCA cables) and the DS does all the channel control. If you need to record more than one channel over a period of time (and you will not be around), you'll need either a Zinwell ZAT-970A, DTVPal, or an APEX DT502 converter box.

The DS doesn't have the ability to change channels on it's own.

USEFUL LINKS:

post #43 of 46 Old 11-16-2008, 11:00 AM

Thank you systems2000-- I already have my analog tv set up to the DS & could not figure out how the vcr remote would work. It won't- and the vcr front panel looks like I could program and ff -rw etc.. But that's not what I was going for... When you said the DS does not change the channels- I understand & was mislead by the salesperson too.

I can't see a way to proram the remote to the DS-- & I'm not so sure it's worth tracking down the other models that allow it... I've been searching this morning for the Zinwell & Zat and Zip !! I really appreciate this because it would be a big let down Tuesday after I get the new digital tv- what's the point of connecting the vcr now? I have time- either a new box - like the DTVPal ( my coupons are used) or.. a dvd recorder w/ a digital tuner..

This is so frustrating to have to take out 2 items that work perfectly and spend money I don't have on tv's and boxes or dvd recorders. Thanks again, - & once again- what is your opinion- a box that you listed or go for a dvd recorder w/ a tuner? Thank you and sorry to bother- but I'd rather try & purchase what I need before the tv gets here ..
post #44 of 46 Old 11-16-2008, 03:16 PM

> I've been searching this morning for the Zinwell & Zat and Zip !!

I've seen Zinwell CECBs at a Meijer and at a Jewel in the Chicago suburbs.
post #45 of 46 Old 11-16-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks- I'll call a few Jewel Stores- I don't know if this is the route I'm going, . I did see it at Amazon but thanks again & I will let you know by Tuesday- but the price is what's stopping me now. I used my coupons on the DS!!
post #46 of 46 Old 11-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital103 View Post

Thanks- I'll call a few Jewel Stores- I don't know if this is the route I'm going, . I did see it at Amazon but thanks again & I will let you know by Tuesday- but the price is what's stopping me now. I used my coupons on the DS!!

The Jewel was listed on my coupon information sheet whic was the only reason I even stopped there. At that time, you had to go to the customer service desk and they were in the back. At the Meijer, they were out with the other TV stuff.

As for another card, if you can find someone who doesn't need one and is willing, they can always request one and then give it to you.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page